PDA

View Full Version : The Richard Jefferson Bandwagon

yourtehclay
11-07-2009, 06:53 AM
There hasn't been a whole lot to be excited about in the last 2 games, and hopefully that will turn around.

Jefferson has been receiving more than his share of criticism but I honestly like what I'm seeing from him right now. The flaws in his game are correctable. He's not used to playing high intensity defense on a regular basis, and in the fourth quarter tonight he showed some potential. He also seems unsure of his shot.

Jefferson is doing exactly what I hoped he would. He's taking it fearlessly to the rim and drawing fouls. Many outside fans were saying that he'd transformed into a jumpshooter, but this simply isn't true. He's looked like a nice bailout option when the Spurs look timid on offense.

Jefferson's won me over despite his problems:flag::flag::flag:

raspsa
11-07-2009, 07:01 AM
I think he's just feeling his way and is getting more comfortable with each game. its not easy coming to a team with 3 established stars and a demanding coach while at the same time reying to revive his defensive game.. IMO as his defense becomes more solid and consistent, we'll see his offense surge as well..

SpurNation
11-07-2009, 07:12 AM
I'm a fan. His offense is already good. His defense will get better as the games go by. Solid pick up for the Spurs.

TDMVPDPOY
11-07-2009, 09:15 AM
cut and attacking the rim is what his known for, thats what we need out of him...

dont liek to see him hesitate to the pull the trigger when open at the 3pt line and driving it in....prefer to have him shoot then bonner or any other low % shooter on the court

da_suns_fan
11-07-2009, 09:50 AM
He'll probably be more comfortable and score much more easily with Parker out the next week. The trouble for him is staying relevant with scorers like Duncan, Ginobili and Parker on the floor.

Fabbs
11-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Looks soft on O and D.

Dont care about the dunk in garbage time either.

EmptyMan
11-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Jefferson is battling through it. I have liked his contribution so far. Dude is showing heart out there.

The problems with the Spurs are not their guards or small forwards.

rayray2k8
11-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Good to see some fans changing their tune about the team and actually saw some positives during last nights
game. I'm thinking, this is where the spurs might go from here and build on it.
Shots weren't going down, but they showed some character.

spursfan09
11-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I am happy with him. I think he is doing great. It's going to take a while for him to get acclimated to the team. As for Ginobili, he's completly off, but I expect him to come around as he plays more basketball. I'm just worried about Parker.

AFBlue
11-07-2009, 12:47 PM
I was pretty disappointed with his effort and lack of defensive intensity early on, but he showed me something after his first-quarter benching. I'd like to see more of that before I'm officially on the bandwagon...

ElNono
11-07-2009, 01:07 PM
The good thing is that he has shown he has pride. That alone is going to make him improve a lot defensively. We know he has offense. This is a case of a guy that we just need to give him time. He'll come around.

draft87
11-07-2009, 03:17 PM
I was pretty disappointed with his effort and lack of defensive intensity early on, but he showed me something after his first-quarter benching. I'd like to see more of that before I'm officially on the bandwagon...

actually watching him in between plays he seems very enthusiastic and into the game. a few times i've seem get a little bit too disappointed in the defense. that's a good sign that his mind and heart are in the game. couple that with improved on the ball defensive skills and playing the rotations and you have a recipe for success.

spursfan09
11-07-2009, 03:56 PM
I haven't seen Parker get too enthusiastic at all. I get this feeling "ho hum, another day another game" No passion. Ginobili is always very passionate, he's just off, and the passion is working against him. Tim Duncan looks like he is trying everything he can do, but too tired. RJ plays with a passion as if he's never one a championship before. Which I know he hasn't, but my point is he's hungry.

itzsoweezee
11-07-2009, 04:14 PM
im definitely a fan now

Mr.Robinson
11-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Jefferson needs to attack at all times. We have enough jump shooters.

DAF86
11-07-2009, 04:25 PM
I wonder if Pop has asked RJ how he feels more comfortable on offense? He seems to be more productive when he attacks his man one on one than when a teammate comes to set a screen.

Höfner
11-07-2009, 04:36 PM
They still haven't gotten his nuts out of Oden's larynx

Nbadan
11-07-2009, 04:49 PM
he got beat a few times last night....D isn't were it needs to be, plus POP is short on patience with swing-men types

Interrohater
11-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Looks soft on O and D.

Dont care about the dunk in garbage time either.

How was that garbage time when the Spurs were down 6 and had a legitimate chance to win? They got as close as three, that's not garbage time. :rolleyes

Fabbs
11-07-2009, 06:55 PM
How was that garbage time when the Spurs were down 6 and had a legitimate chance to win? They got as close as three, that's not garbage time. :rolleyes
And when the Spurs where as close as three Jefferson in succession:
missed a FT
missed a layup
fouled Greg Oden.

The dunk came with us down 8 and yes, cut it to 6 and gave us a sorta chance.
I'd rather see him make the FT, make the layup and don't foul Oden.

He needs to drive it to the rack regularly. Just because Popped wants us to be a pussy three point chucking team doesnt mean RJ has to be one of his lemmings.

UnWantedTheory
11-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Im on it.

Chieflion
11-07-2009, 09:32 PM
I am happy that Jefferson was playing well and it is no coincidence he picked it up after Parker went down. When Parker is doing his "thing", which means hogging the ball, not sure what he wants to do, freezes out everybody until he got trapped. He was not willing to pass and Jefferson, and the rest became spot up jump shooters with 3 seconds left on the shot clock. We will see how Jefferson plays with Parker down the stretch in games after he returns.

ThaiFanofSpurs
11-07-2009, 10:21 PM
I am happy that Jefferson was playing well and it is no coincidence he picked it up after Parker went down. When Parker is doing his "thing", which means hogging the ball, not sure what he wants to do, freezes out everybody until he got trapped. He was not willing to pass and Jefferson, and the rest became spot up jump shooters with 3 seconds left on the shot clock. We will see how Jefferson plays with Parker down the stretch in games after he returns.

I like TP a lot. But somehow I think what you said was very true. Hopefully, they will adjust into the team system soon.

Interrohater
11-07-2009, 11:44 PM

That really is an interesting thought. However, how much of that is ballhogging more than Tony just hasn't had a slasher near him other than Manu, and so maybe he's also getting adjusted to these new guys? Also, RJ was shooting too much on the arc instead of driving. Isn't that on him that he decides to shoot instead of driving?

Chieflion
11-07-2009, 11:49 PM
That really is an interesting thought. However, how much of that is ballhogging more than Tony just hasn't had a slasher near him other than Manu, and so maybe he's also getting adjusted to these new guys? Also, RJ was shooting too much on the arc instead of driving. Isn't that on him that he decides to shoot instead of driving?
3 seconds to go on the shot clock, Richard Jefferson gets the ball from Parker who runs into the trap, he has an "open" but rushed look at the basket. If you were him, will you take the shot, or drive closer to the rim to throw up a contested shot against the swarming defense, or turn it over, get blocked, or concede to the shot clock. If I were him, I would take the open shot. The shots were not falling cause Jefferson is not a spot up shooter. When he did get the ball with enough time to attack the rim, he drew many fouls.

mogrovejo
11-07-2009, 11:52 PM
He's not used to playing high intensity defense on a regular basis

You're nuts. Last season he played for Scott Skiles and the Bucks were a better defensive squad than the Spurs after 35 games in the season, until Bogut - who, btw, is becoming a defensive monster, maybe a top-3 defensive big in the NBA right now - went down.

Before that, he played for some Nets teams that were always among the best defensive teams in the league - heck, that one that lost to the Spurs in the finals was the best defensive team that season.

Jefferson used to be a quite good defender and rebounder until about 4 years ago, when his quickness and overall athleticism started declining and he became an overrated chucker.

symple19
11-08-2009, 04:15 AM
It think RJ needs time before any conclusions can be drawn up. I understand the feral urge to jump to conclusions and discuss these things, but the jury is obviously still out. Let's see how he fits once he gets more comfortable

angelbelow
11-08-2009, 04:15 AM
I like what he brings too. He aggressively attacks the rim and is drawing fouls.. he got criticized for not hitting his FT but IMO that will come around and its always nice to put some pressure on the opponent by getting them into the penalty.

symple19
11-08-2009, 04:22 AM
I like what he brings too. He aggressively attacks the rim and is drawing fouls.. he got criticized for not hitting his FT but IMO that will come around and its always nice to put some pressure on the opponent by getting them into the penalty.

He definitely needs to get to the rim more than he has thus far. I think we'll see more of a vibe with TP once he gets back as well. RJ can get up, and I don't see any reason why there can't be more highlight type dunks, whether via an alley-oop or traditionally. As for his jump shot, well, that'll come I think as the season progresses a bit. Same for Manu

Morg1411
11-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Jefferson is a badass. I'm thrilled to have him on the team. He may not be perfect, but he brings a great athleticism and energy to the team.

I agree on earlier assessments on Parker and Manu. Parker needs to get his shit together and show up for more than 1/4 of his playing time. Manu needs to probably slow down, just a pinch, and focus on what he's trying to do...love the energy, but his execution has been awful.

Spurs Brazil
11-09-2009, 11:05 PM
RJ against the Raptors, 24pts (9-16FG) 8rebs 7asts

Nice game

rayray2k8
11-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Little by little, Jefferson is starting to come around. :)

DPG21920
11-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Very solid showing. He needs to keep making decisive decisions with the ball and he will be fine.

raspsa
11-10-2009, 01:12 AM
I think his nature as a nice guy has been holding him back...still feeling his way, not forcing anything but you can see his comfort level increasing with each game. He's going to be everything the Spurs wanted when they signed him.

mystargtr34
11-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Give it another week, he will have a bad game and the same douchebags will be calling for his head.

RJ for Maggette
RJ for Jax
Cut RJ and bring back Bowen

:lol

Spurs Brazil
11-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Can anyone make the gifts of the last night dunks?

Spurs Brazil
11-11-2009, 11:05 PM
29pts 7rebs 4asts 3stls 1blk in 40 minutes + a MONSTER dunk

MaNuMaNiAc
11-11-2009, 11:14 PM
RJ is definitely turning out to be the best trade the Spurs have done in quite a while.

Manufan909
11-12-2009, 02:03 AM
29pts 7rebs 4asts 3stls 1blk in 40 minutes + a MONSTER dunk

Wish I saw that dunk in real time, but seeing in on the NBA top ten will have to do. Anyone else think RJ will be the Spur most seen in top ten videos this season?

duncan228
11-12-2009, 02:15 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/01/fullj.34cb992f102c942bf46b9c31014def88/34cb992f102c942bf46b9c31014def88-getty-90040820ce001_mavs_spurs.jpg

rayray2k8
11-12-2009, 02:17 AM
< Best Jefferson avatar on the forum.
Props to whoever it was that made it for me lol
(sorry I couldn't remember who it was that did)

Manufan909
11-12-2009, 02:17 AM
Duncan228, on the ball as always. I was going to tell you earlier, but I might as well tell you now, I know you have a program that shows you all news articles, as well as all questions asked on ST, I just need to figure out some proof. JK!!! :worthy:

Manufan909
11-12-2009, 02:18 AM
< Best Jefferson avatar on the forum.
Props to whoever it was that made it for me lol
(sorry I couldn't remember who it was that did)

If you can call dibs on that, I call dibs on best Hill avatar. Stupid RJ overshadowing him.:p:

duncan228
11-12-2009, 02:19 AM
http://media.mysanantonio.com/images/1109+SPURS+MAVS+KMH+8.jpg

http://media.mysanantonio.com/images/1109+SPURS+MAVS+KMH+7.jpg

Chieflion
11-12-2009, 05:49 AM
Claerly, Jefferson has done well without Parker and Duncan in the lineup. He looks way more comfortable having the ball on his hand as the number 1 and 2 option as opposed to playing off the ball when either Parker and Duncan has the ball and playing the Parker/Duncan 2 man game, forgetting that Jefferson is on the court. That was my observation. I hope Richard Jefferson shows more of his off-ball movement and offensive ability when both Parker and Duncan return from injury and adapt to this team.

ceperez
11-12-2009, 07:07 AM
Clearly, Jefferson has done well without Parker and Duncan in the lineup. He looks way more comfortable having the ball on his hand as the number 1 and 2 option as opposed to playing off the ball when either Parker and Duncan has the ball and playing the Parker/Duncan 2 man game, forgetting that Jefferson is on the court. That was my observation. I hope Richard Jefferson shows more of his off-ball movement and offensive ability when both Parker and Duncan return from injury and adapt to this team.

Agree, appears to need the ball in his hands. I like when he doesn't settle for jump shots and drives it to the hoop. I mean he's built like a running back and if charges the hoop like Manu does then he's going to inflict a lot of damage.

Just like Football uses the running game to soften up the defense, the Spurs should do the same. RJ however has yet to learn how to setup his own teamates. He also needs to finish better with contact, its like his game doesn't expect contact which is something that needs to be corrected!

Manu, Parker and even Hill know that there's going to be contact and know how to bounce their bodies off opponents to make a shot. RJ hasn't discovered that art yet (but maybe its because he's so big that people bounce off him!).

sa_butta
11-12-2009, 07:15 AM
It's odd to see a Spurs player aggressive around the rim and finish with a dunk, luckily he is not a mediocre player otherwise he would be cut for such action.