PDA

View Full Version : I think I may have groked Pop's madness

ceperez
11-07-2009, 10:41 AM
So, I'm thinking, why did we sign Bogans?

He's not really that athletic, quick or long to make a great impact on the SG position. His defense is average at best. His offense is one dimensional (open 3 point shot).

The reason we signed Bogans was because of his mindset. Never quit, play hard nose defense at all times.

Early in the season, that's what Pop wants to instill on all the players.

The 2nd half of the Blazers game was in the right direction. We just weren't able to score, but that seems to be correctable.

Haislip and Mahinmi unfortunately are finesse players. Despite having the length and athleticism they aren't going to bring in the right attitude into the game. Hairston may, but he's a rookie so he can't lead by example.

So until Pop sees everyone on board with this kind of intensity, he isn't about to let these rookies influence the mix.

That's why it was good he got on Jefferson's case. The guy had been playing too soft. He's been playing too soft since his days in the Nets and Bucks. It'll be good if he's Pop's favorite whipping boy. The guy has the kind of personality that can take this abuse in a positive way.

So what's with the small ball? Well, every player on the court has to work harder and coordinate better because you've got mismatches everywhere. Playing small ball forces the Spurs on the court to just work so much harder. I don't think it's a formula to win games.

We all expect the Spurs to lose a lot of games in the regular season. That's going to happen while the players get back in to shape ( Ginobli didn't have any lift when he took his shots) and while the players get an attitude adjustment (Jefferson strong to the basket is a good sign).

There you have it. Lots of insanity, but I think there's logic in all this madness.

Chomag
11-07-2009, 10:45 AM
True, or it could just be the wine doing all the thinking. I guess we will see.

Fabbs
11-07-2009, 10:52 AM
So, I'm thinking, why did we sign Bogans?

He's not really that athletic, quick or long to make a great impact on the SG position. His defense is average at best. His offense is one dimensional (open 3 point shot).

The reason we signed Bogans was because of his mindset. Never quit, play hard nose defense at all times.

Early in the season, that's what Pop wants to instill on all the players.

The 2nd half of the Blazers game was in the right direction. We just weren't able to score, but that seems to be correctable.

Haislip and Mahinmi unfortunately are finesse players. Despite having the length and athleticism they aren't going to bring in the right attitude into the game. Hairston may, but he's a rookie so he can't lead by example.

So until Pop sees everyone on board with this kind of intensity, he isn't about to let these rookies influence the mix.

That's why it was good he got on Jefferson's case. The guy had been playing too soft. He's been playing too soft since his days in the Nets and Bucks. It'll be good if he's Pop's favorite whipping boy. The guy has the kind of personality that can take this abuse in a positive way.

So what's with the small ball? Well, every player on the court has to work harder and coordinate better because you've got mismatches everywhere. Playing small ball forces the Spurs on the court to just work so much harder. I don't think it's a formula to win games.

We all expect the Spurs to lose a lot of games in the regular season. That's going to happen while the players get back in to shape ( Ginobli didn't have any lift when he took his shots) and while the players get an attitude adjustment (Jefferson strong to the basket is a good sign).

There you have it. Lots of insanity, but I think there's logic in all this madness..
1. Could you post this in the PopApologists thread?
2. What does "groked" mean?

rayray2k8
11-07-2009, 12:23 PM
:tu