PDA

View Full Version : Manu Needs to Start

beirmeistr
11-06-2009, 11:15 AM
I know this subject has been covered pretty thoroughly in the past and that my view is a minority view, but I believe that the time has come for Manu to start again for the following reasons:
1. The Spurs appear to be disoriented and floundering with new faces,
older players, etc. A change is needed.
2. Manu is older, less explosive, and more wary of his potential for injury.
Thus, if he overexerts himself trying to be an explosive, energized
sparkplug off the bench, his chances for injuries are greater as a
bench player than as a starter, where he has other big guns on the
floor.
3. Pop's perennial excuse for using Manu as a sixth man because of a
shitty bench no longer holds water because even without Manu, the
Spurs have a respectable bench.
If Pop starts Manu, then he can get his rhythm back faster and he can be more comfortable playing with Tim, Tony, and Jefferson at the same time, which is important since this group will be in the end game of close games.
As far as controlling his minutes so that he doesn't get too tired, Manu can be the first starter to get rest.
Most fans' arguments for Manu not starting is that he must be preserved for the playoffs. I say that he has a better chance for preservation as a starter, where he is one of 4 big guns, than as the sixth man, where too much is expected of him.

lefty
11-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Ok

Riverwalkman
11-06-2009, 11:31 AM
My point is Manu should be a backup. He is a scorer, Spurs' main problem is not scoring.

He should coming off bench with Blair, and Spurs could give Blair more opportunities to play down low, to save Manu's legs.

mystargtr34
11-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Im still not sold on George Hill - so i think the Spurs are better off keeping Manu on the bench.

alchemist
11-06-2009, 11:38 AM
You could start Tony/Manu/Tim/Jefferson/Mason all the top guns, but that is not going to solve the issue at hand. The interior defense is atrocious, when you have Okur doing his best Duncan impression on the Spurs you have serious problems at hand.

coyotes_geek
11-06-2009, 11:44 AM
I'd give starting Manu a shot. The whole team seems to just feed off of whatever the energy level is in the first 5 minutes of the game. Even though Manu is playing well, that proverbial spark off the bench he's supposed to provide doesn't seem to be igniting anyone else's play right now. Why not start him and see if he can set the tone early and the bench guys can sustain it?

TMTTRIO
11-06-2009, 11:58 AM
I would think about starting him (hey if it gets Michael Finley out of the starting lineup that's even better). Manu's always been brought off the bench because he brings a huge burst of energy that seems to change the game around. I haven't really seen that huge spark that he usually brings (other than the bat) that changes the game and I don't know but he seems bored and not going all out. It could because he doesn't want to get injured again and wants to stay healthy. I do think if that's the case playing with Tim, Tony, and RJ might be a good thing. Besides this year we finally have a deep bench that can do that with George Hill and Blair.

LION20
11-06-2009, 12:04 PM
I'd give starting Manu a shot. The whole team seems to just feed off of whatever the energy level is in the first 5 minutes of the game. Even though Manu is playing well, that proverbial spark off the bench he's supposed to provide doesn't seem to be igniting anyone else's play right now. Why not start him and see if he can set the tone early and the bench guys can sustain it?

That's true we need to start our best starting five and set the tone eary in the game. Tim/Dice/Jefferson/Manu/Parker. I think Bonner and Finley will play better against opponents bench players not there starters. We just can't have Blair and Bonner out there at the same time.

EmptyMan
11-06-2009, 12:12 PM
The Spurs problems have nothing to do with Manu.

TJastal
11-06-2009, 02:23 PM
That's true we need to start our best starting five and set the tone eary in the game. Tim/Dice/Jefferson/Manu/Parker. I think Bonner and Finley will play better against opponents bench players not there starters. We just can't have Blair and Bonner out there at the same time.

+1

I've been praying for this lineup since day 1 to open every game with and I think it would be a tremendous boost to start every game with these 5 players, from a psychological standpoint of setting a tone early on that will carry throughout the course of the game.

And I like Ginobili in the starting lineup for additional reasons:

1. Roger Mason Jr is playing good off the bench and plays well with Hill.

2. Hill, Mason, and Blair can give that 2nd unit plenty of scoring punch, Manu is not necessarily needed to provide the spark anymore. Hill needs to start being the main ballhandler for him to be effective and keep his confidence high.

3. Manu needs to pick his spots more, as a starter this will be much more likely to happen if he is deferring to TP and TD. Let's face it, wild and crazy Manu creating something every play used to be money in the bank, now its just as likely to end up in a foul or turnover. He is just not the player he used to be, the mind still says yes, but the body no. He can still be effective in spots though, and this is much more likely to happen in the starting unit.

xtremesteven33
11-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Once Bonner and Finley stop playing then i GUARANSHEED you will see a different Spurs team. Its really thay simple....

timvp
11-06-2009, 02:30 PM
I think Pop should start Manu at some point just to see how it looks. I'm usually against the idea but I'm more for it now because I don't like the Hill and Manu combination. They've just never clicked. Manu seems to want to play PG when he's paired with Hill and then Hill turns ultra passive most of the time. When playing at the same time, there just always appears to be a lot of uncertainty.

Perhaps that will fix itself with time but if it doesn't in another 10 to 15 games, starting Manu and having Hill play more with Duncan and Jefferson makes sense to me.

elec99
11-06-2009, 02:42 PM
I say whatever gets manu to penetrate/drive more as opposed to settling for shots all the time.

NRHector
11-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Once Bonner and Finley stop playing then i GUARANSHEED you will see a different Spurs team. Its really thay simple....:tu

alchemist
11-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Once Bonner and Finley stop playing then i GUARANSHEED you will see a different Spurs team. Its really thay simple....
that's complete BS. :wakeup

xtremesteven33
11-06-2009, 05:50 PM
that's complete BS. :wakeup

Bonner is the worst starting Center in the NBA. Having him next to Duncan to go up against the elitle teams in the NBA is a joke. If Duncan wasnt such a class act he wouldve already made it public about his fustration with Bonner.

Finley, well its pretty much known why he shouldnt be starting.

alchemist
11-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Bonner is the worst starting Center in the NBA. Having him next to Duncan to go up against the elitle teams in the NBA is a joke. If Duncan wasnt such a class act he wouldve already made it public about his fustration with Bonner.

Our other bigs aren't doing a better job either, I understand people want to put Theo in the starting lineup but he'll still get burned off the dribble. If it means winning I'm down for any lineup, but just by benching Bonner/Finley the Spurs aren't magically going to turn into a powerhouse defensive team.

temujin
11-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Manu needs to wok on his defense.
He looked pretty slow and passive last night.

rayray2k8
11-06-2009, 06:36 PM
After the way he played yesterday, you should worry more about him regaining his rhythm before he gets the nod as a starter.

lennyalderette
11-06-2009, 06:37 PM
I think Pop should start Manu at some point just to see how it looks. I'm usually against the idea but I'm more for it now because I don't like the Hill and Manu combination. They've just never clicked. Manu seems to want to play PG when he's paired with Hill and then Hill turns ultra passive most of the time. When playing at the same time, there just always appears to be a lot of uncertainty.

Perhaps that will fix itself with time but if it doesn't in another 10 to 15 games, starting Manu and having Hill play more with Duncan and Jefferson makes sense to me.

good observation

lennyalderette
11-06-2009, 06:42 PM
i mean seriously it should be tim dice manu jefferson and tony starting!! and with our bench being hill mason finley blair and bonner i mean think about it manu is a great player but he used to be that huge spark off the bench and now he is 32 and should be playing with other starters. i think one reason they might not be clicking is because pop is rotating them in and out like crazy!! they need to have a set role

Spurs#1
11-06-2009, 07:31 PM
You guys are aware we've done the same song and dance for a couple years. Yes Manu will eventually start sometime this season, and then he'll probably be on the bench again or maybe not.

JustinJDW
11-06-2009, 07:55 PM
I don't care if he starts or comes off the Bench, he needs to drive more and stop settiling for jumpers. The same thing goes for Richard Jefferson. If I wasn't watching basketball last season and someone told me RJ was averaging 20 PPG and was the best player of another Team, I would have laughed in your face.

Richard Jefferson should be driving to the hole like a lot. When he does, he either scores, gets fouled or kicks it out to the open man for a good look.

SA210
11-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Yes, he should start, and should have ALWAYS started.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't mind either way about Manu, but I don't think he's the major problem right now - Dice for Bonner is the move that absolutely has to be made.

timvp's observation is interesting - I agree, it is as if Manu doesn't trust George to run the team, and it reduces the effectiveness of both.

Hell, start Manu, Finley or Mason, I don't care, JUST GET DICE IN THERE.

ducks
11-06-2009, 08:41 PM

manu needs to trust hill
pop does
MANU NEEDS TO FUCKING GROW Up

spursfan1000
11-06-2009, 08:42 PM
I would insert Manu into the starting lineup and bring Richard Jefferson off the block...Richard Jefferson is younger and can handle more contact than Manu...RJ could bring solid points off the bench.

bigdog
11-06-2009, 09:26 PM
I'd rather have Manu coming off the bench. Richard cannot come off the bench. If you put Manu into the starting lineup, who's going to bring the offensive punch off the bench?

SA210
11-07-2009, 11:19 AM
I would insert Manu into the starting lineup and bring Richard Jefferson off the block...Richard Jefferson is younger and can handle more contact than Manu...RJ could bring solid points off the bench.

ohmwrecker
11-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Our other bigs aren't doing a better job either, I understand people want to put Theo in the starting lineup but he'll still get burned off the dribble. If it means winning I'm down for any lineup, but just by benching Bonner/Finley the Spurs aren't magically going to turn into a powerhouse defensive team.

McDyess looks pretty good with that 16 ft jumper. He could spread the floor for Timmy just as easily as Bonner. I think Manu should start. The bench should be good enough without him. Hill/Mason/Blair off the bench seems like a good combo and fill in the 3 & 5 depending on matchups. I just believe you should start your best players.

TJastal
11-07-2009, 01:24 PM
McDyess looks pretty good with that 16 ft jumper. He could spread the floor for Timmy just as easily as Bonner. I think Manu should start. The bench should be good enough without him. Hill/Mason/Blair off the bench seems like a good combo and fill in the 3 & 5 depending on matchups. I just believe you should start your best players.

+1 on all points.

Been saying these things since before the pre-season.

ElNono
11-07-2009, 01:32 PM

I want Theo bolted under the basket, not chasing people around. A lot like what Rasho and Nazr used to do for us. I don't know if in the starting lineup, but instead of going small ball against two towers, like last night, play him next to Tim instead of Finley at PF.

kace
11-07-2009, 02:35 PM

good observation but that would imply to lose Tim and Tony PnR.

Pop likes to play tony and tim together and i think he's right. also, manu and tony can bring the same thing to the game and it's interesting to see at least one of them on the court.

Hill has a problem if he struggles to play with tony and with manu, two of the three main players of the team.

Pop has simply to make sure they share the ball to initiate an offense when manu and hill are on the court as manu and tony do.

CGD
11-07-2009, 02:48 PM
It has nothing to do with Manu trusting Hill. Spurs run similar sets when Parker and Manu are paired together too. Pay attention to the plays called because it's more about that than anything else. Pop just calls Manu's number more when he's leading the bench crew.

SenorSpur
11-07-2009, 03:09 PM
I know this subject has been covered pretty thoroughly in the past and that my view is a minority view, but I believe that the time has come for Manu to start again for the following reasons:
1. The Spurs appear to be disoriented and floundering with new faces,
older players, etc. A change is needed.
2. Manu is older, less explosive, and more wary of his potential for injury.
Thus, if he overexerts himself trying to be an explosive, energized
sparkplug off the bench, his chances for injuries are greater as a
bench player than as a starter, where he has other big guns on the
floor.
3. Pop's perennial excuse for using Manu as a sixth man because of a
shitty bench no longer holds water because even without Manu, the
Spurs have a respectable bench.
If Pop starts Manu, then he can get his rhythm back faster and he can be more comfortable playing with Tim, Tony, and Jefferson at the same time, which is important since this group will be in the end game of close games.
As far as controlling his minutes so that he doesn't get too tired, Manu can be the first starter to get rest.
Most fans' arguments for Manu not starting is that he must be preserved for the playoffs. I say that he has a better chance for preservation as a starter, where he is one of 4 big guns, than as the sixth man, where too much is expected of him.

No. What Manu needs to do is understand when should play within himself and allow the game to come to him on nights that he's clearly struggling. Stop taking ill-advised, momemtum-killing, shots. Stop forcing bad passes at the knees and feet of bigmen, and stop committing dumb-ass fouls.

If you need a painful example, look no further than the ill-fated foul on Dirk in Game 7 of the 2006 WCSF. I love Manu to death. He's one of the best closers in the NBA. Yet that was probably the dumbest foul in the history of the NBA. That one single play continues to haunt because it likely cost the Spurs a 5th championship in 2006. Why Manu, Why?

SpurNation
11-07-2009, 05:56 PM
With this I agree.

angelbelow
11-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Im open to this idea as Pop seems to be experimenting anyways. Since were getting off to slow starts, putting Manu in (who also knows the system) rather than Finley (or maybe bogans) might prevent us from such sluggish starts.

SenorSpur
11-07-2009, 07:28 PM
good observation but that would imply to lose Tim and Tony PnR.

Pop likes to play tony and tim together and i think he's right. also, manu and tony can bring the same thing to the game and it's interesting to see at least one of them on the court.

Hill has a problem if he struggles to play with tony and with manu, two of the three main players of the team.

Pop has simply to make sure they share the ball to initiate an offense when manu and hill are on the court as manu and tony do.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. Hill does indeed turn passive when paired with Manu. The only time Manu needs to have the ball in his hands is closing out quarters and games. Otherwise, he needs to allow the PG to run the show. He's still great enough of a player that he can affect the game in all sorts of other ways (i.e. shooting, passing, rebounding, steals, etc.)

Doctor J
11-07-2009, 08:20 PM
I don't know if Manu is comfortable playing with Tony these days.

Both like to have the ball in their hands, and both like to penetrate.

When both are on the court, Manu seems to be passive and therefore less effective.

I used to prefer Manu coming off the bench and sparking the Spurs' offense.

But this season, I tend to agree with you that Manu can be better if he starts.

You guys may say this is crazy, but I'de like to start Hill and Manu with Tony coming off the bench.

SpurNation
11-07-2009, 11:03 PM
You guys may say this is crazy, but I'de like to start Hill and Manu with Tony coming off the bench.

Yep...crazy

murpjf88
11-08-2009, 01:20 AM
manu should stay where he is, coming off the bench.

KenziE
11-08-2009, 05:51 AM

100% True !!! Tim is such a class act he wont call out POP in public or call out Pop at all .... man so sad timmy is playin with a dummy instead of dice or even Ian or Theo so sad indeed .............