PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Seasoned Hill finds familiar opening

duncan228
11-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Seasoned Hill finds familiar opening (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Seasoned_Hill_finds_familiar_opening.html)
Jeff McDonald

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has never claimed to be clairvoyant. When it comes to the career of second-year guard George Hill, however, he thinks he can read the tea leaves.

Hill's future, Popovich believes, is not to be found on an NBA bench.

“I think he has the ability to be a starter, without a doubt,” Popovich said. “The next couple years will tell whether he understands the game enough, and has the leadership qualities to lead a team on the court. I have a feeling he can do that, but we'll give him time and see how he does.”

For one game, at least, the Spurs are hoping to press fast-forward on Hill's progress.

All-Star Tony Parker has been all but ruled out of tonight's game against Toronto with a sprained left ankle. That means for the second November in a row, Hill is the Spurs' starting point guard.

A year ago almost to the day, Parker went down with a similar injury, and Hill was thrust into the starting lineup six games into his NBA career. That's where the déjà vu ends.

With a year of service on his résumé, the 6-foot-3 Hill is better equipped to run a team than he was at this time a season ago.

“Last year, it was almost the same thing,” Hill said. “Tony went down, and I had an opportunity. It's a job. You have to go out and fulfill your job. That's what I'm hopefully going to do.”

Parker's latest injury, suffered in Friday night's loss at Portland, is less severe than the one that caused him to miss three weeks last November. There remains a chance he could return as early as Wednesday against Dallas.

Still, the loss of their leading scorer comes at a critical time for the Spurs, who are 2-3 after back-to-back losses at Utah and Portland. The Spurs get eight of the next 10 games at home, a favorable stretch of scheduling they cannot afford to squander.

Enter Hill, whose primary job will be to keep the ship on course for as long as Parker is sidelined. He is averaging nine points per game and, save for a 1-for-8 clunker at Utah, has proven to be a steady option off the bench.

“We believe in George,” forward Richard Jefferson said. “Everyone understands he's a very capable point guard. You're going to miss Tony and the things he brings to the game. But when you look down that bench, you have to feel pretty confident this team can sustain its competitiveness just missing one or two guys.”

For Hill, last November's turn as a starter is a blur. At the time, he was barely off the boat from Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI).

“That was a long time ago,” he said. “I was younger then.”

In his first start in place of Parker, Hill scored 12 points in a win over New York. He would start five more games before shifting back to the bench and finished out Parker's hiatus with three consecutive 20-point games.

Hill says he is more comfortable filling Parker's shoes now than last year.

“I'm a little more experienced and more disciplined than I was last year,” Hill said.

Popovich has noticed. He spent most of the preseason praising Hill as “my favorite player.”

“His confidence has really skyrocketed,” Popovich said. “He feels more at home. He's not worried about making a team. He knows he's already part of the family.”

Popovich has been impressed by Hill's learning curve, from one November to the next.

“If he continues to improve and understand what's going on at this rate, he's not just going to be a guy who is in the league,” Popovich said, “but a guy who is a factor in the league.”

With Parker out, and a stretch of winnable games upcoming, the Spurs could use Hill to be a factor, starting tonight.

SenorSpur
11-09-2009, 04:20 AM
Is Pop intimating that Hill could be a starter on the Spurs or some other team? Very interesting comments from Pop.

Spurs Brazil
11-09-2009, 08:07 AM
I hope he attacks Calderon all the time tonight and also play full court D on him.

Ice009
11-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Can't wait to see if GHill helps to set a better defensive tone tonight. No Bonner or Finley in the starting lineup tonight please or at the very least only one of them.

Spursmania
11-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Can't wait to see if GHill helps to set a better defensive tone tonight. No Bonner or Finley in the starting lineup tonight please or at the very least only one of them.

Both Fin and Bon Bon are starting.:(

Ice009
11-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Both Fin and Bon Bon are starting.:(

Who said they are starting???????????

TDMVPDPOY
11-09-2009, 08:33 AM
GHILL will walk all over that defense the raptors dont have

Spursmania
11-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Who said they are starting???????????

Look in the Spurs v. Toronto Previews thread

silverblackfan
11-09-2009, 08:41 AM
I am hoping that Bogans gets the start over Finley, even if the previews don't show that.

Spursmania
11-09-2009, 08:45 AM
I am hoping that Bogans gets the start over Finley, even if the previews don't show that.

Honestly, anybody but Finley or Bonner starting would make me happy. It's hard to imagine the playoffs starting with Bonner and Finley?:rolleyes

Ice009
11-10-2009, 12:10 AM
How about some props for George Hill? A little passive in the 4th quarter, but otherwise great game. When he is aggressive he is a player I want on the team.

Like I said a couple of days ago I am all for bringing Tony Parker back slowly from injury and starting George for a few games more even after TP is back.

HarlemHeat37
11-10-2009, 12:31 AM
So much potential..he's such a completely different player when he's aggressive, it's day and night as much as any player I've ever seen..

DPG21920
11-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Very true. When he is aggressive, he is a damn good player all around. He looks very silky and athletic at times and his shot has come around (or back).

He certainly has things to work on (especially those times where he takes forever to get the team into their offensive sets) but so far, so good.

I think Hill and RJ (and pretty much every player) need to be decisive. Make a decision and make it the right one. Just don't get caught "in between".

rayray2k8
11-10-2009, 12:41 AM
I honestly believe that if it wasnt for Hill, the spurs would have been in trouble.

Thompson
11-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Is Pop intimating that Hill could be a starter on the Spurs or some other team? Very interesting comments from Pop.

Either way, it's good to hear. Either Hill can play some time at the 2 until Tony eventually goes to the bench (many years from now), and Hill can take over the starting point guard spot, or we'll have a potential starting-caliber point guard as trade bait.

Ice009
11-10-2009, 01:16 AM
I honestly believe that if it wasnt for Hill, the spurs would have been in trouble.

Hill kept us in it early on until Manu took over the 4th.

Blackjack
11-10-2009, 03:12 AM
He's a stud, plain and simple.

Other than two bad passes and a corner three that he was a little too amped for, you couldn't have asked for any more. He goes for 22 on over 50% shooting, picks up 5assists and his team only commits 6 turnovers; not to mention some very solid defense.

The development in his shoulders has been pretty noticeable and the dexterity and coordination he has in that frame is getting better and better; a night like tonight where he utilized the Nash/Parker one-handed layup to prevent bringing the defender back in the play is something he couldn't have done a year ago.

Once he really grows into that body on the basketball court, that wingspan will become much more of an asset by which to get an advantage on defenders and not the hindrance it can be, at times, allowing defenders back in the play with how long it takes for him to uncoil.

As long as he can stay healthy, (knock on wood) there's absolutely no reason a player with his tools, ability, work-ethic, want-to and toughness is going to fail. It's just not going to happen..

I honestly believe, as far as how they're viewed as factors, that Hill, in the not so distant future, will be given the same type of respect afforded to the likes of Ellis and Barbosa; maybe not All-Stars, but stars that wouldn't shock you if they did happen to sneak up and make the team one year.

mountainballer
11-10-2009, 07:07 AM
the question about the perfect role for Hill with this team will become more and more relevant, the more he develops.
Tony is currently the Spurs best player and will be for some more years. (let's assume he gets an extension till 2015).
Hill could soon be the 2nd best guard on the Spurs (not this year, as Manu showed last night, but maybe next season?) and he is young, so you want to play him 33-35 minutes and not be just Tony's back up in the first place.
then the question is: will the Spurs back court of the future be Tony+Hill? if yes, what other wing player would it take to balance for the lack of size and sub par 3pt shooting. or is the Spurs future small ball anyhow?

TDMVPDPOY
11-10-2009, 07:42 AM
the question about the perfect role for Hill with this team will become more and more relevant, the more he develops.
Tony is currently the Spurs best player and will be for some more years. (let's assume he gets an extension till 2015).
Hill could soon be the 2nd best guard on the Spurs (not this year, as Manu showed last night, but maybe next season?) and he is young, so you want to play him 33-35 minutes and not be just Tony's back up in the first place.
then the question is: will the Spurs back court of the future be Tony+Hill? if yes, what other wing player would it take to balance for the lack of size and sub par 3pt shooting. or is the Spurs future small ball anyhow?

gh3 is too good to be a backup to a scrub

gh3 is too good to accept a low ball offer from the spurs if he gets lowballed

SpurNation
11-10-2009, 07:57 AM
For now I'm just happy the team actually has a bonefide b/u PG.

Hill's performance in his first start as a PG this year...:tu

lurker23
11-10-2009, 07:57 AM

Some very good questions. I think there's a distinct possibility that Tony+Hill is the starting back court of the future, with the Spurs bringing in another player to be Tony's backup. I don't think the size is a major issue, as Hill's wingspan allows him to guard most 2-guards, though it could become a problem if Hill is assigned to the opponent's PG (e.g.- Chris Paul), and Tony has to guard the opposing SG.

As far as the SF to match with these two, I agree with what you implied: it should be a long 3 who can hit the three-pointer (though I wouldn't give up quite yet on Parker or Hill developing a respectable three-point shot). I think the answer is probably sitting right in front of our face: Richard Jefferson. Remember that he's only 2 years older than Parker. The major question will be what kind of contract he demands in 2011, and whether his Spurs experience will convince him to sign an extension of the long-term/hometown discount variety. (Also, we'll have to see if his near 40% on 3-pointers last year was a fluke or sign of things to come.)

Blackjack
11-11-2009, 02:19 PM

It's hard to project exactly what his role will be down the line, because his ceiling is quite high and he plays your best player's position.

As of right now, I think you've got to hope he can form the type of battery the Kings had with Bibby and Jackson; which would be a pretty good comparison for Hill and it would also make him the successor to Ginobili.

There's also always the possibility that Hill's value will continue to rise and that some quality offers could start to come in. Even if the Spurs love Hill and would never want to get rid of him, you've got to wonder if maybe a mutually beneficial trade might come about that fills each teams respective need better.

Then you've got to consider the possibility that Parker doesn't want to stick around for a rebuilding process. And it that's the case, Hill could become Tony's successor. Hopefully if that were to happen, Tony's departure would come in the form of a trade that nets the Spurs a couple of building blocks to play alongside Hill for the future; Tony leaving via free-agency would be a serious blow to the franchise unless the Spurs could defy the odds and manage to bring in a legitimate franchise player to fill Tony's cap space. (Wait a minute, I don't know what I was thinking.. This is the Spurs. They'll just have a miserable year and luck into an all-time great with the number-one pick the following year. :smokin)

xtremesteven33
11-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Sounds like Pop wouldnt mind Hill starting permanently...:stirpot:

Interrohater
11-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Yea, with comments like those, I can imagine Hill as our starting SG and filling in for backup PG at the same time. When Parker sits, he can slide over and we bring in Mason. Then, out goes Hill for a breather and it's Parker and Mason. Either way, starting and finishing both of them together is an intriguing concept.