PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity deaths give life to eternal debate

duncan228
11-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Celebrity deaths give life to eternal debate (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/jackson-work-michael-2639672-died-nothing)
We list 20 celebrity deaths that may have deprived us.
Barry Koltnow
Orange County Register

There is a temptation while watching the documentary "This is It" to wonder what might have been if Michael Jackson hadn't died before the start of his 50-concert extravaganza in London.

Many critics have raved about how the pop singer looked and performed in the rehearsal footage, igniting an international round of speculation concerning Jackson's tragically wasted future. The fawners have hypothesized that the singer's best work was ahead of him.

I disagree.

Jackson might have produced some worthy music in coming years, but on my personal scale of "Celebrities whose early deaths are most tragic because of the missed opportunities and unfulfilled promise," Michael Jackson barely makes it into my top 20.

In my opinion, his best recording years were behind him, which makes his death at 50 a true tragedy for him, his family and his millions of fans, but not something that gets me to ponder the question: "What if?"

I am a huge Elvis Presley fan, but I am not foolish enough to suggest that he would have produced significant new work had he not died so young.

Like Michael Jackson, Elvis would have thrilled live audiences in the future, but I seriously question whether any album either of them put out would compare favorably with their earlier work.

Here is my list of the most tragic celebrity deaths, based solely on what they might have accomplished had they lived longer.

Just for the record, I am limiting this list to performers, not all celebrities, so don't look for Princess Diana or John F. Kennedy Jr.

And this has nothing to do with posthumous earning power. Frankly, I don't care that Jackson's estate, AEG Live and Sony Pictures are raking in a fortune this week with the success of the documentary and concert CD. This exercise has nothing to do with money, but only with unrealized talent.

1. James Dean

Based on the three films he completed before his untimely death in his beloved Porsche, we can assume that we were deprived of watching future acting performances that might have rivaled those of Marlon Brando.

2. Bruce Lee/Brandon Lee

Both father and son died just as their acting careers were taking off, and there is every reason to believe that both careers would have reached greater heights.

3. Otis Redding

I have always believed that he would have become one of the greatest and most prolific singers of all time. Keep in mind that he died in a plane crash before the classic "(Sittin' On) The Dock on the Bay" was released.

4. Heath Ledger

He left behind his best performance in the Batman movie so most people agree that a brilliant acting career was cut short.

5. Jimi Hendrix

Rock historians have speculated that Hendrix would have gravitated toward jazz in later years. Would his work have been any less spectacular?

6. Buddy Holly

One of the pioneers of rock 'n' roll, so there is no limit to what we missed.

7. Selena

This young singer had not scratched the surface of her potential. An entire generation of music lovers was deprived.

8. Kurt Cobain

His best work might have been behind him, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

9. Tupac Shukar

Even in death, his influence grows.

10. John Candy

Some believe that we saw the best of his work, but I've always felt that he was destined to be a giant in comedy (and I don't mean that as a fat joke).

11. Marilyn Monroe

It's debatable whether she had significant work ahead of her, but if she had gotten herself to a better place, perhaps her acting would have blossomed.

12. Aaliyah

I confess that I wasn't that familiar with her work before her death, but it is apparent now that she had a bright future.

13. John Belushi

He was too funny to die so soon.

14. Jim Morrison

OK, let's assume that if he stopped the excesses, he might have made beautiful music again.

15. River Phoenix

This young actor had the gift, even as a child actor. One can only imagine what we missed.

16. Bob Marley

Innovators like Marley don't stop innovating because they get old.

17. Ronnie Van Zant

What if there was another "Free Bird" in his head?

18. John Lennon

Although I was not thrilled with a lot of his post-Beatles work, I am willing to accept the possibility that his genius might have brought us work that was worthy of his talent.

19. Steve Irwin

I'm not sure we would have seen anything new from him, but he was such a positive presence on television that he was missed immediately.

20. Michael Jackson

I'm still not convinced.

Slideshow: See 20 performers who died with possibly their best work ahead of them.

http://www.ocregister.com/photos/jackson-work-michael-2639672-died-nothing

ZombieMichaelJackson
11-08-2009, 03:54 PM
I call BS!!! My best was yet to....Heeee! Heeeee!!...come! Shamore!!!

Abraham Quintanilla
11-08-2009, 03:56 PM
I hate threads like this!! Let them rest in peace!!!

Zombie Shelly Winters
11-08-2009, 04:01 PM
That list sucks major ass.

pkbpkb81
11-08-2009, 04:01 PM
thank of all the 10 year old dick he didn't get to touch

Zombie Freddy Fender
11-08-2009, 04:03 PM
That list sucks major ass.

+1 All those wasted days and wasted nights meant nada!?

AussieFanKurt
11-08-2009, 04:18 PM
New zombiemichael would pop up

Heath Ledger
11-08-2009, 04:54 PM
I plead the 5th.

AussieFanKurt
11-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Heath should be up there after Dark Knight role

Slydragon
11-08-2009, 11:01 PM
WHAT!!!! No Riiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhheeeeeee !!!!

No Richie Vallins = FAIL

Also I would put Freddie Mercury ahead of MJ.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-09-2009, 12:11 AM
only one worth mentioning is the great John Belushi. belushi was something else. who knows how big he'd gotten if he'd actually made ghostbusters. :depressed