PDA

View Full Version : Foul by Hedo at End of Game

mingus
11-10-2009, 08:19 AM
looking back at that, and the way Hedo and Manu were talking and joking right after it, i think Hedo did it on purpose so that he could get a standing O for Manu because of the way he played.

just an observation and opinion.

Riverwalkman
11-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Maybe he was just attempting to make Spurs final score above 130, as a gift to his ex-team.

ceperez
11-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Spurs were such cheap bastards for not matching Hedo's salary when we still had him.

I mean, yeah we went with cheaper Brent Barry.

FromWayDowntown
11-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Spurs were such cheap bastards for not matching Hedo's salary when we still had him.

You are certainly blessed with the clarity of hindsight and the wisdom of relying upon it.

At the time when the Spurs were considering whether to match Hedo's salary, he was coming off an abysmal playoff series against LA (for those who don't remember, he shot 26% from the floor in that series, 29% from 3 (on 28 attempts over 6 games), and averaged 6.2 ppg) and the Spurs were facing down a need to resign Manu that summer -- and give him starter's minutes (remember, Manu came off the bench behind Turkoglu, but started for most of 2004-05) -- to resign Parker the next summer, and to resign Duncan sometime thereafter.

After a year to look at Hedo, and after seeing him come up small against LA, I'm not sure that IN THE MOMENT, choosing to let Hedo go over 6/$39M was considered by many to have been a bad decision. Particularly given that the replacements they found sport a couple of rings and played key roles in winning those rings.

completely deck
11-10-2009, 10:12 AM
They're friends, he meant no harm. Notice also he did it and then took a seat. He was just messing around.

rjv
11-10-2009, 10:52 AM
hedo is hilarious. hope the best for him in toronto.

urunobili
11-10-2009, 10:53 AM
It was the most points scored on a regular season game on the Popovich era...

panic giraffe
11-10-2009, 11:01 AM
You are certainly blessed with the clarity of hindsight and the wisdom of relying upon it.

At the time when the Spurs were considering whether to match Hedo's salary, he was coming off an abysmal playoff series against LA (for those who don't remember, he shot 26% from the floor in that series, 29% from 3 (on 28 attempts over 6 games), and averaged 6.2 ppg) and the Spurs were facing down a need to resign Manu that summer -- and give him starter's minutes (remember, Manu came off the bench behind Turkoglu, but started for most of 2004-05) -- to resign Parker the next summer, and to resign Duncan sometime thereafter.

After a year to look at Hedo, and after seeing him come up small against LA, I'm not sure that IN THE MOMENT, choosing to let Hedo go over 6/$39M was considered by many to have been a bad decision. Particularly given that the replacements they found sport a couple of rings and played key roles in winning those rings.

so true, and at the time mr. holt & co. weren't looking to go on a spending spree like this year. that summer he just seemed like too much of a gamble, and one that would favor his own pocketbook instead of the organization.

but as for the foul last night, and the smile that came afterwards, he was just trying to get a fan reaction, and he did, hey in a league full of big ego's its nice to know that someone is still trying to get the crowd's attention...

ceperez
11-10-2009, 11:03 AM

Spurs formula, oversized SF. Let's see Sean E lliot , Steven Jackson then Hedo Turkoglu. Not Brent Barry. Barry (the replacement) was $5M per season, Hedo was at 6.5m a season but he was

(1) Taller
(2) Younger
(3) Better Defensively

The deal was obviously wrong then and still wrong now.

So you can't tell me that we didn't have the money.

FromWayDowntown
11-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Spurs formula, oversized SF. Let's see Sean E lliot , Steven Jackson then Hedo Turkoglu. Not Brent Barry. Barry (the replacement) was $5M per season, Hedo was at 6.5m a season but he was

(1) Taller
(2) Younger
(3) Better Defensively

You are really hung up on the idea that everything the Spurs do is formulaic. It's pretty bizarre -- to say nothing of it being complete fiction in this instance.

Nevertheless, you do realize, don't you, that the Spurs won two titles after jettisoning the 6'10" small forward who couldn't hit water from a boat in the 2004 playoffs, right? Curiously, what the Spurs did in the summer of 2004 was find a starting spot for their dynamic wing player, Manu Ginobili, put him alongside a remarkably UNDERSIZED small forward -- Bruce Bowen -- (though, I suppose that if you wanted to call Manu the SF, they were still undersized at that position) and brought in Brent Barry and Devin Brown to fill in the gaps. And it worked.

But I'm sure that had the Spurs come up short in 2005 and 2007, but were better at the SF in 2009, you'd have been cool with that outcome. After all, at least the Spurs would have stuck to this "formula" that you're so certain exists and wouldn't have sold out to win titles or anything.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-10-2009, 11:26 AM
You are really hung up on the idea that everything the Spurs do is formulaic. It's pretty bizarre -- to say nothing of it being complete fiction in this instance.

Nevertheless, you do realize, don't you, that the Spurs won two titles after jettisoning the 6'10" small forward who couldn't hit water from a boat in the 2004 playoffs, right? Curiously, what the Spurs did in the summer of 2004 was find a starting spot for their dynamic wing player, Manu Ginobili, put him alongside a remarkably UNDERSIZED small forward -- Bruce Bowen -- (though, I suppose that if you wanted to call Manu the SF, they were still undersized at that position) and brought in Brent Barry and Devin Brown to fill in the gaps. And it worked.

But I'm sure that had the Spurs come up short in 2005 and 2007, but were better at the SF in 2009, you'd have been cool with that outcome. After all, at least the Spurs would have stuck to this "formula" that you're so certain exists and wouldn't have sold out to win titles or anything.

:tuToo much sense in one post.

Giving Hedo the full MLE in 2004 was like giving Mason the full MLE after last season - something that very few would even think of. What happens or nor 5 years from the moment of the deal is irrelevant and doesn't make the decision wrong. Going with Barry was the much wiser choice and it payed off and the fact that Hedo finally got it going in the final year of his contract means jack shit.

Ice009
11-10-2009, 11:58 AM

(1) Taller
(2) Younger
(3) Better Defensively

Hedo Choked hard. I was pissed and for 39 million there is no way I wanted him back. I wanted to punch him square in the face after that series. Manu should have been starting and he finally got the start in the second half of game 6 after Hedo had another abysmal game. There was no way the Spurs were going to give him 39 million to sit on the bench behind Manu. Manu was going to start and Hedo was awful when he was coming in off of the bench. It wouldn't have been a problem to pay him that money, but he proved that he wasn't any good coming in off of the bench so 39 million is pretty expensive for an unproductive bench player.

I wanted Jackson back after that series. I didn't want anything to do with Hedo. I still want Jackson back now way before Hedo.

angelbelow
11-10-2009, 01:52 PM

(1) Taller
(2) Younger
(3) Better Defensively

While that is true, i'm not sure the spurs screwed up there.

Barry was a better shooter, passer/playmaker, locker room guy, and had some experience.

Turk i think was 0-10 in his final game and appeared to be an average player.

In that moment I would have done the same thing.

FromWayDowntown
11-10-2009, 02:06 PM

Not 0-10 in his final game, but 0-5. In that series against LA, he was 13-50 from the floor, including 0-fers in Games 1 (0-6) and 6 (0-5). He also peppered in a 1-7 in Game 3 and 3-10 in Game 5.

Game 1: 0-6
Game 2: 4-8
Game 3: 1-7
Game 4: 5-14
Game 5: 3-10
Game 6: 0-5

Without his 4-8 in Game 2, he shot 9-42 for the series, a blazing 21.4%. If you take out his high-volume, low percentage effort in Game 4, he shot 8-36, a much hotter 22.2% for the series.

ChumpDumper
11-10-2009, 02:07 PM

(1) Taller
(2) Younger
(3) Better Defensively

So you can't tell me that we didn't have the money.When the salary cap and unrenounced free agent values are taken into account, we really didn't have the money re-sign Manu and match Hedo's offer.

FromWayDowntown
11-10-2009, 02:07 PM
And I'm still fascinated to hear more about the Spurs' "long small forward" formula during an era in which Bruce Bowen (or maybe Manu Ginobili) have played the vast majority of the minutes at the 3 spot.

Summers
11-10-2009, 02:08 PM
I think Hedo did what his coach told him to do. Call me crazy.

HarlemHeat37
11-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Hedo is severely overpaid and overrated..I still can't believe the Raptors gave him that contract..

Manufan909
11-10-2009, 02:21 PM

Giving Hedo the full MLE in 2004 was like giving Mason the full MLE after last season - something that very few would even think of. What happens or nor 5 years from the moment of the deal is irrelevant and doesn't make the decision wrong. Going with Barry was the much wiser choice and it payed off and the fact that Hedo finally got it going in the final year of his contract means jack shit.

If ceperez keeps arguing after that, it would be embarassingly hilarious. Someone let me know if he trys, as I won't be checking this thread anymore.
:p:

Mr.Robinson
11-10-2009, 04:00 PM

Reason we lost to LA.

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-10-2009, 04:02 PM
maybe just so that he can sit on the bench for 3 seconds

KenziE
11-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Not 0-10 in his final game, but 0-5. In that series against LA, he was 13-50 from the floor, including 0-fers in Games 1 (0-6) and 6 (0-5). He also peppered in a 1-7 in Game 3 and 3-10 in Game 5.

Game 1: 0-6
Game 2: 4-8
Game 3: 1-7
Game 4: 5-14
Game 5: 3-10
Game 6: 0-5

Without his 4-8 in Game 2, he shot 9-42 for the series, a blazing 21.4%. If you take out his high-volume, low percentage effort in Game 4, he shot 8-36, a much hotter 22.2% for the series.

wow im impressed how the hell where you able to dig those figures ...

Manu and Hedo are good friends i think he just wanted to give manu the standing O from the crowd ....

ceperez
11-10-2009, 04:45 PM
wow im impressed how the hell where you able to dig those figures ...

Manu and Hedo are good friends i think he just wanted to give manu the standing O from the crowd ....

He didn't do spectacular but the player had shown promise with the Kings and did show promise during the regular season. I felt that we should have signed him back then, and still feel that way today. So I stand with my assessment that Turk would have been a better signup than Barry.

BOHOLANO#21
11-10-2009, 10:51 PM
He didn't do spectacular but the player had shown promise with the Kings and did show promise during the regular season. I felt that we should have signed him back then, and still feel that way today. So I stand with my assessment that Turk would have been a better signup than Barry.
i guess you're just an idiot turk lover.:bang

BOHOLANO#21
11-10-2009, 10:55 PM

agree 100%. Mason did a Hedo last season's playoff but at least he's paid cheap.

SouthTexasRancher
11-10-2009, 11:31 PM

Fail...! :td

SouthTexasRancher
11-10-2009, 11:32 PM
While that is true, i'm not sure the spurs screwed up there.

Barry was a better shooter, passer/playmaker, locker room guy, and had some experience.

In that moment I would have done the same thing.

:tu