PDA

View Full Version : I Love Small Ball!

ceperez
11-10-2009, 06:45 AM
Nice up tempo game against the Raptors. Never a moment of boredom. Did you guys feel that every quarter was so much longer? Both teams scored at least 30 points per quarter. It was like a tennis match.

Would love to see more Spurs games like this. It's great entertainment!

I mean, the Raptors were 59.2% from the field and 64.7% from the 3 point line (note: the Spurs were 10 percentage points lower) and we still won!

Everything though seems to hinge on Manu. He coordinates all the offense. Our bigs need him to set them up for a score though. Mason and Hill don't seem to have the experience to know how to set our bigs up. McDyess doesn't seem to have a post up game. Same with both Bonner and Ratliff. I think even with Duncan, I'm concerned when he posts up.

Route the game through Manu and chaos happens.

Not sure though if this wins championships, but just like the Suns have shown, it's a lot of fun!

ShoogarBear
11-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Not sure though if this wins championships

just like the Suns have shown

Solid D
11-10-2009, 10:54 AM
The games tend to seem longer when they take longer and they tend to take longer when the officials call 50 to 60 fouls in a game.

Riverwalkman
11-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Hello you Suns fan.

rjv
11-10-2009, 11:41 AM
is that you nellie ?

Oh, Gee!!
11-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Not sure though if this wins championships, but just like the Suns have shown, it's a lot of fun!

and isn't that the most important thing anyway?

SamoanTD
11-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Hello you Suns fan.
exactly

ffadicted
11-10-2009, 04:43 PM
I Love Casual Fans!

superjames1992
11-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Manu does seem to shine in these types of games, from what I've seen. I've always thought he would have been a good fit for Dantonio's Suns.

Jimcs50
11-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Spurs had 16 ORB to Toronto's 5, that is 11 more shots...that is why the Spurs won. Also they had 5 fewer TOs. But can you count on that each game? We need to play better D to win over the long haul...nuff said

FromWayDowntown
11-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Spurs had 16 ORB to Toronto's 5, that is 11 more shots...that is why the Spurs won. Also they had 5 fewer TOs. But can you count on that each game? We need to play better D to win over the long haul...nuff said

Certainly correct analysis.

But I'm also certain this is not what the OP was looking for, given his near-daily castigation of Popovich for straying from an apparently formulaic approach to "Spurs basketball," which seemingly has always included a second big man capable of dominating games on both ends AND extremely long small forwards.

The Truth #6
11-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Yes, this post struck me as sarcastic. And a bit forced.

I don't think the Spurs are trying to be small, I just think it's a consequence of a different goal, which is to stack the team with 3 point shooters. And when I say that I'm considering this as a trend for the last few years. I realize we have a few less bombers this year.

Stat geeks have determined that the 3 pointer correlates with overall success, or at least that's what I've heard (I don't analyze the data.) I remember reading an article a while back that gave a glimpse into our research into this matter.

Anyway, that's just another theory. I'm not saying it's necesarilly correct.

ulosturedge
11-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Do we have any other choice? Can either get man-handled trying to pretend we have an adequate "bigs" lineup, or we can try to counter our weakness by trying to create mismatch problems on their end as well. I still don't see this working in the playoffs though. One can only hope...

mystargtr34
11-10-2009, 08:28 PM
I hate them.

I hate it every time the oppositon scores more than 25 ponts in a quarter And i hate it when they shoot 45% in a game, ad i hate it when they score over 100 points.

I enjoy a win regardless - but a win like last night against the Ratpors is often fools gold.

AussieFanKurt
11-10-2009, 08:51 PM
we wouldnt keep up with real run and gun teams