PDA

View Full Version : Who replaces TP on the roster?

yavozerb
11-08-2009, 12:58 PM
With TP not dressing out for next week (probably more like 2) who will replace his roster spot? Will it be the fan favorite Malik Hairston, or will it be the you tube sensation Marcus Haislip, or maybe even the "saviour" himself Ian Mahinmi? What do you guys think?

benefactor
11-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Hairston makes the most sense. Pop will either use Mason or Manu to take up the backup PG minutes, so there will need to be someone to make up the minutes at the wing.

Leetonidas
11-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Hairston. Spurs need another G/F.

Agloco
11-08-2009, 01:03 PM
I'd love to see Hairston come up, but do more than guard the Gatorade.

HarlemHeat37
11-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Considering Hairston was arguably our most consistent player in camp and pre-season, I would expect it to be him..

if Ratliff can't even see the floor, I doubt Ian and Haislip will get consideration at this point..

TD 21
11-08-2009, 06:54 PM
The tendency is to see a guard go down and replace him with another guard, but that's not necessary in this case. Hill can start at the point and Mason/Ginobili will likely play together in the back court a lot, both handling the point at times. Hairston offers no depth at point and the lack of length and athleticism in the front court is alarming, so it should be Haislip or Mahinmi. The Spurs need to find out what they have with both, since either could theoretically fill a glaring hole in the front court.

Haislip should see time against the Raptors guarding Bosh. In fact, I wouldn't even mind starting him, letting him play the first 6 minutes of each half and seeing how he does. This is precisely the type of player who will destroy Bonner and who Haislip theoretically matches up well with. Bosh, as per usual at the start of the season, is playing out of his mind right now. Both he and Bargnani are tough match-ups for the Spurs front court.

VivaPopovich
11-08-2009, 06:59 PM
With TP not dressing out for next week (probably more like 2) who will replace his roster spot? Will it be the fan favorite Malik Hairston, or will it be the you tube sensation Marcus Haislip, or maybe even the "saviour" himself Ian Mahinmi? What do you guys think?

Hairston should be on that lineup even with TP there.

We have a starting athletic 3 in Jefferson but we don't have an athletic 3 coming off the bench. Malik's that man.

HarlemHeat37
11-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Haislip was torched by Rob Kurz..I don't want to imagine what Bosh would do to him..

TD 21
11-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Haislip was torched by Rob Kurz..I don't want to imagine what Bosh would do to him..

Bosh is going to destroy whoever the Spurs put on him, but at least in Haislip's case he theoretically matches up with him well. I have no illusions about Haislip being a star or a stopper or the 2nd coming of Horry, but he is reasonably long, very athletic and has good quickness. They signed him to a guaranteed contract for a reason, so why not give him a look? I'd rather find out early if he can/can't help the team now than still not know later in the season when the lineup experimenting (hopefully) will be done and the rotation close to being set for the playoffs.

Libri
11-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Considering Hairston was arguably our most consistent player in camp and pre-season, I would expect it to be him..

if Ratliff can't even see the floor, I doubt Ian and Haislip will get consideration at this point..

I agree with your point. Since Pop has been using small ball, I think that Hairston will be on the roster.

NFGIII
11-08-2009, 07:22 PM
It seems that the consensus is Hairston. I'd like to see him get some minutes and evaluate his progress.

ceperez
11-08-2009, 07:28 PM
While we are still experimenting, I would rather all three (Hairston, Haislip, Mahinmi) to play rather than experimenting with a small lineup that has Finley as the PF.

I mean Einstein said it best "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

benefactor
11-08-2009, 07:36 PM
The tendency is to see a guard go down and replace him with another guard, but that's not necessary in this case. Hill can start at the point and Mason/Ginobili will likely play together in the back court a lot, both handling the point at times. Hairston offers no depth at point and the lack of length and athleticism in the front court is alarming, so it should be Haislip or Mahinmi. The Spurs need to find out what they have with both, since either could theoretically fill a glaring hole in the front court.

I'm just not seeing it. Besides the lack of depth that would occur at the wing with Mason/Manu picking up minutes at the point, Hairston is currently on a non-guaranteed deal. The Spurs at some point will have to decide whether or not he is worth keeping or cutting. It's hard for them to decide that when they have opportunities to look at him but they keep him behind the bench in a suit instead.

TD 21
11-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm just not seeing it. Besides the lack of depth that would occur at the wing with Mason/Manu picking up minutes at the point, Hairston is currently on a non-guaranteed deal. The Spurs at some point will have to decide whether or not he is worth keeping or cutting. It's hard for them to decide that when they have opportunities to look at him but they keep him behind the bench in a suit instead.

Having another wing makes no sense, because he has no chance to play. Right now there's a clear cut 5 wings ahead of him, even if you want to count Mason/Ginobili as one PG right now (that doesn't preclude them from also playing wing), there's still plenty of depth there. Also keep in mind that the Raptors don't have a ton of firepower on the wing, so it's not like the Spurs could possibly use more wing defense. What they could definitely use is length and athleticism on the front line. Ratliff has no logical match-up against the Raptors, nor does Blair. So rather than watch Bonner and Finley/Jefferson (they likely won't match-up specifically with Bosh, but will likely see time at the four when Johnson is in for the Raptors) get destroyed both defensively and on the boards against Bosh, why not allow Haislip to be active and play in this game? Haiston is more than likely a part of the future, guaranteed deal or not. Haislip and Mahinmi, who knows? Now is the time to find out and do so without de-activating Ratliff for no reason.

Flux451
11-08-2009, 08:19 PM
I have a feeling Hairston will get an opportunity against the Raptors. I hope he shine and puts a spark in our defense. I have been rooting for him since day one.

benefactor
11-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Having another wing makes no sense, because he has no chance to play. Right now there's a clear cut 5 wings ahead of him, even if you want to count Mason/Ginobili as one PG right now (that doesn't preclude them from also playing wing), there's still plenty of depth there. Also keep in mind that the Raptors don't have a ton of firepower on the wing, so it's not like the Spurs could possibly use more wing defense. What they could definitely use is length and athleticism on the front line. Ratliff has no logical match-up against the Raptors, nor does Blair. So rather than watch Bonner and Finley/Jefferson (they likely won't match-up specifically with Bosh, but will likely see time at the four when Johnson is in for the Raptors) get destroyed both defensively and on the boards against Bosh, why not allow Haislip to be active and play in this game? Haiston is more than likely a part of the future, guaranteed deal or not. Haislip and Mahinmi, who knows? Now is the time to find out and do so without de-activating Ratliff for no reason.
Length and athleticism mean nothing when you are talking about a player that is terrible defensively and cannot shoot...and Blair is actually a better matchup than you think. With Toronto's lack of interior strength and them not being a very good rebounding team his work on the boards could be very important. The thing you are also forgetting is that when you subtract wing minutes from Manu/Mason they go to Finley. This is a much bigger problem than any matchup issues we will deal with regarding Bosh...because who checks Turkoglu if RJ winds up in foul trouble? Hairston has the strength to deal with Hedo and he can provide an offensive lift at the other end.

Interrohater
11-08-2009, 08:29 PM
I bet you a hamburger that we find out tomorrow

Parker2112
11-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Why not give Malik the nod and add to our defensive progress? You know you want to see him in the lineup, pop...

TD 21
11-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Length and athleticism mean nothing when you are talking about a player that is terrible defensively and cannot shoot...and Blair is actually a better matchup than you think. With Toronto's lack of interior strength and them not being a very good rebounding team his work on the boards could be very important. The thing you are also forgetting is that when you subtract wing minutes from Manu/Mason they go to Finley. This is a much bigger problem than any matchup issues we will deal with regarding Bosh...because who checks Turkoglu if RJ winds up in foul trouble? Hairston has the strength to deal with Hedo and he can provide an offensive lift at the other end.

You know for a fact that Haislip is a terrible defender in the NBA? He certainly doesn't have the reputation for being a good defender, but he should do a better job on guys like Bosh than Bonner ever could just based on his physical tools. Cannot shoot? He's supposed to be able to hit, if not the NBA three, then the mid-range jumper comfortably. But that's just it, we don't really know what he's capable of in the NBA at this stage in his career because we haven't seen him in a game that counts.

Blair will play just because the Spurs need his interior scoring, rebounding, toughness and energy. There's won't be many nights he doesn't play, even if there is no logical match-up for him on the opposition. He's a top 8 player on the team and as such will play.

Not too many wing minutes will be subtracted from Ginobili and Mason and the ones that are can and will go to Bogans mostly and Finley somewhat, not Hairston. The Raptors don't have some established scorer with athleticism on the wing, so why would Hairston need to be dressed? Apparently it's fun to have as small a lineup dressed as possible.

As someone who's watch the majority of the Raptors games so far, I can tell you that Turkoglu rarely plays with the ball in his hands and isn't aggressive at all. He's mostly just another player out there (in the sense that he averages low teens in shot attempts) and not a threat to go off for 30. If he hits 20 it'll be because of his superior length over the Spurs undersized wings. Even if he got it going, Bogans would be ahead of Hairston in the rotation. There is no conceivable role for Hairston, other than Pop randomly playing him just to find out what's there. With Haislip, there is a clear role for this game and potentially he could fill that role going forward.

Spursmania
11-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I hope Hairston.

SamoanTD
11-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Haislip or Ian would be coo wit me I just wanna see those guys play

Chomag
11-08-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm rooting for Hairston. I think he can still show some surprises.

HarlemHeat37
11-08-2009, 09:32 PM
I don't think you understand how bad Haislip was in preseason..he was getting torched by everybody he was guarding, and he made Bonner look like Hakeem..only a little hyperbole there..

If one of our bigs is activated for some reason, it should be Ian, since he was actually decent in preseason..

SamoanTD
11-08-2009, 09:40 PM
I don't think you understand how bad Haislip was in preseason..he was getting torched by everybody he was guarding, and he made Bonner look like Hakeem..only a little hyperbole there..

If one of our bigs is activated for some reason, it should be Ian, since he was actually decent in preseason..
foreal? dang I hoped he showed some kind of flash of being decent in the preseason

benefactor
11-08-2009, 10:00 PM
You know for a fact that Haislip is a terrible defender in the NBA? He certainly doesn't have the reputation for being a good defender, but he should do a better job on guys like Bosh than Bonner ever could just based on his physical tools. Cannot shoot? He's supposed to be able to hit, if not the NBA three, then the mid-range jumper comfortably. But that's just it, we don't really know what he's capable of in the NBA at this stage in his career because we haven't seen him in a game that counts.

He was abused in the preseason repeatedly by players that are barely bench players. What leads you to believe he will be of any use against Bosh? Bonner is a far better NBA level defender at this point. Actually, Bonner has been serviceable this year on defense so far. The biggest problem with Bonner has been rebounding...which Haislip can't help with either seeings how he only pulled down 13 rebounds in 81 minutes played. Bonner is also a better ball handler and shooter. BTW, Haislip only made 8 of his 21 shots during those same 81 minutes, including 1-6 from distance.

Blair will play just because the Spurs need his interior scoring, rebounding, toughness and energy. There's won't be many nights he doesn't play, even if there is no logical match-up for him on the opposition. He's a top 8 player on the team and as such will play.

So now you are backpedaling? Earlier you said he wasn't a good matchup for the Raptors.

Not too many wing minutes will be subtracted from Ginobili and Mason and the ones that are can and will go to Bogans mostly and Finley somewhat, not Hairston. The Raptors don't have some established scorer with athleticism on the wing, so why would Hairston need to be dressed? Apparently it's fun to have as small a lineup dressed as possible.

So you would rather have those minutes go to Finley. You are quickly losing credibility in this discussion.

As someone who's watch the majority of the Raptors games so far, I can tell you that Turkoglu rarely plays with the ball in his hands and isn't aggressive at all. He's mostly just another player out there (in the sense that he averages low teens in shot attempts) and not a threat to go off for 30. If he hits 20 it'll be because of his superior length over the Spurs undersized wings. Even if he got it going, Bogans would be ahead of Hairston in the rotation. There is no conceivable role for Hairston, other than Pop randomly playing him just to find out what's there. With Haislip, there is a clear role for this game and potentially he could fill that role going forward.
I haven't seen much of the Raptors this year, but you are wrong if you think Turkoglu is not a game changing player because he was one in Orlando last year. He will be one of the main offensive options and can shoot or take his man off the dribble. He could torch us just as easily as Bosh would. But hey...let's put Finley on him.

All in all its more about who could help on both ends...not just "length and athleticism". Haislip is 29 years old so I seriously doubt his game is going to improve much...a game that in the preseason against other teams scrubs looked like Pops Mensa-Bonsu, James White or any other limited athletic player that the Spurs have brought in over the years. Honestly, I'd activate Mahimni over Haislip, simply because he knows the system better.

EmptyMan
11-08-2009, 10:30 PM
I've got an inside source telling me Finley will start at PG and Mason will move to PF in our lineup.

Pop is really anxious to see how this works.

AussieFanKurt
11-08-2009, 10:39 PM
it better be Hairston
need some explosion

benefactor
11-08-2009, 10:43 PM
The more I think about Haislip playing the more ridiculous it sounds. Let's bring in another bad defender and give Finley more minutes.

God help us.

TD 21
11-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Bonner isn't a "far better defender" than anybody. If you want to base things on preseason then Hill and Blair are the best players on this team. The guy was given a guaranteed contract, wouldn't it make sense at some point to see what he can do? He's theoretically supposed to be able to match-up with face-up four's. If he can't do that, fine, but don't act like he'd be a substantial defensive drop off from Bonner.

I'm not backpedaling at all. Realistically, unless Blair is playing ridiculous in his first rotation, I don't see him getting many minutes against the Raptors, only for the fact that there is no logical match-up for him. I never said he wouldn't play though.

I didn't say I'd rather the minutes go to Finley, but you and I both know they will (and Bogans) before they go to Hairston. Is that so and what exactly gives you credibility, the post count?

You haven't seen much, but you're going to tell me, who has, about his role on the team? I don't care about what he did with the Magic, I'm telling you on the Raptors, so far, he's mostly taken a back seat to Bosh and Bargnani. Turkoglu is a 15-17 point scorer and doesn't attempt a significant number of shots. If by chance he breaks out against the Spurs, Haislip theoretically may be able to match-up with him (the Spurs claimed he could spend time at the three guarding long three's).

No, it's about who could theoretically get into the game at hand. Hairston has no place playing against the Raptors, despite your and the majority of this board's obsession with him. Mahinmi would likely have less of a chance than Haislip in guarding Bosh or Bargnani.

duncan228
11-08-2009, 11:03 PM
McDonald projects Hill to start the Raptors game.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3818072#post3818072

TD 21
11-08-2009, 11:33 PM
You guys get your wish. Hairston will in fact be active...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Monday_Raptors_3-3_at_Spurs_2-3.html

This is an inexplicable, if not surprising move.

Mel_13
11-09-2009, 12:07 AM

:lol

It only seemed inexplicable to you.

TD 21
11-09-2009, 12:10 AM
:lol

It only seemed inexplicable to you.

Well then it must have been wrong. Because if something isn't the consensus opinion of those people who have high post counts, then it's automatically uninformed and incorrect.

This is no commentary of Hairston's game. I, like many, like virtually everything I've seen from the guy. But to me, for this specific game, at least, it was worth a shot to give Haislip some run.

Blackjack
11-09-2009, 12:15 AM
I obviously have no problem with Malik getting the nod but, given the opponent, Haislip would make more sense given their personnel and the way Bogans just played.

I have a hard time believeing Malik will get any playing time and if you're going to pay Haislip on the hope he can help you with the long 3's and face-up 4's, why wouldn't you let him prove you right or wrong?

Mel_13
11-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Well then it must have been wrong. Because if something isn't the consensus opinion of those people who have high post counts, then it's automatically uninformed and incorrect.

This is no commentary of Hairston's game. I, like many, like virtually everything I've seen from the guy. But to me, for this specific game, at least, it was worth a shot to give Haislip some run.

Post count? That may be important to some, but not to me.

If giving Haislip some run is the objective, wouldn't it be much more sensible to simply have him replace Ratliff on the active roster? You've made a case that Malik probably won't see many minutes. Well if you dress Haislip in Parker's place, you have 6 bigs. Honestly, who could possibly be more superfluous than a 6th big?

Blackjack
11-09-2009, 12:31 AM

If giving Haislip some run is the objective, wouldn't it be much more sensible to simply have him replace Ratliff on the active roster? You've made a case that Malik probably won't see many minutes. Well if you dress Haislip in Parker's place, you have 6 bigs. Honestly, who could possibly be more superfluous than a 6th big?

True, but when you've got a group of bigs that all have their own unique skill set, and your coach is admittedly coaching by the seat of his pants.. it might not be all that crazy to have another skill set on the bench to utilize depending how the game plays out; It makes sense for a game against a team with a bunch of perimeter-oriented bigs, even if not a regular basis.

Mel_13
11-09-2009, 12:34 AM
True, but when you've got a group of bigs that all have their own unique skill set, and your coach is admittedly coaching by the seat of his pants.. it might not be all that crazy to have another skill set on the bench to utilize depending how the game plays out; It makes sense for a game against a team with a bunch of perimeter-oriented bigs, even if not a regular basis.

OK, can't say I agree, but I do see your point.

Blackjack
11-09-2009, 01:46 AM
I'm not sure I agree with my point either.:lol

I mean, there's not really any duplication in the skill sets of their bigs, but I was just trying to make sense of his signing..

I guess he can be this year's James White, playing the role of the opposing team's star on the scout team?

Mel_13
11-09-2009, 01:55 AM
I'm not sure I agree with my point either.:lol

I mean, there's not really any duplication in the skill sets of their bigs, but I was just trying to make sense of his signing..

I guess he can be this year's James White, playing the role of the opposing team's star on the scout team?

I saw him more in the Sean Marks role; practice big.

They placed a longshot bet that he could be of use against mobile 4s. Probably won't pay off, but you never know. Maybe he's channeling Bruce Bowen and staying at the practice facility until midnight doing defensive drills.

draft87
11-09-2009, 02:12 AM

I'm seriously asking-because I kinda chuckled reading this- are you trying to be sarcastic and contemptuous of the head-cases who post a lot of crap but don't watch the games? Your descriptions of each player is great. If you weren't trying to be funny, oops.

Blackjack
11-09-2009, 02:16 AM
See, Marks was a decent big to throw at Timmy and had more of a prototypical body. He makes sense as a practice big.

Haislip, on the other hand, isn't going to bring much but his athleticism. He's not going to really keep anyone sharp offensively with his defense and his offense wouldn't do much but make you stay cognizant of the three; it's not like he's going to work someone over in the post.

That's why I suggested the scout team.

If James White can play the role of LeBron, I guess there's no reason Haislip couldn't play a Dirk or Amar'e' for their defensive preparation.

You're right, it was a longshot they took on him. But, if it's me, and I gave him that contract, I'd at least want to throw him out there against one of those long 3's or mobile 4's, preferably early on, just to see if there's any chance that my bet might pay off.

That's just me, though..

Bukefal
11-09-2009, 03:47 AM
McDonald projects Hill to start the Raptors game.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3818072#post3818072

Hill better be good and work his ass off. We're fucked without TP.

mountainballer
11-09-2009, 04:51 AM
look at the Raptors roster and rotation before trying to figure out what player to activate makes more sense.
on the guard positions they play Calderon-Jack-Wright-DeRozan, with Hedo also playing a lot of ball handling.
(there isn't a clear back-up for Hedo, who also doesn't play a pure SF)
assuming that most of the time RJ will match up with Hedo and Hill with Calderon, you have 3 match ups with good if not great athletes, all with average size, all play more of a physical style than a fines style. what Spurs player could you put at either of them? ok, that's why Hairston of course makes more sense than Haislip would.
and about the front court: we don't have the personal to stay with either Bosh or Bargnani. so why even think about it. jesus, it's a home game. think about the strengths and what THEY can't counter. that's (as mentioned by another poster) rebounding and a physical inside game. do we really think about sending out a 3rd string big to keep Bargnani from shooting a tree or two while we could build an inside presence with Tim, Blair and Dice they could never ever hold ground.
let's just shove them aside!

BWS-1994
11-09-2009, 07:28 AM

I was hoping that Pop would give Bogans more games as a starter...

benefactor
11-09-2009, 07:32 AM
lol...once he is wrong he resorts to post count smack.

Mountainballer makes a good point. From an athletic standpoint our bigs our not going to be able to stay with Bargs/Bosh anyway. We are better off using the bigs we have that are physical and can rebound...as controlling the boards could help us cancel out whatever liabilities we might encounter on the defensive end.

silverblackfan
11-09-2009, 08:32 AM
I keep forgetting that the Raps have Rasho off the bench. That is nice option to have. He is a solid 7 footer.

yavozerb
11-09-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm seriously asking-because I kinda chuckled reading this- are you trying to be sarcastic and contemptuous of the head-cases who post a lot of crap but don't watch the games? Your descriptions of each player is great. If you weren't trying to be funny, oops.

Thanks, and yes I was trying to add a little humour to my thread..It can get a little to serious around here sometimes and I can only take so many Bonner hate topics..:flag:

Blackjack
11-09-2009, 02:28 PM
look at the Raptors roster and rotation before trying to figure out what player to activate makes more sense.
on the guard positions they play Calderon-Jack-Wright-DeRozan, with Hedo also playing a lot of ball handling.
(there isn't a clear back-up for Hedo, who also doesn't play a pure SF)
assuming that most of the time RJ will match up with Hedo and Hill with Calderon, you have 3 match ups with good if not great athletes, all with average size, all play more of a physical style than a fines style. what Spurs player could you put at either of them? ok, that's why Hairston of course makes more sense than Haislip would.
and about the front court: we don't have the personal to stay with either Bosh or Bargnani. so why even think about it. jesus, it's a home game. think about the strengths and what THEY can't counter. that's (as mentioned by another poster) rebounding and a physical inside game. do we really think about sending out a 3rd string big to keep Bargnani from shooting a tree or two while we could build an inside presence with Tim, Blair and Dice they could never ever hold ground.
let's just shove them aside!

Like I said before, I've got no problem with Hairston getting the nod and, hopefully, he manages to stick there. But the difference is a short-term versus long-term outlook.

Bargnani and Hedo are pretty much the type of players the Spurs hoped they could put Haislip on. I haven't seen much of anything to indicate Haislip should have ever been brought in for his defensive capabilities, but the Spurs did. And they're paying him pretty decent for someone who's believed to be essentially a longshot/flyer acquisition.

I haven't seen or heard much from DeRozan to know just how well he's performing, but the only two players they have that are natural matchups for Hairston would be he and Wright. Plus, given Bogans last outing, Pop's Fin love, RJ's minutes, and Mason's role.. it's just hard to envision Pop playing Hairston against Toronto unless it's a complete blowout; I hope to see him play, even if it's only in a blowout in the Spurs' favor, but I'm just not real optimistic given what we've seen thus far.

So that's why I could see the logic in playing Hailslip. Neither is likely to see playing time but when you've got five bigs on the roster after Tim and 'Dyess that all have their own style of play and considerable warts, there's a chance that someone like Haislip could get a shot. If Bargnani or Hedo are having their way, Haislip's unique size and athleticism would be tempting; I mean, physically and athletically, there's no match for Haislip on the roster. It's much more likely that Hedo or Bargnani would become the headache and not Wright or DeRozan, as well.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I just don't see Pop throwing Hairston out against point-guards or playing him in front of Bogans, Fin or Mason. And if that's the case, give Haislip the chance to prove one way or the other if he can give you a return on your investment; not a huge investment, but one nonetheless.

You pretty much know what Hairston brings and how he could affect you both short and long-term. You cant really say the same for Haislip.

They could've payed a lot less for a scout team player..

Mel_13
11-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Like I said before, I've got no problem with Hairston getting the nod and, hopefully, he manages to stick there. But the difference is a short-term versus long-term outlook.

Bargnani and Hedo are pretty much the type of players the Spurs hoped they could put Haislip on. I haven't seen much of anything to indicate Haislip should have ever been brought in for his defensive capabilities, but the Spurs did. And they're paying him pretty decent for someone who's believed to be essentially a longshot/flyer acquisition.

I haven't seen or heard much from DeRozan to know just how well he's performing, but the only two players they have that are natural matchups for Hairston would be he and Wright. Plus, given Bogans last outing, Pop's Fin love, RJ's minutes, and Mason's role.. it's just hard to envision Pop playing Hairston against Toronto unless it's a complete blowout; I hope to see him play, even if it's only in a blowout in the Spurs' favor, but I'm just not real optimistic given what we've seen thus far.

So that's why I could see the logic in playing Hailslip. Neither is likely to see playing time but when you've got five bigs on the roster after Tim and 'Dyess that all have their own style of play and considerable warts, there's a chance that someone like Haislip could get a shot. If Bargnani or Hedo are having their way, Haislip's unique size and athleticism would be tempting; I mean, physically and athletically, there's no match for Haislip on the roster. It's much more likely that Hedo or Bargnani would become the headache and not Wright or DeRozan, as well.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I just don't see Pop throwing Hairston out against point-guards or playing him in front of Bogans, Fin or Mason. And if that's the case, give Haislip the chance to prove one way or the other if he can give you a return on your investment; not a huge investment, but one nonetheless.

You pretty much know what Hairston brings and how he could affect you both short and long-term. You cant really say the same for Haislip.

They could've payed a lot less for a scout team player..

Now take a deep cleansing breath....

Blackjack
11-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Now take a deep cleansing breath....

ffffffffffffffffffuh

Awwwwwwwwwweee. :hat

lefty
11-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Pop will play Finley as a backup PG

Automatic fadeaway jump shots !!!!

Mel_13
11-09-2009, 04:06 PM
48 MOH on this subject:

Setting aside the question of Hill’s anticipated performance, the more interesting curiosity going into tonight’s contest against the Raptors is whom Parker will replace on the inactive list. The Spurs have an opportunity to experiment with their rotation tonight, and I’m curious if they’ll approach this game in that way.

Assuming Hill plays 30-35 minutes, Mason Jr. and Ginobili should see time at point guard. Does Pop give Bogans another opportunity to earn his way into the rotation, extend the minutes of his regulars (Finley, Ginobili and Mason Jr.) or try Malik Hairston?If Popovich doesn’t activate Hairston, could Haislip or Mahinmi get into the game?

The Spurs’ early struggles have left the door open for someone on their deep bench to break into the rotation. It’s simply a matter of seizing opportunities as they arise.

We know for sure that George Hill has an opportunity to make a statement, but will someone else?

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/11/09/the-silver-lining-on-parkers-ankle/#more-5208

wildbill2u
11-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Even if they bring Hairston onto the roster, that is no guarantee he'll get minutes over Bogans or whoever is the old veteran of the day in our lineup.

bigdog
11-09-2009, 05:46 PM
I think it would be Hairston, although I'm more worried about who will be guarding Bosh and Bargnani.

TD 21
11-09-2009, 07:06 PM

It's important to many around here, trust me.

Generally I'd agree with your line of thinking, but as in most cases, the Spurs are unique. Three of their bigs are veterans whom they're trying to limit their minutes (in Ratliff's case, to the point where he generally doesn't get off the bench), one is essentially a perimeter player and the other is amongst, if not the shortest big in the league. It really is a unique front court that is predicated on many variables that go beyond just playing the top 3 guys the majority of the minutes. For this particular game, Haislip makes sense.

lol...once he is wrong he resorts to post count smack.

Mountainballer makes a good point. From an athletic standpoint our bigs our not going to be able to stay with Bargs/Bosh anyway. We are better off using the bigs we have that are physical and can rebound...as controlling the boards could help us cancel out whatever liabilities we might encounter on the defensive end.

So now not only do you determine credibility, but you also determine who's/what's right/wrong. That is precisely what people like you do. You look at the post count and/or see that it's not someone you're familiar with or buddy-buddy with and you automatically dismiss or give no credence to anything they have to say.

My point makes sense whether you agree with it or not. Just remember what I said after the game tonight when Bosh and Bargnani destroy the Spurs. Would Haislip be able to prevent this from happening? No, but he might be able to help some, as opposed to Bonner and even McDyess, who have no chance to guard these two off the dribble. Haislip was presumably signed (and given a guaranteed contract) to fulfill this role. Might as well find out early if he can help in this regard, otherwise what was the point in signing him?

benefactor
11-09-2009, 08:06 PM
So now not only do you determine credibility, but you also determine who's/what's right/wrong. That is precisely what people like you do. You look at the post count and/or see that it's not someone you're familiar with or buddy-buddy with and you automatically dismiss or give no credence to anything they have to say.

Do I? And you know this how? Please supply some evidence where I have berated someone in this way instead of resorting to baseless stereotypes. Oh...and just to let the air out of your silly little theory.....

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=9928

This is lurker23. He has less than 1000 posts on this forum but he has been here since 2007. He doesn't post a lot, but when he does his takes are usually solid. He even managed to receive a Spur because of his informative reports from the Rocky Mountain Review summer before last. This substance of his posts outweighs the post count.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=38

This is SequSpur. He has over 19,000 posts and he is one of the original members of this forum. However, he has been pinked repeatedly and mosts of his posts are more comic relief than substance. I rarely read or reply to his topics unless I am bored or want to make fun of him...as does everyone else on this board.

My point makes sense whether you agree with it or not. Just remember what I said after the game tonight when Bosh and Bargnani destroy the Spurs. Would Haislip be able to prevent this from happening? No, but he might be able to help some, as opposed to Bonner and even McDyess, who have no chance to guard these two off the dribble. Haislip was presumably signed (and given a guaranteed contract) to fulfill this role. Might as well find out early if he can help in this regard, otherwise what was the point in signing him?
Bonner will help more than Haislip. I know this for a fact because I watched Haislip during the preseason. I watched his man blow right past him. I watched him repeatedly go for up fakes that led to fouls. I watched him do nothing on the boards and shoot 38%. I watched his horrible ball handling. And you know what? Pop watched this too...which is why Hairston was activated and Haislip was not.

But hey...you might get your wish after all. Duncan is out and one of the other bigs will probably be activated. If it were me that big would be Mahimni.

benefactor
11-09-2009, 08:32 PM
...and you get your wish. You don't have to cry in the corner now.

TD 21
11-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Are you that stupid? You told me (to paraphrase) "you're losing credibility by the minute", as if you're the judge of who has credibility.

You don't know that for a fact. Preseason isn't the same as the regular season. Haislip deserves some minutes tonight and if he can't adequately guard Bosh, then fine, but to not even give him the chance? I know you didn't sign him, but again I ask, why was he signed then (guaranteed, no less)?

No. Like you, Pop is obsessed with playing as small a lineup as possible and would rather resort to playing Ratliff less than 5 minutes, despite the desperate need for rim protection, Bonner with four smalls, Jefferson almost exclusively at power forward, not dressing Mahinmi, not playing Haislip ... these are such great ideas that the soft Raptors are shooting 65% and absolutely owning the Spurs down low.

benefactor
11-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Are you that stupid? You told me (to paraphrase) "you're losing credibility by the minute", as if you're the judge of who has credibility.

You don't know that for a fact. Preseason isn't the same as the regular season. Haislip deserves some minutes tonight and if he can't adequately guard Bosh, then fine, but to not even give him the chance? I know you didn't sign him, but again I ask, why was he signed then (guaranteed, no less)?

No. Like you, Pop is obsessed with playing as small a lineup as possible and would rather resort to playing Ratliff less than 5 minutes, despite the desperate need for rim protection, Bonner with four smalls, Jefferson almost exclusively at power forward, not dressing Mahinmi, not playing Haislip ... these are such great ideas that the soft Raptors are shooting 65% and absolutely owning the Spurs down low.
I said you were losing credibility in the discussion...and that is true anytime you infer that Finley should get more minutes. And how does me saying that equal "your post count is small and mine is big so you know nothing"? Lord, you are really reaching.

He was signed for potential...and now that signing is looking questionable. The preseason is the proving ground for players that are trying to make the team or make their case for minutes. Haislip did not come close to making anything. He didn't rebound, shoot well, dribble well, defend well....nothing. He was horrible in almost every area. How else can I put it to make you understand this?

We are NOT going match up with Toronto's bigs defensively...period...whether Bonner plays or Haislip plays. But you know what we did do? We were physical with them and wound up outrebounding them 42-29. Our bigs played to their strengths and it canceled out any defensive liability that we had to deal with. BTW, props to mountainballer on the nice call on that.

TD 21
11-09-2009, 11:41 PM
I said "you and I both know those minutes will go to Finley and Bogans before they go to Hairston". I never suggest I wanted to see that. Understand the difference? Sure enough, I was right.

Potential? He's going on 29. I agree, but you also can't write someone off just because they looked sub par in the preseason. He deserves a chance in the regular season.

At least Haislip has a better chance of doing so, particularly against Bosh. That is presumably what he was brought in to do. Everything seems fine and dandy because the Spurs won, but their were MAJOR issues in the post, particularly in the first half.

benefactor
11-09-2009, 11:47 PM
As I said...those issues were nullified by superior toughness and rebounding. Our stars took care of the rest. When Duncan comes back and everything clicks that is all we will need.