PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs still experiencing growing pains

duncan228
11-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Spurs still experiencing growing pains (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_still_experiencing_growing_pains.html)
By Jeff McDonald

All along, the Spurs knew this wouldn't be easy.

Even as they stockpiled more talent than they've ever assembled, even as NBA pundits rushed to announce them as the most obvious Western Conference threat to the Los Angeles Lakers' dominance, the Spurs knew.

Transforming a remade team into a championship contender isn't as simple as snapping your fingers, waving a magic wand or sprinkling pixie dust. It doesn't happen overnight.

“A lot of teams are going through growing pains right now, whether they've been together forever or whether they're putting some new pieces together,” Spurs forward Tim Duncan said. “It's all about getting through those early-season jitters and trying to figure out what exactly your team is made of and how you're going to play.”

The Spurs went west this week in search of both traction and an identity, finding neither. In a road trip that would have been an abject disaster had it happened in March and not November, they went 0-2 on their sojourn, losing by 14 in Utah and 12 in Portland.

After it, the Spurs returned home Saturday with a 2-3 record and a renewed sense of how difficult any major remodeling project can be.

“Obviously, it's going to take some time,” said Tony Parker, the Spurs' All-Star point guard who could miss the next few games with a sprained left ankle. “But we can do a better job to play together.”

The Spurs are not exactly off to the start many NBA observers predicted after they spent the offseason upgrading their roster with high-powered additions such as Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess.

Perhaps that was to be expected, given the seven new faces on the roster. This is a team built for a slow burn, not a fast start. It is a team unquestionably filled with talent — with a league-high six players who were once All-Stars — but whose early-season ceiling could be limited by roster turnover.

“We're a veteran team, but we have a bunch of new guys,” said Duncan, whose team will play six of its next seven at home, beginning Monday against Toronto. “Veteran or not, we still have a bunch of stuff to learn. We have a lot of players to implement into what we do and get used to what they do.”

Other teams — in Portland, in Cleveland, in New Orleans, in Dallas — have likewise faced a similar slog in trying to integrate new pieces this season.

The Spurs' growing pains have been felt most often on defense, and most acutely in Thursday's 113-99 loss to Utah. In that game, the Spurs allowed 100 points to the Jazz for just the second time in 40 regular-season games, 64 of which came in the paint.

Gregg Popovich casts a wide net when assigning blame for his team's defensive breakdowns.

The culprits, he said, are “new guys who maybe didn't have it as an emphasis in the past, new guys who don't know our system, and returning players that just haven't gotten in a groove yet.”

“It's a five-man deal,” Popovich said. “When one guy screws up his job, it puts pressure on everybody else. And it puts pressure on everybody else to where as a group, you lose your focus, your tenacity, your edge.”

The Spurs played better defense in a 96-84 loss at Portland but had trouble scoring. Even so, Popovich called that game “a step in the right direction.”

On the heels of a road trip that only served to show them how far they have to go, the Spurs can only hope for many more such steps to come.

Chieflion
11-07-2009, 09:47 PM
No. Pop. It is a six man deal. The five players on the court and the coach that subs in the players. No more small ball. The Spurs are still a below average team in terms of athletic ability. We can't outrun the other teams.

itzsoweezee
11-07-2009, 09:49 PM
talent is more important that "the system". BENCH BONER!

Wildcat67
11-07-2009, 09:51 PM
I know this sounds crazy, given our defenses struggles, but I think that we will be fine depite the defense if we just start hitting our open shots. We've been getting plenty of open looks the last few games but haven't been hitting them often enough.

The defense feeds off the offense and when you start missing open shots it takes away you're defensive energy.

Oh yeah, that and REBOUND THE DAMN BALL!!

pjjrfan
11-07-2009, 09:58 PM
I woiuldn't be so put off if the growing pains included major minutes for the new guys, as it is now, it's more of the same with the usual suspects. Where's McDyess and Blair in crunch time? It's small ball with Tim looking overwhelmed by guys coming at him in the paint. I can see that Jefferson is having a hard time adjusting to his new team, but he's getting playing time, so I have hope he will work his way to playing better, but as for McDyess and Balir I don't see them adjusting with no playing time and especially in tight games.

Chieflion
11-07-2009, 10:04 PM
The defense is not as bad as people think it is. There is no way the Spurs can force all the teams to below 40% shooting. However, if the offense does not pick up soon, the Spurs shot 38% from the field fyi. The Spurs also got 26 free throws to 30 free throws for the Blazers. However, more than 6 of those free throws from the Blazers came when the Spurs needed to foul them. The Spurs are a better foul drawing team, but they need to convert those free throws. The role players need to find their groove, otherwise we have no chance of scoring above 95 points.

spurtech09
11-07-2009, 10:32 PM
I say put Ian in the starting line up.....bonner needs to come off the bench

Chieflion
11-07-2009, 10:39 PM
I would say Pop is truly insane if Ian, who has not played a single second in this season gets the start immediately. I believe he needs some minutes off the bench though.

benefactor
11-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Please stop it with the Ian posts in every thread. The Spurs didn't pick up his option for next season for a reason. He hasn't even proven he can be an NBA sub yet, much less a starter.

murpjf88
11-07-2009, 10:50 PM
How bad are the spurs playing, sacramento leads utah by 17 after 3 quarters in utah.

benefactor
11-07-2009, 10:56 PM
How bad are the spurs playing, sacramento leads utah by 17 after 3 quarters in utah.
Utah was at home and motivated after a terrible start. It was a fluke win against a team still trying to find themselves.

HarlemHeat37
11-07-2009, 11:00 PM
We did beat Sacramento by around 20 when they had Martin..

sports are just strange like that..

hater
11-07-2009, 11:05 PM
The culprits, he said, are “new guys who maybe didn't have it as an emphasis in the past, new guys who don't know our system, and returning players that just haven't gotten in a groove yet.”

wow, pop calling out RJ.

when RJ plays with 100% commitment it shows. he just started doing that last game...

lennyalderette
11-07-2009, 11:15 PM
+1 hater

we all seem to be frustrted that pop is "experimenting" with the wrong guys (bonner, finley) i see us doing good during this home stretch, and by the end of it there wont be so much panic from everyone. i know pop is very stubborn but we also have to remember that in the preseason bonner and finley were doing great out there so he prob. expected them to play fine! im glad theyre weakness is being exposed right now rather than playoffs, like last year! this could be a blessing in disguise guys, imagine if they were playing avg .consistently they would never be on the bench

SpurNation
11-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Maybe it should read...Spurs still "experimenting" growing pains.

Blackjack
11-07-2009, 11:35 PM

I'm guessing that's something that happens when someone really loves the game of basketball. A Greg Maddux of the NBA, if you will...

JWest596
11-08-2009, 01:17 AM
A half a dozen games in and you'd think we were fighting for the 8th seed and a couple of games back in April. Look at last year's slow start and see where we ended.. Get a perspective, this a a very new team.

Nothing happens or matters till the rodeo trip.

Go jump off that bandwagon cliff too many live on. good grief.

SenorSpur
11-08-2009, 01:42 AM
Pop is full of shit regarding his attempts to play the generic blame game. Frankly, the defensive breakdowns and inefficiency date back as far as a year ago. When two-fifths of his starting lineup consist of Bonner & Finley, the defense will suffer. When Duncan is forced to work as hard on the defensive end as he does on the offensive end ( and it's been that way for about 3 seasons now) there is a problem.

Get better defenders on the floor and add better defenders to the roster. Experimentation is one thing. When that tinkering involves old guys, that's another matter alltogether.

Danny.Zhu
11-08-2009, 05:27 AM
I'll give them 20 games to prove that was just a growing pain.

draft87
11-08-2009, 05:49 AM

yes dude, keep yr boner in yr pants. let's pause the talent vs system argument.

Riverwalkman
11-08-2009, 05:58 AM
1. RJ has a lot of room to improve his defense. For now it's a bad thing, but in the long term, I believe RJ will be a elite perimeter defender.

2. Veterans are getting back in shape: Dice, Duncan, Ginobili. Dice with Duncan in the paint will play the most significant time, Dice is so important. Ginobili looks good so far, just a little out of shape.

3. Newcomers are learning the system: Ratliff, Bogans, Dice, RJ, Blair. Ratliff has not given Spurs any energy in paint yet, Bogan is getting better, Blair showed he's a legitimate NBA player, and defensively his sliding step is working in progress, I'm not worried about his future because as a rookie he looks very smart.

4. Team rotation is in transition: Bonner and Fin are getting less playing time. As all Spurs fans expected, I think it will take a while before Fin and Bonner find the new role, let's just be patient.

Spurs will be OK.

BillMc
11-08-2009, 07:29 AM
My hunch is that Bonner and Finley are getting all these minutes because they know the system. As the others pickup the system B&F's minutes will go down.

SenorSpur
11-08-2009, 10:19 AM
My hunch is that Bonner and Finley are getting all these minutes because they know the system. As the others pickup the system B&F's minutes will go down.

Probably, but if you're losing games anyway because your on-court talent level is inferior and the opposition is routinely exploiting your weaknesses, what's the point? There is simply no advantage to that strategy. You may as well be losing while the new players are gaining the benefit of experience.

NRHector
11-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Probably, but if you're losing games anyway because your on-court talent level is inferior and the opposition is routinely exploiting your weaknesses, what's the point? There is simply no advantage to that strategy. You may as well be losing while the new players are gaining the benefit of experience.amen to that :tu and is best to lose games with the new players now then later in the season when the game start to mean more

mytespurs
11-08-2009, 03:11 PM
hate to bring up this old saying but it fits:

"Rome wasn't built in a day".

And neither will this Spurs team. They will eventually gel and get it together....either this season or possibly next:wow!

SenorSpur
11-08-2009, 05:06 PM
amen to that :tu and is best to lose games with the new players now then later in the season when the game start to mean more

Amen. :toast

Dice
11-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Probably, but if you're losing games anyway because your on-court talent level is inferior and the opposition is routinely exploiting your weaknesses, what's the point? There is simply no advantage to that strategy. You may as well be losing while the new players are gaining the benefit of experience.

I totally agree. I don't understand the idea of playing guys unless they're going to be used in the future. I think that's why after each game the desire to see certain guys out of the starting line up get stronger. It seems like having those guys in there does nothing but put more pressure on Duncan and the others.

Verses Utah Tim D lead the team in minutes played. Against Portland he was second behind Jefferson. If all this is designed to help him get back into game shape then I'm all for it. But if he's hurt, as the brace suggest, why shouldn't they be playing the other bigs the majority of the minutes?

SamoanTD
11-08-2009, 06:12 PM
No. Pop. It is a six man deal. The five players on the court and the coach that subs in the players. No more small ball. The Spurs are still a below average team in terms of athletic ability. We can't outrun the other teams.
when's the last time the spurs out ran a team?

Chomag
11-08-2009, 09:28 PM

See this is what I don't understand. Posters here are saying it so themselves."These games don't matter it's just the start of the season" Fair enough, but this is more reason to be playing these new players now and not wait until later when these games have more meaning. Toward the playoffs Pop will have a tight noose on the rotations and by that time the youth will not be able to gain their experience needed. We all know what our regular players can do why not get the unknowns in there and stop trying to tinker with the old?