PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on Spurs big men

Riverwalkman
11-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Happy to see Ginobili had a big night, George Hill played like an all-star, RJ getting in system, but I think those things are bond to happen sooner or later, Spurs main problem is the big men. Here are my thoughts (I'm a Chinese so it may contain awkward phrases, pls ignore those errors and understand my thoughts :toast):

-The last game, finally, Bonner did not start for the first time, he had a career game but you can't count on that everynight. The only reason he did not start is the absence of Duncan, spreading foor is only something for a defense/offense pivot like Duncan, so I think when Duncan's back, Matt will be back to starting lineup, however his defense, which never changes, is still bad.

-Theo Ratliff played center in a small lineup and he looked a bit rusty, his move was right but his physical was obvious not there, and starting brought him some pressure too. Just give him some time and not force the issue, the veteran needs some time to warm up.

-McDyess played about half time and I think he did pretty well, he was showing his quickness and rebounding, this is what I was most concerned, despite lack of length when defend Chris Bosh. He's defensive step is working on a progress, as Spurs ultimate opponent is LA, Dallas, Nuggets, Dice needs to play along with Duncan to make Spurs paint big and strong. Small ball is just a strategy in transition.

Also notice that McDyess delivered some nice pass at high post position, this reminded me of Oberto, who is a very good player along with Duncan. High-low is an effective play to help Duncan when someone is denying in front of him.

I think McDyess will play with his full strength in the 2nd half of the season, then Bonner's playing time will be less. Since Dice can shoot from 22,23 inches away, pass at the high post eara, box out and grab rebounds, play interior one on one defense, he is going to play significant time along with Duncan, Spurs will not be small.

-Blair is a beast on boards again and again, he has a Dennis Rodman's sense on glass, but today's league is much different than 90s, Power Forwards are at least 6'8, Blair's lack of length is clear when playing against player like Bosh, and evidently he can never play SF like other undersized PFs, How is his future like? I can't fighure it out. However, it's good to have such a backup "bigman" on roster.

SamoanTD
11-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Blair will do just fine against other teams he might be short but he still gets boards just by hustle

TinTin
11-10-2009, 03:59 PM
How is dice strength wise defending the paint? I havent seen a lot of dice defending the post (only seen his jumpers and rebounds) to estimate his strength.

But I think I heard the to commentators say chris bosh put on 20 pounds this summer. So obviously bosh would have his way one way or the other

SpurNation
11-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Everybody guarding Bosh had problems and were foul prone. That will happen sometimes against a player like Bosh.

However our bigs need to be given somewhat a break. The defensive scheme of the Spurs places more responsibility on them for the position they play than any other nba team. They are asked to cheat out from the paint as well as adjust to weakside coverage in a matter of a blink of an eye.

Many times it looks as if they are the one getting beat in the paint because they are trying to get back into position from having to expand their defensive position from the paint. (One reason why Bonner looks out of place on many occasions.)

Remember...these new guys on the team have never had to play in a system like this. If they have any assemblance of athletic ability...they will eventually catch on and be fine. I believe thay have the talent. And after the rotations get solidified...we'll see improvements.

lefty
11-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Blair and Dice are gooooooooood, but thay are small bigs

Bukefal
11-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Blair and Dice are gooooooooood, but thay are small bigs

This new sig is even better!

jason1301
11-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Other than Timmy, we don't have anyone that stands out. Dice is the best of the rest but Pop needs to monitor his minutes. Blair is a beast, but he is a rookie. Bonner can shoot but he can't defend. Ian is a bust, and Theo can defend the basket but can't score.

The way I see it, and I hate to talk about trades. If we could get another quality big then TD, Dice, Blair and that guy could be our big men rotation. Which makes Bonner, and maybe even Roger Mason or Fin expandable. I will be happy with TP, Manu, Hill and Fin or Mason play 1-2 and RJ/Bogans the 3.

Injuries will prevent Pop from having such a short rotation, but oh well. If all goes well we could do that during the playoffs.

Dice
11-10-2009, 05:44 PM
McDyess is a quality big man. He needs more minutes to produce. Limit his minutes and you limit his production. Until he starts getting starter minutes, you won't really see anything special from him.

After last nights game though, I can see why he's not starting yet. He's still learning and was getting coached while on the floor. soon enough I think he'll be starting and then all the talk about the need for another big man will slow.