PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Parker expects to be out a week

duncan228
11-07-2009, 02:07 AM
Spurs' Parker expects to be out a week (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Parker_expects_to_be_out_a_week.html)
Jeff McDonald

PORTLAND, Ore. – Spurs point guard Tony Parker says the sprained ankle that knocked him from Friday night’s 96-84 loss against the Trail Blazers isn’t as severe as others he’s suffered in his career.

Parker missed nine games early last season after spraining the same ankle, and missed a month with the French national team during the summer with a similar injury to his right ankle.

“This one is not even close,” Parker said late Friday night. “It will be a week, maybe.”

Parker was injured on a drive late in the second quarter against Portland and did not return.

“I went to do an ‘in-and-out’ move,” Parker said. “I went one way and my ankle went the other.”

X-rays taken at the Rose Garden were negative, and Parker left the arena after the game under his own power. He is expected to be re-evaluated Saturday after the Spurs return to San Antonio.

Second-year guard George Hill, who will assume starting duties for however long Parker is out, said he knew his All-Star counterpart was in pain when he limped to the locker room.

“I know how Tony is,” Hill said. “He’s a fighter. He always wants to be in. When he limps off, you know he’s really hurt.”

AFBlue
11-07-2009, 02:08 AM
SON OF A!

Well, I guess now it's time to see if Hill really has improved and can mesh with the regulars!

DPG21920
11-07-2009, 02:09 AM
Out against Toronto, Dallas and OKC if this time table is correct.

Tp9gospursgo
11-07-2009, 02:09 AM
great. loss against dallas for sure

loveforthegame
11-07-2009, 02:10 AM
A week isn't too bad.

Hopefully Hill steps up because I threw up a little when I saw Mason playing point tonight.

Danny.Zhu
11-07-2009, 02:11 AM
great. loss against dallas for sure

Yep.

Ditty
11-07-2009, 02:12 AM
damn well we can' see him rape dallas on wedensday

NewJerSpur
11-07-2009, 02:13 AM
A week isn't too bad.

Hopefully Hill steps up because I threw up a little when I saw Mason playing point tonight.

You liked that pick and roll to Dice I'm gathering. :toast

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-07-2009, 02:14 AM
hope gerogie steps up big time just like last year when TP got hurt

Tp9gospursgo
11-07-2009, 02:16 AM
I say try and start mason and maybe get his confidence going...try manu more at the point and let him create. He can drive and kick too like parker just not as quick.

NewJerSpur
11-07-2009, 02:19 AM
I say try and start mason and maybe get his confidence going...try manu more at the point and let him create. He can drive and kick too like parker just not as quick.

Hill is going to start, as he is the designated PG. The PG role tends to shift though outside of TP. When Manu is on the floor, he runs the offense. Hill and Mase go back-and-forth, as both are better at looking for their own shots than distributing and can both make spotty decisions at times when they pick up their dribble early. Will be interesting to see where the offense will come from out of the starting unit with Tony out. Hope he gets back soon.

Tp9gospursgo
11-07-2009, 02:22 AM
My question is is bogans gonna start again??? I mean he played okay but i still would rather see mason out there. and get bonner out of uniform

lurker23
11-07-2009, 02:22 AM
30+ mpg for George Hill; it's sink or swim time for him.

Last year he swam quite nicely. With an extra year's experience under his belt, as well as the work he put in over the summer, I'm expecting big things from him.

My prediction in the next 3 games: 34 mpg, 14 ppg, 4.5 apg, 2 to/g.

Sean Cagney
11-07-2009, 02:23 AM
Well he is out a week, even then can't do much worse than we have been doing as of now so forget it, he is out and we will hopefully get BETTER without him in there.

mVp
11-07-2009, 02:24 AM
So that would be more like two weeks for Pop.

Blackjack
11-07-2009, 02:24 AM
Maybe it's a blessing in disguise..

You give Tony a break to let his body rest a little after a busy summer; George sees more court time that can only be good for his long-term growth and a team looking to find some defense; and Manu gets to play the point and handle the ball more to try and build some rhythm and regain his form.

It could get pretty rough but these guy's not only have to build some cohesion as a team, they've also got to find each of their individual games on the way to building that cohesion.

Parker being out puts the onus on others to step their game up and gives them the responsibility of actually making plays for themselves and their teammates; not the worst thing in the world for players trying to find their game and rhythm.

Get well soon, TP.

Tp9gospursgo
11-07-2009, 02:25 AM
So that would be more like two weeks for Pop.
:lol:lol:lol

murpjf88
11-07-2009, 03:57 AM
Well, who the hell is gonna back up hill. its always something with the spurs. Were paper thin at pg, which was one of my concerns before the season started. Looks like they will have to activate hairston

redzero
11-07-2009, 04:02 AM
The Spurs should be okay, because they play one game every ten days.

Spurs Brazil
11-07-2009, 07:11 AM
The terrible news is we'll see Mason as a PG for a week :depressed

kace
11-07-2009, 07:13 AM
i really expect to see the team without him. He was the only one not so far from his usual level so it will be interesting.

Hope we won't fall in a little hole with 2 or 3 more losses in a row though.

SpurNation
11-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Great test for Hill. This is where all the diligence and off season training will be put to the test.

Let's hope he proves to be the b/u PG the team can rely on in situations like this.

yourtehclay
11-07-2009, 07:23 AM
I hope Hairston gets activated during this stretch. If Mason and Hill begin splitting minutes at the point, Mason's minutes on the wings will be available.

ceperez
11-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Great news!!!

Now we may be able to see either Hairston, Haislip or Mahinmi in the court!

Xevious
11-07-2009, 08:36 AM
I hope Hairston gets activated during this stretch. If Mason and Hill begin splitting minutes at the point, Mason's minutes on the wings will be available.
This is the most likely scenario. Mason will probably back up Hill at point and Hairston will get Mason's usual minutes. This will be his chance to prove his worth, he's got 2-3 games to do it.

The question is who will return to IR if he does crack the rotation. I just can't see Pop benching Finley or Mason for good. So that leaves Bogans.

TDMVPDPOY
11-07-2009, 09:16 AM
good time to unleash george hill for the starting job and show what he can do in the regular season running plays like he did in the summer league...

SA210
11-07-2009, 11:35 AM
The terrible news is we'll see Mason as a PG for a week :depressed

:pctoss

symple19
11-07-2009, 11:38 AM
just great.

Maybe Pop will start Hill instead of Mase

ElNono
11-07-2009, 01:04 PM
The good news is that we don't have an option now, and we're going to have to win with defense. So I fully expect Pop to be more assertive coaching the D.

Whisky Dog
11-07-2009, 01:06 PM
2-8

SA210
11-07-2009, 01:22 PM
The good news is that we don't have an option now, and we're going to have to win with defense. So I fully expect Pop to be more assertive coaching the D.

:lol yea right.

Blackjack
11-07-2009, 01:34 PM

That's the hope..

Hopefully this gets Pop to simplify things and get back to his bread and butter. There's just been too many mixed messages between his words and actions and with the amount of turnover they've undertaken, simplicity is definitely needed.

Pop needs to build his self a defensive base with the best personnel he has, and build from there offensively as the player's familiarity dictates.

This team needs a focal point on which to build the necessary cohesion. And if that focus is defense, they'll at least be able to stay in games short-term and put themselves in position to win big long-term.

I'm not sold they've got all the necessary personnel at this point (they've still got to see what Hairston has to offer) but Hill and Bogans playing more is definitely a more Spurs-like approach; especially if Bonner's going to continue to start.

ElNono
11-07-2009, 01:42 PM
:lol yea right.

I'm serious. We're not going to make up TP's points and assists offensively, so if we want to win it's going to have to be with defense.

HarlemHeat37
11-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Last year, the only time we looked like an elite defensive team was during the 7-game stretch without Parker and Ginobili..we were one of the best defensive teams in the NBA for those weeks, and we were winning close games against teams that had a lot more talent than we had at the time..

84.7 PPG allowed, 42.8 FG % allowed in that span..

So ElNono is definitely on point here..hopefully we see the same thing..

benefactor
11-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Last year, the only time we looked like an elite defensive team was during the 7-game stretch without Parker and Ginobili..we were one of the best defensive teams in the NBA for those weeks, and we were winning close games against teams that had a lot more talent than we had at the time..

Indeed. The Parker lovers may not want to accept it, but we are better defensively without him. He has never been a good individual defender.

I agree with others that have said that the silver lining in this is not only a better defensive back court, but Hairston will probably be activated too. He's going to get a few games to prove his worth. If he does play well, the bigger issue will become who do you put on the inactive list after Parker returns? We all know who would need to be there, but there ain't a chance in hell of that happening.

SenorSpur
11-07-2009, 03:03 PM

Amen

TJastal
11-07-2009, 03:26 PM

This is a very interesting statistic. The spurs did all that defensive work with George Hill running the show.

Love Tony Parker and what he brings as a creator offensively, but the spurs should at least consider the option of George Hill as their potential starting point guard for the future.

With his contract ending in another year and soon-to-be free ageny, do the spurs even really know what Tony Parker's future is going to be? I wouldn't say its a lock that Tony Parker will be looking to stay in San Antonio. And he is probably going to be seeking a very hefty contract in order to support his hollywood lifestyle and wife.

Then you got the fact that past, present, and undoubtedly future the guy is going to be missing action because of rolling his ankles. Maybe they need to start taping his ankles.

Meanwhile, George Hill showed again last night he has the potential to be a great combo guard, with the ability to run both positions and play superior defense against point guards and small 2's. I think he is is very similar to Rondo in terms of defense and offensively he is more gifted. Rondo is a better rebounder and playmaker, however but overall I think Hill could have a similar impact on games as Rondo (but he would need to be a starter and play starting minutes 35+ a game).

Parker2112
11-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Indeed. The Parker lovers may not want to accept it, but we are better defensively without him. He has never been a good individual defender.

Parker has said himself that he is a better team defender than individual defender. The problem is, with our interior defense lagging, Parker has no backup, exposing his lapses.

I agree with others that have said that the silver lining in this is not only a better defensive back court, but Hairston will probably be activated too. He's going to get a few games to prove his worth.

I hope to God your right.

If he does play well, the bigger issue will become who do you put on the inactive list after Parker returns? We all know who would need to be there, but there ain't a chance in hell of that happening.

I could see Bonner going inactive. He did it last year. Plus Pop doesn't have to worry about his attitude...he's probably down for whatever as long as he can make the payments on his Grand Prix.

ulosturedge
11-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Hill needs more minutes to mature as a basketball player. For a 2nd year player who switched positions he is doing pretty damn well as far as i'm concerned. Btw Manu can hold down the PG duties aswell. Don't think we are completely stuck with Mason as backup PG. And yes i'm hoping to see Malik activated and getting some pt.

Scola
11-07-2009, 08:44 PM
omfg! a week?!? Seriously?
I guess it could be worse...At least Hill gets to play some valuable minutes now... I just hope we don't drop too many games :[

Höfner
11-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Parker faked it