PDA

View Full Version : Roger Mason will not be a Spur next season...

Amuseddaysleeper
11-10-2009, 12:20 AM
...He used to be so cold blooded.

iilluzioN
11-10-2009, 12:22 AM
I think he needs more MIN

tp2021
11-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Don't you think it's hard to be cold-blooded in the first 5 games of the season?

ElNono
11-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Do we really need to wait till next season?
Now, joking aside, he simply struggles mightly as a PG, and his defense probably ranked among the worst tonight. We'll see if he finds a niche and improves now that Tony is out and he should get some extra minutes.

ShoogarBear
11-10-2009, 12:24 AM
I bet you never thought Matt Bonner would be a Spur this year.

Spursmania
11-10-2009, 12:24 AM
I definitely think if he is not traded this year, it will be his last year anyway with the Spurs.

HarlemHeat37
11-10-2009, 12:25 AM
I'd like to see both he and Finley gone, but it will never happen..hopefully we can settle for 1 of them being taken off the roster or at least out of the rotation..

Amuseddaysleeper
11-10-2009, 12:25 AM
I'd like to see both he and Finley gone, but it will never happen..hopefully we can settle for 1 of them being taken out..

And considering Pop's man crush on Finley, Mason will most likely be the one to go.

Finley's shot does seem to be hot.....for now.

SequSpur
11-10-2009, 12:26 AM
RMJ Jr is a hall of famer...stfu

Amuseddaysleeper
11-10-2009, 12:26 AM
I bet you never thought Matt Bonner would be a Spur this year.

:lol no, but according T Park he should have his jersey retired as a Spur

BadOne
11-10-2009, 12:27 AM
I have to agree w/iilluzion on this one. Mase used to be our starting shooting guard. Bogans is a decent defender, but we need someone like Mase to start the 2 spot, that way, if he's hot, we've got someone to hit the spot 3 point shots from the start, if not, bring Manu in the be that spark off the bench. Finley or Bogans shouldn't be starting in my opinion, but hey, that's me...

Cant_Be_Faded
11-10-2009, 12:27 AM
These threads are fucking weak. What is wrong with you people? Use your spurstalk page to post your independent one-liner thoughts. Jesus.

Roger Mason started last season with an unrealistic god-like 3point percentage, and ended the season with a handful of game-winning shots. Teams adjusted to him before the playoffs began and we all saw his production steadily decrease. We saw Pop force him be PG and he withdrew more and more. What we are seeing is that same player (imagine that) also faced with Pop trying to dish out more subs than a fat guy that works at subway. He went through stretches last year where he missed his open threes you know.

When he goes through a predictable 14ish game streak being 50% from 3point land, I can only imagine how many "RMJ ownz" threads there will be.

11-10-2009, 12:28 AM
he seems to be as streaky as finley.

Thompson
11-10-2009, 12:29 AM
I think the inconsistent minutes are hurting him; I can't for the life of me figure out why Pop didn't have him starting, considering he was hitting every freaking shot for us last year. Not just game winners either, he was a great shooter throughout the season.

I'm hoping Pop tries him in the starting lineup for a few games to see if he can recapture what he had last year, I can't figure out what he's doing with Finley in there.

rayray2k8
11-10-2009, 12:30 AM
This topic should not be discussed until 30-40 games into the season...
His time will come, but I agree that he might not be back, but only because the spurs might not be able to re-sign him because of the spurs
salary cap situation.

DPG21920
11-10-2009, 12:31 AM
RMJ is a fantastic player to have on a team like this. He is perfect for his role, and just because he is not playing well does not mean there are better options than him out there. You can't hope to just keep trading up in talent.

You need guys like RMJ and Hill and Blair if you want to have depth. Let things get settled and let him find his niche again.

SequSpur
11-10-2009, 12:32 AM
RMJ fuckin Shreds..you dipshits don't know anything about basketball.

Big P
11-10-2009, 12:34 AM
What gave it away? His ending contract?

HarlemHeat37
11-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Mason should have an Eddie House role, where he plays 10-15 MPG or when the team needs shooting..on this team, that isn't happening..he's getting over 20 MPG and so is Finley..that just won't work on a contender, no other team has 2 players in their rotation like that..

spursfaninla
11-10-2009, 01:47 AM
Mason should have an Eddie House role, where he plays 10-15 MPG or when the team needs shooting..on this team, that isn't happening..he's getting over 20 MPG and so is Finley..that just won't work on a contender, no other team has 2 players in their rotation like that..

Agreed. Finley plays the same role that Mason ideally should play, except Fin can defend bigger guys (as long as they are slow small forward types)

Right now, Ghill should be playing the combo guard role. If manu is getting 25 a night, and mason gets another 15, that leaves about 8 minute for ghill to get combo guard minutes. With Parker playing about 35 minutes, that is another 13...so ghill can play at least 20mpg that way; more if he is outplaying mason.

Unfortunately, the way mason is playing, ghill will be stealing his minutes and sharing them with bogus...

TD 21
11-10-2009, 01:50 AM
Last year was an aberration. Not in terms of Mason's abilities, but rather his role. That being said, I actually think he'll not only re-sign with the Spurs, but that he'll go back to being a starter, particularly if Jefferson re-establishes himself defensively. This is likely it for Finley. I expect him to retire and if so Mason will likely split his leftover minutes with Bogans (if he's re-signed) or Hairston (if he's re-signed and put into the rotation).

SenorSpur
11-10-2009, 01:59 AM
I'd like to see both he and Finley gone, but it will never happen..hopefully we can settle for 1 of them being taken off the roster or at least out of the rotation..

:tu

I like RMJ is a "hired gun" kind of role. He did flourish as a starter, so that wouldn't be bad. However the team defense is atrocious, so I would prefer to keep seeing Bogans there for the time being.

We all know that Finley is Pop's sacred cow. It's hard to fathom why he favors so much court time for Finley, when it's obvious that any increased PT for him results in diminished returns.

If Pop would do the right thing and promote Hairston, he could peel back minutes for both these guys - maybe even setup a scenario where he gets rid of one or the other.

Of course, it'll never happen.

TDMVPDPOY
11-10-2009, 02:37 AM
MASON has been shooting blanks lately....

murpjf88
11-10-2009, 02:43 AM
Mason will not finish the season with the spurs.

#2!
11-10-2009, 03:04 AM
Agreed. Finley plays the same role that Mason ideally should play, except Fin can defend bigger guys (as long as they are slow small forward types)

Right now, Ghill should be playing the combo guard role. If manu is getting 25 a night, and mason gets another 15, that leaves about 8 minute for ghill to get combo guard minutes. With Parker playing about 35 minutes, that is another 13...so ghill can play at least 20mpg that way; more if he is outplaying mason.

Unfortunately, the way mason is playing, ghill will be stealing his minutes and sharing them with bogus...

so unfortunately the spurs are doing what you're suggesting?

angelbelow
11-10-2009, 03:14 AM
Yea i agree that hes struggling but hes got plenty of time to turn things around. hopefully he does, he was a great shooter last season.

pinoy_spur
11-10-2009, 03:17 AM

i agree. it just struck me though. dont anybody think that RMJ wants out of the Spurs?

duncan228
11-10-2009, 03:37 AM
Twitter today.

Roger Mason Jr.: #dumbquestions do you like playing in the NBA? noooo, I hate playing bal for a living?? Coome on maan? lol

kobyz
11-10-2009, 04:39 AM
Mason is scrub, lol at most of you prefering Mason over Finley, Mason should not play at all - get him out of the team, he is a bad player

timtonymanu
11-10-2009, 06:16 AM
I hope Mason picks it up. I really like him. I had a feeling he would be playing the Udoka role this year. The Spurs just have so much depth that Mason's left in the dirt.

benefactor
11-10-2009, 06:17 AM
I think that putting him back in the starting lineup might help, but with Bogans looking good right now it's hard to justify that. Hopefully he can shoot himself out of his slump soon, because he is pretty cold blooded late in games.

ceperez
11-10-2009, 06:26 AM
Seems to me that opposing teams have studied Mason's scouting reporting pretty well.

He didn't get many open shots. He'll need to add some more variety to his offensive game.

He did miss I think all his shots.

But he played well enough and spelled relief with the point guard duties.

See without Parker, there are only 3 other guys that can dribble and set up the offense.... that's Hill, Mason and Ginobili. I also think RJ can do it, but he's still learning to play PF and having him PG will be too big a learning curve!

Spurs Brazil
11-10-2009, 07:31 AM
The only thing Mason Jr does well is his shooting. And when he's not hitting he's awful.

His defense is bad as Finley, if not worst and on offense he holds the ball too much, killing any movement

When TP is back I'd rather see Hill getting all Mason minutes

MaNu4Tres
11-10-2009, 08:24 AM

Harlem you can find about 4 threads where I said in the off-season Mason would be expendable due to minutes and opportunity. And most likely would not be back next year anyway....That was a reason why I said it would be best if we traded him while his trading value was high.

Instead many of y'all called me crazy.

EmptyMan
11-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Not only will Mason be a Spur next year along with Finley, Pop will venture out to find another Finley clone to complete his small ball line-up of:

Duncan
Finley
Mason
Finley Clone #3
Parker.

bigdog
11-10-2009, 12:20 PM
I just hate RMJ when he's handling the ball.

SenorSpur
11-10-2009, 12:33 PM
The only thing Mason Jr does well is his shooting. And when he's not hitting he's awful.

His defense is bad as Finley, if not worst and on offense he holds the ball too much, killing any movement

When TP is back I'd rather see Hill getting all Mason minutes

Starting to see a trend here. Too many one-trick ponies (Bonner, Finley, Mason). All of which are shooters, yet horrific defenders.

mountainballer
11-10-2009, 01:02 PM
let's get James Jones from Miami for Mason.
they will do it to get more cap space for 2010 and might even be willing to sweeten the deal with money or a pick.
(they also had made an offer for mason last summer, so at least back then they liked him. the reason the Spurs payed surprisingly much for him at 3.5M was likely the Heat offer).
Jones doesn't get minutes behind Q-Rich (who plays very good and is Wades best friend), Beasley and Wright.
I still think he would fit great. and we get a versatile defender for 2, 3 and combo 4. Hill should take some of Mason's minutes anyhow, Manu should play about 30 and Bogans, Fin and Hairston will also be able to play SG. another player with good size and length will help more.

SpurNation
11-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Mason may not be a Spur by the end of this season. That's not saying I wish him gone. But in the rotation of things...if he's not going to get major minutes by trade deadline...he just might be traded for a player that can contribute for a playoff run.

lefty
11-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Mason is a clutch mofo

Bukefal
11-10-2009, 02:28 PM
He is a great player, we need him and it's nice to have such a player. I would rather have Mason than Hill. Maybe he is struggling, but if he gets more minutes, he will show what he is capable of again, like he did last season.

DBMethos
11-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Hill >>>>>> Mason. And I like Mason.

ShoogarBear
11-10-2009, 02:37 PM
If Hill continues to pan out, Roger Mason will be the fourth guard, (maybe the fifth if they want to go big with RJ) and the #9-10 player overall. Name a better 4th guard or #9 in the league.

FromWayDowntown
11-10-2009, 02:42 PM
If Hill continues to pan out, Roger Mason will be the fourth guard, (maybe the fifth if they want to go big with RJ) and the #9-10 player overall. Name a better 4th guard or #9 in the league.

That's been my point of comparison between last year and this year. Roger Mason, Jr. as your 4th best player makes you an average team that is first round fodder at best. Making Roger Mason, Jr. your 8th, 9th, or 10th man makes you really deep and pretty formidable.

Let's hope the latter happens.

duhoh
11-10-2009, 02:48 PM
boo frickin hoo.

morons.

borders
11-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Roger Mason is a loser. The Spurs should dump him.

Old School 44
11-10-2009, 03:18 PM
RMJ is not a terrible player, but someone needs to tell him you don't get extra points for shooting two feet beyond the three point line.

PuttPutt
11-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Too early to tell if he needs to be gone or not. Same with this team. We just don't have the chemistry yet.

mingus
11-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Starting to see a trend here. Too many one-trick ponies (Bonner, Finley, Mason). All of which are shooters, yet horrific defenders.

i was actually pointing that out the other day to my dad. S-Jax, Barry, Horry, Bowen were all great at at least two things. Barry was a fantastic passer, shooter, playmaker, and a good defender - not great, but not Finley or RMJ bad; S-Jax was a good shooter - albeit streaky as hell - good passer, good defender; Horry was a great shooter, defender, an underrated passer, and very high bball i.q.; Bowen was a great shooter, great defender.

their replacements RMJ, Bonnner can't do what they did. and Finley was always a one-trick pony, but when you have two replicates of him on the court at the same time sometimes, the Spurs are clearly at their worst.

the Spurs may have more depth now, but they've also got more guys who like you say are one-trick ponies. that's why i'm hoping GHill, Bogans, McDyess, and Ratliff get more pt. they're more like what we had in the past that made us successful.

spursnatic
11-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Roger Mason Jr. needs to be our starting 2...If you seen his numbers last year and wondered why he did such a solid job?...Is because he started most of the games...I myself would prefer that he starts...He is a great player, but an even better starter...Some people are just better when they start?...Like AI