PDA

View Full Version : International Prospect: Romain Sato

biziofromdowntown
11-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Take a look @ this player? he's very good during last season oversea, and he was a Spurs draft pick

http://web.legabasket.it/player/?id=SAT-ROM-81

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=LMO

He's in his prime now.

mogrovejo
01-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Sato is an excellent player. Maybe the best perimeter defender in Europe right now. Solid shooter as well and a very good finisher on the open court. He'd be an upgrade over Bogans for the Spurs. No chance of acquiring him till the off-season though.

objective
01-11-2010, 07:03 PM
too bad he's still only 6'2".

benefactor
01-11-2010, 08:39 PM
too bad he's still only 6'2".
Sato is another example of height not being everything. There are players that are taller than him that don't have his length. Nick Young, who plays for the Wizards is somewhere between 6'6 - 6'7...and he and Sato have a similar wingspan and Sato has a better standing reach.

In an interview with DX last month, Sato and his agent sounded pretty adamant about him having minutes if he comes to play in the NBA. He will need to change his entitled attitude if he plans to play for the Spurs, as minutes are not just going to be given to him...he will have to earn them and not get an attitude in the process.

With all the economic woes, no team is just going to give him a contract. He will need accept a summer league invite and play well to convince a team to sign him. He seems like the type of player that the Spurs would go after with his good shooting and and solid perimeter defense. With this being the last year of his contract I would be surprised if the Spurs didn't at least contact him to gauge interest.

objective
01-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Height's not everything . . . that's what people said about him when he was drafted. I haven't seen him overseas, so I don't know how his game has progressed. But when drafted he didn't have the tools to be in the NBA no matter how long his arms were or how smart a defender he was. Hill has made it because he was a scorer in college and had ball skills to translate to back-up point or at least the SG spot. Sato didn't (or at least not at an NBA level at the time).

benefactor
01-11-2010, 09:43 PM
...which is why they should at least send him an SL invite. He is 28 and is likely as good as he is going to get. I'd like to hear from others that may have watched him play. Anyone?

benefactor
05-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Bump. He was mentioned on another thread so I thought I'd pick the brains of those that have watched him this year. Is he worth another shot? Mason replacement maybe?

mountainballer
05-18-2010, 05:07 AM
watched the games vs. Real in the Euroleague top 16 and some summaries of Euroleague games. Sato looked very good indeed. still a bit out of control when handling the ball and not always in right position, but always good effort on defense and offense and his shot meanwhile looks very good. (also the one from the corner).
about his size. during the game I never thought this guy is 6'3''. not just because of his octopus arms. he just doesn't look small. if you tell me, hey this guy is just something like 1.90m, I would answer no, can't be. he is 1.95m. and I would bet on it. (ok, playing alongside McIntire and Hawkins can distort the perspective a bit).
however, in the NBA he would be slightly undersized for the SG spot and totally undersized for the SF spot. on the other hand, we are currently discussing Raja Bell. also not exactly oversized for a wing defender. Sato's role wouldn't be much different.
after the Euroleague out in March there were reports that Siena likely won't re sign McIntire, Sato and Domercant, so they are clearly in cost cutting mode.
no idea about the asking price, I would assume that Sato get's much better offers than a minimum contract in Europe, but I also doubt he get's much more than LLE kind money. this is likely his last chance for a NBA contract, if he really wants to play there, he has to come over right now. he would bite if offered LLE IMO.

benefactor
05-18-2010, 05:47 AM
Thanks, mountainballer.

Here's a recent video of him. I agree with you that he looks bigger than the measurements indicate.

ujUt5a7q6Bk

I also agree with you that at 28 years old, this is probably his last shot at the NBA if he wants to come over. He jumper looks good and if he is as good as advertised defensively then he might be a nice LLE option if there are not worthwhile veteran guards to pick from among the other free agents.

Darkwaters
05-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Blast from the past. Sato would be in interesting pickup indeed! I'd be curious to see what he can do now - so I can't really comment on whether I'm for or against. But it defintitely sounds like a Spurs kind of move.

admiralsnackbar
05-18-2010, 08:00 AM
@Benefactor -- Do 29 year-old players get assigned to SL? Honest question, mostly because I can't think of a vet player who's played summer league in recent memory off the top of my head.

My opinion is that we seem to already be dealing with known quantities when we're talking vets (making SL seem somewhat redundant and potentially disrespectful), but I'd be interested to hear why you think otherwise.

biziofromdowntown
05-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Sato won MVP in italian league. And he's going off from his contract to a free agent summer...

TJastal
05-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Pop would play this guy 5 minutes, he'd fuck up somehow and then never see court time for the rest of the year, same as what happened to Haislip.

LOL @ spending LLE money on a guy who would play 5 minutes.

benefactor
05-18-2010, 09:27 AM
@Benefactor -- Do 29 year-old players get assigned to SL? Honest question, mostly because I can't think of a vet player who's played summer league in recent memory off the top of my head.

My opinion is that we seem to already be dealing with known quantities when we're talking vets (making SL seem somewhat redundant and potentially disrespectful), but I'd be interested to hear why you think otherwise.
It is usually reserved for young players, but I'm pretty sure anyone can play(Devin Green played last year at 26 yrs old, which is an age that most NBA players are pretty well established). I don't see anything wrong or disrespectful about the Spurs wanting him to play if they wanted him to get his feet wet on American soil again. But they didn't make Haislip play, so perhaps they wouldn't.

TimDunkem
05-18-2010, 10:23 AM
This guy has always peaked my interest, and I've always wondered how he'd fare in the NBA. If anything, I think he'd a decent fit with the Spurs. I really hope he comes over. Either here, or with another team.

benefactor
05-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Pop would play this guy 5 minutes, he'd fuck up somehow and then never see court time for the rest of the year, same as what happened to Haislip.

LOL @ spending LLE money on a guy who would play 5 minutes.
The Spurs could do worse. They could spend 3.8 million on a guy that can't dribble or play defense...then suddenly forgets how to shoot. Oh wait...

It's hard to compare him to Haislip because it is two different situations. Haislip came to the Spurs already sitting no higher than 5th in the big rotation behind Duncan, Dice, Blair and Bonner. He was going to have to really shine to earn even limited minutes. Sato would come into a situation where the only other real backup guard behind Parker and Manu is Hill.

Sato is probably worth the LLE(lol "LLE money". It was less than 2 million last year and will be less than that this year), but I'm not sure the Spurs would give it to him purely based on the events that transpired with Haislip last year. This year is in all likelyhood the last year of the championship window so that makes me skeptical that the Spurs will spend guaranteed cash(plus tax) on a player that hasn't played meaningful minutes in the NBA. Well...unless that player is Tiago Splitter, of course. :)

admiralsnackbar
05-18-2010, 12:30 PM
I think his defense alone makes him hard to ignore. I can see him being what we needed from Bogans defensively (at least as far as sprightly D, goes... not so much against bigs, obviously), and offensively from RMJ.

EricB
05-18-2010, 12:50 PM
:lol @tjastal the fail bemoaning the loss of Marcus haislip :lmao

Darkwaters
05-18-2010, 01:09 PM

Amare Stoudemire played the summer league the year after his microfracture surgery.

I believe Ron Artest played it the year after his suspension.

Vet players playing the summer league is not common, but not unheard of.

mogrovejo
05-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Clearly NBA material. Not even sure how can be argued otherwise. This guy plays well above his size. Tony Allen with a jump-shot.

I don't see him playing in the SL (but yeah, there are plenty of veterans who play there), I think a team wanting to sign him needs to send guaranteed money his way, but the entire LLE would be above his asking price.

Cane
05-18-2010, 05:24 PM
From what you guys are saying it does sound like he's ready for the NBA.

However I wonder if the Spurs feel like they're undersized enough as is with Hill and Blair.

Spurs need a perimeter player that can defend the 2/3 and you need size/height for that. Length is good but that won't stop guys like Dudley from grabbing offensive boards if you can't put some weight on him.

Hopefully he gets an opportunity to prove himself but I agree with a poster earlier that demanding minutes is definitely not the Spurs way. Don't need another Finley or Mason Jr. situation.

DPG21920
05-18-2010, 05:26 PM
He is not quite as athletic seemingly as a Tony Allen, but from his highlights, he reminds me of a less athletic Jason Richardson.

Bruno
05-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Sato could be a very solid NBA role player but I've a hard time seeing him playing some SF. Even if he has long arms, he is only 6'3". He will be strictly a SG. So if Spurs sign Sato, they will be very small in the perimeter with Manu playing a lot of minutes at SF. I rather see Spurs going after a player who can play SF instead of signing a SG and playing Manu out of position.

admiralsnackbar
05-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Sato could be a very solid NBA role player but I've a hard time seeing him playing some SF. Even if he has long arms, he is only 6'3". He will be strictly a SG. So if Spurs sign Sato, they will be very small in the perimeter with Manu playing a lot of minutes at SF. I rather see Spurs going after a player who can play SF instead of signing a SG and playing Manu out of position.

I'm the furthest thing from a cap-ologist, but couldn't we use the LLE to sign him (to fill Mason's shoes as a potential starting SG, with Manu returning to the bench as the closer 2)? That still leaves us with the 20 to either draft or swap (as Mountainballer stated elsewhere) for a long 3, and the MLE for Splitter and another spare part (Bonner? DeColo?).

yavozerb
05-18-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm the furthest thing from a cap-ologist, but couldn't we use the LLE to sign him (to fill Mason's shoes as a potential starting SG, with Manu returning to the bench as the closer 2)? That still leaves us with the 20 to either draft or swap (as Mountainballer stated elsewhere) for a long 3, and the MLE for Splitter and another spare part (Bonner? DeColo?).

Our starting sg next season will be hill...I dont see the spurs going after starters (except splitter) this offseason.
TP-Hill-RJ-TD-Splitter will be our starting 5 I think next season.

admiralsnackbar
05-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Our starting sg next season will be hill.

Is this from the horse's mouth? I've heard it from enough people on the board to assume it must be, but it surprises me to think the FO has enough confidence in Temple to bump him up to 2nd string PG position so quickly -- well within the realm of the imagination based on his late-season play, but surprising nonetheless.

benefactor
05-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Our starting sg next season will be hill...I dont see the spurs going after starters (except splitter) this offseason.
Starting jobs have never really mattered much to the Spurs. It's not about them going after a starter as much as it is going after a rotation player.

The Spurs need another SG. There is really no debating that. I actually like the idea of Sato starting and Hill and Manu running the second unit. Sato is bigger and stronger than Hill and should have an easier time bigger 2 guards that Hill might struggle with.

The other positive thing I see when looking at Sato's stats is that he has always been a good 3pt shooter. It's not something he has had to add to his game or develop over time. Since going to Europe in 2006, he has shot 40% from distance over four seasons. There is no reason to believe it will just disappear when he comes to the NBA.

DesignatedT
05-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Is this from the horse's mouth? I've heard it from enough people on the board to assume it must be, but it surprises me to think the FO has enough confidence in Temple to bump him up to 2nd string PG position so quickly -- well within the realm of the imagination based on his late-season play, but surprising nonetheless.

I expect the spurs to bring in another PG. a veteran guard who can help run the point behind Tony. It's obvious Hill cant handle that duty for heavy minutes. Unless they really start to trust Temple, I don't see him being the guy.

Blackjack
05-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks, mountainballer.

Here's a recent video of him. I agree with you that he looks bigger than the measurements indicate.

ujUt5a7q6Bk

I also agree with you that at 28 years old, this is probably his last shot at the NBA if he wants to come over. He jumper looks good and if he is as good as advertised defensively then he might be a nice LLE option if there are not worthwhile veteran guards to pick from among the other free agents.

Damn, I loved this guy when he was drafted. If memory serves, Pop and the whole team did as well -- I remember them raving about his eagerness to please everyone and how good of a kid he was. 6-11 wingspan, if memory serves, and an unbelievable rebounder for his size. Good defender and spot-up three-point shooter, as well.

What strikes me in this YouTube is how much better his shot looks than I remember. He had a bit of a Barbosa-esque push shot but his form looks much improved and his balance going up and how he manages to come down almost exactly where he left, is impressive. And I can see that little bit of Jason Richardson DPG saw -- the under the rim athleticism on his finishes -- but there's also a good bit of Mayo and (please don't misunderstand) Kobe.

Watch the turn over his right shoulder as he goes glass at :20 sec. from the left box. Tell me you haven't seen that before; or the drive with his left to the middle at the 1:00 mark where he comes back to his right after raising up for the short jumper from the middle of the lane. Actually, even a couple of his finishes around the rim look similar to the Kobe of nowadays.

Again, I'm not comparing the player, just a similar look to particular moves. And considering Sean always likes to call Mayo a miniature Kobe, seeing a bit of those two in some of his moves, it makes sense.

It's hard not to think about how you could fit him on the Spurs. They obviously liked him when they drafted him and when he was with the team ... and he's really made some great strides in his game. Plus, at 28, he's at the perfect age -- a lot of players best years come in that 27-30 range when their intelligence for the game meets their athleticism at maybe its highest level. The proverbial "peak."

mogrovejo, how would you compare Sato to someone like Bell defensively and who would you rather have if you're the Spurs?

TD 21
05-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Length helps when guarding similar sized players. For example, Hill's length is an asset against Paul, but it's useless against Bryant, because at the end of the day Bryant can still rise up and shoot up over the top of him with ease. The same goes for Blair. Sure, he's long, but that doesn't help him when he has to guard Gasol.

My point is, for the role Sato would fill if the Spurs signed him (3D wing off the bench, guarding Bryant, Anthony, Durant, etc.), I'm not sure his length/wingspan would help him any. At the end of the day, he'd still be 6-3 to their 6-6, or 6-8, or 6-9.

Granted, a guy like Allen (Tony) is 6-4 and generally does a nice job defensively against top opposition wings. It's not often I see his lack of size being a detriment against them, so there are exceptions.

However, when you're aspiring to win a championship every part of the team (and rotation, specifically) matters. This is an important role and the Spurs would have to have a good idea that he could fill this role adequately-admirably before pulling the trigger.

That would be my primary concern with Sato. Physically and skill set-wise, he sounds like a fit. Minutes-wise, I wouldn't worry about him complaining. Essentially, the wing the Spurs are looking for is a primary backup to Jefferson, who'd be the 8th or 9th man. So he'd be in the rotation and probably play 15-20 mpg.

But, this is already an undersized team. Specifically on the wings, they lack a true backup SF. If Hairston is going to be the 10th man and play at least semi-consistently (and there's a good chance of this), then the wing ahead of him should be at least his size, but ideally taller.

Blackjack
05-19-2010, 12:14 AM
I get that. I want size on the wing also. But if it comes down to Bell or Sato, I don't think you turn down Sato if he's thought to be the better overall player and a comparable or better defender.

Plus, it's not out of the realm he could start at the 2. I mean, I love Hill and he's going to be playing 35 a night most likely, but Sato's got better size and experience than him and just because you start doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not saying the Spurs need to sign him or claiming I know or have seen enough to tell you how good he is at this stage, but I like what I'm hearing and where he's at in his career -- Sato could be in for something similar to Anthony Parker when he first came over.

There's no getting around that they need more length on the wing defensively, so hopefully they can find it in the draft (and that the guy's capable of playing good minutes defensively as a rookie). But I'm just not seeing too many options for the Spurs out there that bring the size they're looking for and a price they can afford. Unless they've got some way of making a trade for some size on the perimeter -- I'm all ears if there's something legitimately feasible -- Bell and Sato might be the best they can do (as far as established players).

TD 21
05-19-2010, 12:26 AM
I agree with most of this.

Bringing Hill off the bench isn't a way of getting around the lack of size on the perimeter. Against good opposition and in the playoffs, whether he starts or not, the Spurs are most likely going to play five perimeter players. Four are already spoken for, so let's say Sato is the fifth. Even if he starts, the Spurs are still in a position where either him, Ginobili, or both, has to play backup SF.

I like the size of a guy like Butler, but he's not that good a shooter and he's not a noted defender, either. A guy like Cook, who I've brought up, I think is due for a bounce back year, but he's strictly a two and not established. Evans is a guy with the strength, but not the length, to play full time three and he's like Butler, in that he's not that good a shooter. Bell is still the best option I see available, but he's old, was slipping defensively two seasons ago and basically will not have played in a year by the time next season rolls around, so who knows where he'll be at?

The front office has got to come up with something though, because as much as everyone talks about the needs amongst the bigs, if they don't fill this backup wing spot with someone who can offer up solid, reliable, 3D, then they're still not going to be a championship caliber team, even if they do land Splitter.

Bruno
05-19-2010, 03:23 AM

It isn't a financial problem, it's a minute problem.

Come playoffs time, Parker, Hill and Ginobili will play all the minutes available at PG/SG. To give minutes to Sato, you either has to cut Parker/Hill/Ginobili minutes or to play Ginobili at the SF spot. I don't like both solutions.

benefactor
05-19-2010, 07:24 AM
It isn't a financial problem, it's a minute problem.

Come playoffs time, Parker, Hill and Ginobili will play all the minutes available at PG/SG. To give minutes to Sato, you either has to cut Parker/Hill/Ginobili minutes or to play Ginobili at the SF spot. I don't like both solutions.
...but during the season the Spurs will need another reliable SG, one that can be called upon in the playoffs if the situation necessitates it. In the playoffs one also has to account for foul trouble and potential mismatches on the perimeter. I love Hill, but there are going to be times when he is going to have to deal with SG's that are just too big and can shoot over him. Having a player like Sato(who has 5 extra inches of standing reach) ready to go off the bench during these times would be very beneficial.

Muser
05-19-2010, 07:33 AM
"Tony Allen with a Jumpshot"

That'd be sweet.

Bruno
05-19-2010, 08:26 AM
...but during the season the Spurs will need another reliable SG, one that can be called upon in the playoffs if the situation necessitates it. In the playoffs one also has to account for foul trouble and potential mismatches on the perimeter. I love Hill, but there are going to be times when he is going to have to deal with SG's that are just too big and can shoot over him. Having a player like Sato(who has 5 extra inches of standing reach) ready to go off the bench during these times would be very beneficial.

Spending $2M, that is to say $4M with the tax, for a player who will play about 10mpg during the regular season and in some playoffs match ups is expensive. To fit that role, I rather see Spurs going after a vet min or give a chance to one of Temple, Gee or Hairston.

If Spurs had to spend $2M on a perimeter player, it should be on a SF. Even if Spurs draft one at #20, there is no guarantee that this player is playoff ready is in rookie season.

benefactor
05-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Spending $2M, that is to say $4M with the tax, for a player who will play about 10mpg during the regular season and in some playoffs match ups is expensive. To fit that role, I rather see Spurs going after a vet min or give a chance to one of Temple, Gee or Hairston.

If Spurs had to spend $2M on a perimeter player, it should be on a SF. Even if Spurs draft one at #20, there is no guarantee that this player is playoff ready is in rookie season.
It will actually be a little less than 2 million(LLE fluctuates with the cap?)...and that's a pretty good deal considering what they had to pay Mason just to be a shooter.

The Spurs are going to need better quality depth if they plan on competing next season...depth that can shoot. I like the young prospects, but depending on Temple or Gee is basically like depending on a rookie...and Hairston has yet to prove in his NBA minutes that he can do much more offensively than make the occasional drive to the basket(he's more of an SF anyway). And I REALLY don't want to see them fill that gap with another Keith Boganesque garbage vet minimum.

I agree with you that I would like to see the Spurs use the LLE on an SF, but I don't see any out there that would accept it or would be worth paying it to. I'm not saying Sato is the only or even the best LLE option, I'm just saying he would be a good one when looking at the skills he brings to the table.

benefactor
05-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Just looked up the LLE...it is set at 2.08 million for next season. Still a pretty good deal for a player like Sato IMO.

There is also the chance that Splitter does not use the whole MLE. If that is the case they could sign Sato for a little bit cheaper and give him a partially guaranteed third year.

yavozerb
05-19-2010, 03:07 PM
I would rather get De Colo in a spurs uni than Sato.

mogrovejo
05-19-2010, 05:04 PM
He is not quite as athletic seemingly as a Tony Allen, but from his highlights, he reminds me of a less athletic Jason Richardson.

He is as athletic as Tony Allen post his last knee reconstruction. This highlights video doesn't show it, he wasn't doing anything impressive from an athletic standpoint, but he is. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of videos of him finishing impressive alley-oops + great transition dunks (he's very good in transition). But his athleticism goes beyond the leaping ability + explosiveness off the floor.

The Tony Allen comparison isn't that good because Sato isn't the loose canon Allen can be, he's a more conservative player and he doesn't have Allen's ball-handling/Shot-creation skills.

mogrovejo, how would you compare Sato to someone like Bell defensively and who would you rather have if you're the Spurs?

Bell is a solid comparison as another defensive specialist who wasn't ready for the NBA coming out off college. Bell is a more cerebral and fundamental defender than Sato, who relies more on his athletic abilities + instincts.

Comparing primes, I'd take Bell; right now, I'd easily take Sato. Bell hasn't played in awhile and has been declining for a couple of seasons.

--

Bruno mentions size: I think height isn't that important defensively. You need strength to avoid biggers players to post you, length to contest shots - I think for all effects you can consider Sato a regular 6'5'' player.

He has the standing reach of Richard Jefferson/Jason Richardson/Car Landry. I don't mean wingspan, but standing reach. He's also extremely strong, way above average lower body strength for a guy with his height. I mean, would it really matter if his neck had 2 more inches? Only to see the floor better, but that's unimportant for a player with his role.

Rebounding could be the problem, but Sato is one of the best rebounding guards in Europe. He has great rebounding instincts, fights for them, has very long arms and strong hands. He'd be a very good rebounder for the SG position in the NBA and an average rebounder for the SF position. Blair is one of the best rebounders in the league and he lacks height as well.

Of course, if you still want a guy who plays bigger than a typical 6'5'' player, then you probably should look somewhere. I'd be very enticed with Sato+Ginobili+Hill in my backcourt because those 3 guys can defend more than 1 position and all can defend the quicker guards in the league. That would offer lots of options to switch on small/small plays, I think the ability to crossmatch defensively is very underrated. Anyway, I can see why the Spurs would rather have a bigger backcourt player to go with Parker/Hill/Manu/Jefferson, especially if they also keep Temple.

Salary: I think he wont' ask for the LLE. A smaller part of the MLE shall be enough; I also think that in the right situation, a place where he wants to be and where he feels he's really wanted, a minimum contract shall suffice.

benefactor
05-19-2010, 05:44 PM
I would rather get De Colo in a spurs uni than Sato.
For next year, I'd have to disagree. I want De Colo too, but Sato is a more established veteran with almost twice as many games played. He's more "big stage" ready than De Colo is at this point. Sato is also far and away a better perimeter defender and much stronger.

He is as athletic as Tony Allen post his last knee reconstruction. This highlights video doesn't show it, he wasn't doing anything impressive from an athletic standpoint, but he is. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of videos of him finishing impressive alley-oops + great transition dunks (he's very good in transition). But his athleticism goes beyond the leaping ability + explosiveness off the floor.

The Tony Allen comparison isn't that good because Sato isn't the loose canon Allen can be, he's a more conservative player and he doesn't have Allen's ball-handling/Shot-creation skills.

Bell is a solid comparison as another defensive specialist who wasn't ready for the NBA coming out off college. Bell is a more cerebral and fundamental defender than Sato, who relies more on his athletic abilities + instincts.

Comparing primes, I'd take Bell; right now, I'd easily take Sato. Bell hasn't played in awhile and has been declining for a couple of seasons.

--

Bruno mentions size: I think height isn't that important defensively. You need strength to avoid biggers players to post you, length to contest shots - I think for all effects you can consider Sato a regular 6'5'' player.

He has the standing reach of Richard Jefferson/Jason Richardson/Car Landry. I don't mean wingspan, but standing reach. He's also extremely strong, way above average lower body strength for a guy with his height. I mean, would it really matter if his neck had 2 more inches? Only to see the floor better, but that's unimportant for a player with his role.

Rebounding could be the problem, but Sato is one of the best rebounding guards in Europe. He has great rebounding instincts, fights for them, has very long arms and strong hands. He'd be a very good rebounder for the SG position in the NBA and an average rebounder for the SF position. Blair is one of the best rebounders in the league and he lacks height as well.

Of course, if you still want a guy who plays bigger than a typical 6'5'' player, then you probably should look somewhere. I'd be very enticed with Sato+Ginobili+Hill in my backcourt because those 3 guys can defend more than 1 position and all can defend the quicker guards in the league. That would offer lots of options to switch on small/small plays, I think the ability to crossmatch defensively is very underrated. Anyway, I can see why the Spurs would rather have a bigger backcourt player to go with Parker/Hill/Manu/Jefferson, especially if they also keep Temple.

Salary: I think he wont' ask for the LLE. A smaller part of the MLE shall be enough; I also think that in the right situation, a place where he wants to be and where he feels he's really wanted, a minimum contract shall suffice.
Thanks for the breakdown mogrovejo. :tu

Your comments about salary are encouraging. Though I think he's likely worth the LLE, I'd much rather see him signed with a small part of the MLE and I think that would be much more realistic as far as what the Spurs would want to spend goes.

Blackjack
05-19-2010, 07:02 PM

That's what I was getting at. Raja seems the most talked about player for the Spurs to bring in and help them as their "centerpiece" right away (he's a good defending role-player with a three-point shot) but he's undersized, past his prime and I just don't know how good of a pickup he'd really be -- his asking price may be a little higher than you'd like as well.

That's why I asked you to compare him to Bell and who you'd choose between the two if you're the Spurs. And I've got to say, from everything I know and have seen to what you've told me about what Sato's become, I'm on the verge of championing his cause. He doesn't bring the size at the wing you'd hope for but if Bell's the alternative, I think I'd rather have the guy in his prime who's the better overall player and brings a good amount of versatility -- to say nothing of the potential low asking price.

But as it pertains to Sato's defense, how intelligent does he play and are his habits good and his fundamentals sound, or is he a bit of a gambler? He's got some great tools and an uncanny knack for rebounding but if the Spurs view him as a gambler or someone who lacks focus or attention to detail, I don't like his chances that the Spurs would look to him to fill the role -- not at a long 6-3 and not having really played in the league.

Thanks for the insight, mojo. :toast

TD 21
05-19-2010, 07:05 PM

Completely agree. Even though benefactor is right in that Hairston is more of an SF than an SG, despite him being relatively short, ideally the Spurs need another backup SF. I know his thinking probably is, if Hairston lacks the ball skills of a SG, then why wouldn't the Spurs pursue an SG? Because they don't need their backup wings to have tremendous ball skills. The ball is going to be in Parker's, Ginobili's, Hill's and Duncan's hands the vast majority of the time. What the Spurs need is role players who can defend and make open shots.

On top of that, between Ginobili and Hill, the vast majority of the SG minutes will be spoken for. Sure, for depth purposes they need another couple of guys who can play there, but technically Hairston and Temple are SG's first, despite the fact that on this team their minutes will primarily come at SF and PG, respectively.

I disagree. Maybe on an individual basis height isn't important, but when you're a team that's already undersized, specifically in terms of backup wings, it's not ideal for your primary backup wing (I assume Ginobili will go back to the bench, but I consider him a guard, not a wing) to be severely undersized, even if he is freakishly long.

Length to contest shots is beneficial when guarding similar sized players. For all Hill's length, that doesn't help him when defending Bryant. It would matter if his neck had two more inches. Again, maybe not individually (it's more of a case by case thing; like I said, T. Allen seems to defend bigger players fairly well for the most part), but based on the composition of this roster they need as much size as they can get.

angelbelow
05-19-2010, 07:58 PM
IIRC he was on our 2005 roster? He certainly wasn't ready then but that was 5 years ago.

Blackjack
05-19-2010, 09:01 PM
He was the Spurs' second-rounder in '04.

mogrovejo
05-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Completely agree. Even though benefactor is right in that Hairston is more of an SF than an SG, despite him being relatively short, ideally the Spurs need another backup SF. I know his thinking probably is, if Hairston lacks the ball skills of a SG, then why wouldn't the Spurs pursue an SG? Because they don't need their backup wings to have tremendous ball skills. The ball is going to be in Parker's, Ginobili's, Hill's and Duncan's hands the vast majority of the time. What the Spurs need is role players who can defend and make open shots.

On top of that, between Ginobili and Hill, the vast majority of the SG minutes will be spoken for. Sure, for depth purposes they need another couple of guys who can play there, but technically Hairston and Temple are SG's first, despite the fact that on this team their minutes will primarily come at SF and PG, respectively.

I disagree. Maybe on an individual basis height isn't important, but when you're a team that's already undersized, specifically in terms of backup wings, it's not ideal for your primary backup wing (I assume Ginobili will go back to the bench, but I consider him a guard, not a wing) to be severely undersized, even if he is freakishly long.

Length to contest shots is beneficial when guarding similar sized players. For all Hill's length, that doesn't help him when defending Bryant. It would matter if his neck had two more inches. Again, maybe not individually (it's more of a case by case thing; like I said, T. Allen seems to defend bigger players fairly well for the most part), but based on the composition of this roster they need as much size as they can get.

Have you ever seen a guy contesting shots with the tip of his head?

I think you have no idea what you're talking about. Hill isn't long compared to Sato, he's a midget.

People contest shots and rebound with their arms raised and outstretched. Sato reaches 8' 6.5", Hill reaches 8' 1.5". Hill is in the JJ Reddick tier, Sato is in the Carl Landry (yeah, the former Houston now in Sacramento power forward) tier. It's an absurd comparison. The reason Tony Allen can defend bigger players is because of his freakish wingspan that puts him at a 6'6'' standing reach. But, again, Sato is even longer than Tony Allen.

JonNOKC
05-20-2010, 10:28 AM

If the Spurs choose to go this route next year then it actually makes it easier to sign a guy like Sato as Manu can play PG from an offensive standpoint and then depending on matchups you could switch Sato on defensive side to PG or SG

The problem is we still need a long 3 for certain matchups - like Lakers

yavozerb
05-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Wow, all this on romain sato :lol...This guy would be the 10th or 11th man on the roster if signed, I would rather have a young player.

JonNOKC
05-20-2010, 10:58 AM
I expect the spurs to bring in another PG. a veteran guard who can help run the point behind Tony. It's obvious Hill cant handle that duty for heavy minutes. Unless they really start to trust Temple, I don't see him being the guy.

of course for the most part with Hill being able to defend PGS it is really not a big deal if Manu is healthy and goes back to bench - he can play the PG position from the SG spot as well as anyone in the league - so then Temple becomes Mason JR in getting a few spot minutes at PG - especially if you brought in another combo type guy that could defend some PGs (like SATO) and even Manu can matchup against many PG ok

benefactor
05-20-2010, 01:42 PM
The Blair/Sato comparison is a bad one. Yes, both are undersized height-wise for their position, but it's apples and oranges when comparing body type. Blair is like an undersized version of Shaq. He can't jump that well and lacks good lateral quickness, so the fact that he can almost reach as high or higher than many PF/C's is nullified a little bit by his lack of athleticism. If you were to put a Jeff Green/Carlos Boozer type frame with Blair's same height and length you would have a PF that would dominate on both ends of the floor.

With Sato you do have a player that is athletic yet lacks ideal height. Saying an athletic guy with FIVE INCHES of extra standing reach on George Hill can't contest the shots of most 2 guards in the league is something you are going to have a hard time selling to me. Did I mention he has averaged 40% from distance since 2006?

Wow, all this on romain sato :lol...This guy would be the 10th or 11th man on the roster if signed, I would rather have a young player.
lol...you can't be serious. Did the guy cheat on your sister or something?

Look, I'm not saying the guy will be world beater. But 200+ games of consistent production overseas does not lie. If the Spurs don't want to give him the LLE, that's completely understandable. But if he will come over for 1.2-1.5 million of the MLE there is not a lot to think about(this of course depends on Splitter and what it requires to sign him).

DesignatedT
05-20-2010, 01:45 PM
This guy could be an interesting option. He plays good D. Has to be able to hit from NBA range though. I am not sure how his 3 pt shooting has been over the years in europe(or even if the 3 pt line is closer there) but the guy we bring in has to be able to shoot over 40% from 3 pt land consistently. We cant have anymore of this 31% shooting from behind the arc (mason,bogans) no amount of D makes up for that pitiful shooting... just look at bogans.

the 3 ball killed us in the playoffs and should be the main priority going forward when signing new FA's

Maddog
05-20-2010, 02:29 PM
IIRC he was on our 2005 roster? He certainly wasn't ready then but that was 5 years ago.

04/05 cut when Nazr was traded for- no one else picked him up
2006 played on the Suns summer league- once again no one thought enough of him to bring him in

For some reason he does not seem to generate a lot of interest among NBA front offices. Might be that no one is willing to give him a garuntee

Blackjack
05-20-2010, 02:40 PM

Mason and Bogans, rinse and repeat.

TimDunkem
05-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Sign this guy up!

yavozerb
05-20-2010, 03:34 PM
The Blair/Sato comparison is a bad one. Yes, both are undersized height-wise for their position, but it's apples and oranges when comparing body type. Blair is like an undersized version of Shaq. He can't jump that well and lacks good lateral quickness, so the fact that he can almost reach as high or higher than many PF/C's is nullified a little bit by his lack of athleticism. If you were to put a Jeff Green/Carlos Boozer type frame with Blair's same height and length you would have a PF that would dominate on both ends of the floor.

With Sato you do have a player that is athletic yet lacks ideal height. Saying an athletic guy with FIVE INCHES of extra standing reach on George Hill can't contest the shots of most 2 guards in the league is something you are going to have a hard time selling to me. Did I mention he has averaged 40% from distance since 2006?

lol...you can't be serious. Did the guy cheat on your sister or something?

Look, I'm not saying the guy will be world beater. But 200+ games of consistent production overseas does not lie. If the Spurs don't want to give him the LLE, that's completely understandable. But if he will come over for 1.2-1.5 million of the MLE there is not a lot to think about(this of course depends on Splitter and what it requires to sign him).

I am very serious..This guy is no better than Hairston,Temple, or Gee, all who are on the roster for next season and all for a lower salary. I am not expecting all three of these guys to have good nba futures, but I do expect at least 1 of these guys to contribute heavily on next seasons team. I really do think the Haislip experiment from last season well hurt this guys chances of signing with the spurs.

mogrovejo
05-20-2010, 06:17 PM
I am very serious..This guy is no better than Hairston,Temple, or Gee.

That's nonsense and I was a fan of Temple when he was just another kid giving his first steps in the D-League. Have you actually seen Sato and those guys play?

TD 21
05-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Have you ever seen a guy contesting shots with the tip of his head?

I think you have no idea what you're talking about. Hill isn't long compared to Sato, he's a midget.

People contest shots and rebound with their arms raised and outstretched. Sato reaches 8' 6.5", Hill reaches 8' 1.5". Hill is in the JJ Reddick tier, Sato is in the Carl Landry (yeah, the former Houston now in Sacramento power forward) tier. It's an absurd comparison. The reason Tony Allen can defend bigger players is because of his freakish wingspan that puts him at a 6'6'' standing reach. But, again, Sato is even longer than Tony Allen.

That's irrelevant. The point is the Spurs are already small and bringing in another small guy, regardless of how long he is, is not the answer. He's yet another guy who would be taken into the post by Bryant, Anthony, etc. and abused. Or, they'd face him up and shoot right up over the top. There's a reason most stoppers are 6-6 - 6-8.

Learn to read. I never compared Hill's length to Sato, I just said Hill's long and it makes no difference how long Hill is when he's matched up against Bryant. Despite Hill's 6-9 wingspan, Bryant get's off any shot he wants against him with ease and shoots a high percentage.

Answer me this: Do you think Sato could play backup SF and adequately guard, not just Bryant, but Anthony, Durant, James, etc.? Because that's what it comes down to. That's the role we're talking about and I'm skeptical he could fill it well.

mogrovejo
05-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Hill is not long. Hill is 5 inches shorter compared to Sato. Why do you keep insisting Hill is long? Shoot over the top? Just like they can shoot over the top of Richard Jefferson, Sato is basically as long as Jefferson.

As I've said, I'd think about Sato as a regular 6'5'' guy. The Durants of the world you ideally defend with long 3s, with tweeners, not with guys like Sato or Tony Allen. I'd still take Sato defending those guys over lots of players bigger than him. He wouldn't be murdered. Same as Tony Allen, he's always been better defending the likes of Wade, Kobe or Iverson but he can do a decent job on LeBron, Granger or Anthony.

TD 21
05-20-2010, 07:05 PM
For a 6-2 guy, Hill is long. This is not opinion; it's fact. The point is his length doesn't help him generally when matched up against significantly taller players.

I know what you'd ideally defend Durant types with, but the Spurs don't have and aren't likely to have that type of player on the roster, so whoever they sign to fill the role we're talking about will have to do it, along with Jefferson, Hill and Hairston.

yavozerb
05-20-2010, 07:47 PM
That's nonsense and I was a fan of Temple when he was just another kid giving his first steps in the D-League. Have you actually seen Sato and those guys play?

I have not seen Sato play and especially do not want my first experience with the guy to be in spurs uniform. Look, if the spurs wanna bring him in and tryout thats fine, but in no way would I give this guy a contract without seeing him matched up first against nba talent. My point is this, he is the same size as Gee,Hairston, and Temple who are all coming back next season for cheap and since the spurs are over the cap his contract would actually be double the price. There is a reason the spurs own the austin toros and its for seasons like the one coming up where they can try and develop a bench for cheap while investing most of their $ in the top 6-7 players on the roster. Also, where exactly would you rate the italian league in euro basketball?

mogrovejo
05-20-2010, 08:10 PM
For a 6-2 guy, Hill is long. This is not opinion; it's fact. The point is his length doesn't help him generally when matched up against significantly taller players.

Here's another fact: Sato is 5 inches longer than Hill. Do you think that if Hill suddenly has a spurt and grows 5 inches while keeping the same wingspan, that won't help him?

I have not seen Sato play

I thought so.

Look, if the spurs wanna bring him in and tryout thats fine, but in no way would I give this guy a contract without seeing him matched up first against nba talent.

So, you want the Spurs to trade the pick?

You were against signing Ginobili? Scola? What about Bruce Bowen? Stephen Jackson? Ben Wallace? Bill Laimbeer? You think it was a mistake to offer a NBA contract to those guys?

Also, where exactly would you rate the italian league in euro basketball?

Low, but I very rarely watch an Italian League game. Sato has a big enough Euroleague body of work. But Ben Wallace came off the Italian league, ditto for Manu. Bowen played in a much worse league, in Belgium.

Mel_13
05-20-2010, 08:26 PM

What pick?

mogrovejo
05-20-2010, 08:34 PM
What pick?

The draft pick.

Mel_13
05-20-2010, 08:35 PM
The draft pick.

Which draft pick?

benefactor
05-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Which draft pick?
I think he is making the connection of first round guaranteed money. If yavozerb doesn't want the Spurs to guarantee money to a player because he has not played against NBA competition then he should want to trade the first round pick too, since that is guaranteed money for a player that has not played against NBA competition.

mogrovejo
05-20-2010, 08:44 PM
^^Exactly.

benefactor
05-20-2010, 08:45 PM
I am very serious..This guy is no better than Hairston,Temple, or Gee, all who are on the roster for next season and all for a lower salary.

I have not seen Sato play and especially do not want my first experience with the guy to be in spurs uniform.
:wakeup

TD 21
05-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Here's another fact: Sato is 5 inches longer than Hill. Do you think that if Hill suddenly has a spurt and grows 5 inches while keeping the same wingspan, that won't help him?

I'm just making the point that length isn't all that helpful when guarding someone significantly taller. It's more helpful when guarding a similar sized player. So this notion that Sato's freakishly long arms would automatically mean he'd be able to do the job on big two's and three's in the NBA, I don't buy.

yavozerb
05-20-2010, 09:12 PM
I think he is making the connection of first round guaranteed money. If yavozerb doesn't want the Spurs to guarantee money to a player because he has not played against NBA competition then he should want to trade the first round pick too, since that is guaranteed money for a player that has not played against NBA competition.

I have repeatedly stated that I would rather feel the lower roster spots with young players rather than born again euro players...At least the young players can be had for cheaper salary and can be possibly be groomed into a legit NBA player. Sato is either hit or miss at this point in his career and the spurs cannot afford to waste $ money on a player or a roster spot at this time. At least a young player will not hurt your salary as much and can even be sent to D-league to work on his game. Not really a hard concept to understand.

yavozerb
05-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Low, but I very rarely watch an Italian League game. Sato has a big enough Euroleague body of work. But Ben Wallace came off the Italian league, ditto for Manu. Bowen played in a much worse league, in Belgium.

I am just wondering then why is Sato not in a better league if his game is so good? Not trying to be funny, but its like someone staying in the D-league cause they can dominate and not wanting to move up to the NBA. Correct me if im wrong but I do not think bowen and wallace spent 5+yrs in these leagues. Manu I can understand since he was foreign player and did not play college ball, but nobody from the states goes to europe unless they have no choice and especially for 5 years.

benefactor
05-20-2010, 09:36 PM
I have repeatedly stated that I would rather feel the lower roster spots with young players rather than born again euro players...At least the young players can be had for cheaper salary and can be possibly be groomed into a legit NBA player. Sato is either hit or miss at this point in his career and the spurs cannot afford to waste $ money on a player or a roster spot at this time. At least a young player will not hurt your salary as much and can even be sent to D-league to work on his game. Not really a hard concept to understand.

watched the games vs. Real in the Euroleague top 16 and some summaries of Euroleague games. Sato looked very good indeed.

Sato could be a very solid NBA role player

Clearly NBA material. Not even sure how can be argued otherwise. This guy plays well above his size. Tony Allen with a jump-shot.

I have not seen Sato play and especially do not want my first experience with the guy to be in spurs uniform.

I think I'll take the opinions of they guys who have actually watched him.

yavozerb
05-20-2010, 09:56 PM

I thought so.

You were against signing Ginobili? Scola? What about Bruce Bowen? Stephen Jackson? Ben Wallace? Bill Laimbeer? You think it was a mistake to offer a NBA contract to those guys?

I think I'll take the opinions of they guys who have actually watched him.

Thats fine, I enjoy all these guys opinions as well..In the end I am pretty sure we all want the end result to be the same and that is another spurs championship.

benefactor
05-20-2010, 10:14 PM
This...we can agree on. :)

benefactor
06-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Montepaschi Siena won again today and are 5-0 in the Serie A playoffs...looking like they are going to complete their second sweep on the way to the finals. Sato is playing extremely well. His playoff numbers:

18.2ppg, 4.4rpg, 2.6stl, 65% FG, 44% 3FG

benefactor
06-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Tony Allen has done a pretty good job defensively on Kobe thus far in the finals. Just for the sake of the size argument and what Sato might or might not physically be able to do in the NBA I took a look at him compared to Allen. The numbers were surprisingly similar.

Sato

Height in shoes - 6'3.25
Weight - 204
Wingspan - 6'11
Standing reach - 8'6.5

Allen

Height in shoes - 6'4.25
Weight - 214
Wingspan - 6'9
Standing reach - 8'6

yavozerb
06-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Tony Allen has done a pretty good job defensively on Kobe thus far in the finals. Just for the sake of the size argument and what Sato might or might not physically be able to do in the NBA I took a look at him compared to Allen. The numbers were surprisingly similar.

Sato

Height in shoes - 6'3.25
Weight - 204
Wingspan - 6'11
Standing reach - 8'6.5

Allen

Height in shoes - 6'4.25
Weight - 214
Wingspan - 6'9
Standing reach - 8'6

Man, I know you really like sato but now to mention kobe and sato in the same breath..:lol

TDMVPDPOY
06-09-2010, 02:20 PM
allen has more upside

benefactor
06-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Man, I know you really like sato but now to mention kobe and sato in the same breath..:lol
:rolleyes

Mr Bones
06-19-2010, 11:03 AM
In every article or interview I've ever read concerning Sato and the NBA, the issue of minutes is brought up by him or his agent. That seems to be the big stumbling block. And judging from how much he enjoys being a true star in the Italian league, I wonder if being told that he could play Tony Allen type minutes, or Raja Bell, or Keith Bogans type minutes would be a lure for him, or the final persuasive factor to make him stay in Europe. I'd love for him to give it a shot, but I could never begrudge a guy living the life of a star in Italy not wanting to move to San Antonio to be a bench warmer.

benefactor
06-19-2010, 01:46 PM
In every article or interview I've ever read concerning Sato and the NBA, the issue of minutes is brought up by him or his agent. That seems to be the big stumbling block. And judging from how much he enjoys being a true star in the Italian league, I wonder if being told that he could play Tony Allen type minutes, or Raja Bell, or Keith Bogans type minutes would be a lure for him, or the final persuasive factor to make him stay in Europe. I'd love for him to give it a shot, but I could never begrudge a guy living the life of a star in Italy not wanting to move to San Antonio to be a bench warmer.
Yeah...that could wind up being the deal breaker. He has to understand that he will have to earn his minutes and that they will not be just handed to him.

That said, I think he could start at SG for the Spurs. I'm one of those that is not really in love with Hill starting. People that are enamored with Hill tend to forget how inconsistent he was last year. There were many times against better competition he was a no show. If these types of situations happen again, it means the Spurs have to go with a young player or have Manu play extra minutes. I'm far from in love with either of those options. I think Hill has a far better chance of succeeding if he plays with Manu on the second unit.

Sato's quite a bit bigger than Hill so if he is good as advertised defensively, then he could be a good fit on the perimeter in the starting linuep. Splitter coming over also changes the dynamic of the starting offense a bit. The Spurs will have three legit scoring options on the starting five...Parker, Duncan and Splitter. The rest of the starting unit should be expected to do two things well; shoot and defend. From what I've seen and heard from those whose opinions I respect, Sato has no problem doing either of these.

Mr Bones
06-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Yeah...that could wind up being the deal breaker. He has to understand that he will have to earn his minutes and that they will not be just handed to him.

That said, I think he could start at SG for the Spurs. I'm one of those that is not really in love with Hill starting. People that are enamored with Hill tend to forget how inconsistent he was last year. There were many times against better competition he was a no show. If these types of situations happen again, it means the Spurs have to go with a young player or have Manu play extra minutes. I'm far from in love with either of those options. I think Hill has a far better chance of succeeding if he plays with Manu on the second unit.

Sato's quite a bit bigger than Hill so if he is good as advertised defensively, then he could be a good fit on the perimeter in the starting linuep. Splitter coming over also changes the dynamic of the starting offense a bit. The Spurs will have three legit scoring options on the starting five...Parker, Duncan and Splitter. The rest of the starting unit should be expected to do two things well; shoot and defend. From what I've seen and heard from those whose opinions I respect, Sato has no problem doing either of these.

Yeah I agree with you on Hill. I don't like seeing him as a SG because it negates his length and turns him into an undersized defender, something the Spurs already have too much of. I'd rather see him with Manu so they can share bringing up the ball... also the reason I like Dominique Jones.

benefactor
06-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Montepaschi Siena just finished the sweep of AJ Milano...going a perfect 10-0 on the way to the championship. Sato's stats for the playoffs:

18.0ppg, 4.6rpg, 2.0stl, 61% FG, 45% 3FG, 84% FT

Blackjack
06-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Romain Sato!

benefactor
06-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Here's a little bit better highlight package from this season. He really does kinda play like a little bit bigger version of Hill.

ZRaJ8b7kuV4

Blackjack
06-19-2010, 05:01 PM
ROMAIN SATO!!! :elephant

benefactor
06-19-2010, 05:05 PM
He's awesome possum.

benefactor
06-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Have I mentioned I really like this guy? :)

Cane
06-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Impressive stats although I have no idea on the quality of that league.

Still from his "I will only come if there's minutes" qualifier...seems like the wrong kind of mindset for a guy that hasn't proved himself in the NBA.

Also says a lot that he has that attitude at the age of 29 --- seems like a weakness that he wouldn't be able to handle earning his role and he demands entitlement. It really doesn't seem like he wants to truly compete and earn on the highest level of basketball competition which is understandable but not really Spurs material. And it whiffs of the Finley/Mason Jr. situation which isn't a good smell.

Would much rather have Hill though if its an either/or scenario since Hill has experience/chemistry in the system and in the playoffs. Hill's youth and significant improvements also lead me to believe that he has much more potential than Sato and Hill's been a great hard worker with none of that minutes bullshit.

Sato seems like another undersized player and the Spurs just don't need anyone, of any position, that's remotely undersized with guys like Parker, Hill, and Blair filling up the roster. Lakers have been dominating with their combination of size, talent, height, and length advantages and OKC, Portland, and Houston are also trying to match 'em.

Unless Parker or Hill gets traded out I don't see him coming over for the Spurs.

lotr1trekkie
06-20-2010, 10:44 AM
The bottom line is that the Spurs have to for it now. Tiaggo, Sato, Bourgouiss! I don't see the sense in drafting for the future. The future is now[2 years]. What top 5 pick has turned his team into a contender since Timmy? Gasol was a wimp until he got to play with Kobe. Bynum's deficiencies would be exposed if he were the go to guy on his team. We still have that go-to guy. Surround him with talent that can produce now. After-Timmy [AT] the Spurs will become mediocre until another miracle player falls into our laps. Sieze the day!!

Blackjack
06-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Still from his "I will only come if there's minutes" qualifier...seems like the wrong kind of mindset for a guy that hasn't proved himself in the NBA.

Also says a lot that he has that attitude at the age of 29 --- seems like a weakness that he wouldn't be able to handle earning his role and he demands entitlement. It really doesn't seem like he wants to truly compete and earn on the highest level of basketball competition which is understandable but not really Spurs material. And it whiffs of the Finley/Mason Jr. situation which isn't a good smell.

Sato's a good guy. A REAL good guy. The Spurs absolutely loved him while he was with them. He's not asking to be given minutes, he's asking for the opportunity to prove himself. He doesn't want to come over and be stashed at the end of a bench, as well he shouldn't. He's a quality player that's perfectly capable of being a quality role player.

He's in a good position, playing in what's said to be the Italian's finest league and one of the better ones outside the NBA, so why would he want to take a pay cut (in all likelihood) and not get a chance to play? I don't have any problem with his reasoning.

Would much rather have Hill though if its an either/or scenario since Hill has experience/chemistry in the system and in the playoffs. Hill's youth and significant improvements also lead me to believe that he has much more potential than Sato and Hill's been a great hard worker with none of that minutes bullshit.

It's not an either or. Sato would be playing the role Bogans was given the opportunity to. The "centerpiece" role isn't comical because it wasn't needed, the comedy was in the notion that any team vying for a championship would revolve around the success of a player that's lucky enough to see the floor. Hill's not built to play the "centerpiece" role. He's too talented and too small all at the same time. Sato's only about 2-inches taller but his length and strength has him capable of defending just as well as the 6-5 options the Spurs have or could acquire without a trade.

Sato seems like another undersized player and the Spurs just don't need anyone, of any position, that's remotely undersized with guys like Parker, Hill, and Blair filling up the roster. Lakers have been dominating with their combination of size, talent, height, and length advantages and OKC, Portland, and Houston are also trying to match 'em.

But you've got to ask yourself this: what's the alternative?

Of course the Spurs would ideally add more length on the perimeter. But who's out there that they could get their hands on without a trade? I'd contend that while I'd much rather the Spurs have better length and size on the perimeter, there just isn't anyone out there available that's gonna bring the skill set to play that "centerpiece" role; James Jones is the closest they could get but he's not someone I trust to be there when they need a shot under pressure or maybe even be there period given his injury problems. It's not inconceivable that he could work out but what he possesses doesn't lead me to believe he's some no-brainer option, even with these limited pickings (which is saying something).

So then it comes down to the 6-5 crew and the ones that Sato can compare favorably to defensively. Bell's coming off a season-wrecking injury and is past his prime. There's a chance he could be helpful and just what they need; I'd argue there's a better chance he's not. Then you've got THG (Temple, Hairston and Gee). Temple's a 1-2 (not the "centerpiece" type), Hairston's a swing (3) and Gee's a 2-3. Hairston could definitely do a better job than Bogans, IMO. There isn't much, if any, doubt in my mind. But is he ready to be relied upon under championship pressure in what would be his first real season playing significant minutes? Maybe. I believe in the guy but, historically speaking, it usually takes a run or two before a player's ready for that. Is Gee capable of playing that role? I don't believe so. He's got the physical tools and athleticism to do it but I question whether he has the shot or mentality to do it. He's just a different player from what I know. He's a scorer that's definitely got the ability to play in the league, and he might actually be the better NBA player when compared to Hairston (in fact, I think most would say so judging solely on what they've shown at this level -- even if Malik didn't have the opportunity to showcase himself on a bad team like Washington) but I'm not sure he's the potential fit Hairston is. He might be, I won't pretend that I know the exact kind of strides he's made in his game as of late, but I don't tend to believe he is as of this moment.

So that's where Sato comes in. It's not about not wanting size and length, it's about wanting the best player available to them. Given that he'll come cheap, is in the prime of his career, possesses the skill set that could be a potential fit in the "centerpiece" role, and do it as well as any other player available to them out there ... he makes A LOT of sense.

When it all comes down to it, the problem with the Spurs is in their composition. Their 5 best players don't inhabit their very best lineup. They've got two players at the point position (Parker and Hill), one legit shooting guard (Manu), a rookie 4/5 in Splitter and a 5 in Duncan (which he no doubt is now). They need a "centerpiece" in that lineup. One of either Hill, Parker or Ginobili needs to be on the bench for end-game situations (depending on the circumstance) and playing Jefferson in whomever' stead he'd replace wouldn't give the Spurs enough spacing to execute offensively down the stretch; don't forget what it's like to have the Twin Tower-effect on the floor and how the offensive continuity needs a dead-eye or two to find efficiency.

So sans a trade ... I think Sato's pretty much the best they can hope for -- give me the talent and athletic prowess to get it done (i.e. Sato, Hairston, etc,), not the older specialist (i.e. Bell and alike) when the team's in need of youth to augment an older, less durable (in terms of stamina, recovery and injury) Big 3.

And you're welcome, benefactor! :downspin:

Cane
06-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Sato's a good guy. A REAL good guy. The Spurs absolutely loved him while he was with them. He's not asking to be given minutes, he's asking for the opportunity to prove himself. He doesn't want to come over and be stashed at the end of a bench, as well he shouldn't. He's a quality player that's perfectly capable of being a quality role player.

He's in a good position, playing in what's said to be the Italian's finest league and one of the better ones outside the NBA, so why would he want to take a pay cut (in all likelihood) and not get a chance to play? I don't have any problem with his reasoning.

From what posters including benefactor has led on, he does expect minutes. By deciding to stick around in a lesser league and having that "I want minutes or no deal" message - it says that he really doesn't want to truly compete in the NBA at this point in time. No need to run into another Finley or Mason Jr. situation, two guys who are otherwise also as classy as they come.

It's not an either or. Sato would be playing the role Bogans was given the opportunity to. The "centerpiece" role isn't comical because it wasn't needed, the comedy was in the notion that any team vying for a championship would revolve around the success of a player that's lucky enough to see the floor. Hill's not built to play the "centerpiece" role. He's too talented and too small all at the same time. Sato's only about 2-inches taller but his length and strength has him capable of defending just as well as the 6-5 options the Spurs have or could acquire without a trade.

Yea a post earlier mentioned some kind of Hill or Sato scenario which is why I went on that tangent.

For Sato to play the Baby Bruce Bowen role he'd have to play SF and the Spurs are tiny enough as is imo. Lakers, Houston, Portland, OKC etc. all have players with a combination of height, size, and length that are already problems for the Spurs and they should look to getting bigger.

But you've got to ask yourself this: what's the alternative?

Hairston, other d-leaguers, draft pick, and possible trade scenario's especially since RJ will likely be traded. Spurs should realize that they need to get bigger since they get bullied by guys like Odom, Artest, and Jared Dudley. Those forwards seem to be able to secure easy boards and score easy points in the paint over the Spurs.

So then it comes down to the 6-5 crew and the ones that Sato can compare favorably to defensively. Bell's coming off a season-wrecking injury and is past his prime. There's a chance he could be helpful and just what they need; I'd argue there's a better chance he's not. Then you've got THG (Temple, Hairston and Gee). Temple's a 1-2 (not the "centerpiece" type), Hairston's a swing (3) and Gee's a 2-3. Hairston could definitely do a better job than Bogans, IMO. There isn't much, if any, doubt in my mind. But is he ready to be relied upon under championship pressure in what would be his first real season playing significant minutes? Maybe. I believe in the guy but, historically speaking, it usually takes a run or two before a player's ready for that. Is Gee capable of playing that role? I don't believe so. He's got the physical tools and athleticism to do it but I question whether he has the shot or mentality to do it. He's just a different player from what I know. He's a scorer that's definitely got the ability to play in the league, and he might actually be the better NBA player when compared to Hairston (in fact, I think most would say so judging solely on what they've shown at this level -- even if Malik didn't have the opportunity to showcase himself on a bad team like Washington) but I'm not sure he's the potential fit Hairston is. He might be, I won't pretend that I know the exact kind of strides he's made in his game as of late, but I don't tend to believe he is as of this moment.

Yea there's a ton of variables and to be honest none of who the Spurs have now, including Sato, seem like Baby Bowens. I expect the Spurs to be very active when it comes to trades and trying to move up in the draft so time will tell. Pretty much throwing a dart at this point.

So that's where Sato comes in. It's not about not wanting size and length, it's about wanting the best player available to them. Given that he'll come cheap, is in the prime of his career, possesses the skill set that could be a potential fit in the "centerpiece" role, and do it as well as any other player available to them out there ... he makes A LOT of sense.

Seems like a gamble to rely on a short player with limited NBA experience in Sato as the Spurs premier perimeter defender and I'm going to have to disagree about not wanting size and length since thats one of the main advantages that the Lakers exploited into grabbing a two-peat. Spurs got out-bullied by the Phoenix Suns since their starting five and bench were not only younger but was overall a bigger and longer playoffs squad.

I do agree that the Spurs options are pretty slim at this point but I have a hard time believing that the Spurs will go smaller given how they're already undersized against the Suns, Lakers, Portland, etc.

When it all comes down to it, the problem with the Spurs is in their composition. Their 5 best players don't inhabit their very best lineup. They've got two players at the point position (Parker and Hill), one legit shooting guard (Manu), a rookie 4/5 in Splitter and a 5 in Duncan (which he no doubt is now). They need a "centerpiece" in that lineup. One of either Hill, Parker or Ginobili needs to be on the bench for end-game situations (depending on the circumstance) and playing Jefferson in whomever' stead he'd replace wouldn't give the Spurs enough spacing to execute offensively down the stretch; don't forget what it's like to have the Twin Tower-effect on the floor and how the offensive continuity needs a dead-eye or two to find efficiency.

So sans a trade ... I think Sato's pretty much the best they can hope for -- give me the talent and athletic prowess to get it done (i.e. Sato, Hairston, etc,), not the older specialist (i.e. Bell and alike) when the team's in need of youth to augment an older, less durable (in terms of stamina, recovery and injury) Big 3.

And you're welcome, benefactor! :downspin:

I think its way too early to say that Sato's "pretty much the best they can hope for" given the likely trades that the Spurs will be making and likely will have another decent shot come Feb to make changes.

You guys are also heavily assuming that he'll be able to defend premier wings like the centerpiece is supposed to which seems pretty questionable given his competition in Europe, height disadvantage, and limited NBA experience.

With Hairston no longer being eligible for Austin I think he'll have the opportunity to be the centerpiece. If he starts to disappoint, new trade acquisitions or drafted talent might start to take over.

Has anyone from the Spurs been in contact with Sato? Seems like the rumor mill is dry.

Still I really don't see the Spurs wanting to grab a 29 year old, undersized player with limited experience when they're already suffering on that end with Blair and Hill. They could try and grab a guy with some years in the league or prepare for the future with a draft pick and Toros players.

The Spurs need to upgrade talent-wise but imo they can't afford to do it by going with another undersized option especially one playing the coveted centerpiece role. They already get bullied by Jared Dudley, Odom, Artest, and it'd be a nightmare for the Spurs to try and defend against Melo, James, Durant, etc. The Spurs perimeter players lack the size and height to challenge easy points and grab key rebounds.

dbestpro
06-20-2010, 01:34 PM
I am a Sato fan and would love to seem him on the team, but is there any indication that the Spurs are even remotely interested in signing him?

Blackjack
06-20-2010, 02:58 PM
From what posters including benefactor has led on, he does expect minutes. By deciding to stick around in a lesser league and having that "I want minutes or no deal" message - it says that he really doesn't want to truly compete in the NBA at this point in time. No need to run into another Finley or Mason Jr. situation, two guys who are otherwise also as classy as they come.

No, what you're implying is that his wanting a particular amount of playing time or role is a primadona act. It's not. It's common sense. He's got a good thing going and though his most ideal scenario would be to be playing in the NBA and being the next Anthony Parker, he's not looking to give it up to be a practice player or banished at the end of the bench. I can almost guarantee you if Pop told him the same thing he told Bogans prior to last year (which was obviously: You've got a real chance to be the "centerpiece" and we're looking for you to be it), Sato would take him up on it. I can almost guarantee it.

For Sato to play the Baby Bruce Bowen role he'd have to play SF and the Spurs are tiny enough as is imo. Lakers, Houston, Portland, OKC etc. all have players with a combination of height, size, and length that are already problems for the Spurs and they should look to getting bigger.

Hairston, other d-leaguers, draft pick, and possible trade scenario's especially since RJ will likely be traded. Spurs should realize that they need to get bigger since they get bullied by guys like Odom, Artest, and Jared Dudley. Those forwards seem to be able to secure easy boards and score easy points in the paint over the Spurs.

Again, we're talking an important role. If you would rather go Hairston, I'm not gonna hate on you. Malik's my guy and there's no one here that wants him to have a real shot or believes in him more. But you've got to look at this thing historically. Malik would be in his first real minutes as a significant piece to the puzzle. This role is vital and could prove to be essentially crucial. If the choice is between Hairston or Sato, for this kinda role, I've got to believe the majority goes with Sato. That's just being honest.

Yea there's a ton of variables and to be honest none of who the Spurs have now, including Sato, seem like Baby Bowens. I expect the Spurs to be very active when it comes to trades and trying to move up in the draft so time will tell. Pretty much throwing a dart at this point.

They're going to have to go the trade route if they want a "centerpiece" with the requisite skill and size. I just don't see a way around it.

Seems like a gamble to rely on a short player with limited NBA experience in Sato as the Spurs premier perimeter defender ...

Again, we're talking people available without trades. The only guy out there that could really be the defender we're looking for is McGuire. I love him as a role player and have wanted him on the team for a long time, but he lacks the shot the Spurs need. Unless the Spurs can can tweak the offense with a couple of shooters from the Big positions or otherwise, he's just not going to be able to play "centerpiece" minutes. He could do well situationally and in certain matchups, and God knows I'd want him before Bogans, but the shot just isn't there.

and I'm going to have to disagree about not wanting size and length since thats one of the main advantages that the Lakers exploited into grabbing a two-peat. Spurs got out-bullied by the Phoenix Suns since their starting five and bench were not only younger but was overall a bigger and longer playoffs squad.

I said it's not about not wanting size and length. Poorly worded sentence (most definitely) but never did I say I wouldn't prefer size and length. We're talking about making chicken salad here, not about having the ingredients to make whatever we want.

I do agree that the Spurs options are pretty slim at this point but I have a hard time believing that the Spurs will go smaller given how they're already undersized against the Suns, Lakers, Portland, etc.

Sato, for all intents and purposes, is 6-5. He's not ideal, nor what they'd hope for, but you do the best with whatever the circumstance dictates. If they can make a trade for a Webster, Rush or someone of that ilk, by all means. That's a much better scenario and one I'll be openly rooting for. But if they can't and they're presented the pint-sized and or flawed options out there on the free-agent market? I can't see an overwhelming argument against Sato.

I think its way too early to say that Sato's "pretty much the best they can hope for" given the likely trades that the Spurs will be making and likely will have another decent shot come Feb to make changes.

Let me know about all the free-agents or draft picks that are clearly better or as good as Sato to fulfill the "centerpiece" role . . .

You guys are also heavily assuming that he'll be able to defend premier wings like the centerpiece is supposed to which seems pretty questionable given his competition in Europe, height disadvantage, and limited NBA experience.

Chicken salad.

Has anyone from the Spurs been in contact with Sato? Seems like the rumor mill is dry.

We speculate here. It's what we do. We look at the holes and options available and assess how we'd go about masking or filling them. I'd say it's science but it's more like awesome. :hat

Still I really don't see the Spurs wanting to grab a 29 year old, undersized player with limited experience when they're already suffering on that end with Blair and Hill. They could try and grab a guy with some years in the league or prepare for the future with a draft pick and Toros players.

28, IIRC, and it's about now. It's about finding the best available talent to fill the roles needed. Sato's in the prime of his career, one of the best overseas free-agents available and would cost the Spurs little more than a veteran minimum contract. And, again, let me know about these guys that are out there and I'll be glad to discuss. I just don't see any vets out there to come and fill this role adequately and sure as hell don't see a rookie that the Spurs could get that could come in here and do so. The player needs to both have the talent and seasoning to carry out the "centerpiece" role (I sure like quoting that today) and though Sato's seasoning has taken place overseas, it's still respectable and above or on par with anything available.

The Spurs need to upgrade talent-wise but imo they can't afford to do it by going with another undersized option especially one playing the coveted centerpiece role. They already get bullied by Jared Dudley, Odom, Artest, and it'd be a nightmare for the Spurs to try and defend against Melo, James, Durant, etc. The Spurs perimeter players lack the size and height to challenge easy points and grab key rebounds.

Hope for size on the perimeter, pray for size on the perimeter, but just in case Jobu's out of Rum or God's in the can, pick up Sato and make some chicken salad . . .

The Truth #6
06-20-2010, 03:29 PM
I remembered when they drafted him. He seemed like Spurs material at the time - foreign born, spoke something like 7 languages - but is even more so now that he's improved his game playing overseas.

I'm curious if his offensive skills will make any impact in the NBA. But, all we're hoping for is someone to hit an open jumper. Unless something has changed, he should be very coachable and play hard defense.

He sounds like a decent option. After the draft we'll have a better idea what pieces we have and what we need. He's no savior but not a bad option.

MaNu4Tres
06-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Babbitt!!!

Biggems
06-20-2010, 06:50 PM
So is it possible to get both Splitter and Sato this offseason?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-20-2010, 07:14 PM
I would say yes. But as dbestpro mentioned, would there be even any interest between the two parties?

benefactor
06-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Blackjack...:tu

Just a couple of things for clarity.

First off, I do NOT want Sato coming in as the primary backup SF. I would rather use the draft to fill that role or see Hairston get minutes. I see him replacing Roger Mason Jr. at SG and playing a few minutes here and there at SF when the lineups allow it(a smaller opposing SF and three guard lineups). Manu should not be playing more than 25 mpg during the regular season from here on out and Hill should take all the backup point minutes and some minutes at SG. With Tony at 33 min, Hill at 25-28, and Manu around or a little less than 25 that will leave around 17-20 mpg for Sato(this includes 5-7 minutes at SF per the circumstances above).

Speaking of minutes, I do stand by what I said above...though Blackjack makes a good point in that Sato could have said it with the understanding that he will have to earn them. Whatever the case, I think if he really wanted to come and the Spurs really wanted him an understanding could be reached. Sato has said himself that San Antonio is one of his two favorite cities(Siena being the other) and that Tim Duncan is one of his favorite players, so that's a pretty good start.

The linchpin in all of this is that the Spurs need quality depth...and they need it as cheap as possible. If Sato will agree to come at less than the LLE I don't see where the issue lies. TBQH, I'd be surprised if the Spurs didn't at least gauge interest since they drafted him and he has developed into a really good player in Europe. This has been the Spurs MO for what, the past decade?

benefactor
06-20-2010, 09:11 PM
I am a Sato fan and would love to seem him on the team, but is there any indication that the Spurs are even remotely interested in signing him?

I would say yes. But as dbestpro mentioned, would there be even any interest between the two parties?

TBQH, I'd be surprised if the Spurs didn't at least gauge interest since they drafted him and he has developed into a really good player in Europe. This has been the Spurs MO for what, the past decade?

Cane
06-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Yea with Sato there are some interesting questions since he does seem like a very intriguing prospect...

1. Any real news about Sato actually coming to the NBA in recent months or the Spurs renewing interest?

2. Do the Spurs feel like Sato, a player thats seemingly inexperienced and undersized (around 6-3 with shoes from draft express and ESPN's draft page), is worth guaranteeing minutes? Even though the Spurs already get bullied in the paint and the glass by guys like Jared Dudley and Ron Artest?

3. Why hasn't Sato gotten more attention from the Spurs especially given that Mason Jr., Bogans, and a year ago, Udoka, were able to log minutes?

4. Can Sato come over for cheap or does he make a decent amount of coin that the Spurs have to match?

Sato seems like a good player to try and call on if there's no other prospect. However it'd be plain stupid if the Spurs weren't active in trade talks since their weaknesses are too glaring to be fixed otherwise.

Imo the centerpiece position is still one that requires size and height in addition to length especially given the undersized players already on the roster. The Spurs already struggle against teams with height, size, and length advantages and that makes up most of the West's premier ballclubs including the two-peat champion. The Spurs also have no real answers defensively against the premier 2's and 3's of the league.

Cane
06-20-2010, 09:28 PM

First off, I do NOT want Sato coming in as the primary backup SF. I would rather use the draft to fill that role or see Hairston get minutes. I see him replacing Roger Mason Jr. at SG and playing a few minutes here and there at SF when the lineups allow it(a smaller opposing SF and three guard lineups). Manu should not be playing more than 25 mpg during the regular season from here on out and Hill should take all the backup point minutes and some minutes at SG. With Tony at 33 min, Hill at 25-28, and Manu around or a little less than 25 that will leave around 17-20 mpg for Sato(this includes 5-7 minutes at SF per the circumstances above).

Speaking of minutes, I do stand by what I said above...though Blackjack makes a good point in that Sato could have said it with the understanding that he will have to earn them. Whatever the case, I think if he really wanted to come and the Spurs really wanted him an understanding could be reached. Sato has said himself that San Antonio is one of his two favorite cities(Siena being the other) and that Tim Duncan is one of his favorite players, so that's a pretty good start.

The linchpin in all of this is that the Spurs need quality depth...and they need it as cheap as possible. If Sato will agree to come at less than the LLE I don't see where the issue lies. TBQH, I'd be surprised if the Spurs didn't at least gauge interest since they drafted him and he has developed into a really good player in Europe. This has been the Spurs MO for what, the past decade?

Ah this is a pretty quality post and makes me more open to Sato as being a replacement for Mason Jr. than trying to be a baby Bowen. Even though I wasn't much of a fan of that Duncan topic but the season did have its lows; you definitely deserve the Spurstalk honors with posts like the ones here :toast

Sato still is the wrong direction in terms of addressing height/size but if he can be had for cheap then the Spurs really should pick him up on the roster especially if his defense and 3 point shot comes with him.

benefactor
06-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Yea with Sato there are some interesting questions since he does seem like a very intriguing prospect...

1. Any real news about Sato actually coming to the NBA in recent months or the Spurs renewing interest?

Nothing right now. It's all speculation. However, the fact that he was picked by the Spurs and developed well in Europe makes one wonder if the Spurs might revisit him.

2. Do the Spurs feel like Sato, a player thats seemingly inexperienced and undersized (around 6-3 with shoes from draft express and ESPN's draft page), is worth guaranteeing minutes? Even though the Spurs already get bullied in the paint and the glass by guys like Jared Dudley and Ron Artest?

Dudley and Artest are two different players. Artest is more of a PF and Dudley is a SF. That said, I think Sato could probably guard a player Dudley's size. Dudley is taller but length-wise they are basically the same. Those that have seen him play say he is very active on the boards.

3. Why hasn't Sato gotten more attention from the Spurs especially given that Mason Jr., Bogans, and a year ago, Udoka, were able to log minutes?

Sato has been under contract with Montepaschi Siena for the past four seasons and just became a free agent this year. I'm not sure if there was any kind of buyout stipulation.

4. Can Sato come over for cheap or does he make a decent amount of coin that the Spurs have to match?

I was thinking that it would take the LLE, but there have been others that have said that it would not take that much. If they can get somewhere between the vet minimum and the LLE, then it's a pretty good deal.

Imo the centerpiece position is still one that requires size and height in addition to length especially given the undersized players already on the roster. The Spurs already struggle against teams with height, size, and length advantages and that makes up most of the West's premier ballclubs including the two-peat champion. The Spurs also have no real answers defensively against the premier 2's and 3's of the league.
I don't know if he could defend the bigger 3's...but I don't see him having much problem with most of the 2's in the league. Tony Allen and Sato and close to the same size and Allen did a pretty good job on Kobe in the finals.

Honestly, I think the Spurs answer defensively is centered more around the team defense improving more than any one player being brought in...but that is a discussion for another thread.

Cane
06-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks for taking the time, this place is awesome for discussion...shame the NBA board can't be the same :toast

Blackjack
06-20-2010, 10:16 PM

That's the thing, though. The Spurs' best lineup when they were whole, the one that found the most cohesiveness and continuity, consisted of Bogans starting. That's a legitimate possibility for Romain should the Spurs look to get him back in the fold, and it could be a real win-win in that the Spurs could have a legitimate player in the rotation that allows them to find the continuity, cohesiveness and balance they found with Bogans, while being able to limit minutes for the likes of Ginobili.

I realize it's less than ideal to have a big, long 6-3 guy playing minutes at the 2/3. But when you weigh the pros and cons of all the individuals out there the Spurs are capable of acquiring (without a trade) or just ask yourself how the Spurs would have faired last year if Bogans had been Sato when they were all healthy, how would you view Romain in that context? Is it that inconceivable to believe the Spurs could've played as well and probably better with Sato than they did with Bogans -- let us not forget that while the top of Sato's head would preferably stand 2-inches higher ... this guy's length makes Blair and Hill's almost look normal; and let us not also forget that Sato would have offensive advantages most nights and bring more to the table as an overall player than any of the Spurs' role players at the position in recent memory.

I've heard Bruno, a guy that knows a thing or two about the financial side of things and the type of contracts one might garner, that Sato could be had for maybe no more than a veteran-minimum deal. Maybe a little more, maybe whatever's left from the MLE after Splitter's paid, but we're talking a real affordable player that has a legitimate opportunity to start. Legitimate in that, he's an actual NBA-type player that would actually warrant the minutes.

What a concept . . .

I guess I've got to come up with another movement, eh?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:sPCXNdXt9C8HBM:http://msp273.photobucket.com/albums/jj222/X___Nemesis/VatosLocos.jpg

The Sato Locos?

TimmehC
06-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Sato Locos :rollin

Count me in, even though I don't post here all that much.

The Truth #6
06-21-2010, 01:10 AM
Blackjack,

What offensive advantages would Sato bring? I'm of the opinion that offense would be his vulnerability with rebounding and defense as his advantage.

Are you implying his offensives skills are inherently too much for the average NBA player? I'm not expecting that but would be happy if it came to be.

The Truth #6
06-21-2010, 01:26 AM
After reading again I'm assuming you're saying his offensive advantages are in comparison to Bogan's anemic contributions?

Blackjack
06-21-2010, 01:56 AM
Blackjack,

What offensive advantages would Sato bring? I'm of the opinion that offense would be his vulnerability with rebounding and defense as his advantage.

Are you implying his offensives skills are inherently too much for the average NBA player? I'm not expecting that but would be happy if it came to be.

Well, he's gonna have a quickness and speed advantage on most nights and give you a similar look to Hill alongside Tony, only he's a bigger more polished player. Actually, Hill's a pretty decent comparison, at least as it pertains to the type of game he brings and look you could expect to see. But I think his polish (comparatively speaking) allows him to be a more competent threat when he's forced to make a scoring decision that's not unabated -- if Hill was a running back, you'd say he exploits the hole more than creates one with his decisions or power. He'd see the lane, stick his foot in the ground and get downhill quick. IMO, this is due in large part to the fact that he's still developing his ball skills and finding his way at the position against a superior level of competition. It'll come ... but it takes more than a year-and-a-half to two-years to develop and adjust at this level coming from an IUPUI.

Sato reminded me a bit of Barbosa in his movements and in the way they both utilized their spot-up 3 and slashing games, but Romain's really come a long way in his stroke and filled out his in-between game -- one of these YouTube's on here showed moves that mirrored Mayo and Kobe in particular instances, which, if nothing else, just shows you that he's got actual game and had significant growth in his individual skills. Don't get it twisted, I'm not saying he's comparable to those guys as players, just that he's got a couple of drives and finishes around the rim and from 10-15 that do a decent impersonation. Everything I've seen and heard led me to believe he'd be a solid role player in the league. All that I've heard recently, from guys that I respect, has only strengthened that opinion and led me to believe he'd be as good or better than I thought as a role player.

He's a different player Anthony Parker, both in terms of size and game, but I wouldn't be shocked in the least if he didn't have some similar success. And if the Spurs were to pick him up ... he'd have to be one of the best and most skilled players they've had in a while that inhabited their supporting cast. At least when you look at the vets and low-cost options they've brought in perennially to surround the Big 3.

manufan10
06-21-2010, 01:08 PM
I read through all 5 pages, and I'm sold. Bring him in. Make it happen!

Sato Locos 4ever!

:D

manufan10
06-21-2010, 01:21 PM
thanks for taking the time, this place is awesome for discussion...shame the nba board can't be the same :toast

+1

The Truth #6
06-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Well, he's gonna have a quickness and speed advantage on most nights and give you a similar look to Hill alongside Tony, only he's a bigger more polished player. Actually, Hill's a pretty decent comparison, at least as it pertains to the type of game he brings and look you could expect to see. But I think his polish (comparatively speaking) allows him to be a more competent threat when he's forced to make a scoring decision that's not unabated -- if Hill was a running back, you'd say he exploits the hole more than creates one with his decisions or power. He'd see the lane, stick his foot in the ground and get downhill quick. IMO, this is due in large part to the fact that he's still developing his ball skills and finding his way at the position against a superior level of competition. It'll come ... but it takes more than a year-and-a-half to two-years to develop and adjust at this level coming from an IUPUI.

Sato reminded me a bit of Barbosa in his movements and in the way they both utilized their spot-up 3 and slashing games, but Romain's really come a long way in his stroke and filled out his in-between game -- one of these YouTube's on here showed moves that mirrored Mayo and Kobe in particular instances, which, if nothing else, just shows you that he's got actual game and had significant growth in his individual skills. Don't get it twisted, I'm not saying he's comparable to those guys as players, just that he's got a couple of drives and finishes around the rim and from 10-15 that do a decent impersonation. Everything I've seen and heard led me to believe he'd be a solid role player in the league. All that I've heard recently, from guys that I respect, has only strengthened that opinion and led me to believe he'd be as good or better than I thought as a role player.

He's a different player Anthony Parker, both in terms of size and game, but I wouldn't be shocked in the least if he didn't have some similar success. And if the Spurs were to pick him up ... he'd have to be one of the best and most skilled players they've had in a while that inhabited their supporting cast. At least when you look at the vets and low-cost options they've brought in perennially to surround the Big 3.

I'm in favor of the Spurs considering Sato to see if he would successfully fit into the System. For me, I think it's too soon to say how he'll fair. I too trust Bruno and Mountainballer's opinions, but Youtube highlight tapes are usually one-sided in my opinion, and therefore potentially misleading.

From what I gather I think he can be a solid NBA role player. I agree with you there. And the level of Anthony Parker seems about right. I disagree that an NBA role player will have a speed and quickness advantage most nights. With the elite level of athleticism in the NBA I don't see how Sato should be considered to hold a distinct advantage. I'd love to be wrong. Are you referencing statistics from his draft combines?

Blackjack
06-21-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm in favor of the Spurs considering Sato to see if he would successfully fit into the System. For me, I think it's too soon to say how he'll fair. I too trust Bruno and Mountainballer's opinions, but Youtube highlight tapes are usually one-sided in my opinion, and therefore potentially misleading.

YouTube's pretty much worthless if you're going to base your opinion on the type of player someone is. What it is decent for is to note individual skills, moves and techniques, whether it be shooting form, how compact someone moves with and without the ball and certain aspects that can't deceive the eye because of competition or the nature of the highlight package; and often times you can actually get a decent read on a player with a good amount of separate highlight films because you begin to see what's consistently highlighted and what strangely seems missing -- highlights are there to put one in the best light and displaying what a player doesn't do well or fails at always seems to find its way on the cutting room floor.

From what I gather I think he can be a solid NBA role player. I agree with you there. And the level of Anthony Parker seems about right. I disagree that an NBA role player will have a speed and quickness advantage most nights. With the elite level of athleticism in the NBA I don't see how Sato should be considered to hold a distinct advantage. I'd love to be wrong. Are you referencing statistics from his draft combines?

It's just the nature of his build and position. If you were to just generically look at all five positions on the floor, you'd note that the quickness and speed advantages are on a sliding scale -- you're point guard being the quickest and fastest, your center being the least quick and fast.

Given Sato is somewhat of a 1 playing the 2, athletically speaking, he's going to have a quickness and speed advantage against most conventional shooting guards.

yavozerb
06-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Its all about the $ Sato is looking for..If I remember right I believe Haslip got around 1 mil and thats about all I would give Sato. LLE for a guy who is in his late 20's and yet to show anything in the NBA is too much in my opinion.

Blackjack
06-21-2010, 03:05 PM

My mistake. Bruno has said Sato would cost about $2M ($4M with luxury-tax) and I was referring to mojo's post -- still, another respected poster when it comes to those overseas.

Seventyniner
06-21-2010, 04:14 PM
My mistake. Bruno has said Sato would cost about $2M ($4M with luxury-tax) and I was referring to mojo's post -- still, another respected poster when it comes to those overseas.

So getting Sato would require the full LLE, or even the remainder of the MLE if Splitter gets ~$4M? For the minimum, Sato sounds great. For either of those other two amounts, though...we'll have to see who's on the market first.

Remember that Sato is definitely not your average rookie. If you think that Splitter is polished and ready to go because he's 25 and has had a great career in Europe, Sato is even more so.

Just as a reference point, assuming Splitter does come over, what's the depth chart at the moment?

C: Splitter/McDyess
PF: Duncan/Blair
SF: Jefferson/Hairston
SG: Ginobili
PG: Parker/Hill

I assume that Mason is gone, Bogans might be back for the min, and Bonner is most likely gone (though I'd definitely take him for the min).

Blackjack
06-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Sato in a lot of ways would be replacing Mason and Bogans. ... He be somewhat of an amalgamation.

Seventyniner
06-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Sato in a lot of ways would be replacing Mason and Bogans. ... He be somewhat of an amalgamation.

It seems strange with Ginobili and Hill on the team, but the most glaring need (again, assuming Splitter comes over) is a backup SG or SF. SF is more pressing, but we're thin in the backcourt. Sato can have all the minutes Mason *and* Bogans had combined for all I care.

benefactor
06-21-2010, 05:44 PM
That's the thing, though. The Spurs' best lineup when they were whole, the one that found the most cohesiveness and continuity, consisted of Bogans starting. That's a legitimate possibility for Romain should the Spurs look to get him back in the fold, and it could be a real win-win in that the Spurs could have a legitimate player in the rotation that allows them to find the continuity, cohesiveness and balance they found with Bogans, while being able to limit minutes for the likes of Ginobili.

I realize it's less than ideal to have a big, long 6-3 guy playing minutes at the 2/3. But when you weigh the pros and cons of all the individuals out there the Spurs are capable of acquiring (without a trade) or just ask yourself how the Spurs would have faired last year if Bogans had been Sato when they were all healthy, how would you view Romain in that context? Is it that inconceivable to believe the Spurs could've played as well and probably better with Sato than they did with Bogans -- let us not forget that while the top of Sato's head would preferably stand 2-inches higher ... this guy's length makes Blair and Hill's almost look normal; and let us not also forget that Sato would have offensive advantages most nights and bring more to the table as an overall player than any of the Spurs' role players at the position in recent memory.

It's hard to know what the Spurs will do lineup-wise to start the season. One would have to assume that RJ will at least start the season at SF. This is why I said I wanted Sato starting at SG. This puts a bigger player than Hill...with basically the same/better skills...in the lineup and allows Hill to come off the bench with Manu. Furthermore, this allows Sato to be guarded by a player that is similar in size. He would have a much easier time explioting the matchup on offense if he has a 6'5-6'6 SG guarding him as opposed to a 6'7-6'8 SF.

If we see the same song and dance out of RJ in that he cannot find his way with Parker and the starting crew, then I'm not sure what I would do. Perhaps Hairston can take that extra step and provide good minutes at SF. But whatever they do, I feel strongly that Sato is better set up to succeed if 80-90% of his minutes are spend at SG.

Blackjack
06-21-2010, 05:52 PM
It's hard to know what the Spurs will do lineup-wise to start the season. One would have to assume that RJ will at least start the season at SF. This is why I said I wanted Sato starting at SG. This puts a bigger player than Hill...with basically the same/better skills...in the lineup and allows Hill to come off the bench with Manu. Furthermore, this allows Sato to be guarded by a player that is similar in size. He would have a much easier time explioting the matchup on offense if he has a 6'5-6'6 SG guarding him as opposed to a 6'7-6'8 SF.

If we see the same song and dance out of RJ in that he cannot find his way with Parker and the starting crew, then I'm not sure what I would do. Perhaps Hairston can take that extra step and provide good minutes at SF. But whatever they do, I feel strongly that Sato is better set up to succeed if 80-90% of his minutes are spend at SG.

I agree. I actually had a brainfart, in that I wasn't thinking about Hill and Sato starting together with Tony when I said it, even if that's exactly what I implied by saying RJ and Manu would be on the bench. Like I said, brainfart. :lol

But I could see Manu starting, though. And the Spurs could very well get away with that against the teams that have more of a small forward in a shooting guards frame. Whatever the case, I come to the same conclusion every time I weigh the options: Sato Locos could make for some great T-shirts and merchandise. :D

yavozerb
06-21-2010, 06:01 PM
No way this guy would be starter for the spurs, EVER.....I have no problem with the spurs signing Sato for the minimum but lets be realistic here, he will be a reserve player if signed and would play around 10-15 minutes a night.

benefactor
06-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Why do you still think starting matters? Keith Fucking Bogans started for the Spurs.

yavozerb
06-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Why do you still think starting matters? Keith Fucking Bogans started for the Spurs.

So then I guess you agree then on the 10-15 minutes portion of my stmt..

yavozerb
06-21-2010, 06:07 PM
The scary part is that Bogans is the player that draftexpress compared Sato when the last article was written last season. Damn, your good, but do you really want another Bogans?

benefactor
06-21-2010, 07:05 PM
The scary part is that Bogans is the player that draftexpress compared Sato when the last article was written last season. Damn, your good, but do you really want another Bogans?
You really need to stop. You make yourself look stupid when you continue to say things like this.

In no way did Givony compare Sato to Bogans skill-wise. He said one wonders if they could play a similar role...then went on to say that it's not out of the question that he is better than all three players he mentioned(Bogans, Q-Rich and Stevenson). We, in this thread, are leaning towards the latter end of that statement. Keep in mind that article was posted in December...only 15 games into the season...before Sato won MVP of the league and helped his team to an full sweep of the playoffs.

You did the same thing earlier in the thread when you said I shouldn't mention Kobe and Sato in the same breath...insinuating that I compared them skill-wise...when it was obvious I was comparing Sato to Tony Allen.

Why don't you try actually making a real point instead of throwing out bullshit and hoping it sticks to the wall.

yavozerb
06-21-2010, 08:00 PM
You really need to stop. You make yourself look stupid when you continue to say things like this.

In no way did Givony compare Sato to Bogans skill-wise. He said one wonders if they could play a similar role...then went on to say that it's not out of the question that he is better than all three players he mentioned(Bogans, Q-Rich and Stevenson). We, in this thread, are leaning towards the latter end of that statement. Keep in mind that article was posted in December...only 15 games into the season...before Sato won MVP of the league and helped his team to an full sweep of the playoffs.

You did the same thing earlier in the thread when you said I shouldn't mention Kobe and Sato in the same breath...insinuating that I compared them skill-wise...when it was obvious I was comparing Sato to Tony Allen.

Why don't you try actually making a real point instead of throwing out bullshit and hoping it sticks to the wall.

:lol, you seriously are in love with this guy..Thats ok I guess, I really thought Haslip was going to do very well on the spurs roster this season and I too defended him to the very end. There just isnt very good luck in the NBA of players breaking into the NBA in there late 20's out of Europe. Like I said before, bring him over for the minimum and nothing more.

benefactor
06-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Nice redirect when you are called out(using yet another poor comparison). I'll do myself a favor and just ignore everything else you post in this thread.

benefactor
06-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Just a side note here...back in June of last year the Spurs were reportedly interested in signing Terrell McIntyre, the starting PG for Montepaschi Siena. Perhaps they have been keeping tabs on their old draft pick as well?

Blackjack
06-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Just a side note here...back in June of last year the Spurs were reportedly interested in signing Terrell McIntyre, the starting PG for Montepaschi Siena. Perhaps they have been keeping tabs on their old draft pick as well?

I actually talked with mountainballer about McIntyre prior to last year and the thought did cross my mind. There's been no tangible evidence the Spurs have made an inquiry or expressed any real interest but if you just look at what the options are and remember just how highly they thought of Sato while he was with them ... it's not all that hard to read into it a bit.

Sato's a player I'm almost one-hundred-percent sure they deem to be a Spur. He's in the prime of his career and he's about as good a role player you're going to find at the rate he'd likely garner.

As much as we as fans look at a player's size and physical attributes to determine whom the Spurs need and should go after, it's always been the talking point of the Spurs to simply find the best players. Players that can fit well into the program, on and off the court, taking precedent over more talented or physically gifted athletes. And if the Spurs really are looking to move one of their points, they might just be looking to add another quality piece like Sato and find the true small forward in whatever trade they make; or they could simply just put all their eggs into the RJ basket and hope the second-year in the system and the last year of his contract will be enough to get by.

Personally I have little-to-no-faith in RJ being what they need him to be. But it's conceivable rationale on the Spurs behalf. I simply believe the Spurs need to get some quality production from some low-cost players and Sato and Hairston could conceivably help quite a bit in their roles as the upgrades to Mason and Bogans . . .

The Truth #6
06-21-2010, 10:49 PM
YouTube's pretty much worthless if you're going to base your opinion on the type of player someone is. What it is decent for is to note individual skills, moves and techniques, whether it be shooting form, how compact someone moves with and without the ball and certain aspects that can't deceive the eye because of competition or the nature of the highlight package; and often times you can actually get a decent read on a player with a good amount of separate highlight films because you begin to see what's consistently highlighted and what strangely seems missing -- highlights are there to put one in the best light and displaying what a player doesn't do well or fails at always seems to find its way on the cutting room floor.

It's just the nature of his build and position. If you were to just generically look at all five positions on the floor, you'd note that the quickness and speed advantages are on a sliding scale -- you're point guard being the quickest and fastest, your center being the least quick and fast.

Given Sato is somewhat of a 1 playing the 2, athletically speaking, he's going to have a quickness and speed advantage against most conventional shooting guards.

I still don't see how you are saying he has some sort of distinct advantage. He's around 6'4". Plenty of players are around this height and are athletic. I think it's safer to say he is of average NBA athleticism until proven otherwise through statistics or more video.

Thanks for explaining that smaller players are faster than larger players. :lol

I'm kidding. No, but I do appreciate your lengthy discussions. It's a good thing.

Blackjack
06-21-2010, 11:23 PM
I still don't see how you are saying he has some sort of distinct advantage. He's around 6'4". Plenty of players are around this height and are athletic. I think it's safer to say he is of average NBA athleticism until proven otherwise through statistics or more video.

Thanks for explaining that smaller players are faster than larger players. :lol

I'm kidding. No, but I do appreciate your lengthy discussions. It's a good thing.

It's simple, athletically speaking he's more comparable to a 1 than a 2 in a lot of respects. He's not quite Barbosa but it's a similar feel; he's not an undersized 2 with just the average 2-guard speed and quicks. He's not an athlete the likes of Anthony Parker, he's more explosive and quick. Thus, unless he's playing against a small backcourt, he's going to have advantages speed-wise -- often times revealing themselves in the open court, playing passing lanes and recovering to shooters. Things like that.

Hey, when I take the time to present an opinion, I try to be as thorough and clear as possible. And when I say that, what I'm really trying to say is ...

... I'm a windbag. :hat

biziofromdowntown
06-22-2010, 01:36 AM
Montepaschi offered 5,5 mil $ over next 2 years to Sato.

benefactor
06-22-2010, 04:47 AM
That's a nice offer. They are in negotiations now.

http://www.lanazione.it/siena/sport/basket/2010/06/22/348470-zisis_carraretto_lavrinovic.shtml

mountainballer
06-22-2010, 05:05 AM
Montepaschi offered 5,5 mil $ over next 2 years to Sato.

looks as if they offered something that beats a NBA LLE offer, something Sato probably could have got.
(maybe he already had one on the table and this was the negotiation bar for Siena?)
fact is, a veteran minimum deal won't bring Sato overseas.

benefactor
06-22-2010, 05:30 AM
Yeah...I don't see many NBA teams offering more than that. Unless his desire to come back to the NBA is worth leaving a million and a half on the table, I think there is a good chance he will stay in Siena.

mountainballer
06-22-2010, 06:00 AM
we also need to see what he would give up other than money.
he is a hero there, fans really love him. he lives in one of the most beautiful cities in one of the most beautiful regions in the world. he knows he won't ever reach star status in the NBA and for making the real big money, the jump into the NBA is to late.

manufan10
06-22-2010, 09:35 AM
So does it look like Sato is, more than likely, not going to come over to the NBA?

benefactor
06-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Right now it's up in the air. The offer from Siena is a solid one and should beat out what most NBA teams are willing to pay, but I would be a little surprised if he jumps at Siena's offer anytime soon. He will probably wait until after free agency gets rolling to see what the NBA teams that are interested him have to say.

Blackjack
06-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Agree. I genuinely believe he wants to have an opportunity to play in the league and given where he's at in his career, this is likely his best and maybe last real chance to test his skills and see just how good and successful he can be.

If he gets some kind of promise to be a legit part of a team, a rotation player that has the opportunity to garner as much as 25-30 minutes a night, I could easily see him leaving money on the table. Whether that's with the Spurs or they have any interest is another story. Depending on what they do via the draft and trade, there's no telling if he'll be more or less viable as an option for them.

I'm glad for him, though. He's a good guy by all accounts and he'll always have an association and tie with the Spurs (but he does know that he could have the Sato Locos, right!?!).

Seventyniner
06-22-2010, 01:52 PM
If he gets some kind of promise to be a legit part of a team, a rotation player that has the opportunity to garner as much as 25-30 minutes a night, I could easily see him leaving money on the table. Whether that's with the Spurs or they have any interest is another story. Depending on what they do via the draft and trade, there's no telling if he'll be more or less viable as an option for them.

I can't see any non-injury-related circumstance in which Sato would get 25-30 mpg as a Spur. He would've been great for the minimum, and even the LLE, but he would have to sacrifice close to $2,000,000 to take it (assuming a 2-year LLE deal). Would you give up $2,000,000? I wouldn't.

Blackjack
06-22-2010, 02:07 PM
It's too early to tell what kind of minutes he could get because we don't know the direction the team's going in. The composition could change considerably and Sato could even conceivably replace Hill's role should he be traded.

Point is, we just don't know what kind of offer the Spurs could make to him or opportunity they could present because there's just too much up in the air.

If Sato is presented with an option like the one I presented, though, I could easily see him forsake 1 to $1.5M if it means playing in the NBA -- stress on playing.

EricD
06-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Any chance all the Sato Locos get their wish still? :lol

I'm praying..

But I don't think it will happen.. :depressed

benefactor
06-25-2010, 08:39 PM
The drafting of Anderson basically disbanded the Satos Locos. It doesn't make much sense for the Spurs to sign Sato now.

Blackjack
06-25-2010, 08:45 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:sPCXNdXt9C8HBM:http://msp273.photobucket.com/albums/jj222/X___Nemesis/VatosLocos.jpg

SaTo LoCoS

4eVa

(.... or at least until they draft a 6-5 shooting guard.)

EricD
06-25-2010, 08:49 PM

SaTo LoCoS

4eVa

(.... or at least until they draft a 6-5 shooting guard.)

But if we trade Parker for Lee then we can still have room for him don't you think?

benefactor
06-25-2010, 08:52 PM
The Spurs aren't trading Parker...especially not for David Lee.

EricD
06-25-2010, 08:53 PM
The Spurs aren't trading Parker...especially not for David Lee.

Spurs need a 20 and 10 guy next to Tim though. don't u think?

benefactor
06-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Losing Parker would hurt more than Lee would help. Besides, with Splitter coming there would be a log jam on the front line.

DesignatedT
06-25-2010, 09:44 PM
David Lee plays no defense. He would be a terrible fit.

Blackjack
06-25-2010, 09:54 PM
But if we trade Parker for Lee then we can still have room for him don't you think?

No, Lee is much bigger than Parker. If you take the same size space and give it to Lee, there's less room. It's science.

mountainballer
06-28-2010, 07:22 AM
http://thehoopsmarket.blogspot.com/2010/06/real-madrid-offers-returning-of.html
According to the Italian media, Real Madrid has offered Rimantas Kaukenas to make easier the arrival of Romain Sato to the Spanish team. The 32-year-old Lithuanian forward won't continue in Real Madrid, which could try to convince him to go back to Siena, where he played between 2005 and 2009. Montepaschi, though, doesn't want to get rid of Sato.

seems as if Real tries to get Sato. this won't level down his asking price.

however, I agree with all who think the Anderson pick didn't increase the chance to sign him. not because they are similar players, more because of minutes and roster spots.
Spurs obvious need is a defensive 6'7''-6'9'' SF. Sato isn't. whatever wingspan he meanwhile displays.

benefactor
06-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Yeah...I read an article or two a couple of days ago that inferred the same thing. I thought initially that the Spurs might reach out to him but chances of that now are pretty close to zero.

mountainballer
06-30-2010, 02:46 AM
http://thehoopsmarket.blogspot.com/2010/06/olympiakos-interested-in-romain-sato-to.html
Olympiakos, interested in Romain Sato to replace Josh Childress

Another top European club in the mix to land Romain Sato. The Greek team could be interested in signing the 29-year-old Central African Republic forward to replace Josh Childress, in case the 27-year-old American player decides to go back to the NBA. Sato, the MVP of the last Lega A, where he averaged 14.7 points and 4.3 rebounds, is also on the radar of Regal Barcelona and Real Madrid.

even more interest in Sato. obviously he has become one of the top FAs in Europe. at least an indicator, how much he has developed over the last years.

biziofromdowntown
06-30-2010, 03:20 AM
No Real, no Oly. The choise for Romain is Siena or NBA, nothing else. The Montepaschi is trying to make a team to win Euroleaugue in a coupe of years.

benefactor
07-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Sato is not going to Spain.

http://www.as.com/baloncesto/articulo/alan-anderson-kelati-alternativas-rudy/dasbal/20100701dasdasbal_7/Tes

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2010, 06:21 PM
:jack

mountainballer
07-14-2010, 05:29 AM
WTF. all because they constantly spy this board.

Dallas Mavericks could be close to sign Romain Sato

Despite the huge interest of Olympiakos to sign Romain Sato, the 29-year-old Central African Republic forward could be close to reach to an agreement with the Dallas Mavericks. This would be the second stint in the NBA for Sato, currently a free agent after his contract with Montepaschi Siena expired, after being signed by the San Antonio Spurs in the 2004-05 season, but without playing a single minute. Sato, MVP of the last Lega A, averaged 14.7 points and 4.3 rebounds in the Italian league.
http://thehoopsmarket.blogspot.com/2010/07/dallas-mavericks-could-be-close-to-sign.html

Blackjack
07-15-2010, 01:09 PM
ShamSports

Sato is a pretty awesome player whom I would rather sign than Ronnie Brewer. Interesting that Dallas is the only NBA team pushing for him.
12 minutes ago via web

ShamSports

Olympiakos apparently on the cusp of signing ex-Spurs SG Romain Sato to replace Josh Childress. The other bidders: Real Madrid and Dallas.
13 minutes ago via web

mountainballer
07-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Panathinaikos signs Romain Sato to a three-year, $7 million contract

Finally, the agreement between Panathinaikos and Romain Sato has arrived. The Greek team has reached to a three-year, $7 million deal with the 29-year-old Central African forward. The last MVP of the Lega A arrives to Panathinaikos after four seasons in Montepaschi Siena.

http://thehoopsmarket.blogspot.com/2010/07/panathinaikos-signs-romain-sato-to.html

less money involved than always reported. still more than Spurs could have offered. (I assume the mentioned number is net money)
happy to NOT see him in Dallas.

FeZZy
07-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Fuck