PDA

View Full Version : Let me Get This Straight Pop

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-18-2005, 09:27 PM
A guy is 1-9 and you draw up a play for him to shoot at the end of the game?

And you sit a guy who is 9-11 on the night?

Unbelievable.

Tpark, if ever there was a time for you admit to Pop screwing up the offense at the end of games, this is it.

T Park
04-18-2005, 09:29 PM
only you would bitch about a meaningless game.

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Why did we go for a three?!?

If Manu went in a scored... or even drew a foul....

:pctoss

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-18-2005, 09:30 PM
TPark, you're a retard.

Hey, if it doesn't matter, why play it? Why risk injuring Duncan? Why not give Manu a breather?

You have got more excuses for Pop's mistakes than Pop does.

T Park
04-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Of course you would also know the ORIGINAL play.

You would know, what the play was, everything right.

Of course, you know everything.....

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-18-2005, 09:32 PM
TPARK,

Glenn Robinson wasn't even on the FLOOR. I know it probably hurts, but try using your brain.

Walton Buys Off Me
I'm usually a strong Pop defender but this loss is solely on his shoulders tonight. Where the fuck was Udrih in the fourth?

SequSpur
RUN PICK AND ROLL AT THE TOP WITH MANU AND DUNCAN, AND YOU GET A GUARANTEED BUCKET.

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT??????????????

TIM DUNCAN IS NOT READY. POP IS STILL A FUCKING IDIOT.

I'M FUCKING PISSED.

AGAIN.

timvp
04-18-2005, 09:33 PM
An Horry shot at the end of a game is usually going down.

The mistake was having Mohammed in there on the last defensive stand. He's the team's worst defender as far as rotating to the right guy ... and he proved it again by leaving Miller wide open for the game winner.

TwoHandJam
04-18-2005, 09:33 PM
This loss is definitely on Pop. Keeping Wilks in the game when he really wanted the win cost us.

Stupid move Pop.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-18-2005, 09:34 PM
LJ, Horry was 1-9. Sorry, he shouldn't have even been in the game. How can you justify sitting a guy who's 9-11 in favor of one who's 1-9 for the last shot?

Aggie Hoopsfan
Oh wait, I know, if Malik was here, he would have won it at the end for us :lol

SequSpur
This loss is definitely on Pop. Keeping Wilks in the game when he really wanted the win cost us.

Stupid move Pop.

When Wilks came in the Spurs were down 5. He got them the lead under his point guard direction.

Duncan came in, we were up by 5 or so and the defense was gone.

ShoogarBear
04-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Well, as far as leaving Miller wide open, you can't blame Nazr for assuming that was the Spurs' basic plan, having watched the previous 11:59 of the quarter.

CHAMPS AGAIN
RUN PICK AND ROLL AT THE TOP WITH MANU AND DUNCAN, AND YOU GET A GUARANTEED BUCKET.

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT??????????????

TIM DUNCAN IS NOT READY. POP IS STILL A FUCKING IDIOT.

I'M FUCKING PISSED.

AGAIN.

YOU ARE A FUCKING IDIOT

MadDog73
For once, see Sequ's point. Spurs blow an easy game, and create doubt where we should be on a roll to the playoffs.

Our only hope now is that Utah beats the Kings, else we are stuck against the Nuggets with an obviously not 100% Tim.

Or course, Tony did not play tonight (?!?), so that will hopefully make our offense better. What did everyone think of Beno and Wilks? Did they earn themselves spots? Is Marks out?

timvp
LJ, Horry was 1-9. Sorry, he shouldn't have even been in the game. How can you justify sitting a guy who's 9-11 in favor of one who's 1-9 for the last shot?

He didn't draw up the play for Horry. Horry's guy just left him wide open.

I'm guessing you didn't watch the game.

Again.

P.S.

Explain why Baby Hakeem was in there on the final play. If you want something to bitch about, that's it.

PM5K
I couldn't agree more, the guy whose gone one for nine isn't the guy I want taking the last shot, I want the guy that's gone nine for eleven....

ceds
04-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Give it up

Horry has made his career from knocking down shots like that. 1-9 or not..there is no problem allowing one of the most clutch players in history to take the game winner.

TwoHandJam
04-18-2005, 09:37 PM
When Wilks came in the Spurs were down 5. He got them the lead under his point guard direction.

Duncan came in, we were up by 5 or so and the defense was gone.
Tim and Manu got us back in the game, not Wilks.

Wilks made a bunch a boneheaded plays in the fourth trying to force the ball into the post and pretended like our hottest shooter, Glenn Robinson didn't exist. Beno ran the offense much better and actually spreads the floor. If you want the win you play your best players. Period.

timvp
04-18-2005, 09:37 PM

Stupid move Pop.

Having Wilks in the game meant he didn't really want the win. If he wanted the win, Parker would have played. Or he would have had Udrih on the court.

The only reason Duncan and Manu went back out there is to give them a little run in a pressure situation.

Nothing more.

red kryptonite
04-18-2005, 09:38 PM
The reason the Spurs lost this game was actually Duncan. The Spurs needed to get him more playing time, but with 5 fouls, he gave up tons of easy baskets for the Grizzlies (insert momentum here). Otherwise, Spurs probably win easily.

Aggie Hoopsfan
LJ,

You said it yourself last year - Horry hasn't hit a big shot when it mattered for the Spurs since we got him.

I could forgive Pop if Big Dog was even on the floor, but he wasn't. And what a shocker - the Grizzlies are allowed to play defense and made the worst shooter on the court tonight take our last shot.

I forget, Nazr can't play D and obviously Malik would have blocked that last shot, or so it goes around here.

whottt
Running a play for Horry was the right thing to do...he's proven time and time again that he can hit game winners even if he hasn't made another shot for the entire game...

It's good to see the Spurs are finally acknowledging Horry as a viable option for game winning shots...

This game was ultimately meaningless, Horry was in non playoff mode, the whole game and resting up from playing a ton of minutes due to injury...if it was a playoff game Horry would have made that shot...

Horry is back, believe it.

There's no gurantee Duncan or Big Dogg hit it either...Horry is always an option for a game winning shot...not matter how badly he has shot for the rest of the game.

Hook Dem
04-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Well, as far as leaving Miller wide open, you can't blame Nazr for assuming that was the Spurs' basic plan, having watched the previous 11:59 of the quarter.
Good point!

TwoHandJam
04-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Having Wilks in the game meant he didn't really want the win. If he wanted the win, Parker would have played. Or he would have had Udrih on the court.

The only reason Duncan and Manu went back out there is to give them a little run in a pressure situation.

Nothing more.So he would risk playing Tim on the ankle after his longest stretch yet and have Manu sacrifice his body just for practice under pressure?

Sounds like you're reaching.

PopHater
Nevermind the stupid offensive play, what kind of defense was that?

Pop was saying watch for the lob and they let Miller shoot a wide open jumper?

Our defense after time outs under Popovich has always been terrible and this is just another example of it. You can only blame the players so long before you realize that the system, the coaching is faulty.

timvp
LJ,

You said it yourself last year - Horry hasn't hit a big shot when it mattered for the Spurs since we got him.

You must not have watched those back-to-back double overtime games. Horry hit many clutch shots in those two games.

His clutchness is back.

I could forgive Pop if Big Dog was even on the floor, but he wasn't. And what a shocker - the Grizzlies are allowed to play defense and made the worst shooter on the court tonight take our last shot.

You whine when the Spurs give the ball to Manu. You whine when the Spurs don't give the ball to Manu. Manu made the decision to go to Horry.

I forget, Nazr can't play D and obviously Malik would have blocked that last shot, or so it goes around here.

Ha ha. You are damn funny.

:sleep

T Park
04-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Horry hasn't hit a big shot when it mattered for the Spurs since we got him.

Ignore the clipper game the last week, and the warriors, game too.

timvp
04-18-2005, 09:43 PM
So he would risk playing Tim on the ankle after his longest stretch yet and have Manu sacrifice his body just for practice under pressure?

Sounds like you're reaching.

Connect the dots. Parker didn't play. Udrih was on the bench.

What do you think they were doing? Pop didn't care about the win after he gave Parker the day off.

T Park
04-18-2005, 09:43 PM
Spurs Loss = Pop's fault

SPurs win = Players stepped up.

Typical aggie formula.

T Park
04-18-2005, 09:44 PM
But But If He Didnt Care Why Was Duncan Playing!!!

SequSpur
04-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Another chance to try a last second shot and Manu Ginobili jacked off to early and let some time on the clock.

Wasn't it Manu who was guarding Fisher during the .4 and got assspanked?

I think so.

Spurminator
04-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Why doesn't Pop draw up plays for the ball to go into the basket? He keeps drawing up "miss" plays, but you don't get points for misses. I mean, we miss almost half of our shots every game. Pop needs to draw up more Made Baskets. Stupid.

Tek_XX
04-18-2005, 09:45 PM
i'm not a big pop believer or basher but this lose is definitly on him. When you have Duncan and Ginobili on the floor you go with them. The three is not the shot you take in that situation unless its wide open and it wasn't. Pop gambled and fell flat on his face.

whottt
04-18-2005, 09:46 PM
TimVP is dead on...if Pop really wanted to win this game Parker would have started.

boutons
04-18-2005, 09:46 PM
"Why Was Duncan Playing!!!"

Duncan wanted to play, needs to get back some rythym. I thought he very active tonight, and playing quite a few minutes. Not to win, just to get Tim some minutes and game legs back.

timvp
04-18-2005, 09:47 PM
i'm not a big pop believer or basher but this lose is definitly on him. When you have Duncan and Ginobili on the floor you go with them. The three is not the shot you take in that situation unless its wide open and it wasn't. Pop gambled and fell flat on his face.

For the tenth time in this thread, the play wasn't for Horry. Manu passed it to him when Horry's man doubled him.

Damn.

Tek_XX
Pop can't draw up made baskets...isn't that obvious

T Park
When you have Duncan and Ginobili on the floor you go with them. The three is not the shot you take in that situation unless its wide open and it wasn't. Pop gambled and fell flat on his face

So you know exactly what the primary option was on the play right???

You do know or dont know if that was a bailout shot, or it was a wrinkle in the play right??

Give me a break.

SequSpur
TimVP is dead on...if Pop really wanted to win this game Parker would have started.

Then why in the fuck did I waste my time watching it?? Fuck Popovich.

Tek_XX
04-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Not buying it Timvp, come up from sucking pop and see the light

timvp
Why doesn't Pop draw up plays for the ball to go into the basket? He keeps drawing up "miss" plays, but you don't get points for misses. I mean, we miss almost half of our shots every game. Pop needs to draw up more Made Baskets. Stupid.

:spin

Some people get it.

TwoHandJam
Connect the dots. Parker didn't play. Udrih was on the bench.

What do you think they were doing? Pop didn't care about the win after he gave Parker the day off.
Maybe he thought we didn't need to be at full strength to beat the Grizzlies on the road. Maybe he wanted to instill some more confidence in the bench. Who knows? He sure appeared to want the win at the end.

It just doesn't make sense not to win this game if you can knowing that there's still a chance you can have homecourt over all teams. If we lose to the Suns in the WCF then there's certainly a solid case to fire Pop. In case you haven't noticed we haven't exactly been a great road team this year.

timvp
04-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Not buying it Timvp, come up from sucking pop and see the light

You think he scripted that play for Horry?

QUESTION.

SequSpur
04-18-2005, 09:49 PM
For the tenth time in this thread, the play wasn't for Horry. Manu passed it to him when Horry's man doubled him.

Damn.

So what Manu was supposed to go one on 5? Again, Pop is fucking stupid.

Run the pick and roll and that frees up everyone not named Manu and Duncan.

A three? When all you needed was a layup?

HB22inSA
04-18-2005, 09:50 PM
The problem wasn't the play, but that the Spurs left them time to shoot.

Tony Parker did it twice @ GS and got away with it.

When the shot clock is off, you take the shot with about 2 seconds left to leave time for a possible tip-in, but you NEVER leave the opponent another chance.

The Spurs did, and they lost.

Done.

boutons
We weren't playing for HCA tonight. No way Suns were gonna oblige us by dropping 2 games.

Tek_XX
Ohh so now the play was busted, so y'all have abandoned the "It was a good play for Horry" bullshit

gimme a break

T Park
lol what fucking light dumbfuck???

You know exactly what play was drawn up????

Hilarious.

CHAMPS AGAIN
Another chance to try a last second shot and Manu Ginobili jacked off to early and let some time on the clock.

Wasn't it Manu who was guarding Fisher during the .4 and got assspanked?

I think so.

:stfu :stfu :stfu :stfu :idiot :idiot :idiot :idiot

timvp
Maybe he thought we didn't need to be at full strength to beat the Grizzlies on the road. Maybe he wanted to instill some more confidence in the bench. Who knows? He sure appeared to want the win at the end.

It just doesn't make sense not to win this game if you can knowing that there's still a chance you can have homecourt over all teams. If we lose to the Suns in the WCF then there's certainly a solid case to fire Pop.

Spurs fans falling off the deep end in a game where the Spurs rested their starting point guard.

Typical.

timvp
04-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Ohh so now the play was busted, so y'all have abandoned the "It was a good play for Horry" bullshit

gimme a break

What? :wtf

Do you think the play was for Horry?

Question2.

Tek_XX
The fact remains the Pop sucked balls in the last minute

T Park
then there's certainly a solid case to fire Pop.
Offline | Online

Of course.

And who would you replace him with??? Flip Saunders???

Fuckin idiots.

SequSpur
Tim Duncan should've sat too according to your theory.

T Park
04-18-2005, 09:52 PM
Tek Answer the fuckin question assclown.

Spurminator
I don't like leaving time on the clock, but if you're open with the game winner, you don't wait for your man to find you before you take the shot.

timvp
The fact remains the Pop sucked balls in the last minute

Answer the question.

T Park
Tim Duncan should've sat too according to your theory.

except for that he needs to get worked back in

God are you a fuckin idiot on purpose?

TwoHandJam
04-18-2005, 09:53 PM
Spurs fans falling off the deep end in a game where the Spurs rested their starting point guard.

Typical.
Tell me how you would feel if we lost a tough series to the Suns because we didn't have homecourt timvp. I'm all ears. It isn't out of the realm of possibility.

What does it cost Pop to play Udrich a few extra minutes tonight?

What's our road record this year?

Weak.

T Park
04-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Whats our road record WITH Tim Duncan???

Question.

Spurminator
04-18-2005, 09:55 PM
No team has ever lost a series because they didn't have homecourt.

timvp
Tell me how you would feel if we lost a tough series to the Suns because we didn't have homecourt timvp. I'm all ears. It isn't out of the realm of possibility.

What's our road record this year?

Check the Denver vs. Phoenix score.

TwoHandJam
No team has ever lost a series because they didn't have homecourt.
Yeah, whatever. :rolleyes

Nikos
04-18-2005, 09:56 PM
I really wish the Spurs had homecourt as well.

I mean think about it, the Suns aren't exactly an easy matchup with HC, even if the Spurs are playing their best ball.

I would not be confident if the series went to Game 7, the Spurs pretty much would have to win it in 6. Or hope Dallas beats them IMO.

T Park
If your a good enough team, you win games on the road.

Spurs can beat the Suns on the road for christ sake.

Tonight was good, people got played, players got work in.

No one got hurt, plan accomplished.

whottt
Then why in the fuck did I waste my time watching it?? Fuck Popovich.

I don't recall Pop asking you to watch it :fro

boutons
04-18-2005, 09:57 PM
"What's our road record this year?"

correction, if really want to wet your pants: what's our road record against WC playoff teams?

SequSpur
Any play that involves Manu at the end of a game is fucking wrong anyway, so yeah, Pop was throwing the game.

Hey, the spurs are fucking limping into the playoffs, I doubt they get out of the first fucking round.

I bet you playoff ticket holders are going to be happy while they hold that jack for the last 11 games collecting interest til next season. Told ya.

Tek_XX
What's with all the bullshit dumbass questions from T Park and Timvp, i didn't come on here to take your Pop quiz.

T Park
You guys wayyy overrate Phoenix.

You guys also overrate home court advantage.

How great was it in 95 in freakin Houston.

Home court didnt do shit in 03 either, all series were won on the road sans the NBA Finals.

boutons
04-18-2005, 09:58 PM
"Spurs can beat the Suns on the road for christ sake."

Manu ain't gonna get 48 pts next time.

TwoHandJam
Check the Denver vs. Phoenix score.
I forgot that Pop is clairvoyant. My bad.

What did it cost him to play Udrich and have a better shot at a win tonight. Did he really not have his mind made up about the backup pg spot until the final 2 minutes?

However small the chance you should play to win if you can get homecourt and it doesn't put your best players at risk.

Spurminator
Yeah, whatever.

Yeah.

It's true.

timvp
What's with all the bullshit dumbass questions from T Park and Timvp, i didn't come on here to take your Pop quiz.

Classic.

T Park
04-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Tek,

answer the question.

Do you think that was the primary shot, was a open three from Horry???

Answer the question, and save your childlike insults clown.

T Park
04-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Manu ain't gonna get 48 pts next time

Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry arent gonna practically be gone offensively either.

Stay off the ledge too Houston Rocket boy.

boutons
04-18-2005, 10:00 PM
"Home court didnt do shit in 03 either, all series were won on the road sans the NBA Finals."

But the Spurs were an excellent road team in 03, the best in the NBA, esp agains playoff teams after 1 Jan. Somewhat fitting that they should close out the first 3 series on the road, BECAUSE THEY FUCKING COULD.

If these Spurs split the first pair @SBC, they will be in deep shit.

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 10:01 PM
It's all a fucking moot point anyway!

Suns will beat Nuggets tonight. So we couldn't have gotten homecourt anyway.

And has anyone been keeping TABS on the Rockets?

Another 115 point win by them. At this rate, we'll be playing the Rockets in the WCF, not the Suns.

TheWriter
The Spurs will have HCA, the only time they won't is if they play Phoenix.

But Phoenix needs to make it to the WCF.

T Park
But the Spurs were an excellent road team in 03, the best in the NBA, esp agains playoff teams after 1 Jan. Somewhat fitting that they should close out the first 3 series on the road, BECAUSE THEY FUCKING COULD.

If these Spurs split the first pair @SBC, they will be in deep shit

What is the Spur's record, with a healthy team Duncan on the road??

Good night.

orhe
04-18-2005, 10:02 PM
that's ok that's alright let's go Utah fight fight fight

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 10:02 PM
The Spurs will have HCA, the only time they won't is if they play Phoenix.

But Phoenix needs to make it to the WCF.

Exactly. And they have to go through either the Mavs or Rockets to do it.

TwoHandJam
04-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Yeah.

It's true.
Ok, prove it.

boutons
"What is the Spur's record, with a healthy team Duncan on the road??"

Go look it up. It sucked, but nobody wanted to hear about when I brought it up a couple months ago. These Spurs just suck on the road against WC playoff teams.

MadDog73
that's ok that's alright let's go Utah fight fight fight

Won't do any good. Since Nuggets will lose too, Kings aren't going down to 7th seed. Kings own tiebreaker over Nuggets, and will still be one game ahead after tonight's slaughter is over.

T Park
04-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Go look it up. It sucked, but nobody wanted to hear about when I brought it up a couple months ago. These Spurs just suck on the road against WC playoff teams

No please, endulge us.

BTW, do you have your Houston ROcket's division champion t shirt??

Just curious.

TwoHandJam
04-18-2005, 10:06 PM

Good night.
Exactly why we should NOT try for HCA throughout the playoffs.

Logical.

Jdspur20

Good night.

exactly.

Spurminator
Ok, prove it.

Basic NBA rules. The team that scores the most points wins.

Ergo, teams only lose as a result of having less points at the end of a game than their opponent. Thus, no team has ever lost as a result of not having Home Court.

:)

T Park
04-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Who said we didn't try???

WTF, get off the goddamn ledge already.

What the hell, we freakin bust tony duncan everyone's ass for this one game,

we play it.

Suns still win.

WTF, was the point of wearing out Parker and the rest???

orhe
04-18-2005, 10:11 PM
LoL!
im so excited
PLAYOFFSS
woohoooooooooooo

denver is scareddddd

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Exactly why we should NOT try for HCA throughout the playoffs.

Logical.

Again, it's a fucking moot point. Why are you torturing yourselves? A win tonight WOULD NOT MATTER. It DOES NOT MATTER.

Once the playoffs start, it's a whole new game....

T Park
04-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Tonight would not have mattered, because, uh, Phoenix is blowing out Denver.

WTF is the point.

Yeah, wear out Ginobili, Duncan, and others, just to win a meaningless game in Memphis.

Good lord.

dn0
04-18-2005, 10:15 PM
I hope pop brings his "A" coaching in the playoffs, no more fucking need to rest anyone , play them till they die on the court.

PopHater
04-18-2005, 10:16 PM

Good night.

I can't tell you what it was throughout the whole season, but I can tell you that it was 0-2 the last two games. And before you go with the HEALTHY Duncan crack, He's as healthy now as he will be in the playoffs.

T Park
04-18-2005, 10:20 PM
I can't tell you what it was throughout the whole season, but I can tell you that it was 0-2 the last two games. And before you go with the HEALTHY Duncan crack, He's as healthy now as he will be in the playoffs.

Uhhh, ok.

Sure skippy whatever.

I hope pop brings his "A" coaching in the playoffs, no more fucking need to rest anyone

So resting players for the playoffs is bad??

You want them to be worn out and tired by the time they get to the playoffs like the SUns??

okiedoke.

TwoHandJam
04-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Again, it's a fucking moot point. Why are you torturing yourselves? A win tonight WOULD NOT MATTER. It DOES NOT MATTER.

Once the playoffs start, it's a whole new game....
The point wasn't moot when the game was being played and although Denver is down big time to the Suns, the game is still not over. On the flip side, if Phoenix is blowing out the red hot Denver, don't we want to at least try for HCA over them?

The real point is that Pop had nothing to lose by putting the hot Udrich in in the fourth and probably securing the win. I'm sure Pop had seen enough of Wilks to make a decision. Hell, Parker sure didn't really need tonight off anyway if he wanted the win.

It just doesn't make sense to me that Pop not try for the win in earnest given how poor we've played on the road all year. If nothing else it would help the team's morale to go into the playoffs with a couple of wins instead of a buzzer beater. Getting beat at the buzzer does wonders for a team right before the playoffs I'm sure.

Pop had nothing to lose for a better chance at a win tonight. He screwed up imo. I personally think Phoenix might not get past good defensive teams like Houston or even the newly defensive Dallas so we may not have to worry about HCA, but I can tell you that if we do meet them in the WCF, we won't look back at this game innocently.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-18-2005, 10:23 PM
This isn't about Horry taking the shot. It's about Glenn Robinson being on the bench.

If we know Horry can hit the shot, and we're just experimenting, why not see what Big Dog's got?

T Park
04-18-2005, 10:25 PM
So if he is out there, doesnt take a shot, but is just out there.

Thats ok.

PopHater
04-18-2005, 10:25 PM
Uhhh, ok.

Sure skippy whatever.

okiedoke.

What's wrong? Did I make too much sense? Typical, I answered your question in a manner that disproves your argument so rather than respond with something that might salvage your argument you try to blow me off.

No wonder you defend Pop. Like him you have no answer for when your opponent out thinks you.

T Park
04-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Just a question there genius.

Who would you rather have coach this team, other than Pop?

Just curious.

MadDog73
04-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Motherfucker is the winningest coach of the last 7 years of ANY sport.

Fucking morons don't know a good thing when they have it.

We'll miss Pop when he's gone, guaranteed.

T Park
04-18-2005, 10:28 PM
BTW,

Duncan played what, 28 minutes tonight??

23 agains Utah??

Dont you think there Red Aeurbach, that if he was totally healthy, that he wouldve played 30 some odd minutes in those games????

PopHater
04-18-2005, 10:31 PM

Just curious.

Somone who knows how to coach an NBA team. Sorry I don't keep up with all the out of work coaches. A few have gotten jobs with other teams while we've sat around and watched Pop. I do give Pop all the credit in the world for being a great GM, but he just is not a headcoach

T Park
04-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Somone who knows how to coach an NBA team. Sorry I don't keep up with all the out of work coaches. A few have gotten jobs with other teams while we've sat around and watched Pop. I do give Pop all the credit in the world for being a great GM, but he just is not a headcoach

Answer the question.

Who would you have coach the team.

Somone who knows how to coach an NBA team

BTW, how many rings does pop have to get, to prove hes at least a decent coach of an NBA team??

Just curious.

PopHater
04-18-2005, 10:33 PM
I never said Tim was healthy. I said he was as healthy now as he will be in the playoffs.

PopHater
04-18-2005, 10:36 PM
BTW, how many rings does pop have to get, to prove hes at least a decent coach of an NBA team??

Just curious.

He could a 100 I still would not give him credit for anything he's done the last 7 years.

I'll give you an answer to your question. Let PJ coach them, hell he pratically is already. I never said his coaching staff sucked.

T Park
04-18-2005, 10:39 PM
He could a 100 I still would not give him credit for anything he's done the last 7 years

But Bob Hill was a genius.

Al Sharpton
04-18-2005, 10:41 PM
only you would bitch about a meaningless game.

Brah , there are over 275 posters in this forum , That is 3 times as many that tune into WOAI's lame time react show.

And out of the 275 posters, at least 270 of them are pissed, and out of that ? there are at least 200 and 69 of them that are making "I am mad as hell topics" and you have the balls to say it's all meaningless?

Dude how tight is that Duncan jersey you sleep in? :lmao

PopHater
04-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Never said he was, but once again I see you can't come up with a valid point to an argument. Do you just type to hear the keys click?

bigbendbruisebrother
04-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Christ you guys are whiners tonight. Quit your godamn sniveling. The one seed is out of reach. Tim needed the PT for game shape, but other than that, this was a godamn tuneup game.

Robinson, Nazr and Udrih all continued to improve, and they're the guys who needed the focus tonight. The fourth quarter was all about getting Wilks some minutes with the starters so Pop can firm up the playoff roster.

Don't watch the Minny game either, because it ain't gonna be pretty.

True Believers BELIEVE all of the time.

T Park
04-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Valid point to what arguement???

Your the only one Ive ever seen, that doesn't think Pop is a good coach.

Hell, there are hundreds of analysts that think hes UNDERRATED.

So all those former players, and others that have said this are obviously insuperior to your intelligence as well.

CHAMPS AGAIN
04-18-2005, 10:59 PM
So what Manu was supposed to go one on 5? Again, Pop is fucking stupid.

Run the pick and roll and that frees up everyone not named Manu and Duncan.

A three? When all you needed was a layup?

:stfu :stfu :stfu :stfu :idiot :idiot :idiot :stfu :stfu

PopHater
04-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Your the only one Ive ever seen, that doesn't think Pop is a good coach.

You know damn well that is not true

Hell, there are hundreds of analysts that think hes UNDERRATED.

There are the same number that think he is OVERRATED

CaptainLate
04-18-2005, 11:29 PM

Just curious.

I would have liked to see Dave Cowens coach this team. Hated to see him get away. Doc Rivers would be another.

CaptainLate
04-18-2005, 11:32 PM
Brah , there are over 275 posters in this forum , That is 3 times as many that tune into WOAI's lame time react show.

And out of the 275 posters, at least 270 of them are pissed, and out of that ? there are at least 200 and 69 of them that are making "I am mad as hell topics" and you have the balls to say it's all meaningless?

Dude how tight is that Duncan jersey you sleep in? :lmao

LMAO on that "lame time react show" comment. Those boys sure like to hear themselves talk. I had to wait 15 minutes before they took my call. <eyes rolling>

TheWriter
04-18-2005, 11:33 PM
I would have liked to see Dave Cowens coach this team. Hated to see him get away. Doc Rivers would be another.

Dave Cowens.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

pooh
04-18-2005, 11:43 PM
:lol :lmao all that needs to be said.

spursfan05
04-18-2005, 11:45 PM
its time for a new coach

ZStomp
04-19-2005, 12:38 AM
How do we know that was the exact play that was chalked up?

mouse
04-19-2005, 12:42 AM
:lol :lmao all that needs to be said.

Who knew Pooh, would say something cool? :lmao

T Park
04-19-2005, 04:18 AM
I would have liked to see Dave Cowens coach this team

If he is so great, how come there haven't been any offers for him to return.

Doc Rivers is legit.

Though, his defensive schemes leave alot to be desired.

My guy is Eric Musselman.

tonillo
04-19-2005, 05:08 AM
very very good forum
i don't speak american sorry
but i think that a lot spurs fans think that (QI -POP) IS REALLY REALLY DOWN
last year spurs lost another ring (not fisher shot) but pop fault game-3-game4-
if phil jackson or geoge karl up 2-0....lose the series????
pop yes

polandprzem
04-19-2005, 05:59 AM
Who is available for the playoffs?
(coach)

Kori Ellis
04-19-2005, 07:34 AM
Pop didn't draw up the play for Horry. The ball went to Horry because he was wide open. You can bitch at Pop for not having GRob in, but not for drawing up a play for Horry -- he didn't.

Secondly, Nazr didn't switch on the pick-n-roll that's why Miller was open to hit the final shot. So AHF, if you are going to start a thread bitching about how the game ended. Give Nazr his due for not switching.

Frenchise player
04-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Nazr was bashed during at least one month. Every bad game he had, Whottt and Timvp were starting a thread about how the trade sucked and how Malik would have helped this team. Even you Kori was already giving up on the guy, thinking that Marks deserved more to be on the playoff roster.

Now that he is averaging even more that we were hoping of him we should start bashing him again??? He is playing like he was in New York, cleaning the boards and shooting only put backs. Moreover, he is showing us that he can be a hell of a shot blocker in this system.
All the Nazr hater should go under the radar for some games.

Kori Ellis
04-19-2005, 08:37 AM
I still don't think Nazr is as awesome as everyone else does. He gets in good rebounding position and with Tim out (and now coming back) and Rasho out, he dominates the offensive glass -- which is great. But I don't know how he's going to perform when they are both healthy, and he still doesn't get in good defensive position or really know what he's doing defensively. And for as many shot blocks as he gets, he gets his shot blocked nearly as many times. Last night he got blocked three times in the first half.

I'm not blaming Nazr for last night's loss. I don't care about last night's loss -- it was just an experimental game for Pop and a test for Beno and Wilks. It didn't mean much.

I only brought up Nazr because if you are going to go around throwing out stupid blame (i.e. thinking Pop drew up that shot for Horry) then throw out some stupid blame to Nazr for not switching -- something basic -- too.

101A
04-19-2005, 08:40 AM
"What is the Spur's record, with a healthy team Duncan on the road??"

Go look it up. It sucked, but nobody wanted to hear about when I brought it up a couple months ago. These Spurs just suck on the road against WC playoff teams.

Really?

Spurs have:

won AT:

Phoenix
Seattle
Dallas
Sacramento
Denver

AND have only lost the season series to a single team in the entire freaking league: MEMPHIS!

AND are going into the playoffs with the 2nd best record in the West despite the fact that TIM DUNCAN MISSED NEARLY 20% OF THE GAMES!!

AND now, because of where they have ended up, they get to avoid ALL 3 of the strongest opponents until the WC finals - the longest possible time to get the newbies more acclamated and injured back in shape.

AND, because of such a strong, consistent season, and not REALLY wanting that 1 spot, the Spurs have been able to get some valuable REST for some of their important pieces.

My biggest fear last night was that Miller would miss the last shot - and Spurs would have another overtime in a ABSOLUTELY, COMPLETELY, MEANINGLESS game (and it can't hurt to give the Grizz. at least a little confidence, right - Spurs aren't playing them round 1).

Get a clue, get a grip people.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Nazr was bashed during at least one month. Every bad game he had, Whottt and Timvp were starting a thread about how the trade sucked and how Malik would have helped this team. Even you Kori was already giving up on the guy, thinking that Marks deserved more to be on the playoff roster.

Now that he is averaging even more that we were hoping of him we should start bashing him again??? He is playing like he was in New York, cleaning the boards and shooting only put backs. Moreover, he is showing us that he can be a hell of a shot blocker in this system.
All the Nazr hater should go under the radar for some games.

Nazr is improving, but the mistakes he has been making particularly on defense have been obvious and painful. I don't see how you can take Kori's post as a bashing of Nazr. She's describing what actually happened on the court. The fact is that the most important aspect of this team is it's interior defense. Take that away, and all other aspects quickly erode.

Secondly, a whole lot of people who liked the trade were thinking that maybe Nazr shouldn't make the playoff list as late as last week because his defense was so bad. Marks may not be as talented or athletic, but you won't find him out of position or making bad fouls on defense. Since that time however, Nazr has come around in a huge way, starting on the California road trip. I doubt there are many people who would prefer that he not make the playoff roster.

The odd men out now are LJ3, Wilks and Brown (or Marks if Brown miraculously recovers).

TwoHandJam
04-19-2005, 08:47 AM
I'm not blaming Nazr for last night's loss. I don't care about last night's loss -- it was just an experimental game for Pop and a test for Beno and Wilks. It didn't mean much.

Kori, this still makes no sense to me. Why Pop treated this game as meaningless is beyond me. How stupid would Pop look today had Phoenix lost last night? If there's a chance you can take a game and still be in the running for HCA, you do it. Period.

Don't tell me Pop couldn't have pulled Wilks somewhere halfway through the 4th and put Beno back in and probably secured the win. This game didn't have to be a close affair.

Wilks completely ignored our hottest shooter (Robinson) on offense and forced entry passes in the post that created turnovers. Wilks just doesn't run the offense well and I'm pretty sure Pop had made up his mind about him before the game ended. Now we end up with a buzzer-beater 2 games before the playoffs to make everyone feel confident. It would have been nice to get 2 road victories before the playoffs considering how poor we've been on the road all year.

Pop's nonchalant attitude about the game makes no sense. None at all.

timvp
04-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Pop was waiving the white flag when Parker didn't play. You should have came in complaining then instead of waiting until after the game when they lost.

What if Pop is satisfied with the position in the playoffs. Playing the winner of Sac vs. Sea in the second round is pretty nice. Also, the Spurs know they can win on the Suns' homecourt.

Frenchise player
04-19-2005, 08:57 AM
I still don't think Nazr is as awesome as everyone else does. He gets in good rebounding position and with Tim out (and now coming back) and Rasho out, he dominates the offensive glass -- which is great. But I don't know how he's going to perform when they are both healthy, and he still doesn't get in good defensive position or really know what he's doing defensively. And for as many shot blocks as he gets, he gets his shot blocked nearly as many times. Last night he got blocked three times in the first half.

I only brought up Nazr because if you are going to go around throwing out stupid blame (i.e. thinking Pop drew up that shot for Horry) then throw out some stupid blame to Nazr for not switching -- something basic -- too.
The reason why AHF bash Pop isn't because of Horry's last second shot.
It can't be understand by simple logic.
It's like ICB's hate of Tony or Sequ's hate of Manu, you can't change these things. I believe they enjoy it too.
But picking up the Nazr exemple is bad too. Somehow, you are acting like AHF, sticking on a position and not admiting that the guy deserves huge props after stepping up his game and earning his place in the playoff roster.
I don't know if you realize that Nazr was our best rebounder in the last 5 games.

TwoHandJam
04-19-2005, 09:01 AM
Pop was waiving the white flag when Parker didn't play. You should have came in complaining then instead of waiting until after the game when they lost.

What if Pop is satisfied with the position in the playoffs. Playing the winner of Sac vs. Sea in the second round is pretty nice. Also, the Spurs know they can win on the Suns' homecourt.
I was complaining heavily in my living room at the very start of the game that Parker wasn't playing. Just think about it for a second timvp before defending Pop's actions.

1) Pop had no guarantees that Phoenix wins out. None. To not continue to play for a shot at homecourt is pure stupidity. Imagine the press today had Phoenix lost. How would you feel?

2) Even given Pop's idiocy in not playing Parker given that he's 22 and doesn't appear fatigued, how could he not put Beno in with 5 minutes left when it was obvious he was trying to get the win? Had he not seen enough of Wilks' mistakes? I highly doubt it.

3) You say you know the Spurs can win on the Suns' homecourt but why risk it if there's a chance you don't have to? There are no guarantees in sports. Honestly, how much would it have cost Pop and the team to try to win that game in earnest? Sac or Seattle is nice in the second round but so is Memphis over Denver in a very important first round. A round where Tim and Rasho probably won't be at 100%.

Let's say Barry sustains a minor injury during the playoffs. Do you still think we can win against the Suns without homecourt?

Face it. Pop was stupid last night.

Kori Ellis
04-19-2005, 09:07 AM
But picking up the Nazr exemple is bad too. Somehow, you are acting like AHF, sticking on a position and not admiting that the guy deserves huge props after stepping up his game and earning his place in the playoff roster.
I don't know if you realize that Nazr was our best rebounder in the last 5 games.

Are you reading what I'm posting? I said that if AHF wants to use his stupid example for the loss, he should pick another stupid example and say that Nazr didn't switch. I'm not blaming Nazr for the loss.

And yes, I know that Nazr has been the best rebounder as of late. I knew he could rebound when he got here -- I'm not complaining about his rebounding. And I've said many times that he's earned his way onto the playoff roster over Marks.

I am just saying that he's not the demi-God that people are making him out to be. And likely will not be as effective once the Spurs have other healthy bigs (read: Tim and Rasho) on the floor. The Spurs' interior defense is a big part of their success. Nazr's mistakes hurt their interior D. I've given him HUGE props in many threads for improving in that regard -- I know he never had to play D until he got to San Antonio.

BigVee
04-19-2005, 09:08 AM
I cannot believe that Manu and Tim were in the game at the end. If it was a tryout game for Wilks, I understand him being in there to see how he handled the final minutes, but Manu and Tim have been in pressure situations for years......seemed like Pop switched back and forth on whether he wanted to try and win the game or not. Plus, by the end Duncan was a liability on defense...5 fouls plus no lift. Totally screwed up and hard to understand game. If Manu plays in Minn, Pop should be shot.

Frenchise player
04-19-2005, 09:26 AM
I have read you and I am not saying that you are blaming Nazr for last night's loss, I was refering more about the first part of your post where you still say that he is a defensive liability.

We are too spoiled because Rasho is a great defensive center and Nazr isn't yet ready to be as good as him. But he achieved something that few have foreseen, he became a very good shotblocker what is a first step for him to fit in Pop system.

I don't think that he will be less effective when Rasho will came back. His stats will drop because he will play less, but Rasho and Tim will make things easier for him too. Playing with Tim will allow him to fully focus on rebounding and that's what he is doing so far.

SpurYank
04-19-2005, 09:27 AM
Miller never should have tied the game a few seconds before Horry missed his shot. When I saw Miller drive to the basket and Tim in his way, my first thought was "No Way." Tim was more than one foot shy of even touching Miller's near lay up. That's where the game wasn't won. The worst thing that could have happened was a foul and Tim would have been gone. Miller still had to make two free throws to just tie the game. That wasn't the only time Tim was flat-footed under the basket. Swift's follow up to his missed shot and a subsequent slam was right over a non-jumping TD.

Manu should have driven to the basket in his own frantic style for our last shot. It could have meant three points. But he needed to do it in the last 2 - 3 seconds, leaving no time on the clock, just in case there was a no-call. The worst would have been an offensive foul, and the ball taken out at the end of the court.

The game didn't mean anything. That Pop didn't let GR hit the last bucket may come under his respect for the Spur veterans on this team. Yes, that includes Horry. If he would have let GR take the last shot, Horry (even BB, MG, TD, others) would begin to believe Pop lacked confidence in them. Letting Horry take the last shot is only in keeping with prior history. remember his Laker feats?

Pop did the right thing to keep his team, a TEAM.

Glenn Robinson is coming on. Look out, rest of the west! This may turn out to be Pop's best decision of the 2005 season. Take it from Sean Elliott, this man hits nothing but net. Are you all watching his free throws? Sean is right!

TwoHandJam
04-19-2005, 09:32 AM
Robinson was awesome last night. I indeed think that he will be the steal of the year. He looks like he will do some serious damage in the playoffs.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Wow this thread really blew up. Just to clear some things up: my frustration with the play at the end was that Big Dog wasn't even on the court. If you can't get him open, so be it, but you don't take your best option away by not even running him out there.

And those who are making all the "Pop didn't care, etc." weak ass excuses need to just give it up. If Pop didn't GAF, why did he put Tim and Manu back in at the end? And don't give me all this "just to play in a pressure situation" nonsense. If Pop wanted to put the pressure on, he would have trotted out his best five at the end of the game, and Tim and Manu would have been surrounded by GRob, Barry, and Udrih on the last play (offensively).

On Nazr:

He fucked up at the end. There, I said it. I love Nazr's potential, he's a beast on the glass, and he doesn't take anybody's shit (we need someone like that). He's also blocking 3-4 shots a game over the last two weeks.

That said, he still does have some learning to do WRT the defensive strategies of the Spurs, particularly regarding rotations. He's a smart guy and a hard worker, and you can already tell he's getting better.

I think he'll be putting up the same kind of numbers he is now in the playoffs (6-10 points, 10-15 boards, a couple of blocks), but I also expect Rasho and Horry (depending on matchups) to be flanking Tim on defense at the end of games.

And as to Mad Dog:

Motherfucker is the winningest coach of the last 7 years of ANY sport.

That will look great on his bio. However, in your "7 years" span, there's other coaches who have won more championships.

You don't play major sports to have the highest winning percentage, you play to win the whole fucking thing.

cherylsteele
04-19-2005, 07:25 PM
I have read you and I am not saying that you are blaming Nazr for last night's loss, I was refering more about the first part of your post where you still say that he is a defensive liability.

Nazr has shown flashes of being a solid defender....but he doesn't always play good "D"...he loses focus or something.....he doesn't alway do well clogging the lane when an opponent is driving to the hoop.....when he is playing points in the paint seem to increase dramatically.....he seems to be out of position too often and relies to much on his athletic ability.

That said...he has shown flashes of great play.....he is a pretty good rebounder but even then does not always block out and allows an offensive board.....another reason why our opp FG% has been high the last few weeks....he is a decent FT shooter and is not afraid to "mix it up".

I think Pop is a good coach but sometimes makes mistakes...don't we all?.....every coach in the world has made mistakes....according to some posters here they are always perfectly right....last night was one of those mistakes though......I would hav liked to see GRob in the game and a play run for him....he is geting his range and that would have put his confidence through the roof.....I think picking him up is going to be huge in the playoffs.

How can people not like Manu?.......sure he makes some crazy ill-advised plays...but last night giving to Horry was the right thing to do.....there was no guarantee a foul would have been called.....have you forgotten about that shot Duncan mad that looked like he just flung it up and it happened to go in?....the officiating was poor all night....the clock bugaboo was icing on the cake.

Duncan played because he had missed 12 games not too long ago....did we forget?...he needs to play some to get his wind and timing back....I don't xare how young you are....Parker was tired and needed to rest.....the chances are we were not going to catch Phoenix so why over work the team on a longshot when the big picture is still very much reachable.

Has it ever occured to some of you that Pop is looking at all possible combinations in order to make a final playoff roster.....the wat certain players play with the others will make a big impact....I also think that he doing this because Devin will not be ready for the playoffs......he finding all possibilities to get it right for the playoffs.

cherylsteele
04-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Wow this thread really blew up. Just to clear some things up: my frustration with the play at the end was that Big Dog wasn't even on the court. If you can't get him open, so be it, but you don't take your best option away by not even running him out there.

You don't play major sports to have the highest winning percentage, you play to win the whole fucking thing.

I agree about Big Dog.......however....

Pop has both....the highest winning % AND 2 titles.

There are other with high percentages and lots reagular season wins and ZERO TITLES.

Nellie
Hubie Brown
Jeff Van Gundy
George Karl
ETC.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-19-2005, 07:40 PM
I cannot believe that Manu and Tim were in the game at the end. If it was a tryout game for Wilks, I understand him being in there to see how he handled the final minutes, but Manu and Tim have been in pressure situations for years......seemed like Pop switched back and forth on whether he wanted to try and win the game or not. Plus, by the end Duncan was a liability on defense...5 fouls plus no lift. Totally screwed up and hard to understand game. If Manu plays in Minn, Pop should be shot.

That's exactly what it was--a tryout for Wilks. Yes Manu and Tim have been there before. It wouldn't do Pop much good to evaluate Wilks with Marks and Barry. He needed to see his game with the starters.

The secondary reason for continuing to play Tim is that he's not in game shape, and the playoffs are five days away. He needs to get in shape, and he needed the minutes. Who the hell cares about him being a "liability on defense".

Pop had many other priorities while playing this game other than winning, and the same is likely to be true tomorrow night in Minny.

The seeding was set. Phoenix was not going to drop 2 straight to Sacto. Get real people.

SpurYank
04-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Gotta get my two cents worth in before we start talking about the playoffs:

Pop did want to win the game. You saw him insert both Manu and Tim in for the end of the game. It's not that the game WAS LOST, it's that the game wasn't Won, when we had the lead with under a minute to play. After all, defense is our forte, right? Right before Miller's tying basket, as he drove in for a layup after his defender was blocked, I saw him driving towards Tim and the basket. My immediate thought was "NO WAY!" Miller is no Kobe! Surprise, surprise, Tim wasn't within a foot of the lay up. And it wasn't the first time during this game that Tim was flatfooted under the basket. Swift slammed one in over his head after a miss, also because Tim wasn't jumping up for the rebound.

As for Horry, he was the right choice. Sure, many of you, and me as well, would have chosen Glenn Robinson, with the hot hand, but Horry is the proven one. Pop made the right choice. Perhaps Horry will spend extra time practicing his shot, The game meant nothing. Starting Sunday, they do.

MadDog73
04-20-2005, 09:16 AM
That will look great on his bio. However, in your "7 years" span, there's other coaches who have won more championships.

Wow, you really hate Pop, huh?

In the last 7 years, there's only one other coach who's won more titles than Pop: Phil Jackson. And that was just one more. :) With an injured Tim two years (1998, 2000) and a less than 100% Robinson most of the others.

Pop won the Spurs a Championship the SECOND year he was head coach for the full year.

Name another ACTIVE coach you would rather have for the Spurs.

Some people (you know who you are) accuse me of sucking Pop's dick. That's not it at all. I'm just sick of people who don't give him the credit he deserves. Spurs wouldn't be where they are right now without Pop.

Best active NBA coach. Period.