PDA

View Full Version : Workout & Diet

koriwhat
11-10-2009, 12:57 PM
what's your workout like? exercises you do, routine, ect...?

personally i am on a do-it-as-you-like type routine atm. i workout 3 to 4 days a wk for an hr at a time. my diet consists of practically anything i can eat outside of the-very-bad fast food and sweets(though i do indulge at time). i also take a supplement shake twice a day, it says i take in 580 cal per shake.

Tues = Chest & Arms
Wed = Legs
Thu = Chest & Arms

i am slowly getting back into this whole working out thing so i am incorporating more and more exercises as i go.

my tues & thurs go bench pressing, incline bench, curls, tri-pulldowns(?), butterfly(?), both pulley fly exerise, shoulder pulldowns, shoulder pushups, dips and pull-ups.

i suck with terminology so give me time to research and get all my shit straight. haha.

then my wed workout goes calf pushdown, calf pushup, calf push, leg press.

i definitely need to read up terminology. hope you get the idea though.

stretch
11-10-2009, 01:02 PM
what you need to do is focuse you work out on only one or two muscle groups every day (and work the HELL out of them)

monday - chest
tuesday - shoulders
wednesday - back & abs
thursday - arms

use saturday for a leg workout, doing some cardio and sprints

you will see results pretty quickly if you do it right

The Reckoning
11-10-2009, 01:03 PM
dont eat anything and drink a shitload of coffee :tu

TheMACHINE
11-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Monday - Basketball, Ab Ripper x
Tuesday- Chest and Tricep
Wednesday - Basketball,
Thursday - Back and Bicep, Ab Ripper X
Friday - Shoulders and Legs

Also, when i do the weight lifting, i do its kind alike the way p90x does it...muscle confusion!

If you noticed too, i dont like working out two BIG muscle groups in one day.

The Reckoning
11-10-2009, 01:07 PM
when i workout, the machine gets stronger

TheMACHINE
11-10-2009, 01:07 PM
when i workout, themachine gets stronger

Thanks

The Reckoning
11-10-2009, 01:11 PM
:lol

Summers
11-10-2009, 01:13 PM

That's pretty close to my diet. :lol

Big P
11-10-2009, 01:16 PM

lol..wow..thats what I do..glad I'm not alone. :toast

florige
11-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Diet is sooo much the key it isn't funny. I used to hit the gym everyday (well still do) but I wasn't seeing the results I thought I should be seeing for a guy who was faithfully running 2 1/2 miles a day, and working pretty hard with the weights. It wasn't until I started eating right is when I started seeing the results I wanted. I actually followed the regime of Ryan Reynolds when he was super ripped for that Blade movie. Worked out pretty good. All these atkins, and shortcut gimmicks can all be averted if you just stick to a certain diet and are serious about it.

iilluzioN
11-10-2009, 01:17 PM
i eat anything i want.....

every other night I JOG before going to bed.... I jog about 3-6 miles sometimes...

I play basketball 3-4 times out of the week, and lift about twice a week

I dont think about food to much, I only eat with hungry

TheMACHINE
11-10-2009, 01:19 PM

every other night I JOG before going to bed.... I jog about 3-6 miles sometimes...

Yah lifting and cardio is perfect cuz the extra muscles cause you to lose extra calories daily.

florige
11-10-2009, 01:26 PM

Well you are still pretty young so you probably can eat what you want. Once you get on the wrong side of 30 like I am you have to watch it.

koriwhat
11-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Diet is sooo much the key it isn't funny. I used to hit the gym everyday (well still do) but I wasn't seeing the results I thought I should be seeing for a guy who was faithfully running 2 1/2 miles a day, and working pretty hard with the weights. It wasn't until I started eating right is when I started seeing the results I wanted. I actually followed the regime of Ryan Reynolds when he was super ripped for that Blade movie. Worked out pretty good. All these atkins, and shortcut gimmicks can all be averted if you just stick to a certain diet and are serious about it.

for my diet it's all about eating healthy food i suppose... because i am what you call too fuckin' lean. at the moment i am just trying to bulk up so anything i can get my hands on is what i am going to eat outside of fast food and sweets. i don't do any cardio unless i go out and play bball and that is rare these days.

florige
11-10-2009, 01:28 PM
for my diet it's all about eating healthy food i suppose... because i am what you call too fuckin' lean. at the moment i am just trying to bulk up so anything i can get my hands on is what i am going to eat outside of fast food and sweets. i don't do any cardio unless i go out and play bball and that is rare these days.

Do you eat alot of protein? Chicken, Fish, Protein bars, etc.....

I. Hustle
11-10-2009, 01:46 PM

What was this certain diet?

stretch
11-10-2009, 01:47 PM

if you need to bulk, then definitely try the workout i suggested

muscle is built in time spent resting, not time in the gym

so work them to death, then let them have the rest of the week to replenish

have plenty of protein in your diet, especially about 15-20 minutes after you finish working out, get yourself a whey protein shake

Summers
11-10-2009, 01:51 PM

Not to be all nerdy, but there's a really interesting time.com article from a couple months ago about diet, weight loss, and exercise. It basically said now that some long-term studies have been done, they think it's not exercise or necessarily how/what you eat, but rather simply that you lose weight and keep your weight low that is the key to health. The only long-term benefit from exercise is cardiac strength. They said in long-term studies, exercise increases appetite and calorie consumption (either as a true physiological response or a psychological response--they're not sure) and usually people will "reward" themselves for jogging or whatever by consuming far more calories than they burned off with the jog. The new thinking is you'd be better off not having the oatmeal muffin from Starbucks and just staying home knitting. Anyway, you can look it up if you want. It was a really interesting article.

lefty
11-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Don't we have sticky for this ?????????????????????????????????????????

Rip-Hamilton32
11-10-2009, 01:57 PM
i have basketball every morning 7 til 8:30 then after school from 3 til 6 but i never lift weights but i am a cardio freak

I. Hustle
11-10-2009, 01:58 PM
I pretty much eat whatever I want and never excercise. The trick is to have a really really big penis.

lefty
11-10-2009, 01:58 PM
i have basketball every morning 7 til 8:30 then after school from 3 til 6 but i never lift weights but i am a cardio freak
Sounds like Rip Hamilton's new routine

florige
11-10-2009, 01:59 PM
What was this certain diet?

Nothing that Cosmic Cowboy post in his threads. :lol Nah but just little stuff, like no mayo for my tuna fish, cut back on all the bread. When I ate salads I used ketchup or mustard instead of ranch dressing. Cut back on all the fruity high sugar drinks. Piled up on veggies when I ate chicken verses eating chips or Doritos. And it was really hard for me because I love to eat really bad. But once I started seeing the results I wanted I feel bad when I do cheat once and a while. lol It certainly takes some patience because when you are hungry the last thing you think about is a freaking salad. You want the closest food there which is usually something that isn't good if you are on a special diet.

Not to be all nerdy, but there's a really interesting time.com article from a couple months ago about diet, weight loss, and exercise. It basically said now that some long-term studies have been done, they think it's not exercise or necessarily how/what you eat, but rather simply that you lose weight and keep your weight low that is the key to health. The only long-term benefit from exercise is cardiac strength. They said in long-term studies, exercise increases appetite and calorie consumption (either as a true physiological response or a psychological response--they're not sure) and usually people will "reward" themselves for jogging or whatever by consuming far more calories than they burned off with the jog. The new thinking is you'd be better off not having the oatmeal muffin from Starbucks and just staying home knitting. Anyway, you can look it up if you want. It was a really interesting article.

I will check it out. Thanks Summer!

lefty
11-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Nothing that Cosmic Cowboy post in his threads. :lol Nah but just little stuff, like no mayo for my tuna fish, cut back on all the bread. When I ate salads I used ketchup or mustard instead of ranch dressing. Cut back on all the fruity high sugar drinks. Piled up on veggies when I ate chicken verses eating chips or Doritos. And it was really hard for me because I love to eat really bad. But once I started seeing the results I wanted I feel bad when I do cheat once and a while. lol It certainly takes some patience because when you are hungry the last thing you think about is a freaking salad. You want the closest food there which is usually something that isn't good if you are on a special diet.

Good job ! :tu

But you don't have to cut out all breads!

I managed to lose weight while eating whole grain breads

I. Hustle
11-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Ketchup or mustard on salads? Is it good?

It would be hard for me to cut out all the junk. I love to eat junk food.

I. Hustle
11-10-2009, 02:06 PM

That would be the only thing to help me. I prefer whole grain as opposed to white bread.

lefty
11-10-2009, 02:14 PM

Not sure if it's good on salads, but it's healthy

Mustard is low fat and carb-ree

Ketchup has a liiiiiittle sugar, and it had tomato benefits

For salads, I either eat them without any dressing, or I use Kraf fat-free dressings

That would be the only thing to help me. I prefer whole grain as opposed to white bread.
It not only tastes better (well, depends on the brand), but it's healthier

florige
11-10-2009, 02:17 PM

Oh yeah I understand that. I can't do that no carb crap without feeling like I am going to pass out. You are right on about the wheat bread though!

It takes some getting used to. I usually just use the Ketchup or mustard as dipping on the side. I don't put it over the salad.

Trust me dude I KNOW where you are coming from. See alot of people make the mistake of setting a day to just stop eating junk food altogether which normally is a recipe for failure. I just gradually stopped eating them by eating less of them verses a entire $3.29 bag of cool ranch Doritos. lol

florige
11-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Not sure if it's good on salads, but it's healthy

Mustard is low fat and carb-ree

Ketchup has a liiiiiittle sugar, and it had tomato benefits

For salads, I either eat them without any dressing, or I use Kraf fat-free dressings

It not only tastes better (well, depends on the brand), but it's healthier

What Kraft Free do you use man? All the ones I have tried taste like crap?

lefty
11-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Oh yeah I understand that. I can't do that no carb crap without feeling like I am going to pass out. You are right on about the wheat bread though!

Yep; plus, people who try the no-carb diet are usually grumpy, tired, in a bad mood.
And no carb at all = adios hair !

What Kraft Free do you use man? All the ones I have tried taste like crap?

I don't remember exactly: one with balsamic vinegar and one mostly with olive oil

I'll check when I get home

florige
11-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Yep; plus, people who try the no-carb diet are usually grumpy, tired, in a bad mood.
And no carb at all = adios hair !

I don't remember exactly: one with balsamic vinegar and one mostly with olive oil

I'll check when I get home

Damn I didn't know that man about the carbs and hair. :lol Plus I bet you can acct for that diet drinks and healthy food taste alot better than they did a long time ago. I am addicted to that AquaFina flavored grape water.

lefty
11-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Damn I didn't know that man about the carbs and hair. :lol Plus I bet you can acct for that diet drinks and healthy food taste alot better than they did a long time ago. I am addicted to that AquaFina flavored grape water.
You know what?

I'd been drinking diet sodas for the last 2 years, almost everyday.

I've recently started to notice a little hair loss and tooth erosion.
I Googled it up, and it seems to be caused by sodas and any carbonated drink :wow

I stopped drinking them and my hair is back, and my teeth are fine.

I'm siticking with water.

koriwhat
11-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Do you eat alot of protein? Chicken, Fish, Protein bars, etc.....

i eat a ton of protein... chicken and fish are pretty much my daily with the exception of turkey and ham plus 2 shakes a day.

protein, protein and more protein is my motto right now.

koriwhat
11-10-2009, 02:48 PM

7 grain or regular wheat is what i like. i also don't drink sodas really and haven't for well over 10 yrs now. pretty much if i am going to drink a soda it is going to be sprite, 7up or the occasional pepsi caffeine free one i can get at my buddies house, other then that it's water.

11-10-2009, 02:56 PM
I do this (http://www.crossfit.com/), supplemented with this (http://www.anaerobicendurance.com/) and work at adhering to this. (http://www.paleodiet.com/)

florige
11-10-2009, 02:58 PM
You know what?

I'd been drinking diet sodas for the last 2 years, almost everyday.

I've recently started to notice a little hair loss and tooth erosion.
I Googled it up, and it seems to be caused by sodas and any carbonated drink :wow

I stopped drinking them and my hair is back, and my teeth are fine.

I'm siticking with water.

Dude GTFO! I had started to notice my hair starting to thin and I just started chalking it up to getting older or something. But I found it weird because my Mom, nor my dad has thinning hair. My dad has more hair than me and he is 60. I know they said that baldness comes from the mom;s side, but if I think back, around the time my barber told me that my hair was starting to look thinner was around the time I started downing these diet sodas.

lefty
11-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Dude GTFO! I had started to notice my hair starting to thin and I just started chalking it up to getting older or something. But I found it weird because my Mom, nor my dad has thinning hair. My dad has more hair than me and he is 60. I know they said that baldness comes from the mom;s side, but if I think back, around the time my barber told me that my hair was starting to look thinner was around the time I started downing these diet sodas.
Interesting

Cut out carbonated drinks, and let me know in a few days/weeks if there is any difference.

Jimcs50
11-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Tradmill 4.6 mph at 6-8 incline for 40 mins, 5 days a week.

Weights 3 days a week

pullups at home every day.

I can do 30 pullups. :smokin

florige
11-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Tradmill 4.6 mph at 6-8 incline for 40 mins, 5 days a week.

Weights 3 days a week

pullups at home every day.

I can do 30 pullups. :smokin

Thats pretty impressive. I may can get out 20 on a good day.

EmptyMan
11-11-2009, 10:24 AM
My workouts have been spotty as hell during these past 2 months of school.

Mon-Wed: Run 3 Miles a day.
Friday: Squats + Back
Saturday: Chest + Biceps
Sunday: Shoulders + Triceps

Really, this schedule is shit. I got tired (lazy) of working out out at 6 a.m. so I axed the leg day and just do squats on the front-end of the other workouts.

Squats are the most important exercise. For mainly just strength gains right now, I go heavy (~5 reps) and do them 2-3 times a week. Occassionaly I will do high rep sets to prevent me mentally from caving in after the routine 5th rep.

Back:
Deadlifts. I do these at the end of backday because Deadlifts completely wipe me out. I'm not rounding my back so I can label this a "back workout", I just think they hit the back really well. Squats are so brutal I don't really do Deadlifts with leg build as a concern. If I miss deadlifts, I will at least do Rack Pulls.
Also barbell rows, pullups, One-Arm Bent Over DB Rows, Lat pulldown, & seated cable rows, in order of most effective imo.

I'll do shrugs on either back day (if I have anything left) or shoulder day. Mainly Barbell Shrug w/ occasional db shrug.

Chest:
Barbell Bench Press, Incline DB Press, Decline Barbell Press, Cable Flyes (high-to-low), Dips.

Bicep:
Seated Incline One Arm Alternating DB Curl, One Arm DB Preacher Curl (occasional EZ curl bar), and mix in all the other boring stuff.

Shoulders:
Alternate between Seated DB Shoulder Press and Standing BB Shoulder Press, Barbell Front Raise, Lateral/Front DB Raises, Bent Over Rear Delt Raise (Cable)

Triceps:
Close grip bench press, cable pull downs, then mix in the other boring stuff.

Recently I started doing "Arm pulldowns" (I don't know what to call them) where I grab a standard Straight bar on the high cable while I keep my arms slightly bent extended out in front of me then I just bring the bar to under my waist trying to focus using the back of my arms instead of core/back. It burns the F out of my triceps.

pawe
11-11-2009, 11:46 AM
The only thing I hate about diet is the lack of available protein.
Chicken is the best but you just can't eat chicken everyday.
Tuna chunks are high in mercury content.
steak is high in cholesterol.
There's also beans, whey protein and yams.

florige
11-11-2009, 01:14 PM
The only thing I hate about diet is the lack of available protein.
Chicken is the best but you just can't eat chicken everyday.
Tuna chunks are high in mercury content.
steak is high in cholesterol.
There's also beans, whey protein and yams.

If I could I would eat grilled chicken EVERY day of the week if. There is nothing better than that when it is prepared right that is actually good for you.

rjv
11-11-2009, 02:58 PM
i get my cardio with my krav maga on thursdays and saturdays and then mix in some bike riding on sundays. monday is chest. tuesday, thursday and saturdays are biceps, triceps and shoulders and then friday is strictly working on core excercises.

diet i need to get better at but i do get daily fruit and grains. i try to be good with breakfast and lunch with yogurt or a fiber cereal for breakfast and fruit snacks and then sandwiches for lunch. dinner and weekends i pretty much wing but i do try to get as much vegetables as i can for dinner during the week. i do not drink sodas and prefer juices or water and during the week i avoid fries and chips.

the weekends i eat whatever i feel like.

florige
11-11-2009, 03:59 PM
i get my cardio with my krav maga on thursdays and saturdays and then mix in some bike riding on sundays. monday is chest. tuesday, thursday and saturdays are biceps, triceps and shoulders and then friday is strictly working on core excercises.

diet i need to get better at but i do get daily fruit and grains. i try to be good with breakfast and lunch with yogurt or a fiber cereal for breakfast and fruit snacks and then sandwiches for lunch. dinner and weekends i pretty much wing but i do try to get as much vegetables as i can for dinner during the week. i do not drink sodas and prefer juices or water and during the week i avoid fries and chips.

the weekends i eat whatever i feel like.

Yeah Sundays are normally my days to splurge.