PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Ginobili powers Spurs past Raptors

duncan228
11-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Ginobili powers Spurs past Raptors (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Ginobili_powers_Spurs_past_Raptors.html)
Jeff McDonald

In the hours before his team walked into the AT&T Center on Monday, Toronto coach Jay Triano sat down with game film figuring he'd caught a break.

Tony Parker, the Spurs' All-Star point guard, had been ruled out of that night's game. George Hill, a relatively untested second-year guard, would start in his place.

Somewhere in the midst of that fuzzy film session, Triano's mood changed.

“Some of the video we had was pretty blurry,” Triano said. “George looked quite a bit like Tony.”

Nowhere on that film was the old Manu Ginobili. Triano and the Raptors had to wait to see that firsthand.

While Hill filled in ably for Parker, Ginobili pulled a page from his pre-injury past, totaling 36 points, eight assists and four blocks to lift the Spurs past the Raptors 131-124.

The victory was a much-needed one for the Spurs, who averted their first three-game regular-season losing streak since starting last season 0-3. It came with them doubly short-handed. Tim Duncan was a late scratch, joining Parker on the inactive list with a swollen left ankle.

When the Spurs required it most, Ginobili saved them. He scored 12 of his points in the fourth quarter, all on 3-pointers, to lead a finishing kick that took the Spurs from trailing 104-100 with 9:17 to play to ahead 123-112 with 2:41 left.

He hit six of eight 3-pointers on the night.

“I was really needing it,” said Ginobili, who was shooting 39.2 percent heading into the game. “I needed to get hot, make shots and begin feeling good about myself. It hadn't happened yet.”

The 124 points were the most points the Spurs had allowed in a four-quarter victory since a 129-124 affair against Sacramento on Jan. 30, 1993. It was also the highest-scoring non-overtime game of the Gregg Popovich era.

Afterward, Popovich was in no mood to nitpick the win. He was pleased with how his team had competed, even with two All-Stars tethered to the bench.

“It was a good win,” Popovich said. “And we needed a good win.”

The Spurs won despite giving up 32 points to Chris Bosh, who has scored at least 20 in a league-best 14 consecutive games dating to last season.

Ginobili, who tallied the most points ever by a non-starting Raptors opponent, was one of four Spurs players to enjoy a season scoring high. Richard Jefferson had 24 points. Hill performed his Parker impression en route to 22. Matt Bonner scored 18.

Jefferson enjoyed — or, rather, endured — another first as well. When he was traded here in June, Jefferson never envisioned he'd be starting a game at power forward for Duncan.

“That first six minutes was a little bit of a struggle, trying to find my way,” Jefferson said. “I'm still trying to figure out the three spot.”

For Ginobili, the season so far has also felt like an out-of-body experience. He began to feel like himself Monday.

With the Spurs down 10 in the second quarter, Ginobili completed perhaps the most productive 2-for-6 half in basketball history. He forced his way to the line eight times, making all eight shots. He doled out seven assists, including slick passes to DeJuan Blair and Antonio McDyess on back-to-back possessions that tied the game.

In the second half, Ginobili found his groove. He continued to get to the line, finishing 14 of 16. And he discovered his 3-point stroke.

Consecutive Ginobili treys put the Spurs ahead 106-104 with 8:52 left. They would never trail again.

The last time Ginobili felt so good with a ball in his hands?

“It was against Toronto, too,” Ginobili said. “I remember it pretty vividly.”

Ginobili had 32 points in a loss at the Raptors last February. The next day, he would begin treatment for a sore right ankle and would never be the same again.

Until Monday night, with the Spurs staring down a losing streak, and needing him most.

elbamba
11-10-2009, 02:44 AM
Manu was great today but I hope he does not fall in love with the three ball.

Thompson
11-10-2009, 02:56 AM
Good article by McDonald. Thanks 228.

DAF86
11-10-2009, 03:13 AM

16 FT attemps.

angelbelow
11-10-2009, 03:15 AM
16 FT attemps.

:downspin:

Otaku
11-10-2009, 03:15 AM

If he's gonna hit 6 threes a night, then I'm all for it :lol

Blackjack
11-10-2009, 03:16 AM
That was vintage, efficient, cold-blooded Manu..:tu

Darkwaters
11-10-2009, 03:27 AM

When you're hot and you keep hitting then I have no issue with a player pulling the trigger repeatedly. 6-8 is pretty awesomely hot.

Oh, and all the aforementioned free throws should tell you just how much he was mixing up his game.

duncan228
11-10-2009, 03:28 AM
Slideshow.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/Spurs_131_Raptors_124.html?c=y&page=1

Cry Havoc
11-10-2009, 05:02 AM
Richard Jefferson starting at the 4 is just ridiculous.

Love the win, but what the hell did we go to all the trouble to get Dice and Blair and our other bigs for?

Rappin' Pop
11-10-2009, 05:15 AM

Love the win, but what the hell did we go to all the trouble to get Dice and Blair and our other bigs for?
You are going to see Jefferson a lot at the 4,
Finley will still play minutes come this fall.
Malik shall guard the gatorade,
While Matt Bonner gets paid.

ElNono
11-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Jefferson enjoyed — or, rather, endured — another first as well. When he was traded here in June, Jefferson never envisioned he'd be starting a game at power forward for Duncan.

“That first six minutes was a little bit of a struggle, trying to find my way,” Jefferson said. “I'm still trying to figure out the three spot.”

Please don't figure it out, so Pop stops trying to play you there. :nope

wildbill2u
11-10-2009, 09:04 AM
The 3 is the most effective and productive shot in basketball for pro players who can hit at least 33% of their shots vs. 50% of 2 pt shots.

That's why the short jumper has fallen out of fashion.

coyotes_geek
11-10-2009, 09:17 AM

Seeing Dice or Blair or whichever big wasn't on Bosh trying to chase Hedo or Bargnani around the 3 point line would not have been pretty. With the Spurs being shorthanded last night they had to play Toronto's game and having RJ at the 4 worked better for that.

SpurNation
11-10-2009, 09:30 AM

:lol Gotta love the attitude. Jefferson was every bit as important in that game as the phenominal performance that Ginobili had.

And at times...Jefferson at the 4 will be the best option. Especially playing against some of the more athletic bigs in the league.

mingus
11-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Ginobili looked really, really good. the only issue i have with him is he's playing like he did before and i'm worried his stress fracture will come back. he said he would take more mid-range shots, and i've yet to see that. maybe once he gets his shot back ... it's exciting as hell to watch i just hope the training staff is taking all the necessary precautions with him.

mingus
11-10-2009, 09:53 AM
one thing i took from this game is that Hill still looks uncomfortable (prob. a light word to use) handling the point when the opposing team is doing a full-court press. he looked Beno-esque at the end there. in the playoffs he's going to have to face that. hopefully he can handle it because he brings so much else to the table and you wouldn't want to lose that.

ManuTastic
11-10-2009, 10:10 AM
The 3 is the most effective and productive shot in basketball for pro players who can hit at least 33% of their shots vs. 50% of 2 pt shots.

That's all true, but I am starting to think they should shoot fewer 3s as opposed to driving to the hole (either being better than the short jumper). Seeing manu, jefferson and hill successfully driving the lane last night reminded me of all that gets you that the 3-ball doesn't: free throws and, just as importantly, energy for your team and demoralization for the opponents. Not that a timely 3 isn't energizing, but getting inside for some hoop and harm just knocks the wind out of the other side like nothing else. God it was good to see Jefferson driving, especially going coast to coast for the lay-in. Man we've needed more athleticism on this squad for way too long.

ElNono
11-10-2009, 10:33 AM

I'll argue the layup is... thus the necessity of protecting the paint...

elbamba
11-10-2009, 11:46 AM
16 FT attemps.

Yes, but only about 5-6 pf those came from taking the ball to the hoop. Manu received three from his three point attemp, another for the technical and about 6 from being bumped away from the basket. I am happy for Manu and hope he keeps it up. However, I have noticed that he settles for three pointers.

SpurNation
11-10-2009, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't say "settles" for 3 pointers more so than takes advantage of what the defense is allowing. By all means...Manu is one of the best 3 point shooters on the team...if they are going to give it to him I'm sure Pop is OK with him letting it fly.

Dex
11-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Ginobili finished with 36 points on 15 shots in 32 minutes.

Thats 1.125 points a minute.

Thats 2.4 points per shot.

That is Ginobili-eque efficiency. Just to see flashes of it is extremely encouraging, because we know he's still capable. Now he's just got to work on getting there more consistently.

elbamba
11-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Ginobili finished with 36 points on 16 shots in 32 minutes.

Thats 1.125 points a minute.

Thats 2.25 points per shot.

That is Ginobili-eque efficiency. Just to see flashes of it is extremely encouraging, because we know he's still capable. Now he's just got to work on getting their more consistently.

I agree and I am certainly happy to see him put up a 30 point game.

Manufan909
11-10-2009, 02:15 PM
I agree and I am certainly happy to see him put up a 40 point game.

fixed... we average up in my country.:ihit