PDA

View Full Version : The PopApologists Excuse Thread

Fabbs
11-07-2009, 08:33 AM
He's just tinkering with the lineup. 4 years after he and Fins retire to their cabin in the woods, he won't start Fins anymore. On the court at least.
Bonners red hair will provide the fire starter for the cabin.

It takes time to learn *the system*. Don't ask what that offensive system is. Nor defense, anymore.

*CIA Pop* is just waiting to unleash some secrets in the playoffs. You saw him unleash them on Dallas last year. Lakers the year before.

He's won 4 titles, you know. Rolling out the balls to HOFs was a lot of work.

Many more, no doubt.

TDMVPDPOY
11-07-2009, 09:10 AM
When you have a deep fkn team and pop loving to go 8-9 player rotations, it really wrecks what we already have a working chemistry, now just need to get those new players involve in the scheme of things....

doesnt help also when duncan is playing like a tortoise,

team with no defensive presence atm

maybe we should trade for jax so this team can hard the fuck up or go pack there bags for early summer

Marcus Bryant
11-07-2009, 09:28 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/545/slideshow_54586/display_image.jpg

exstatic
11-07-2009, 10:25 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/545/slideshow_54586/display_image.jpg

That is proof that Pop is infinitely smarter than anyone here. Yes, even you LJ.

Chomag
11-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Over a million Posts!?! Dear God!

SpurNation
11-07-2009, 10:37 AM
He's just one mess'n with your head, head messer mo fo ain't he.

SA210
11-07-2009, 11:25 AM
He's just tinkering with the lineup. 4 years after he and Fins retire to their cabin in the woods, he won't start Fins anymore. On the court at least.

It takes time to learn *the system*. Don't ask what that offensive system is. Nor defense, anymore.

*CIA Pop* is just waiting to unleash some secrets in the playoffs. You saw him unleash them on Dallas last year. Lakers the year before.

Many more, no doubt.

:tu

draft87
11-07-2009, 03:25 PM
:tu

Many more, no doubt.

Fart

completely deck
11-07-2009, 03:32 PM
http://www.skynet.ie/~cheese/GsocStuff/ThisThreadIsBad.jpg

SenorSpur
11-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Pop is one of the best coaches in the NBA. A certain HOF coach. Of course, he's 1000 times more knowledgeable than us armchair coaches. When you've been as successful as he has, you tend to trust in your decisions and strategies completely. You also tend to be a bit stubborn. Because one is so close to a situation, they may be too close to see what others can from far away.

That said, despite Pops credentials, that doesn't make some of his decisions above reproach or criticism. To me, one of his flaws is that, he tends to exclusively overvalue veteran experience, even ignoring the fact that a player is clearly in decline to a point that his on-court presence becomes counter-productive. Even when there is a younger, vaiable option on the bench, Pop, like most coaches, resists and doesn't trust younger players. That's what is going on with Finley, and has for at least the past 3 seasons.

Aside from Finley, we've seen him overvalue other players like Van Exel, Horry and KT. Players who were stellar in their prime, but players who probably stayed a year too long or players the Spurs may have acquired a year or so too late.

With the roster they rolled out last year, it was obvious the Spurs were overmatched against practically every above-average team they faced. While drastic roster improvements were made over the offseason, Pop still seems reluctant to tinker with lineups that he's grown comfortable with. You cannot match quickness, strength and talent with age and experience. It doesn't hurt to shake things up. So far this season, this much we already know:

Finley as a starter or heavy-minute rotation contributor = FAILED
Bonner expeirment - FAILED
Jefferson as a lockdown defender - FAILED (he can be adequate, but not lockdown)

Pop should start experimenting more with the following:

Bogans and Hairston are clearly the best perimeter defenders on the team. They should play more.

Dice is a better defender, rebounder, and post player than Bonner. He should play more.

Ratliff is a shot-blocker, par excellance. He needs to play more.

Ian, for all his flaws, is an energetic, big that can block shots and could provide some interior presence for short bursts. He's going to make his share of mistakes, but he needs some spot minutes in certain situations, against certain teams. I'd rather live with him guarding a player like Aldridge, than watching Bonner or Finley helplessly get run over.

If Pop truly wants his team to be tougher and one that defends better, he's got to get better, tougher, defenders on the court and on the roster.

Sometimes a situation is desparate enough that a coach must throw out convention and take some chances. Though the season is young, the Spurs and Pop are already at that point this season.

dbestpro
11-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Starting Bonner is a double loss. We all know that the Spurs will have to start Dice and Duncan to have any success in the playoffs. They need to be on the court together to learn how to play together. This will mean some losses as they adjust. Trying to soften the blow by starting Bonner and slowly adding dice only works if we win. So when we lose we lose the game and we lose the opportunity of getting these guys to work together.

My starting line up would be be the big 5 and leave it that way to the end of the year. Tinker with the bench rotations but let your best 5 learn how to play together on the court. It is the only way to playoff success.

Allanon
11-07-2009, 04:22 PM
CIA Pop just tinkering with lineups he's supposed to tinker with.

Mr.Robinson
11-07-2009, 04:26 PM
That is proof that Pop is infinitely smarter than anyone here. Yes, even you LJ.

Duncan won those not Pops. GTFOH!

SA210
11-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Pop is one of the best coaches in the NBA. A certain HOF coach. Of course, he's 1000 times more knowledgeable than us armchair coaches. When you've been as successful as he has, you tend to trust in your decisions and strategies completely. You also tend to be a bit stubborn. Because one is so close to a situation, they may be too close to see what others can from far away.

That said, despite Pops credentials, that doesn't make some of his decisions above reproach or criticism. To me, one of his flaws is that, he tends to exclusively overvalue veteran experience, even ignoring the fact that a player is clearly in decline to a point that his on-court presence becomes counter-productive. Even when there is a younger, vaiable option on the bench, Pop, like most coaches, resists and doesn't trust younger players. That's what is going on with Finley, and has for at least the past 3 seasons.

Aside from Finley, we've seen him overvalue other players like Van Exel, Horry and KT. Players who were stellar in their prime, but players who probably stayed a year too long or players the Spurs may have acquired a year or so too late.

With the roster they rolled out last year, it was obvious the Spurs were overmatched against practically every above-average team they faced. While drastic roster improvements were made over the offseason, Pop still seems reluctant to tinker with lineups that he's grown comfortable with. You cannot match quickness, strength and talent with age and experience. It doesn't hurt to shake things up. So far this season, this much we already know:

Finley as a starter or heavy-minute rotation contributor = FAILED
Bonner expeirment - FAILED
Jefferson as a lockdown defender - FAILED (he can be adequate, but not lockdown)

Pop should start experimenting more with the following:

Bogans and Hairston are clearly the best perimeter defenders on the team. They should play more.

Dice is a better defender, rebounder, and post player than Bonner. He should play more.

Ratliff is a shot-blocker, par excellance. He needs to play more.

Ian, for all his flaws, is an energetic, big that can block shots and could provide some interior presence for short bursts. He's going to make his share of mistakes, but he needs some spot minutes in certain situations, against certain teams. I'd rather live with him guarding a player like Aldridge, than watching Bonner or Finley helplessly get run over.

If Pop truly wants his team to be tougher and one that defends better, he's got to get better, tougher, defenders on the court and on the roster.

Sometimes a situation is desparate enough that a coach must throw out convention and take some chances. Though the season is young, the Spurs and Pop are already at that point this season.

Excellent post, someone get this to Pop.

Starting Bonner is a double loss. We all know that the Spurs will have to start Dice and Duncan to have any success in the playoffs. They need to be on the court together to learn how to play together. This will mean some losses as they adjust. Trying to soften the blow by starting Bonner and slowly adding dice only works if we win. So when we lose we lose the game and we lose the opportunity of getting these guys to work together.

My starting line up would be be the big 5 and leave it that way to the end of the year. Tinker with the bench rotations but let your best 5 learn how to play together on the court. It is the only way to playoff success.

:toast

symple19
11-07-2009, 04:28 PM

this this this this this this this

nice one marcus

Höfner
11-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Pop's drunkenness on the sidelines has gone on for far too long.

Sisk
11-07-2009, 04:32 PM

so when we win titles, it's to duncan's credit

when we lose, it's pop's fault?

hmmmm

Höfner
11-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Blaming Duncan, Tony or Manu for anything will get you e-lynched.

Fabbs
11-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Here's a Popexcuse that has some creativity at least:

I think I may have groked Pop's madness
So, I'm thinking, why did we sign Bogans?

He's not really that athletic, quick or long to make a great impact on the SG position. His defense is average at best. His offense is one dimensional (open 3 point shot).

The reason we signed Bogans was because of his mindset. Never quit, play hard nose defense at all times.

Early in the season, that's what Pop wants to instill on all the players.

The 2nd half of the Blazers game was in the right direction. We just weren't able to score, but that seems to be correctable.

Haislip and Mahinmi unfortunately are finesse players. Despite having the length and athleticism they aren't going to bring in the right attitude into the game. Hairston may, but he's a rookie so he can't lead by example.

So until Pop sees everyone on board with this kind of intensity, he isn't about to let these rookies influence the mix.

That's why it was good he got on Jefferson's case. The guy had been playing too soft. He's been playing too soft since his days in the Nets and Bucks. It'll be good if he's Pop's favorite whipping boy. The guy has the kind of personality that can take this abuse in a positive way.

So what's with the small ball? Well, every player on the court has to work harder and coordinate better because you've got mismatches everywhere. Playing small ball forces the Spurs on the court to just work so much harder. I don't think it's a formula to win games.

We all expect the Spurs to lose a lot of games in the regular season. That's going to happen while the players get back in to shape ( Ginobli didn't have any lift when he took his shots) and while the players get an attitude adjustment (Jefferson strong to the basket is a good sign).

There you have it. Lots of insanity, but I think there's logic in all this madness.
by ceperez

Fabbs
11-07-2009, 05:02 PM
so when we win titles, it's to duncan's credit
when we lose, it's pop's fault?
hmmmm
Pretty much. When we win we overcame his offensive dimwittedness.
He did roll out the practice balls too.

itzsoweezee
11-07-2009, 07:06 PM
remember last year how the apologists made the same excuses about popovich last year? i do. the thing about the apologists/homers, they're irrational and can't see the obvious.

there's no excuse for popovich to continue to start boner. none. big deal he can hit a three once in a blue moon. the team is stacked with three point shooters. i'm not going to go into a anti-boner rant, it's just too easy. the point is, that it's obvious to everyone but popovich that his experiment has been proven to have gone horribly. time to do what he's paid to do and coach.

spursncowboys
11-07-2009, 07:30 PM

How many would the Spurs win with Bob Hill?

SenorSpur
11-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Anybody remember 2 springs ago in the playoffs versus the Fakers, when Pau and the rest of the Fakers frontline just deliberately kept going at Bonner. All the while, exposing him for the defensive sieve that he really is. Pop, undaunted, continued to give him heavy minutes.

Chomag
11-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Anybody remember 2 springs ago in the playoffs versus the Fakers, when Pau and the rest of the Fakers frontline just deliberately kept going at Bonner. All the while, exposing him for the defensive sieve that he really is. Pop, undaunted, continued to give him heavy minutes.

I also seem to remember him getting pushed around alot in the Mavs series in last season's playoffs

I still have that dunk dampier did on him stuck in my mind. :lol

TDMVPDPOY
11-07-2009, 08:00 PM
you guys still living in the past 4 ring banners

when you also forgot last 3 seasons popabitch still hasnt done shit about small ball while being the victim on small ball bball costing us games in the playoffs....

SA210
11-07-2009, 08:58 PM
you guys still living in the past 4 ring banners

when you also forgot last 3 seasons popabitch still hasnt done shit about small ball while being the victim on small ball bball costing us games in the playoffs....

ernest787
11-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Who should Pop start next Duncan... Mcdyess? From what I have witnessed so far he looks completely lost on the floor right now, hasn't provided any help defensively or offensively, YET! I believe as the season goes on he will continue to acclimate to the system and guys around him and be a HUGE contributor, but right now he just isn't comfortable.

Blair is going to be a beast in this league, but as a rookie he just can't do it yet, and is not big enough. So that leaves us Theo or Ian to go next to Tim. Theo is OLD. He was a great pick up for short minutes and spots here and there, but he is not the answer and we all know Ian is really not the answer to anything.

Bonner is the sensible choice right now. Like it or not he KNOWS the system. He doesn't play good man defense, but in the team scheme he is usually where he needs to be and DOES stretch the floor.

Until Mcdyess comes around or we somehow find another big, Bonner is the right choice for that spot

The problem right now is that RJ is playing timid, and so are a lot of other guys on this team. It almost seems that because the team is so deep and everyone wants to be the good team guy, they do not want to take over when they need to. It will be worked out, but you have to give it time

OR

you can keep overreacting and forgetting what this coach has done in the past

itzsoweezee
11-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Who should Pop start next Duncan... Mcdyess? From what I have witnessed so far he looks completely lost on the floor right now, hasn't provided any help defensively or offensively, YET! I believe as the season goes on he will continue to acclimate to the system and guys around him and be a HUGE contributor, but right now he just isn't comfortable.

Blair is going to be a beast in this league, but as a rookie he just can't do it yet, and is not big enough. So that leaves us Theo or Ian to go next to Tim. Theo is OLD. He was a great pick up for short minutes and spots here and there, but he is not the answer and we all know Ian is really not the answer to anything.

Bonner is the sensible choice right now. Like it or not he KNOWS the system. He doesn't play good man defense, but in the team scheme he is usually where he needs to be and DOES stretch the floor.

Until Mcdyess comes around or we somehow find another big, Bonner is the right choice for that spot

you just said boner was the sensible choice. anything else you'll ever say is officially worthless.

EricB
11-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Wheres that list of 20 coaches at Fabbs?

Still waiting.

SA210
11-07-2009, 10:10 PM
you just said boner was the sensible choice. anything else you'll ever say is officially worthless.

sabar
11-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Who cares, the FO isn't firing him.

Fabbs
11-14-2009, 11:18 PM
How many catagories did Pop hit in the 101-98 OKCity loss?

BillMc
11-14-2009, 11:25 PM

I fully admit he is smarter than me. And I trust in him in the big picture.

It's early we shouldn't get too up (for example the victories over New Orleans and Dallas) or down (this loss, our lousy road trip.)

Capt Bringdown
11-14-2009, 11:48 PM
I think the biggest excuse has been that it "takes time to learn the system." You'd often hear that it takes a year for players to fit into our system.

If that's the case, then our championship era is officially over. With 2 of our big 3 on the way to winding down their careers, we no longer have the luxury of being so damned complicated.

The system needs to change, but I don't see how it can. Spurs ball is elite defensive basketball, and we don't have the pieces to compete this way anymore.

Malik Hairston
11-14-2009, 11:50 PM
put me in coach, I can help

Fabbs
11-20-2009, 10:20 AM
I think the biggest excuse has been that it "takes time to learn the system." You'd often hear that it takes a year for players to fit into our system.

If that's the case, then our championship era is officially over. With 2 of our big 3 on the way to winding down their careers, we no longer have the luxury of being so damned complicated.

The system needs to change, but I don't see how it can. Spurs ball is elite defensive basketball, and we don't have the pieces to compete this way anymore.
Mike Finley vs Jazz.
0-6 0-3 with zero defense played per ususal. 23 minutes. But we had to turn down a chance to sign Bruce Bowen for minimum after he was bought out by the Bucks.

Blair in the *doghouse* with 6 minutes and 9 minutes on the B2Bs. :rollin:depressed

Fabbs
12-03-2009, 11:09 PM
4 days rest, home game.
Blair benched in the 1st half after only 4 minutes of great play.

Lets hear the Boston game excuses.

mexicanjunior
12-03-2009, 11:18 PM
4 days rest, home game.
Blair benched in the 1st half after only 4 minutes of great play.

Lets hear the Boston game excuses.

"It's only (insert month here)..."

Fabbs
12-06-2009, 11:51 AM

mexicanjunior "It's only (insert month here)..."
At home again vs Denver, 6 pt lead at haltime, when coaching ad-just-ments come into play. Spurs worked again in 3rd and 4th.

rfbulletdude
12-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Didn't Pop say during an interview that if he can't win with this team he should be fired?

21_Blessings
12-06-2009, 01:02 PM
No coach in the league can save San Antonio - it's a player's league. Pops isn't the problem. In the event Pop retired anybody you could replace him with would be a downgrade.

kbrury
12-06-2009, 01:09 PM
No coach in the league can save San Antonio - it's a player's league. Pops isn't the problem. In the event Pop retired anybody you could replace him with would be a downgrade.

This

TJastal
12-06-2009, 01:31 PM
At home again vs Denver, 6 pt lead at haltime, when coaching ad-just-ments come into play. Spurs worked again in 3rd and 4th.

This.

Spurs had a sizeable lead going into intermission, and then Anthony got hot. Nobody could stop his J's raining down (Bogans/Jefferson) and honestly I don't think any defender in the league could have stopped him last night.

The sensible adjustment would have been to bring in Roger Mason for Bogans and try to get some scoring to at least keep up some pace with Anthony.

Instead, Pop continues to go with Bogans and of course the spurs offense bogged down eventually trying to keep up. Pop is simply not good at making adjustments.

EricB
12-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Still waiting on that list of 20 troll.

oligarchy
12-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Still waiting on that list of 20 troll.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2po39t3.gif

poop
12-06-2009, 05:22 PM
funny how a completely rebuilt Boston team 2 years ago didnt need a ton of 'learning the system' time.

they were raping people from the get go.

exstatic
12-06-2009, 05:40 PM
funny how a completely rebuilt Boston team 2 years ago didnt need a ton of 'learning the system' time.

Funny how different teams run different systems with different degrees of complexity.

Almost everyone on Boston was new so their playbook was probably small.

BillMc
12-06-2009, 05:45 PM

A valid point, but two of their new players were future HOF'ers. Dice, Bogans and RJ will be nowhere near the hall, and the fourth important new face, Blair, is just a rookie trying to learn the NBA game, not just the Spurs game. Pop's got a tougher task than Doc Rivers had.

poop
12-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Funny how different teams run different systems with different degrees of complexity.

Almost everyone on Boston was new so their playbook was probably small.

this is irrelevant, they were a 20something win team, added a bunch of new faces who had never played together before, and IMMEDIATELY starting kicking ass and never let up.
this years spurs were a perennial 50+win team, KEPT their hall of famers and added a bunch of quality new faces, and are playing .500 so far.
im just saying, 'learning the system' is an increasingly lame excuse, especially considering they had basically the whole offseason/preseason to work shit out.

The Truth #6
12-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Pop knew he needed to adjust the playbook to accomodate the new players and did make initial adjustments. Though we still need to rework the system, we're kind of in a pinch because half the team knows the plays really well, and the system does work once you get it down. If we dumb everything down or change it completely, then everyone is stuck re-learning.

We all wish RJ was playing better now, but what's Manu and Tony's excuse? The problem isn't just the new guys lost (though that's evident), it's also that 2 of our big 3 are playing beneath the level they need to play for us to be dominant.

I'm not sure there's a play for that.

dbestpro
12-06-2009, 06:09 PM
I think a big part of the problem is we are always playing small. Three of our bigger players get no time and it was evident that we needed more size as Antony just shot over the top. Free Haislip. Free Ian. Free Theo.

Fabbs
12-23-2009, 11:20 PM
I think a big part of the problem is we are always playing small. Three of our bigger players get no time and it was evident that we needed more size as Antony just shot over the top. Free Haislip. Free Ian. Free Theo.
Vs Portland tonight. :lmao

Lets hear it Popapologists.
That he needs Mike Finley back at the power forward? :rollin

urunobili
12-24-2009, 06:50 AM
where the fuck is the fire Pop thread?

hsxvvd
12-24-2009, 08:04 AM
I think there is certainly a need for a PJ type to stir the nest, I'm also not too confident in the x&o support of the remaining assistants, he's being outcoached nightly it seems.

I don't believe Pop should be fired, but he needs some fresh ideas, and some decent support, we've lost a lot of talent in that department in recent years without replacements.

EmptyMan
12-24-2009, 10:04 AM
The Spurs battle back to within 2-3 pts and Pop puts out 4 smalls and dejuan fucking blair

seriouisly Pop???????????????????

seriously???????????????????????????????????????

Fire Pop. Serious post is serious.

Fabbs
12-24-2009, 10:13 AM
The Spurs battle back to within 2-3 pts and Pop puts out 4 smalls and dejuan fucking blair

seriouisly Pop???????????????????

seriously???????????????????????????????????????

Fire Pop. Serious post is serious.
Amen.
Also, when we pulled to 96-94 what did you think of Dick Jeffersons 3 pt chuck? Not that he wasn't hot last night, he finally was. Still, it shows when we need a hoop we resort to the overdone 3 pt chucking wussy ball installed by Pop for Mrs. PapaFinley in 2006. Tim was owning in the 4th.

DaBears
12-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Lets quit making excuses for these over paid under acheivers... Come on this team at best will be a 6-8 seed come playoff time and will lose in the 1st round. Too me watiching them play is like watching a horse that just broke his leg and cannot race any more, you know he's going to be put down you just are not aure when its going to hapen.... That whats sucks about this team, they have not given us any reason to think other wise.

dbestpro
12-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Pop is done. He had his run, but now he looks like he has Woody Hayes syndrome. Either the players don't listen to him anymore or he just doesn' offer anything of value.

Any coach will tell you that you play to your strengths. We have size but continue to play small old slow players in crticial moments. Time for Pop to ride off into the sunset before he destroys his legacy like Woody.

Fabbs
01-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Oh this should be good.

The Toronto game.

cherylsteele
01-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Here's a Popexcuse that has some creativity at least:

I think I may have groked Pop's madness
So, I'm thinking, why did we sign Bogans?

He's not really that athletic, quick or long to make a great impact on the SG position. His defense is average at best. His offense is one dimensional (open 3 point shot).

The reason we signed Bogans was because of his mindset. Never quit, play hard nose defense at all times.

Early in the season, that's what Pop wants to instill on all the players.

The 2nd half of the Blazers game was in the right direction. We just weren't able to score, but that seems to be correctable.

Haislip and Mahinmi unfortunately are finesse players. Despite having the length and athleticism they aren't going to bring in the right attitude into the game. Hairston may, but he's a rookie so he can't lead by example.

So until Pop sees everyone on board with this kind of intensity, he isn't about to let these rookies influence the mix.

That's why it was good he got on Jefferson's case. The guy had been playing too soft. He's been playing too soft since his days in the Nets and Bucks. It'll be good if he's Pop's favorite whipping boy. The guy has the kind of personality that can take this abuse in a positive way.

So what's with the small ball? Well, every player on the court has to work harder and coordinate better because you've got mismatches everywhere. Playing small ball forces the Spurs on the court to just work so much harder. I don't think it's a formula to win games.

We all expect the Spurs to lose a lot of games in the regular season. That's going to happen while the players get back in to shape ( Ginobli didn't have any lift when he took his shots) and while the players get an attitude adjustment (Jefferson strong to the basket is a good sign).

There you have it. Lots of insanity, but I think there's logic in all this madness.
by ceperez
You can save all that typing by summing up all your Spurs' posting in 3 words.
I hate Pop.

Fabbs
01-03-2010, 11:18 PM
You can save all that typing by summing up all your Spurs' posting in 3 words.
I hate Pop.
Yours can be summarized with:

"I never offer a legit defense for Popped."

Stalk on.....

pjjrfan
01-03-2010, 11:25 PM
I love Pop, but who does this crap with a team that's still trying to find it's identity and establish some consistency? Our next game is Wednesday, he has to change things around, and already KSAT is spinning this weekend as a brutal back to back. Covering Pop's ass. I just heard Charles Gonzales say that.

cherylsteele
01-04-2010, 02:18 AM
Yours can be summarized with:

"I never offer a legit defense for Popped."

Stalk on.....
Sure, Pop has made mistakes, but he has been the best coach the Spurs have ever had and continues to be a good coach, yet it is peoplw like you who believe the he can do no right....ever.

From day one he has emphasized defense, which has been the bread an butter of the team for the better of more than a decade. He has taken the pieces he is given and has presented a contender nearly every year, he has induced the philosophy of players being responsible for their perfomances.

He has made mistakes like tonight not starting Tim, I would have started him, if he was concerned about his minutes, take him out quicker. I look at his body of work and see the whole picture.

TJastal
01-04-2010, 04:34 AM
Sure, Pop has made mistakes, but he has been the best coach the Spurs have ever had and continues to be a good coach, yet it is peoplw like you who believe the he can do no right....ever.

From day one he has emphasized defense, which has been the bread an butter of the team for the better of more than a decade. He has taken the pieces he is given and has presented a contender nearly every year, he has induced the philosophy of players being responsible for their perfomances.

He has made mistakes like tonight not starting Tim, I would have started him, if he was concerned about his minutes, take him out quicker. I look at his body of work and see the whole picture.

How much are you getting paid to write this?

dbestpro
01-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Sports is and has always been about what have you done for me lately. This year, Pop has been more of the problem than the solution. If he continues this way he needs to move on. Just like players the game can move past the coaches. Pop is becoming the new Pat Riley.

cherylsteele
01-04-2010, 09:18 AM
I must have hit a nerve huh?
So you're one of those people who think Pop can do no right....ever.

I love Pop, but who does this crap with a team that's still trying to find it's identity and establish some consistency? Our next game is Wednesday, he has to change things around, and already KSAT is spinning this weekend as a brutal back to back. Covering Pop's ass. I just heard Charles Gonzales say that.
Messing with lineup was a mistake, the chemisrty has been gelling, hopefully this will not be anything but a quick glitch in that.

Calavera
01-04-2010, 09:22 AM
It`s ok to make mistakes now, better mess with the rotation now than in the playoffs. Popovich is smart guy and he knows that the time before all star break is exactly for such things - trying different rotations, matchups and tactics, see what certain players can or can`t do. The problem is - are we going to be contenders when the real games come? Last year we weren`t ready and from the games I saw this season we still have a lot of things to improve. But don`t spit on Pop for trying different stuff, everything he does is with the idea for the playoffs. Keep the big picture in mind, don`t bother with those little mistakes.

Fabbs
01-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Let's hear you PopApologists excuses for sitting Ian all this time.
Which of the 4 do you want to use, or all of them?

Summarized beautifully here by most appropriately named poster,objective
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3983377&posted=1#post3983377

draft87
01-11-2010, 02:06 AM
Let's hear you PopApologists excuses for sitting Ian all this time.
Which of the 4 do you want to use, or all of them?

Summarized beautifully here by most appropriately named poster,objective
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3983377&posted=1#post3983377

fart.

EricB
01-12-2010, 10:55 PM
bump

Fabbs
01-12-2010, 11:13 PM
beating the Lakers without their best player.
Ahead by 20 mid third qtr but Timmy Dunks still doing 40 minutes. With a couple b2bs coming up.

Sweet!

EricB
01-12-2010, 11:14 PM

Timmy Dunks doing 40 minutes.
Sweet!

Typical.

Troll.

exstatic
01-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Ahead by 20 mid third qtr but Timmy Dunks still doing 40 minutes. With a couple b2bs coming up.

Sweet!

You'd have bitched at him if he played Tim 32 and we lost.

Fabbs
01-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Asking to possibly play some bench people and thus limit Timmy Dunks minutes when with 6 minutes left in the freakin 3rd qtr the Spurs being up 21 is too unreasonable a request for PopApologists. :lmao

Well maybe he won't do 40/40 in the b2bs.

EricB
01-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Asking to possibly play some bench people and thus limit Timmy Dunks minutes when with 6 minutes left in the freakin 3rd qtr the Spurs being up 21 is too unreasonable a request for PopApologists. :lmao

Keep stretching.

Keep stretching.

Your blow up doll Pat Riley is notorious for wearing players out all season long with practices and high minutes in games, so spin that fucktard.

exstatic
01-12-2010, 11:25 PM

BTW, Pop played three bench players over 23 minutes. Phil played one.

Fabbs
01-12-2010, 11:34 PM
No, but you would have made that up anyways. :lmao

BTW, Pop played three bench players over 23 minutes. Phil played one.

By all means, celebrate a Pop win over Phil irregardless of how it came. Seriously.

exstatic
01-12-2010, 11:36 PM
No, but you would have made that up anyways. :lmao

Past performance (by you) says I'm right on this.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Don't celebrate.

Solemnly acknowledge.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Don't celebrate.

Solemnly acknowledge.

Fabbs
01-16-2010, 03:06 AM
^^^ It was just as stupid as the 1st time you said it.

TJastal
01-16-2010, 03:20 AM
^^^ It was just as stupid as the 1st time you said it.

48,000+ posts of stupid... that's a lot of stupid...

Fabbs
01-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Don't celebrate.

Solemnly acknowledge.
Let's hear it PopApologists.
Denver 103 with Carmelo Anthony out.
Spurs 89 at the at&t center.

24 minutes Mrs. PopFinley-Bonner
11 minutes Blair :bang (4-4 and three boards to boot :rolleyes )

1 minute for Ian. Freakin Finley comes back and immediately gets more burn then Ian.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2010, 06:44 PM
I already said fire Pop.

Now what?

Fabbs
01-31-2010, 07:43 PM
I already said fire Pop.

Now what?
Pardon me, I thought you were being sarcastic. Welcome aboard.
But it's not "Fire Pop", it's "Trade Pop" to some organization that is as sheepy and mislead as the PopApologists and overvalue him to the nth degree. Like maybe Toronto??? I don't know if they are, but a Popped for Bosh deal (yeah yeah work out the numbers with Jefferson or what/whomever) could be just the cure we need to get Duncan a 5th.

poop
01-31-2010, 08:34 PM
if phil jackson, pat riley, rick adleman, and probably several others had this lineup we would be holding 2nd in the west right now, as expected.

no doubt whatsoever.

Agloco
01-31-2010, 09:09 PM
if phil jackson, pat riley, rick adleman, and probably several others had this lineup we would be holding 2nd in the west right now, as expected.

no doubt whatsoever.

:lol

Fail. Badly.

rayray2k8
01-31-2010, 09:57 PM
Even I'm starting to lose faith in Pop.. Finely his first game back and he gets 6 (felt longer) mins?? WTF?? And Blair on the bench????? Fuck! :pctoss

poop
01-31-2010, 10:31 PM
:lol

Fail. Badly.

how so? explain it to me.
would any of these coaches benched Hill 2nd half of last season and playoffs? would they have aquired gooden then sat him most of the series? would they aquire Ratliff then bench him the entire season while our defense/paint defense gets raped game after game? would any of them refused to play or developed mahinmi? would any of them stubbornly play/START matt bonner year after year? would they have played jaque vaughn/bonner/finley ect...game after game in place of athletic young energy players?

would Pop have taken last years rockets lineup to the game 7 vs. LA?

if Pop were coaching the Lakers, bynum would have been perma-benched last 3 years, still, same as Mahinmi, and shannon brown would be perma-assigned to d-league (like hairston), and sasha and luke walton would still be playing 30 minutes a game.

murpjf88
01-31-2010, 10:41 PM
would any of these coaches benched Hill 2nd half of last season and playoffs? would they have aquired gooden then sat him most of the series? would they aquire Ratliff then bench him the entire season while our defense/paint defense gets raped game after game? would any of them refused to play or developed mahinmi? would any of them stubbornly play/START matt bonner year after year? would they have played jaque vaughn/bonner/finley ect...game after game in place of athletic young energy players?

if Pop were coaching the Lakers, bynum would have been perma-benched last 3 years, still, same as Mahinmi, and shannon brown would be perma-assigned to d-league (like hairston), and sasha and luke walton would still be playing 30 minutes a game.

Wow, your comparing Bynum to Mahinmi and Hairston to Browne. You've got to be kidding. I think your overestimating the talent level of Ian and Malik by a country mile.

poop
01-31-2010, 10:52 PM
Wow, your comparing Bynum to Mahinmi and Hairston to Browne. You've got to be kidding. I think your overestimating the talent level of Ian and Malik by a country mile.

point is, bynum started as extremely raw and brown started as trade fodder/extremely athletic but unproven young player...and both were recognized as having lots of potential to contribute to their team's needs, and were worked in, raw or not as soon as possible, and both are now SOLID contributors to their team and fill needs.

Mahinmi and hairston started with basically the same exact potential, same exact kind of players, could fill the same exact needs, contribute when they get the odd minute or two, and yet are Never Developed, but continue to be benched and reassigned despite our team's needs for exactly the kind of thing they could and will bring.

TJastal
01-31-2010, 10:57 PM

How do you know? Mahinmi has been injured for much of his career and when he's finally healthy he doesn't play at all. If he would have been getting development time like Bynum has been the past 5 years who knows. Bynum didn't exactly start out great out of the gate either.

And I don't think Shannon Brown is anything to write home about. He's Courtney Lee lite who dunks the ball. BFD. I'd rather have Hairston.

Agloco
01-31-2010, 11:07 PM

I suppose thats my point in a nutshell. You don't know if these things would have come to pass any better than I do. You can dump on Popovich all you want, it doesn't change the fact that his players are executing like shit. Nor will all of the hating in the world will bring back Manu's quickness, heal Tonys ankles, or get rid of Jeffersons bad habits overnight.

Sorry, it's a big shit sandwich and we've all gotta take a bite.

murpjf88
01-31-2010, 11:24 PM
How do you know? Mahinmi has been injured for much of his career and when he's finally healthy he doesn't play at all. If he would have been getting development time like Bynum has been the past 5 years who knows. Bynum didn't exactly start out great out of the gate either.

And I don't think Shannon Brown is anything to write home about. He's Courtney Lee lite who dunks the ball. BFD. I'd rather have Hairston.

I'm not giving up on either player, but neither can deliver the goods as we speak. The spurs are still fighting amongst seven other teams for the final five playoff spots. They have a gauntlet of a schedule ahead, and they can ill afford to break in raw talent at this stage of the season. It's better for Malik to prosper and hone his skills at the intermediate level before stepping out onto a bigger platform, while Injuries have robbed Ian of significant developmental time. It is clear that Ian isn't ready to take that next step.

Oh, sure, he's aggressive. But, then again, if you benched anyone of the spurs players for half the season, then called their number, they'd be aggressive too. By adding Ian into the rotation, I doubt the Spurs would be any better defensively than they are now. The Spurs can't sacrafice games in the standings to allow Ian to mature.

Spurs da champs
02-01-2010, 12:57 AM
He ruined the flow of the starting lineup by putting McDyess in for Blair and Hill for Bogans pop is a dumb ass it's to far into the season to 'tinker' with lineups. And he doesn't blair enough in the 2nd half he didn't play him enough period. It's not just Pop it's tony he doesn't create for others and then he is making an excuse that he has that foot condition. Dude's a bum should trade him and Manu while they still have value.

ChumpDumper
02-01-2010, 06:14 AM
But it's not "Fire Pop", it's "Trade Pop" to some organization that is as sheepy and mislead as the PopApologists and overvalue him to the nth degree. Like maybe Toronto??? I don't know if they are, but a Popped for Bosh deal (yeah yeah work out the numbers with Jefferson or what/whomever) could be just the cure we need to get Duncan a 5th.Coaches can't be traded.

That's stupid.

You're stupid.

Fire Pop.

Axl Van Dam
02-01-2010, 06:29 AM
:tu Ian, for all his flaws, is an energetic, big that can block shots and could provide some interior presence for short bursts. He's going to make his share of mistakes, but he needs some spot minutes in certain situations, against certain teams. I'd rather live with him guarding a player like Aldridge, than watching Bonner or Finley helplessly get run over. :tu - I totally agree with this one.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-01-2010, 06:32 AM
:tu Ian, for all his flaws, is an energetic, big that can block shots and could provide some interior presence for short bursts. He's going to make his share of mistakes, but he needs some spot minutes in certain situations, against certain teams. I'd rather live with him guarding a player like Aldridge, than watching Bonner or Finley helplessly get run over. :tu - I totally agree with this one.

Then you might as well hope for the Spurs to sign Saer Sene. Tall shotblocking fouling machines with less BBIQ than some posters on a message board are not going to provide any helpful minutes.

Fabbs
02-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Coaches can't be traded.

That's stupid.

You're stupid.

Fire Pop.
http://www.mightynova.com/images/actor_images/1019/3/2/10193206.jpg,
Nothing in the CBA prevents them from being moved to another team once bought out.

Try some glibness again.

PublicOption
02-01-2010, 10:17 AM
I don't think Pop is a good coach.

Hank Egan and PJ Carlesimo are good coaches.

you all get the idea.

ChumpDumper
02-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Nothing in the CBA prevents them from being moved to another team once bought out.

Try some glibness again.http://www.mightynova.com/images/actor_images/1019/3/2/10193206.jpg

They can't be traded.

You're stupid.

Try some stupidity again.

Fabbs
02-01-2010, 12:17 PM
They can't be traded.

You're stupid.

Try some stupidity again.
http://www.mightynova.com/images/actor_images/1019/3/2/10193206.jpg
Moved, not traded.
Add some fiber.

Fabbs
02-01-2010, 12:18 PM
I don't think Pop is a good coach.

Hank Egan and PJ Carlesimo are good coaches.

you all get the idea.
Hank Egan and PJ Carlesimo are the only coaches who can coach HOFs and great surrounding role players to titles.

you all get the idea.

ChumpDumper
02-01-2010, 12:19 PM
http://www.mightynova.com/images/actor_images/1019/3/2/10193206.jpg
Moved, not traded.
Add some fiber.

But it's not "Fire Pop", it's "Trade Pop" to some organization that is as sheepy and mislead as the PopApologists and overvalue him to the nth degree. Like maybe Toronto??? I don't know if they are, but a Popped for Bosh deal (yeah yeah work out the numbers with Jefferson or what/whomever) could be just the cure we need to get Duncan a 5th.http://www.mightynova.com/images/actor_images/1019/3/2/10193206.jpg

You said trade.

Try not being stupid.

trypldubl
02-01-2010, 01:01 PM
The point is Pop should have played Ian or Malik during the beginnig of the year when we are supposed to be getting a feel of the team. I am not saying they would be like Bynum or Brown but at least see if we could have been getting some type of production from these players. If not then we would have a rested Finley with Bonner. Now we are left to wonder for the rest of the season if these guys could have made a little differnece. I am not saying that if they played good then we would challange the lakers, but maybe Denver.

TJastal
02-02-2010, 09:00 AM
The point is Pop should have played Ian or Malik during the beginnig of the year when we are supposed to be getting a feel of the team. I am not saying they would be like Bynum or Brown but at least see if we could have been getting some type of production from these players. If not then we would have a rested Finley with Bonner. Now we are left to wonder for the rest of the season if these guys could have made a little differnece. I am not saying that if they played good then we would challange the lakers, but maybe Denver.

+1

Pop is a moron that is wasting poor Peter Holt's money when it comes to player development & usage. Hairston could easily be filling Bogans' shoes right now, and saving Holt 1.5m~. As for Mahinmi and his history of injuries, I could see why Ratliff was signed, but Ian has been healthy but never sees a minute of action. There's another 1m~ of Holt's money wasted and Ian has gotten next to zero development minutes.

Fabbs
02-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Blair goes 8-8 in 1st half with 6 boards yet Pop does not start him in the 3rd qtr and he only gets 24 game minutes.

Mike Finley again getting burn while Ian sits. (Finley in at the very end of the game when the Spurs were trying to choke off a 10 pt lead, that i get as the Kings were probably going to try and foul. Instead the Spurs just kept turning it over.) :bang Nonetheless, Finley in during the 1st half while Ian continues to sit.

Manufan909

23 min is not giving someone minutes who went 20 (on almost 90% FG) and 6 with a block and a pair of steals. Wtf are you smoking man, you already forget the Celtics game? That one and the one last night showed that Pop really doesn't know what the fuck is going on this year. If Blair is beasting in the first half, take minutes from every big without initials TD so that DJB can get 30+ minutes. He should still be starting too, he's outplayed Dice this year, as well as Bonner.

And trust me son, it's causation. The cause is Blair playing with unlimited passion IN THE PAINT, just tearing shit up and throwing his big body around. The effect is Tim (the Spurs best player) doesn't have to kill himself being the only big willing to be in the paint on both ends of the floor. Bonner won't touch the paint with a ten foot pole, and Dice only really gets in the paint on D. I would too if I had a jay like that though. I don't even need to get started on his chemistry with Manu. But let me just say this, he has completed more plays with Manu halfway thru his rookie season than Fab and Manu did on their best year (maybe an exaggeration, but I doubt anyone will do the research to prove me wrong). No knock on Fabricio, but no one can deny him and Manu knew each other. Oberto just settled for a sneaky backdoor layup or baseline jumper every once in awhile. But Blair seems to know Manu, has spectacular hands, charges into the lane every chance he gets while maintaining superb body control, and is fine with getting spoon fed by El Contusion. Correlation my ass.

I don't agree with Fabb on a lot of things, but he's spot on about Blair.

PopApologists, care to reply? It's not neccessary but if you do,
Here on this thread or:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143306&page=4

HarlemHeat37
02-09-2010, 12:58 AM
Fabbs is THAT dude..

Chomag
02-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Gotta get this rolling. Ha!