PDA

View Full Version : USAA Eligibility opened wide

Drachen
11-06-2009, 01:43 PM
As of yesterday it was opened to all servicemembers who have ever had a honorable discharge from the military. Very cool!

Soul_Patch
11-06-2009, 01:55 PM
I dropped USAA this past year. I used to love them. They had fantastic customer service, always went the extra mile for me. Over the past 5 - 10 years that has changed drastically. They went to a members only, club type environment to a profit hungry corp. I can get a profit hungry corp anywhere, so i went with Geico for auto, and KB Home insurance for property. Both were substantially cheaper.

Example of USAA's downturn: 1997 got in a car wreck. Total loss, tons of stuff in car destroyed. I got reimbursed probably in less than a couple of weeks. Had a hard time finding reciepts for stuff, but the adjuster went ouf of her way to take care of stuff, calling me and updating me every step of the way.

2007, brand new car, lady rear ended me on the way to work. Thought, oh well, sucks, but i've got USAA no big deal. Called and made a claim, then waited. Adjuster never called. Finally made my own arrangements to get car fixed, and called back to USAA to try and reach the assigned adjuster, left message. 12hrs later, no call. Called again left another message. 24hrs later they are calling me telling me my car will be fixed by the end of the week. Called to adjuster again, still no answer, left message for boss now. 12hrs after that the adjuster called me to get statement. Long story short, car was ready to be picked up and she hadn't even contacted the other driver yet. I called to ask about coverage, she said i would have to pay for it. I asked why, she said the lady was uninsured. I have uninsured coverage.....oh yea....I asked if she called the number and policy she gave, she said yea, Geico said she isnt a customer. The paperwork clearly said statefarm!?! wtf....After all this i had to get a manager from home owners policies on the phone finally, since the adjuster mgr never called back. He sorted it out finally, just paid for everything and waived my deductible for the hassle.

long story, but thats why i think USAA isnt any better than the rest.

chode_regulator
11-07-2009, 01:37 AM
As of yesterday it was opened to all servicemembers who have ever had a honorable discharge from the military. Very cool!
I thought they were always open to military people? Or did you used to have to sign up while still in?

I dropped USAA this past year. I used to love them. They had fantastic customer service, always went the extra mile for me. Over the past 5 - 10 years that has changed drastically. They went to a members only, club type environment to a profit hungry corp. I can get a profit hungry corp anywhere, so i went with Geico for auto, and KB Home insurance for property. Both were substantially cheaper.

Example of USAA's downturn: 1997 got in a car wreck. Total loss, tons of stuff in car destroyed. I got reimbursed probably in less than a couple of weeks. Had a hard time finding reciepts for stuff, but the adjuster went ouf of her way to take care of stuff, calling me and updating me every step of the way.

2007, brand new car, lady rear ended me on the way to work. Thought, oh well, sucks, but i've got USAA no big deal. Called and made a claim, then waited. Adjuster never called. Finally made my own arrangements to get car fixed, and called back to USAA to try and reach the assigned adjuster, left message. 12hrs later, no call. Called again left another message. 24hrs later they are calling me telling me my car will be fixed by the end of the week. Called to adjuster again, still no answer, left message for boss now. 12hrs after that the adjuster called me to get statement. Long story short, car was ready to be picked up and she hadn't even contacted the other driver yet. I called to ask about coverage, she said i would have to pay for it. I asked why, she said the lady was uninsured. I have uninsured coverage.....oh yea....I asked if she called the number and policy she gave, she said yea, Geico said she isnt a customer. The paperwork clearly said statefarm!?! wtf....After all this i had to get a manager from home owners policies on the phone finally, since the adjuster mgr never called back. He sorted it out finally, just paid for everything and waived my deductible for the hassle.

Can't say they're teh best or the worst. But judging a company based on one lady's ineptitude seems a little extreme.
For me at least, they are WAAAAAYYYYY cheaper than anyone else I've ever gotten a quote from. Been in 3 accidents over the years, though twice was when I was still in HS and on my parents policy back in 01 I believe, and never had a problem with them.

Drachen
11-07-2009, 03:31 AM
I thought they were always open to military people? Or did you used to have to sign up while still in?

Can't say they're teh best or the worst. But judging a company based on one lady's ineptitude seems a little extreme.
For me at least, they are WAAAAAYYYYY cheaper than anyone else I've ever gotten a quote from. Been in 3 accidents over the years, though twice was when I was still in HS and on my parents policy back in 01 I believe, and never had a problem with them.

It was only officers for the first 65 years or so, then it went to current enlisted, then it went to enlisted who served through 1997 and now it is all enlisted who ever served with an honorable discharge.

Twisted_Dawg
11-07-2009, 07:07 AM
If you ever worked there and then were brutally kicked to the curb like so many here in San Antonio and elsewhere, might lead you to have a different opinion of USAA.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83058

exstatic
11-07-2009, 11:46 AM

The guy who was the CEO in 2007 was fired. He was trying to push EVERYTHING onto the web, and eliminate talking to a person altogether. A lot of the older people just DON'T want to use it, and they complained bitterly. The new guy, Joe Robles, is very CS oriented. I think he's realized that there are people that ONLY want to talk to a CS rep, and people who NEVER want to talk to a CS rep and want to to everything on the web, and that if you eliminate one method to cut costs, those customers go away.

CubanMustGo
11-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Three USAA claims related to hail damage (roof and two cars) earlier this year, handled very professionally and payments were made promptly. Despite payout of $25K no rate increases, either.

Bender
11-08-2009, 08:30 PM
great service, but they are as expensive as all hell...

even people who have worked there for 25+ years get their insurance at other places... at least people I know.

I have my HO insurance there, but they raise my premiums up a lot every single year, even though I have never used it.