PDA

View Full Version : So much for getting to see Hairston

Biggems
11-10-2009, 09:23 AM
I figured with Duncan and Parker out last night, I would get to see at least 8-10 minutes of Malik......but thanks to Pop, Malik went out like a small Texas town on a long drive........you blink and you miss his playtime.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Still managed a +/- of -7 in under a minute though :)

He'll come good eventually, but the guy's got a long way to go and he's not nearly as good as people want him to be.

coyotes_geek
11-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Had the magic 8-ball told Pop that Mason was going to shoot 0-4 last night then you probably would have seen more minutes for Hairston.

benefactor
11-10-2009, 09:42 AM
I would have like to seen more of him too...but as long as Bogans is playing well it seems unlikely.

Xevious
11-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Yeah... as good as the Spurs were on offense last night, it did nothing to answer questions or address or defensive issues. I know Ratliff got a few minutes, but I was hoping some of the other people on the bench would get some time.

FromWayDowntown
11-10-2009, 09:53 AM
The Spurs won the game, but damnit, they should have played Malik Hairston because that's what the fans want to see. Wins, schmins -- play Malik.

completely deck
11-10-2009, 10:10 AM
I figured with Duncan and Parker out last night, I would get to see at least 8-10 minutes of Malik......but thanks to Pop, Malik went out like a small Texas town on a long drive........you blink and you miss his playtime.

:violin

SenorSpur
11-10-2009, 10:45 AM
With less than 2 minutes remaining, Pop called off the dogs, sat down Manu and inserted Malik, with the Spurs up by double-digits. The Spurs then proceeded to give up a couple of quick baskets and a double-digit lead got cut to within 7. Pop calls timeout and re-inserts Manu back into the game, diagrams a play to help protect the lead. While the issue of losing the lead wasn't Malik's fault, I believe we would've seen more of him, had that not occurred.

Still, I'd like to see Malik used, as an energy lift, for short stretches, on occasion. Perhaps 8-10 mins per game. He could certainly "eat up" a small portion of Finley's minutes.

If Pop expects to eventually turn the defensive and rebounding deficiencies on this team, at some point, he's going to have to put his better defenders on the floor. Poor defensive players only compound the issues we're seeing.

coyotes_geek
11-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Hairston's problem is that he only gets to dress when there's an injury. One thing for Pop to steer some minutes Hairston's way if he's on the active roster. Another when Pop has to put Bogans, Mason or Finley on the inactive list so that he can put Malik on the active roster.

FromWayDowntown
11-10-2009, 11:02 AM
With less than 2 minutes remaining, Pop called off the dogs, sat down Manu and inserted Malik, with the Spurs up by double-digits. The Spurs then proceeded to give up a couple of quick baskets and a double-digit lead got cut to within 7. Pop calls timeout and re-inserts Manu back into the game, diagrams a play to help protect the lead. While the issue of losing the lead wasn't Malik's fault, I believe we would've seen more of him, had that not occurred.

Still, I'd like to see Malik used, as an energy lift, for short stretches, on occasion. Perhaps 8-10 mins per game. He could certainly "eat up" a small portion of Finley's minutes.

If Pop expects to eventually turn the defensive and rebounding deficiencies on this team, at some point, he's going to have to put his better defenders on the floor. Poor defensive players only compound the issues we're seeing.

Even with a depleted roster, Finley only got 15 minutes last night. I suspect that we're moving closer and closer to a point where Finley will, at most, a 10 minutes per night guy, whether he starts or not.

Over the last 4 games, Finley's only averaging 15.2 mpg.

benefactor
11-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Even with a depleted roster, Finley only got 15 minutes last night. I suspect that we're moving closer and closer to a point where Finley will, at most, a 10 minutes per night guy, whether he starts or not.

:tu

Perhaps Pop is learning to let go.

mountainballer
11-10-2009, 11:43 AM
to be fair, Finley was the only wing who hit his 3s.
(before last nights Manu show it really looked poor in this department)

SenorSpur
11-10-2009, 11:43 AM

If only...

Hopefully a few DNP-CDs are in Finley's future.

FromWayDowntown
11-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't know if DNP-CD'ing Finley makes a lot of sense. I think there's a role for him on this team and I think if it's appropriately limited, he can make a significant contribution. But it's pretty clear to me that his role is not to play 20-25 minutes and close games.

coyotes_geek
11-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I don't know if DNP-CD'ing Finley makes a lot of sense. I think there's a role for him on this team and I think if it's appropriately limited, he can make a significant contribution. But it's pretty clear to me that his role is not to play 20-25 minutes and close games.

Exactly. Finley is really shooting the ball well, and right now there aren't more than 1 or 2 guys on the team other than him who can say that. If Finley can keep knocking down 3's at a 40%+ clip then I've got no problems with him getting +/- 15 min a night.

ceperez
11-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Exactly. Finley is really shooting the ball well, and right now there aren't more than 1 or 2 guys on the team other than him who can say that. If Finley can keep knocking down 3's at a 40%+ clip then I've got no problems with him getting +/- 15 min a night.

Agree... there's no better player on the team that can hit the 3 with his accuracy. However, he should never handle the ball or attack the rim. All he should ever do is camp on his spot and wait for his defender to leave him open.

Now he'll be even more effective if he learns to take his shot 2 feet further away from the 3 point line just like what Barry did and what Mason is trying to do.

Dex
11-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Agree... there's no better player on the team that can hit the 3 with his accuracy. However, he should never handle the ball or attack the rim. All he should ever do is camp on his spot and wait for his defender to leave him open.

Now he'll be even more effective if he learns to take his shot 2 feet further away from the 3 point line just like what Barry did and what Mason is trying to do.

A shot from 26 feet, even open, is usually not a very good shot. Sometimes Mason jacks it up from out there even when he's got the room to step forward, and what happens? Clank off the front of the rim.

23 feet, 9 inches is far enough for a shot.

Dex
11-10-2009, 12:25 PM
That reminds me, I had a dream last night where Tim threw up a heat check from about 30 feet. Even my dream self was totally confused.

Pink elephants and underwater cars? Doesn't phase dream Dex on bit. But even in my subconscious, I know Tim Duncan doesn't chuck bad shots. :lol

SenorSpur
11-10-2009, 12:27 PM
A shot from 26 feet, even open, is usually not a very good shot. Sometimes Mason jacks it up from out there even when he's got the room to step forward, and what happens? Clank off the front of the rim.

23 feet, 9 inches is far enough for a shot.

Seems to me that Mason rushes a lot of shots. Don't know if this is because he's now a reserve. Still his accuracy and shot selection should be questioned.

angelbelow
11-10-2009, 01:47 PM

lol we won the game. it was close through out, i thought it was smart to play guys that you know forsure can get it done. with that said i wouldnt have minded malik play 8-10, just the situation during the game just wasnt right. seriously what more do you have to bitch about.

SamoanTD
11-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Cant test out malik on a game we can win lol

coyotes_geek
11-10-2009, 01:57 PM

There's no need to take shots 2 feet behind the 3 point line when you're getting clean looks right at the 3 point line. Especially if all he's doing out there is waiting to be left open.

lefty
11-10-2009, 02:02 PM

Perhaps Pop is learning to let go.
Not so fast !!!!!

Pop is going CIA.
He'll let the other NBA coaches think that he is gradually benching him, but he will give Finley 55 mpg in the playoffs !!! :bang

SamoanTD
11-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Mason needs to go back to his corner threes and then when he gets comfortable start shooting those Manu threes that he's trying to shoot

HarlemHeat37
11-10-2009, 02:10 PM
The problem remains that Finley and Mason are the exact same player and shouldn't be in the rotation together, at least IMO..1 of them is enough..Finley made some shots last night, but his defense was bad, as usual..Mason was just all-around bad..you just can't put 2 perimeter players that do NOTHING positive when their shot isn't falling, and they become complete liabilities..

One of them playing 10 MPG is enough, it shouldn't be both..they're both playing 20 MPG right now, or around it..

The annoying part about last night was that Sonny Weems got to play and make an impact..Hairston and Weems were matched up in a SL for the majority of the game..Weems went 2 for 16 and had his shot blocked by Hairston at least twice, while Malik went for 17 points on him..

Spurs Brazil
11-10-2009, 02:21 PM
The problem remains that Finley and Mason are the exact same player and shouldn't be in the rotation together, at least IMO..1 of them is enough..Finley made some shots last night, but his defense was bad, as usual..Mason was just all-around bad..you just can't put 2 perimeter players that do NOTHING positive when their shot isn't falling, and they become complete liabilities..

One of them playing 10 MPG is enough, it shouldn't be both..they're both playing 20 MPG right now, or around it..

The annoying part about last night was that Sonny Weems got to play and make an impact..Hairston and Weems were matched up in a SL for the majority of the game..Weems went 2 for 16 and had his shot blocked by Hairston at least twice, while Malik went for 17 points on him..

Agree, Mason or Finley should be playing 10-15 minutes. Those 2 in rotation kill our D

ulosturedge
11-10-2009, 04:10 PM
The problem is our issues are on defense not on offense. We need less offensive minded players out there and more defensive minded players.

Thats why i'm always on the Malik bandwagon any chance I get.

xtremesteven33
11-10-2009, 04:12 PM
We need Finleys contract...not Finley.

AussieFanKurt
11-10-2009, 04:15 PM

If only...

Hopefully a few DNP-CDs are in Finley's future.

ha do you really think thats going to happen with Pop