PDA

View Full Version : House passes health care bill

Pistons < Spurs
11-07-2009, 11:28 PM
In a victory for President Barack Obama, the Democratic-controlled House narrowly passed landmark health care legislation Saturday night to expand coverage to tens of millions who lack it and place tough new restrictions on the insurance industry. Republican opposition was nearly unanimous.

The 220-215 vote cleared the way for the Senate to begin debate on the issue that has come to overshadow all others in Congress.

A triumphant Speaker Nancy Pelosi likened the legislation to the passage of Social Security in 1935 and Medicare 30 years later.

"It provides coverage for 96 percent of Americans. It offers everyone, regardless of health or income, the peace of mind that comes from knowing they will have access to affordable health care when they need it," said Rep. John Dingell, the 83-year-old Michigan lawmaker who has introduced national health insurance in every Congress since succeeding his father in 1955.

In the run-up to a final vote, conservatives from the two political parties joined forces to impose tough new restrictions on abortion coverage in insurance policies to be sold to many individuals and small groups. They prevailed on a roll call of 240-194.

Ironically, that only solidified support for the legislation, clearing the way for conservative Democrats to vote for it.

The legislation would require most Americans to carry insurance and provide federal subsidies to those who otherwise could not afford it. Large companies would have to offer coverage to their employees. Both consumers and companies would be slapped with penalties if they defied the government's mandates.

Insurance industry practices such as denying coverage on the basis of pre-existing medical conditions would be banned, and insurers would no longer be able to charge higher premiums on the basis of gender or medical history. In a further slap, the industry would lose its exemption from federal antitrust restrictions on price gouging, bid rigging and market allocation.http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_health_care_overhaul

hater
11-07-2009, 11:35 PM
http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2009/10/29/image5449147x.jpg

someone getting dick tonight

hater
11-07-2009, 11:43 PM
damn Pelosi's chichis are sittin on her belly :vomit:

benefactor
11-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Meh. Still a long ways to go before it becomes law.

spursncowboys
11-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Saturday night. Did Pelosi give it 72 hours on the internet like she promised? Is that another pay-go promise?

boutons_deux
11-08-2009, 09:41 AM
It will take reconciliation in the Senate.

Do the Dems have the balls for reconciliation? I doubt it.

Wild Cobra
11-08-2009, 10:48 AM
The Dow closed at 10,023.42 Friday. I wonder how far it will drop now?

Joaquin Phoenix
11-08-2009, 11:06 AM
damn Pelosi's chichis are sittin on her belly :vomit:

I'd hit it.

Drachen
11-08-2009, 12:22 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_health_care_overhaul

public option or no??

spurster
11-08-2009, 01:28 PM

It will go up instead. Health care costs is one the things hurting the US economy and driving jobs out of the country. However, if and ever the US implements universal health care, it will take a while to get to a consistent system. I think there will be a lot of startup problems with it.

Nbadan
11-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Democrats versus Republicans...

5bafg3brwX8

boutons_deux
11-08-2009, 02:33 PM
The bill, like anything else coming out of Congress is deeply flawed and compromised (eg, no robust public option), but it's a start and will need refining and correcting.

Other countries with national insurance/health care systems have been refining them for decades. They just didn't pop out overnight in one legislative act.

One strike against the US plan is that other countries didn't have paranoid, loser fucktards screaming the empty heads off poisoning the national discourse, intending to destroy govt as 100% evil, nor an obstructioninst, destructive, ignorant Party of No like the tea-bagging Repugs, more interested in politics and abusing government to their own enrichment than in governing (which they consider to be an illegitmate activity, since government is illegitimate).

antimvp
11-08-2009, 02:42 PM
try to find it on www.foxnews.com

you will need a magnifying glass find the story.

jack sommerset
11-08-2009, 02:49 PM

:lol It's on the front page. Top of the page.

jack sommerset
11-08-2009, 02:58 PM

:lol It's the headline story on the site.

jack sommerset
11-08-2009, 02:59 PM

:lol The frist 4 stories are about it.

Nbadan
11-08-2009, 03:03 PM
The bill, like anything else coming out of Congress is deeply flawed and compromised (eg, no robust public option), but it's a start and will need refining and correcting.

Yeah, one deep flaw is abortion and private insurers...now they don't pay?

Spursmania
11-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I'd hit it.

:vomit:

Spursmania
11-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Yeah, one deep flaw is abortion and private insurers...now they don't pay?

and no portability or tort reform.

Wild Cobra
11-09-2009, 07:29 AM
I wonder if the one republican who voted for it, did so to force a senate vote, to see who to vote out, or if he's a RINO? Afterall, it won't get through the senate.

spursncowboys
11-09-2009, 11:16 AM
I wonder if the one republican who voted for it, did so to force a senate vote, to see who to vote out, or if he's a RINO? Afterall, it won't get through the senate.
They said his district is primarily New Orleans. I can imagine that cities cradle to the grave fed "help" and "assistance" played a role in him going to the darkside.

George Gervin's Afro
11-09-2009, 11:38 AM
They said his district is primarily New Orleans. I can imagine that cities cradle to the grave fed "help" and "assistance" played a role in him going to the darkside.

Isn't the gov of LA a conservative?

spurster
11-09-2009, 12:10 PM

It will go up instead. Health care costs is one the things hurting the US economy and driving jobs out of the country. However, if and ever the US implements universal health care, it will take a while to get to a consistent system. I think there will be a lot of startup problems with it.

Up 151.30 as of noon Eastern Time.

boutons_deux
11-09-2009, 12:13 PM
It's the stock prices of the health insurance companies specifically that should be watched.

Their stock went UP when the right-wing was spreading lies, echoed by the media, that the public option was dead.

coyotes_geek
11-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Up 151.30 as of noon Eastern Time.

Retailiers and the banks are having some good news today. That's driving the dow up, not the healthcare vote.

spursncowboys
11-09-2009, 12:28 PM
If this is so great, why was it voted on on Saturday? What is the precedent to voting on a weekend. Where the next week is shortened with Veterans Day.

SA210
11-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Democrats versus Republicans...

5bafg3brwX8

:toast That was awesome! Thanks for posting Nbadan!

spurster
11-09-2009, 04:24 PM

I guess it wasn't Doomsday for the stock market.

Dow Hits High for Year as Dollar Weakens
By JAVIER C. HERNANDEZ

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/10/business/10markets.html

ElNono
11-09-2009, 07:09 PM
I guess it wasn't Doomsday for the stock market.

Dow Hits High for Year as Dollar Weakens
By JAVIER C. HERNANDEZ

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/10/business/10markets.html

You mean the world didn't end? Well, that's a relief... :lol

word
11-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Two commie birds with one stone. National health care, and a National ID as a result.

What gets me is Pelosi said this bill would insure 95% of Americans.

Okay, we started out that 40 million were uninsured, by their own numbers, which is 13%. This bill, by her own admission, leaves out 5%. So basically, a 2000 page trillion+ dollar bill to insure another 8% that were previously uninsured.

Why not just chip in say, 100 billion a year to insure that 8% and call it 'good enough'. Not even. 50 billion would probably cover it.

Just expand medicaid and be done with it. Problem solved !!