PDA

View Full Version : ok, clubbers, how exactly depressed am I?

holcs50
11-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Ok, my slight accomplishments are double majoring at UofA with crim jusics/public managemnt...who cares. Got a masters from sdsu last september in accounting(08).

So i think im so smooth i have my major at the time, well, yaaaayyyy....NO one gave a fuck at the time of the econ meltdown....and now so much time has gone by from my last job which was two years ago while in grad school doing auditing stuff....Well lets just say I got lucky and my gparents bought beachouses in the 80s and now have one-only because i can stay there for free-but cant get a damn interview no matter how many jobs i apply to with my resume. I really think now it was dumb to go to grad school....just worked out it was dumb. IDK just um seeing if other spurstalkers have felt the econ let down. Im just trying to stay positive but hard at times. All i can say is getting my masters was a waste of fucking time!!!

Debbie Downer
11-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Getting your master's degree is a great accomplishment and your whole family should be proud of you but......have you gotten your H1N1 vaccination yet?

balli
11-08-2009, 11:51 AM
You have a masters- you can do whatever the fuck you want. If you can't get some high paying accounting job, go be a teacher or some shit. But as long as you're able to eat and pay for internet access and chill all day in a rent-free beach house, don't get depressed because you aren't making money as a pencil-pushing, desk jockey.

Smoke some weed and get your priorities in order.

holcs50
11-08-2009, 11:56 AM
guys thanks for that-but im not lying i have my masters in accounting from last september and double majored in undergrad....maybe i need to start looking elsewhere than san diego....i think the point is now people want good work experience and all i really show is , well, im good educationally wise. But, yea, thanks guys, but no matter how much I love my sitch in diego, Im going to have to move, so I just gotta start applying in places besides diego. ha. Just the way it goes......

But i made many mistakes, i should've interned whatever, either way love diego but hate that no one even gives me a damn interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do any of you clubbers/long time spurs fans know anyone who wants a beginning auditor/acct? I'd love to move to SA, but like anything else highly doubt, ha.

balli
11-08-2009, 12:02 PM
The point is, I don't think you should feel like having a good education is a waste. You might not be able to get the career you want now, in San Diego. But like you alluded to, that won't always be true, everywhere. And if you can't get a career now, maybe it will lead to a better one later- life unfold in mysterious ways.

In the meantime, I'd try to keep positive. Work experience or no, you've put yourself in a much better position than most people. No sense getting depressed about things you can't control.

TDMVPDPOY
11-08-2009, 12:02 PM
lol same as you but bachelors atm doing jackshit for 2yrs now collecting dusts

Spursfan092120
11-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Masters degree + free beachhouse in San Diego = depression? dude...seriously..

holcs50
11-08-2009, 12:18 PM
The point is, I don't think you should feel like having a good education is a waste. You might not be able to get the career you want now, in San Diego. But like you alluded to, that won't always be true, everywhere. And if you can't get a career now, maybe it will lead to a better one later- life unfold in mysterious ways.

In the meantime, I'd try to keep positive. Work experience or no, you've put yourself in a much better position than most people. No sense getting depressed about things you can't control.

thanks balli for ur input. idk, yea its just ridiculously depressing trying to apply for accounting/auditing jobs since last september. And honestly at this point im almost like fuck this haha. I mean ive been studying for my cpa for the last 4 monts-cpa anyone? well its 4 test all u should only test for one in an open window ha. .....im just saying i've never been a depressed guy and now i find myself as days/weeks go buy being like wow u are a loser. ha. i just feel that way now. Im sure things might change but this is a thread as where im/ur at. three wprds IT SUCKX BALLSZZ

holcs50
11-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Masters degree + free beachhouse in San Diego = depression? dude...seriously..

sorry spurs but yea. ha, not a depressed guy ever who would say i need pills-cuz thats retarded but yep.... not lying my bro, ha, not lyin. And please dont give me the apply to here and there because ive applied to everywhere, so save that my brah

TDMVPDPOY
11-08-2009, 12:24 PM
thanks balli for ur input. idk, yea its just ridiculously depressing trying to apply for accounting/auditing jobs since last september. And honestly at this point im almost like fuck this haha. I mean ive been studying for my cpa for the last 4 monts-cpa anyone? well its 4 test all u should only test for one in an open window ha. .....im just saying i've never been a depressed guy and now i find myself as days/weeks go buy being like wow u are a loser. ha. i just feel that way now. Im sure things might change but this is a thread as where im/ur at. three wprds IT SUCKX BALLSZZ

i was going to do the cpa course, but i think its useless, theres plenty of ppl out there with cpa certificates that are unemployed, no point in me wanting to compete for high end jobs when i just want a 50-60k job...thats about it...not in managerial positions bs.

holcs50
11-08-2009, 12:33 PM
i was going to do the cpa course, but i think its useless, theres plenty of ppl out there with cpa certificates that are unemployed, no point in me wanting to compete for high end jobs when i just want a 50-60k job...thats about it...not in managerial positions bs.

thats some bullshit man, really. OK, get this, if you have the money to pay for the tests and the study/knowledge....u become a CPA....no one, no professor, no stupid boss, not a g0d damn person could take that away from You> you better fess up and do it u little pussy

Nbadan
11-08-2009, 12:40 PM
That's the kinda fight I like to see......hey, maybe you just need a change of yourself..ask yourself.....what kinda person do people see when you walk in the door? Do they see someone who is gonna be reliable? Someone who isn't a quitter when things get tough? Someone who is professional, and puts out a professional air about themselves? Someone who if they met in a professional manner, they would qualify that person as highly qualified for the job they are administering....if not, that's the person you need to become......change hurts...

Spursfan092120
11-08-2009, 12:42 PM
sorry spurs but yea. ha, not a depressed guy ever who would say i need pills-cuz thats retarded but yep.... not lying my bro, ha, not lyin. And please dont give me the apply to here and there because ive applied to everywhere, so save that my brah
Well, I feel you man. If you're genuinely depressed, I hope it gets better, and I'm sure it will. My wife went through a bout of depression..not easy, but she got through it, and I'm sure you will too. I'm not one of those guys who likes to kick people when they're down, so I won't be telling you to apply anywhere or anything. Have you ever read or watched "The Secret"? It helped me when I was having problems with being depressed, and it happens sometimes when you're in sales. Just an idea. I'll pray for ya.

Why?
11-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I don't think you should be depressed considering the level of education you have. I would think you'd be in
http://emilygracewriting.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/7th-heaven.jpg .

I would say you are in a better position than most out there on the unemployment line.

David Bowie
11-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm in a similar boat. I graduated from a top 30 university about 2 years ago( and have a good amount of loans to repay) and had a great job that I loved and made decent money. Then, my firm changed ownership, and the dude (who barely knew me) let go a bunch of people. This happened like a year ago. Since then I worked a contract job for another lawyer for shit money, but that obviously ended. Then I got a full time job (for shit moeny again) but it was so extremly stressful then I had to quit, otherwise I would have had a breakdown. I very rarely get interviews. Whereas when I was applying the first time around, I was turning down interviews. When I do get an interview once in a blue moon, it doesn't go anywhere, and I feel they are looking for somebody more experienced, since there are so many people with good credentials out of a job right now. I go through periods where I send a lot of resumes and even call comapnies. But I also go through periods where I just give up. I have a serious anxiety disorder which is just wonderful :rolleyes so I can only apply to low stress jobs. But being uenployed and having nothing meaningful to do all day is really not helping. Ugh .

DoubtingThomas
11-08-2009, 01:00 PM
So education is not the key?

David Bowie
11-08-2009, 01:02 PM
So education is not the key?

I think that being confident and good with people (also having lots of connections) and looking the part is the key. Education comes after that.

DoubtingThomas
11-08-2009, 01:05 PM
I think that being confident and good with people (also having lots of connections) and looking the part is the key. Education comes after that.

Interesting....wouldn't education give you that confidence and those connections? You hobnob with the other higher educated folks over martinis and appetizers at the swankier clubs?

David Bowie
11-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Interesting....wouldn't education give you that confidence and those connections? You hobnob with the other higher educated folks over martinis and appetizers at the swankier clubs?

I think that sometimes it does. But if you don't have the innate confidence and that "it" factor it's kind of hard to learn. And if you are shy to begin with, you won't make that many connections, even with a degree. So, I think personality comes first, then education.

xellos88330
11-08-2009, 01:24 PM
I think that sometimes it does. But if you don't have the innate confidence and that "it" factor it's kind of hard to learn. And if you are shy to begin with, you won't make that many connections, even with a degree. So, I think personality comes first, then education.

I agree with this. Education just gets the attention, it is up to you to seal the deal.

tlongII
11-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Pray about it. That should work. :tu

DoubtingThomas
11-08-2009, 01:32 PM
I agree with this. Education just gets the attention, it is up to you to seal the deal.

So in other words having a top notch degree won't necessarily help a guy like this?

http://www.pep.ph/images/guide/49f534481.jpg

Not only does he need a top notch education but he also needs to go to "Cool School"?

DoubtingThomas
11-08-2009, 01:33 PM
And Trainwreck has to worry about getting laid too!?!?!?

jman3000
11-08-2009, 01:42 PM
It's honestly 90% who you know as opposed to what you know. I know that cliched, but it's the truth. It's either A) Know somebody who is somebody B) Marry into money C) Get lucky

There are tons of people who are successful on their own merits, but in the large picture they make up as big a percentage of people as one might think.

I'm doing really well right now and I think it's because of my personality and my ability to learn things fast. Being in one of the least recession plagued city in the nation also doesn't hurt.

koriwhat
11-08-2009, 01:52 PM
I'd love to move to SA, but like anything else highly doubt, ha.

you dont want to move here... SA sucks ass!

you think youre depressed now, wait till you get to SA coming from beautiful SD.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Maybe get a job, any job really, to make yourself feel productive again. I don't think anyone is going to fault you for being overqualified/underemployed in this economy.

Smart Ass
11-08-2009, 02:31 PM
http://stuffunemployedpeoplelike.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/useless-diploma.jpg

mavs>spurs2
11-08-2009, 04:00 PM
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-degrees_with_the_highest_roi-656

Degrees with the highest return on investment:

4. Bachelor's Degree in Accounting
One segment of the workforce stands to flourish in the wake of the financial crisis: accountants. Qualified accountants can count on healthy demand all around -- first as agents of the economy-wide financial restructuring, thereafter as administrators of the new federal regulations. One report on the finance sector observes that the credit crisis has escalated demand for accountants, producing favorable returns for qualified professionals: "To combat the skills shortages in investment banking, retail banking, and investment management, some organizations offer the highest base salary possible while others strive for better 'mixed' packages (bonus, pensions, etc.)."

According to the BLS, accountants experienced a median salary of $63,180 in 2007. CPAs earn considerable more; a 2007 survey found an average salary of $91,608, which represents a 9 percent increase over '06. While the rest of the economy faces pay cuts and layoffs, accountants can expect "an overall salary increase of 3.4 percent in 2009," reports Robert Half International.

Getting your CPA is an absolute must and probably the reason you've yet to find a job. Another reason might be your location. Here in DFW area there are literally HUNDREDS of positions available. I'm also an accounting major so I've been doing my research. There should be literally NO reason why you can't find a job once you get your CPA certification. If you still can't find a job, it's probably the area where you live. You should consider applying to jobs further away and considering moving if you land one. Good luck man, you should be fucking proud to have a masters in such a field :tu

JoeChalupa
11-08-2009, 04:18 PM
I know quite a few friends with degrees with no jobs. It sucks.

holcs50
11-08-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm in a similar boat. I graduated from a top 30 university about 2 years ago( and have a good amount of loans to repay) and had a great job that I loved and made decent money. Then, my firm changed ownership, and the dude (who barely knew me) let go a bunch of people. This happened like a year ago. Since then I worked a contract job for another lawyer for shit money, but that obviously ended. Then I got a full time job (for shit moeny again) but it was so extremly stressful then I had to quit, otherwise I would have had a breakdown. I very rarely get interviews. Whereas when I was applying the first time around, I was turning down interviews. When I do get an interview once in a blue moon, it doesn't go anywhere, and I feel they are looking for somebody more experienced, since there are so many people with good credentials out of a job right now. I go through periods where I send a lot of resumes and even call comapnies. But I also go through periods where I just give up. I have a serious anxiety disorder which is just wonderful :rolleyes so I can only apply to low stress jobs. But being uenployed and having nothing meaningful to do all day is really not helping. Ugh .

yea i mean sometimes im just so wanting to walk into a building and say "I know a lot more than u fucks" haha, and that may be true OR not, but idk just a funk....I do think if your a good person it will end up alright. So my cheers and my love goes to u bowie. And chumpdump it may just be that time. Sadly that time.

JoeChalupa
11-08-2009, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't be depressed.

symple19
11-08-2009, 04:57 PM
California is a straight up shitty place to be looking for work. If SoCal is anything close to as bad as NorCal is, then I feel for ya. I'm lucky to have the gig I do, and know a lot of people who are out of work or underemployed. I read that there are 7 jobless for every one oopen position in this state. I would definitely start looking elsewhere, as bad as it would be to leave sunny SD

ChumpDumper
11-08-2009, 04:58 PM
yea i mean sometimes im just so wanting to walk into a building and say "I know a lot more than u fucks" haha, and that may be true OR not, but idk just a funk....I do think if your a good person it will end up alright. So my cheers and my love goes to u bowie. And chumpdump it may just be that time. Sadly that time.I don't think there is anything sad about it. There's nothing stopping you from continuing your job search while you work somewhere else, and keeping busy will probably make you feel better.

holcs50
11-08-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't think there is anything sad about it. There's nothing stopping you from continuing your job search while you work somewhere else, and keeping busy will probably make you feel better.

wow, ha. just everything comes easy to ya? Of course i continue my job search, while trying to study for my CPA. Thats what i do and prob a lot of other people. Do you know what the CPA is...wikipedia it. Anyways you just sounded like a douche so i responded like one. Now go get a maxipad

ChumpDumper
11-08-2009, 05:10 PM
wow, ha. just everything comes easy to ya? Of course i continue my job search, while trying to study for my CPA. Thats what i do and prob a lot of other people. Do you know what the CPA is...wikipedia it. Anyways you just sounded like a douche so i responded like one. Now go get a maxipadReally? I didn't sense any douchiness in your initial response. I took you at your word that you were depressed. If you don't want advice, don't ask for it.

I suppose you could just wallow in self-pity and kill yourself. That is also an option. Not one I would take, but everything comes easy to me.

Like a rent free beach house.

exstatic
11-08-2009, 08:13 PM
So, you're living rent free in your parent's SD beach house. I think I'd probably go get a JOB at like Starbucks, just enough to keep me in surf wax and board shorts, and tell them over the next ten years that I'm still looking for that Accounting job. :lol

holcs50
11-08-2009, 08:31 PM
So, you're living rent free in your parent's SD beach house. I think I'd probably go get a JOB at like Starbucks, just enough to keep me in surf wax and board shorts, and tell them over the next ten years that I'm still looking for that Accounting job. :lol

yes i am living rent free in a beach house.....but that doesn't make me feel any better. The 75 apps i've sent in the last year without one call back or email back makes me depressed/angry. I mean I'm not living on life support here cuz my grandma gives me cash sometimes and i have some savings but I'm just saying it's ridic a guy who has over a 3.0 at a U with a double maj and a grad school now can't get a job. U might be right though, about time to go to the jobs I prob could've worked out of hs.....but it is kind of depressing at the same time.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Ok, my slight accomplishments are double majoring at UofA with crim jusics/public managemnt...who cares. Got a masters from sdsu last september in accounting(08).

So i think im so smooth i have my major at the time, well, yaaaayyyy....NO one gave a fuck at the time of the econ meltdown....and now so much time has gone by from my last job which was two years ago while in grad school doing auditing stuff....Well lets just say I got lucky and my gparents bought beachouses in the 80s and now have one-only because i can stay there for free-but cant get a damn interview no matter how many jobs i apply to with my resume. I really think now it was dumb to go to grad school....just worked out it was dumb. IDK just um seeing if other spurstalkers have felt the econ let down. Im just trying to stay positive but hard at times. All i can say is getting my masters was a waste of fucking time!!!

My advice to you both is to just get any job, something part-time even, say 20-30 hours a week, and focus on enjoying your life. A job of any kind is a good thing because it means you have less time on your hands and boredom is one thing that definitely leads to depression.

Keep applying for stuff, but maybe try volunteering somewhere or interning for 5-10 hours a week. You'd be surprised how often that leads to a job.

And holcs, if you find yourself clinically depressed (ie. contemplating suicide, crying for no reason, unable to sleep, finding no joy in things you usually love), go and get some help.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-08-2009, 09:20 PM
You didn't need to be an arsehole to CD - he gave you some good advice.

yes i am living rent free in a beach house.....but that doesn't make me feel any better. The 75 apps i've sent in the last year without one call back or email back makes me depressed/angry. I mean I'm not living on life support here cuz my grandma gives me cash sometimes and i have some savings but I'm just saying it's ridic a guy who has over a 3.0 at a U with a double maj and a grad school now can't get a job. U might be right though, about time to go to the jobs I prob could've worked out of hs.....but it is kind of depressing at the same time.

75 apps without an interview? Have you considered that maybe your applications are substandard? Do you know how to write a job ap and do a resume properly? If you don't get that stuff exactly right, your ap goes straight in the bin.

And as for this: "I'm just saying it's ridic a guy who has over a 3.0 at a U with a double maj and a grad school now can't get a job", join the club. Even when it's not recession time a lot of fresh grads have a very difficult time getting a job. I speak from experience. Just go out and get something to keep you active and improve your resume (no emplyer wants someone who just sits on their arse), finish your CPA, and keep plugging away.

holcs50
11-08-2009, 09:23 PM
My advice to you both is to just get any job, something part-time even, say 20-30 hours a week, and focus on enjoying your life. A job of any kind is a good thing because it means you have less time on your hands and boredom is one thing that definitely leads to depression.

Keep applying for stuff, but maybe try volunteering somewhere or interning for 5-10 hours a week. You'd be surprised how often that leads to a job.

And holcs, if you find yourself clinically depressed (ie. contemplating suicide, crying for no reason, unable to sleep, finding no joy in things you usually love), go and get some help.

na i mean I still love life man, i have great parents, friends, and am fortunate enough to have gps alive that i love (regardless of their problems). But no i dont take pills, every now and then i drink tho -have some cocktails, beers and just free falll like petty says now im free fallin. Idk, im sure in the end it will work out its just now some days im mad/depressed/angry i didnt do some things...but hey can't look back. Hindsight is 20/20

TDMVPDPOY
11-08-2009, 09:41 PM
lol i know how you feel buddy,

most of them job ads are fake anyway...trust me...

mavs>spurs2
11-08-2009, 09:45 PM
hey op why did you completely disregard my post? economic turmoil should only increase the need for accountants. there are a lot of positions near where I live and I'm curious about the whole thing

atxrocker
11-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Emo fags who grow depressed over having a masters, inherited beach houses and too much free time make me lol. Sounds like you have it pretty horrible. :rolleyes

Kyle Orton
11-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Emo fags who grow depressed over having a masters, inherited beach houses and too much free time make me lol. Sounds like you have it pretty horrible. :rolleyes

oh crap

Kori Ellis
11-08-2009, 10:09 PM
If you have filled out 75 applications and haven't gotten an interview, you are either a) picking the wrong jobs or b) have a poor resume. Your best bet at this point is to go to an employment agency/headhunter service and get someone to help you improve your resume/refer you to jobs. The economy is tough, but it's not so tough that you shouldn't have at least gotten an interview. Aim for a job that might be a little beneath your skill/education level, but that has room for advancement.

Good luck.

TDMVPDPOY
11-08-2009, 10:13 PM
ever tried not listing ur certificates on ur CV?

i tried that once, underqualified,
i put it my certificates, they say im overqualified...