PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Raptors Previews

duncan228
11-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Toronto (3-3) at San Antonio (2-3) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009110924&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:30 pm EST Mon Nov 9, 2009
TV: RAPT, FSSW
By Brett Huston

The San Antonio Spurs had one of the league’s best road records last season, but they’re off to a woeful start away from AT&T Center and will be without Tony Parker for the next week.

Perhaps a lengthy stretch back home will get coach Gregg Popovich’s team back on track.

The Spurs look to avoid their first three-game losing streak since the beginning of last season Monday night when they open a stretch of 10 of 12 at home against the Toronto Raptors.

San Antonio (2-3) lost three in a row to open the 2008-09 season - two at home - but their current struggles have come on the road. The Spurs, who were 26-15 on the road last season, have won their two home games by an average of 18.0 points, but are 0-3 away from home.

They were in trouble from the outset in consecutive losses at Utah and Portland last week, falling behind by 10 after one quarter in a 113-99 loss to the Jazz on Thursday, then trailing by 15 after 12 minutes in a 96-84 defeat to the Trail Blazers one night later.

“We committed too many mistakes from the get-go,” said guard Manu Ginobili, who’s averaging 13.8 points but shooting just 39.2 percent. “It’s too bad. It shouldn’t be happening. We’ve really got to step out and try to play 48 minutes.”

San Antonio outscored Portland the final three quarters, but also played most of the final 36 minutes without Parker. The three-time All-Star sprained his left ankle in the second - the same ankle he hurt nearly a year ago to the day - and expects to miss about a week.

Parker said this sprain isn’t as severe as the one that caused him to miss three weeks last season, but the Spurs will certainly miss him considering he averaged 23.0 points and 7.0 assists in two games against the Raptors (3-3) in 2008-09.

Each team won on its home floor, with Toronto overcoming 32 points from Ginobili and injuries to Chris Bosh and Jose Calderon to win 91-89 on Feb. 11.

Bosh is among the league’s top five scorers through six games, averaging 28.5 points, and he’s also among the NBA’s rebounding leaders with 11.8 per contest.

The Raptors, however, have given up 108.2 points per game, and had one of their worst defensive efforts in years their last time out. Toronto allowed Dallas to shoot 62.4 percent Saturday - the best field-goal percentage by an opponent against the Raptors in more than six years - in a 129-101 loss.

“I’m disappointed in the way that we played, but they had more energy, they had more movement, they had better confidence shooting the basketball and that’s why you get a result like this,” coach Jay Triano said.

Toronto has made 40.0 percent of its shots from beyond the arc thus far, with Andrea Bargnani emerging as a consistent 3-point threat. The former No. 1 overall pick seems to have made some big strides in his game, shooting 52.4 percent overall and 51.6 percent from 3-point range - both significant improvements over last season.

He’s also averaging 20.7 points, a 5.3-point increase.

For the Raptors to have a chance, though, they’ll need Bosh to play better than he typically has against Tim Duncan. The four-time All-Star has averaged 13.0 points on 35.1 percent shooting in his last four games versus Duncan, while the Spurs’ big man has averaged 20.3 points on 60.0 percent shooting with three blocks.

Team Stat Leaders

Tony Parker SA 14.8

Rebounds
Chris Bosh Tor 11.8
Tim Duncan SA 11.8

Assists
Jose Calderon Tor 6.0
Tony Parker SA 4.0

Injuries

Toronto

M. Banks Flu
R. Evans Foot

San Antonio

No injuries reported.

duncan228
11-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Toronto Raptors Getting Inside 2009-11-08 (http://www.raptorsclub.com/news/toronto-raptors-getting-inside-2009-11-08.php)

The Raptors go into San Antonio on Monday night, and the game will unquestionably evoke comparisons between Chris Bosh and Tim Duncan.

Now, no one is suggesting Bosh is nearly as accomplished as the man many consider the best power forward to ever play the game, but the similarities in their styles do bring about some discussion.

And the way Bosh is playing this year, being measured against a sure-fire Hall of Famer isn't a bad thing.

Bosh is having an extraordinary start to the 2009-10 season, and getting a shot at Duncan will show precisely where he is. His Toronto teammate, Jarrett Jack, says Bosh is right at the top of the heap.

"We haven't seen anybody who can really challenge him down on the low block, and I hope he keeps that mentality," said Jack.

Bosh is picking the best time to play his best basketball. As one of the more highly coveted free agents who will hit the market next summer, the more he raises awareness of his play around the league, the more he'll find teams clamoring to pay him untold millions as a free agent.

Bosh is seen in some circles as a second-tier free agent in a class that might include LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Dirk Nowitzki and Amare Stoudemire, but his play so far can only raise his profile.

Now, let's see how he does against Duncan.

RAPS CATCH BREAK (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2009/11/08/11675101-sun.html)

San Antonio is never an easy place to get a win, but the Raptors' effort to get another road victory got decidedly easier when Tony Parker rolled over on his left ankle Friday and will be out at least a week. In two games against the Raptors last season, Parker averaged 23 points. The Raps play the Spurs tomorrow.

Dice
11-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Bosh was the guy I really wanted to see Detroit do a trade for last season. I've heard over and over that he's not a franchise player, but besides guys like Kobe, Wade, and Lebron, who is these days? I thought he'd be a key piece to build around for the future. now I don' think they have a chance of signing him.

It'll be interesting to see who the team throws at him Monday night. I feel like the Spurs are better or are at least as talented at all the other positions. But an athletic defender like Bosh can give Tim trouble.

Anyone think there will be any other changes in the lineup because of Hill having to start for Parker?

alchemist
11-08-2009, 03:05 PM
I expect a blow out, even without Parker. The Spurs have been a beast at home.

Indazone
11-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Bosh vs Duncan should be interesting to watch

boutons_deux
11-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Spurs trying to hang on to 8th seed.

TOR trying to move up to 8th seed.

Battle of the Titans! :)

AussieFanKurt
11-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Wonder how this will play out. Andrea and Bosh been playing well together

HarlemHeat37
11-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Bosh doesn't scare me..

Bargnani does though..we don't have anybody that can stay with him on the perimeter, since he's a lot stronger than Bonner if Pop decided to leave him on him..otherwise, none of our bigs will be able to handle him..

This is a good 1st start for Hill, Calderon can be easily exploited on both ends..

DPG21920
11-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Bargnani has been on fire and if Okur's athleticism gave the Spurs trouble, Bargnani's should be even worse. Hopefully they try and play him physically. I think the Spurs should be able to control the rebounding battle, however, I thought they should every game.

Will be interesting to see.

SamoanTD
11-08-2009, 06:35 PM
what about hedo?

Flux451
11-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Too bad Evans is out. Evans and Blair would have been fun to watch. I expect Hairston to play, but have a slight feeling Haislip will get the spot to counter Barhnini.

TDMVPDPOY
11-08-2009, 09:21 PM
expecting another loss here...

Danny.Zhu
11-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I like the international players on Raptors. They do have a lot of talents.

But unfortunately they don't heart.

iilluzioN
11-08-2009, 10:04 PM
i dont think the spurs will win....... heck we cant even beat the jazz and bulls, and portland

Spursfan092120
11-08-2009, 10:07 PM
i dont think the spurs will win....... heck we cant even beat the jazz and bulls, and portland
all teams that are better than Toronto..and we're gelling better. If Tony doesn't get hurt in that game, we beat Portland.

duncan228
11-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Monday: Raptors (3-3) at Spurs (2-3) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Monday_Raptors_3-3_at_Spurs_2-3.html)

Time: 7:30 p.m.
TV: FSNSW
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTERS - SPURS - RAPTORS

PG - 3 George Hill (6-2, 2nd yr) - 8 Jose Calderon (6-3, 5th yr)
Nearly year to day after making first NBA start, Hill replaces Parker again

SG - 4 Michael Finley (6-7, 15th yr) - 10 DeMar DeRozan (6-7, 1st yr)
Finley’s starting streak ended in Portland, as Popovich opted for defense

SF - 24 Richard Jefferson (6-7, 9th yr) - 26 Hedo Turkoglu (6-10, 9th yr)
Former Spur Turkoglu cashed in after breakout seasons in Orlando

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 13th yr) - 4 Chris Bosh (6-10, 7th yr)
Bosh’s last five scoring nights: 37, 35, 25, 27 and 26 points

C - 15 Matt Bonner (6-10, 6th yr) - 7 Andrea Bargnani (7-0, 4th yr)
Shooting 2 for 10 in two games no way for Bonner to stay on floor

SPURS RESERVES

8 Roger Mason Jr., G, 6-5, 6th yr
20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 8th yr
1 Malik Hairston, G, 6-6, 2nd yr
34 A. McDyess, C/F, 6-10, 15th yr
45 DeJuan Blair, F, 6-7, 1st yr
10 Keith Bogans, G/F, 6-5, 7th yr
42 Theo Ratliff, F/C, 6-10, 15th yr

RAPTORS RESERVES

3 Marcus Banks, G, 6-2, 7th yr
0 Marco Belinelli, G, 6-5, 3rd yr
1 Jarrett Jack, G, 6-3, 5th yr
15 Amir Johnson, F, 6-9, 5th yr
12 Rasho Nesterovic, C, 7-0, 10th yr
13 Patrick O’Bryant, C, 7-0, 4th yr
21 Antoine Wright, G/F, 6-7, 5th yr

COACHES
Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Raptors: Jay Triano

INJURIES

Spurs: Tony Parker (left ankle sprain) is doubtful.
Raptors: Reggie Evans (left midfoot sprain) and Sonny Weems (sore left foot) are day-to-day.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Ian Mahinmi, Marcus Haislip, Parker
Raptors: Evans, Weems, Quincy Douby

NOTABLE

Spurs open stretch in which they play seven of the next eight, and eight of next 10, at home. They are 2-0 in the AT&T Center this season, winning by an average of 18 points. ... On the road, Spurs are 0-3 by average margin of 11.6 points. ... Raptors have scored at least 100 points in each of their six games to start the season, a team record.

- Jeff McDonald

AussieFanKurt
11-08-2009, 11:44 PM
C - 15 Matt Bonner (6-10, 6th yr) - 7 Andrea Bargnani (7-0, 4th yr)
Shooting 2 for 10 in two games no way for Bonner to stay on floor

we'll get fucked in this matchup
bonner will stay no matter what he shoots

duncan228
11-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Raptors’ Bosh off to MVP-like start (http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Raptors+Bosh+like+start/2199955/story.html)
By Eric Koreen, National Post

TORONTO — It took less than a month last season for Chris Bosh to declare his individual aspirations.

Averaging 27.5 points and 10.5 rebounds after 14 games, the Toronto Raptors forward started talking about those three letters: MVP.

“I came into this season saying I’m going to give it a shot,” Bosh said at the time. “I think I can get it and we need more wins, of course, but when I think of MVPs in the past, I think of consistency and . . . every they night they put it out there on the floor and, when need be, they put their teams on their backs.”

Even less time has elapsed from this season compared with when Bosh spoke out last year, and you can be sure there will be no MVP talk from the forward, who has said he will not be discussing individual goals this season. But based on his first six games, he looks very much like a player hell-bent on carrying his team.

Although the Raptors have merely split their first half-dozen games, Bosh has been more than half-good. His averages of 28.5 points and 11.8 rebounds far outpace his career numbers, with his 3.5 offensive rebounds per game representing one of the larger leaps in his play, along with his unsustainable average of 14.5 trips to the free-throw line per game.

As well, his player efficiency rating — a statistic compiled by ESPN analyst John Hollinger — has him ranked second in the league, behind only New Orleans point guard Chris Paul, whose team lost to the Raptors on Friday night. (Of course, plenty of skepticism should be reserved for any statistic that has little-used Raptors big man Rasho Nesterovic ranked 17th in the league, in between all-stars Brandon Roy of Portland and Deron Williams of Utah.)

So, how is Bosh putting up such gaudy numbers so far? It is a three-pronged answer:

• Favourable opponents

Toronto has played Cleveland, Memphis, Orlando, Detroit, Charlotte and Dallas. Those teams do not exactly boast Kevin Garnett, or anybody approaching his man-on-man defensive ability.

At various times during this opening stretch, Bosh has been able to exploit the likes of Zach Randolph, Ryan Anderson, David West and Dirk Nowitzki, all of whom are sub-par post defenders.

In San Antonio on Monday night, Bosh should see plenty of Tim Duncan. Against Chicago on Wednesday, Joakim Noah, the type of agile big man who often gives Bosh trouble, will be his main competition. The next two games should be Bosh’s toughest tests yet.

• Better talent around him

The Raptors went into Sunday’s play averaging 107 points per game, good for fourth in the league. Their 40 per cent three-point success rate was eighth.

Due to his supporting cast, Bosh has more room to operate. And the Raptors have figured how to space out their two versatile big men better. Andrea Bargnani is both shooting the ball more reliably and venturing to the post more often, allowing Bosh to start his offence from varying places on the court. And the more routes of attack Bosh can use, the more dangerous he is.

• Added muscle

Bosh’s reputation as a jumpshot-oriented “soft” big man has always been unfair. He has gone to the line at least eight times per game in each of the last four seasons. His 617 free-throw attempts last year were more than every big man not named Dwight Howard.

But with 25 extra pounds to work with, he is spending his time on the court differently. As mentioned above, he is getting more offensive rebounds than ever, a product of hanging out more often in the paint. He is also attacking more and taking fewer jumpers.

So far, it has all added up to a memorable start. Of course, the same thing was said last year, too.

Spursmania
11-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Hairston is playing.:smokin

Blackjack
11-09-2009, 12:07 AM
But an athletic defender like Bosh can give Tim trouble.

For the Raptors to have a chance, though, they’ll need Bosh to play better than he typically has against Tim Duncan. The four-time All-Star has averaged 13.0 points on 35.1 percent shooting in his last four games versus Duncan, while the Spurs’ big man has averaged 20.3 points on 60.0 percent shooting with three blocks.

Numbers can be deceiving, but these ain't.

Tim has done basically whatever the hell he's wanted to with Bosh.

Bargnani definitely poses problems if he's on his game, and their overall shooting can really make a defense scramble.

It's hard to judge the Spurs given their Jekyll and Hyde personality at home and on the road so far offensively, but their defense better be solid if they're hoping to get a win.

Please tell me Roko Ukic isn't on the Raptors; I'm not sure if I could stomach the Spurs turning him into a HOF-er again. :lol

anonoftheinternets
11-09-2009, 12:08 AM
after brandon roy brushed off jefferson, cant wait to see if jefferson has better luck against hedo .... he needs to improve his D .. and i hope its somthing to do with learning the system, and not intrinsic sucking.

ploto
11-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Bargnani: The most interesting thing about Andrea is that he seems to have learned how to play against the different match-ups. This season, if they put a smaller guy on him, he now knows to post him up. If it's a slower big guy, he will drive around him. His rebounding has been much better, as well.

Hedo: They are still learning how best to use him, especially to let him handle the ball more.

Bosh: He put on about 25 pounds of muscle this off-season. If you have not seen him yet, you might be a little surprised.

anonoftheinternets
11-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Bargnani: The most interesting thing about Andrea is that he seems to have learned how to play against the different match-ups. This season, if they put a smaller guy on him, he now knows to post him up. If it's a slower big guy, he will drive around him. His rebounding has been much better, as well.

Hedo: They are still learning how best to use him, especially to let him handle the ball more.

Bosh: He put on about 25 pounds of muscle this off-season. If you have not seen him yet, you might be a little surprised.

guess u changed to raptors since hedo went there. But yea, why is hedo not being given the ball more? I mean i was watching the raps, and they are really not utilizing him properly.

TDMVPDPOY
11-09-2009, 01:48 AM
i hope ghill3 shits on calderon

mingus
11-09-2009, 02:09 AM
if i turn on the game and i see both Bonner and Finley starting, my head might explode. God, get Pop's head out of his ass.

Chieflion
11-09-2009, 03:31 AM
It is a new and improved Bosh who gained 20 pounds without losing a step. Bargnani is kicking ass. Turklogu runs that offense and turns it elite. Calderon is useless with Turk around. Spurs better be ready to play good defense.

anonoftheinternets
11-09-2009, 03:38 AM
if i turn on the game and i see both Bonner and Finley starting, my head might explode. God, get Pop's head out of his ass.

calm down dumbass, pop himself said he shud be fired if he does not win this year... jus wait and watch ... let him pull his shit in the regular season... lets check back for the PO, if u cant stomach it, dont watch.

Riverwalkman
11-09-2009, 03:59 AM
lol Parker's 14.7 ppg leads the team.

Maybe in this game Pop will still play some small ball, RJ is going to match up with Bargnani, hopefully that works. Chris Bosh will test Duncan defensively and offensively.

Rappin' Pop
11-09-2009, 04:38 AM
I am going with small ball. Finley at the 4 is something you will see. Maybe even at the 5. I am still experimenting, hope you guys won't mind.

timtonymanu
11-09-2009, 05:41 AM
I dont think this game is as easy as people keep saying it's gonna be. Raptors are different this year and Parker is out. But it's a home game. Hopefully Hill owns.

benefactor
11-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Even if Finley does start, I think Bogans did enough in the last game to warrant more minutes. Hopefully Hairston can play well enough to help keep Finley on the bench too.

mystargtr34
11-09-2009, 08:28 AM

I have seen him.. and they were saying 25 pounds aswell... but no way is that much :lol...

Id say its closer to 10 pounds... which is still alot if it is pure muscle. If he were to put on 25 pounds of muscle, his knees, joints wouldnt be able to handle it, and he wouldnt be able to move as quickly. He just hasnt got the body to handle that much extra weight - but it shoudnt be a problem for him.

I get the point though, hes made an effort to get stronger.

mystargtr34
11-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Bosh will probably get 30+... no matchup for him... at all.

Spursmania
11-09-2009, 08:43 AM
It's hard to judge the Spurs given their Jekyll and Hyde personality at home and on the road so far offensively, but their defense better be solid if they're hoping to get a win.

Yes. There split personality is what needs to be remedied. Hopefully, they are just in a steep learning curve because their lack of defense makes me want :pctoss

Now if 20 more games go by and they are still miserable in Defense and erratic as hell on offense, that's a whole other story...

angel_luv
11-09-2009, 10:59 AM
I am going to the game. I am so excited!!!!!!!

I am going to say hi to Sho, meet Hedo ( finally!!!!!!), and root for the Raptors. It is going to be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :elephant :elephant

benefactor
11-09-2009, 11:03 AM

I am going to say hi to Sho, meet Hedo ( finally!!!!!!), and root for the Raptors. It is going to be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :elephant :elephant
:nope

angel_luv
11-09-2009, 11:06 AM
:nope

Yes, yes, yes!

I only get to see the Raptors in person once a year.

It will be me and them against thousands and I bet we win! :cheer

shelshor
11-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Referee Assignments
Mon. Nov 9
Toronto @ San Antonio: Eddie F. Rush; Tony Brothers; Phil Robinson

Höfner
11-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Hopefully we don't lose; Friday night's loss caused approximately 629.4 suicides.

ElNono
11-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Referee Assignments
Mon. Nov 9

That's it, we lose. We shouldn't even bother to show up.

Ok, I'm just kidding... :lol

Spurs Brazil
11-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Referee Assignments
Mon. Nov 9

:bang:bang:bang

Chomag
11-09-2009, 11:47 AM
That's it, we lose. We shouldn't even bother to show up.

Ok, I'm just kidding... :lol

No your not. :lol

lefty
11-09-2009, 11:57 AM
I expect a blow out, even without Parker. The Spurs have been a beast at home.

I'm not so sure.

Parker is not playing, and Calderon is 100% healthy and he's been playing great lately.

Duncan is not moving well, so I expect Bosh to have a very good game.

lefty
11-09-2009, 11:57 AM

They are injured, they have been sent home to Toronto.

Sorry :(

Whisky Dog
11-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Give Hairston/Haislip/Ian some burn for god sakes need to have some size and athleticism

portnoy1
11-09-2009, 12:29 PM

I am a spurs fan ( a real one that cares about finley and bonner starting) but i like Calderon and Bargnani. Im gonna get their 1hr early to see if i can get a few autographs. Preferably the two mentioned above. I am not going to root for the raptors, but i do hope Calderon and Bargnani play well.

angel_luv
11-09-2009, 12:37 PM
They are injured, they have been sent home to Toronto.

Sorry :(

That is not funny. Don't even joke like that!

Take it back!

angel_luv
11-09-2009, 12:39 PM
I am a spurs fan ( a real one that cares about finley and bonner starting) but i like Calderon and Bargnani. Im gonna get their 1hr early to see if i can get a few autographs. Preferably the two mentioned above. I am not going to root for the raptors, but i do hope Calderon and Bargnani play well.

Cool! I'll be there too. See you then. :)

portnoy1
11-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I cant wait to see Bargnani light up Bonner and Finley ( when the spurs go small) and then get outrebounded by 6-7 dejuan blair. We might see ian mahinmi tho cause of bargs versatility. Scary thing is that is, as of now Tim wants no part of Big Bad Bargs. he can shoot and put it on the floor. I also think he is a little quicker than Dirk. Thats not saying much but it means it will be tougher to guard him.

thispego
11-09-2009, 12:45 PM

we? rofl
boston fan

lefty
11-09-2009, 12:57 PM
That is not funny. Don't even joke like that!

Take it back!
:lol Sorry

Blackjack
11-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Bosh will probably get 30+... no matchup for him... at all.

Why, because he added a supposed 20+lbs of muscle?

The guy's problem wasn't his weight against Tim, and to a lesser extent KG, his problem was a mental one. He looked like little brother trying to not piss big brother, to avoid the inevitable beating; it's part of the makeup that leads me to believe he'll never be that number-one to lead a team to a championship.

He'll have to find his own Paul Pierce and really step up his defensive game if he hopes to go the KG championship route; he'll never be able to do what Tim did in his prime..

Maybe tonight's his breakout night against Tim, but there's been nothing, thus far, to prove that he's the matchup nightmare you assume.

angel_luv
11-09-2009, 01:22 PM
:lol Sorry

All's forgiven.

It is my fault that for a split second I believed you. :oops

I have been hoping to meet Hedo ever since he was a Spur- so since 2004. And it is always awesome to see Sho.
This is going to be a great night! :)

benefactor
11-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Yes, yes, yes!

I only get to see the Raptors in person once a year.

It will be me and them against thousands and I bet we win! :cheer
And have the Spurs lose three straight? Please leave your fan card at the door.

lefty
11-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Parker is not playing, and Calderon is 100% healthy and he's been playing great lately.

Duncan is not moving well, so I expect Bosh to have a very good game.

angel_luv
11-09-2009, 01:39 PM
And have the Spurs lose three straight? Please leave your fan card at the door.

:lol I am pretty sure someone already consfiscated it.

duncan228
11-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Raptors, Spurs look to rebound (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/story/2009/11/09/sp-tor-sa.html)
'Disappointed' in Dallas
No team in the NBA has played more high-scoring games so far this season than the Toronto Raptors, but that could change on Monday against the stingy San Antonio Spurs.

The Raptors (3-3) end a three-game road trip in San Antonio and will look to finish 2-1 after their worst outing of the season on Saturday, when the Dallas Mavericks converted on 62 per cent of their shots to drub Toronto 129-101.

Chris Bosh led the way offensively with 26 points and 12 rebounds for Toronto, coming off a big win the previous night against New Orleans. Andrea Bargnani added 22, with Jose Calderon contributing 13 points with seven assists.

"I'm disappointed in the way that we played, but [Dallas] had more energy, they had more movement, they had better confidence shooting the basketball, and that's why you get a result like this," coach Jay Triano said.

While Calderon played well against the Mavericks and Jarrett Jack has been solid, backcourt depth remains a concern.

After an initial burst, rookie DeMar DeRozan has looked very much like a player who recently turned 20. DeRozan had just two points against Dallas and was in foul trouble. Meanwhile, veteran swingman Antoine Wright has been off with his shot the last two games, connecting on just three of 15 attempts.

Through six games, the Raptors have averaged 107 points scored and 108 allowed, putting them near the top in the NBA in both categories.

While the Spurs (2-3) have been struggling, they're allowing 98 points per game, putting them in the top half of the league in that category.

As well, Bosh has traditionally had his hands full with one of the best in the game, San Antonio big man Tim Duncan.

The Spurs dropped their second in a row on Friday, a 96-84 result in Portland. Richard Jefferson scored 19 points, with Duncan adding 16 to go along with eight rebounds.

The Spurs return to the friendly confines of AT&T Center, where they have won both outings this season by an average of 18 points.

Like the Raptors and many other NBA teams, putting together a consistent game has been a challenge in the early going.

"We committed too many mistakes from the get-go," said guard Manu Ginobili, who had 17 points and six assists. "It's too bad. It shouldn't be happening. We've really got to step out and try to play 48 minutes."

The Spurs will likely be without Tony Parker. The three-time all-star sprained his left ankle against the Blazers and expects to miss about a week.

The clubs split two games last season, with the home side winning each time.

Toronto will continue a tough stretch of the schedule this week. The Raptors return home for a game against Chicago on Wednesday, but then depart for a four-game trip that will take them to the western U.S.

angel_luv
11-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the articles, D228! :)

duncan228
11-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Raptors say it's time to step up intensity (http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/nba/raptors/article/722978--raptors-say-it-s-time-to-step-up-intensity)
'You've just got to bring it,' guard Jarrett Jack says after team struggles with on-again, off-again effort
By Doug Smith

SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS–The start of the NBA season was always going to be about learning for the newly-constructed Raptors.

Some lessons are harder to take than others.

Like figuring out how to get intensity from everyone every night.

The most disturbing aspect of the drubbing they suffered in Dallas on Saturday night was a lack of intensity at key moments in the game.

While they finished the first half and started the second exceptionally in New Orleans on Friday, they were bad in Dallas the next night, seeing a two-point deficit grow to seven in the final six minutes of the second quarter and being out-scored 22-10 in the first seven minutes of the third quarter.

"I think everybody could have put out more effort," said guard Jarrett Jack. "It was our first back-to-back ball game (and) that could have been part of it. But everybody in the league goes through it, you can't use that as an excuse.

"You've just got to bring it."

Trouble would seem to be lurking here Monday night if the Raptors don't find a way to stay consistently in the game.

The Spurs, losers of two straight and in the unusual position of having a losing record, are sure to be riled up.

And even without the injured Tony Parker and with changes to the starting lineup every now and then, they remain deep and talented.

"A lot of teams are going through growing pains right now, whether they've been together forever or whether they're putting some new pieces together," San Antonio's Tim Duncan told the San Antonio Express-News. "It's all about getting through those early-season jitters and trying to figure out what exactly your team is made of and how you're going to play."

The same can be said for the Raptors, who have been alternately good and bad through the first six games. They were good against Cleveland, bad in Memphis, okay against Detroit, far better in New Orleans and awful in Dallas on Saturday night. The bench, so integral to the team's success, was terrible against the Mavs, being outscored 58-30 by Dallas's backups and hitting just 10 of 28 field goal attempts.

But it's not as if no one saw this coming. With nine new faces, two starters and every one of the key backups, to be integrated into the system, a hesitant start was not unexpected.

With a 3-3 record after six games – including tough matchups with Cleveland, Orlando and at Dallas – there is no sense of panic or impending doom around the team.

"We just have to work at the things we want to do, focus on ourselves and get better," said coach Jay Triano.

GAME DAY
RAPTORS (3-3) VS. SPURS (2-3)

PROBABLE STARTERS

Toronto: Jose Calderon, DeMar DeRozan, Hedo Turkoglu, Chris Bosh, Andrea Bargnani.

San Antonio: George Hill, Keith Bogans, Richard Jefferson, Tim Duncan, Matt Bonner.

KEY MATCHUP

Bargnani vs. Bonner

Sure, Bosh-Duncan has a higher profile but the emerging Bargnani – four games of 20 or more points already – against the old Toronto fan favourite will have a lot to do with the outcome. If Bargnani gets going early, it could be a long night for Bonner.

NOTES

* Spurs started Bogans over Michael Finley on Friday night and may stick with him. But with Tony Parker (ankle) out for at least a week, San Antonio may want Finley's offence to overcome the loss.

* Spurs are just 2-3 and come in having dropped back-to-back road games.

* Raptors will need to get better production off their bench than they did on Saturday in Dallas as they have to deal with sub extraordaire Manu Ginobili.

lefty
11-09-2009, 02:36 PM
I like DeRozen

duncan228
11-09-2009, 03:02 PM
San Antonio Spurs get win at home vs. Toronto Raptors (http://www.sbrforum.com/Free+Picks/NBA/12613/san-antonio-spurs-get-win-home-vs-toronto-raptors.aspx)
By: Al McMordie

The Spurs come off the road to enjoy the next week on their home court in San Antonio, starting Monday night when they host the Toronto Raptors.

Our Monday night NBA selection is on the San Antonio Spurs minus the points at home in the AT&T Center over the Toronto Raptors.

The Spurs have gotten off to a miserable start, which has not been altogether surprising to me since I forecasted San Antonio to win less than its projected season win total of 54.5 games. That is not to say that I believe San Antonio won't be a force at season's end – I definitely think it can win the title – but just that I believed there would be growing pains at the beginning of the year.

One trend to note thus far: The Spurs are 2-0 at home, yet 0-3 on the road. That's one reason why I think they'll rebound tonight with a win and cover.

Another is that I really like the player that second year pro George Hill has become. He was lights-out in the Las Vegas Summer League, and coach Gregg Popovich has proclaimed Hill to be his "favorite player."

Tonight will be the Spurs' first game without Tony Parker, who suffered an injury early in the loss at Portland. So, Hill will step into the starting point guard role. And, even though Hill is going to be solid on the court for San Antone, there will be line value since most will just focus on the absence of Parker.

Additionally, the Spurs are real deep this season and have more than enough firepower on the bench to make up for Parker's offense (e.g., Manu Ginobili, Roger Mason). But a silver lining might be that it opens the door for more playing time given to the defensive-minded Keith Bogans. And, after Parker's injury, the lineup on Friday that included Bogans, Hill and Richard Jefferson was especially effective, so I expect Popovich to employ that combination at some point tonight.

Finally, the Spurs come into tonight's contest with two days of rest and have been a big money-maker in that situation over the last 6+ seasons (86-56 ATS). Take San Antonio.

Free Pick: Spurs -6½ (-110)

Spurs and Raptors light it up at San Antonio's AT&T Center (http://www.sbrforum.com/Free+Picks/NBA/12614/spurs-raptors-light-up-san-antonio-s-at-t-center.aspx)
By: Bob Harvey

Even with Tony Parker out of the lineup, San Antonio's offense should still put points on the board Monday night when the Spurs entertain the Toronto Raptors.

In the up and down world of NBA betting what works one night, doesn’t necessarily work the next. However, wagering on the San Antonio Spurs at home has been a formula that, for me, has been profitable.

Tonight though, the Spurs will be without the injured Tony Parker and it’s got me rethinking a play on the Texas team and focusing more on the total.

Parker rolled his ankle Friday night in a loss to Portland and his 14.8 points and four assists per game will be sidelined for at least a week. The Spurs will take extra precaution with Parker who sprained the same ankle at the start of last season and missed three weeks.

Toronto has improved noticeably on the offensive end. They rank fourth in the NBA in points per game at 107 and 8th in three-point shooting. Chris Bosh has had an amazing starting averaging 28.5 points and 12 rebounds per game. Former #1 pick Andrea Bargnani has also broken out of the game with 21 points and seven boards per contest and free agent acquisition Hedo Turkoglu is posting nearly 15 ppg.

But while they’ve been “tickling the twine” with regularity, they’ve also been giving it back and then some at the defensive end.Toronto ranks near the bottom in practically every defensive category. The Raptors are allowing 108 points per game with the opposition averaging 48% shooting from the field and nearly 45% from downtown.

San Antonio has four players that average double-figures in scoring. Besides Parker, Tim Duncan is netting nearly 15 points and 12 rebounds per contest. Manu Ginobli is at 13 per outing and Richard Jefferson is contributing 12 ppg.

The balanced scoring is a trademark of a Greg Popovich coached time and so is a deep bench. Rookie DeJuan Blair has been better than advertised averaging 7 and 7. Michael Finley and Antonio McDyess are also giving the Spurs quality minutes as well.

Toronto is 4-1 to the 'over' in its last five while San Antonio is 3-2 to the high side. With Turkoglu, Bargnani and Bosh down low and Jose Calderon on the outside without Duncan to hound him, the Raptors figure to continue their early season scoring pace.

A key matchup to watch will be Bosh vs. Duncan. The San Antonio big man has gotten the better of his Toronto counterpart in the past. Duncan has outscored Bosh on average 20-13 in their head-to-head showdowns with Duncan shooting 60%.

I don’t expect much in the way of defense tonight especially in the case of Toronto. I’m going to take the OVER and maybe take a look at a side play on the Raptors as well.

Free Pick: Raptors-Spurs Over 202½