PDA

View Full Version : SI.com Roundtable: Which team should be most concerned about slow start?

duncan228
11-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Roundtable (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/11/10/roundtable/index.html)

Four SI.com writers analyze the latest news and address hot topics from around the NBA each week. (All stats and records are through Nov. 9.)

2. The Spurs, Cavs, Jazz and Trail Blazers are all off to somewhat lethargic starts. Though it's early, which team should be most concerned?

Thomsen: It has to be the Spurs. Though it is indeed early, they've nonetheless been a big disappointment at the defensive end while enabling opponents to shoot 48.6 percent. Only five teams rate worse than San Antonio in that crucial indicator, and the Spurs will have no hope of overtaking the Lakers unless they ratchet up their defense to the championship level of previous seasons.

McCallum: Clearly it's the Cavs, with the Trail Blazers a distant second. The Spurs know how to jump-start themselves after midseason, and hopes weren't that high for the Jazz (who won a big game in New York on Monday night if there is such a thing as a big game in New York) even at the beginning of the season. They are just trying to be a playoff team. The best guess right now is that coach Cavs coach Mike Brown is losing sleep over how to best blend the talent of LeBron James and the experience of Shaquille O'Neal, especially with the Celtics playing like world-beaters.

Mannix: If I'm working in the Cleveland front office, I'm squirming a little in my seat. Shaq has been a disaster (a career-low 11.1 points and a regular seat on the bench in the fourth quarter) and it may get worse. I spoke to an executive from one of O'Neal's former teams last week and he warned that if things stay status quo in Cleveland, Shaq will start to divide the locker room. "It happened to us," the executive said. "It will happen to them." In the most important season in franchise history, the Cavs can't afford that.

Markazi: The Jazz have the most cause for concern mainly because they were a question mark to begin with. Carlos Boozer may not be a distraction anymore, but his presence limits the opportunities for Paul Millsap, who is averaging 8.3 points and 5.6 rebounds off the bench after signing a four-year, $32-million contract last summer. The biggest cause for concern, however, is that the Jazz are struggling defensively.

benefactor
11-10-2009, 02:32 PM
lol Thomsen. I guess he just expects all these new players to learn the system in a week and a half.

DBMethos
11-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Apparently we need to be concerned with overtaking the Lakers 6 games into the season.

lefty
11-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Of course it's the Cavs.

They have 4 new players who wear # 33

Chomag
11-10-2009, 02:40 PM
I am a bit concerned about our defense side of the ball. I know alot of you will just say chill out and that it's fine.

I never expected us to be even in the top 10 to start out but to be as low as 5th to the bottom of the barrel is in the danger zone especial from a team that prides itself on defense. There are alot of non-contenders(lottery bound) that are above us. I guess I expected them to not be very good, but not near this bad right now. IMO Thats not a good place where we want to start to build from to become greatness.

rjv
11-10-2009, 02:40 PM
the irony is that the spurs running the most complicated defensive scheme in the league often gets them to play some of the worst while the learning curve evolves.

duhoh
11-10-2009, 02:43 PM
when things click, we'll be rolling.

PDXSpursFan
11-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Spurs only concern should be TD knees

SpurNation
11-10-2009, 03:20 PM

As far as Spurs are concerned...This.

Even at a forgiving pace early in the season...Duncan has looked very sans-Duncan except for one game. After that game he looked gimpy and unable to perform at a high level.

Here's hoping all is right. Or will be alright. :toast

Man In Black
11-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Spurs seem to always start slow, why does this concern you newbies? Oh, that's right...you're newbies.

As for Thomsen, he picked the Spurs to win it all last season, assuming that the Big 3 was really, really healthy. This season he took the SAFE pick but he knows the Spurs are a threat.

Spursmania
11-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Thomsen is jumping the gun a bit. New players, a rookie and only 6 games played? You need a lot more than 5-6 games to establish an offensive and defensive rhythm, especially given the Spurs roster changes. Get with it dude.

coyotes_geek
11-10-2009, 03:41 PM

I'd expand that to include the rest of TD, plus all of TP & MG.

TinTin
11-10-2009, 03:51 PM
I'd expand that to include the rest of TD, plus all of TP & MG.

I think we can worry a little less on manu now. With that performance last night, I doubt he is below 90% healthy but then again he might have baron davised

ulosturedge
11-10-2009, 04:00 PM
It's not in the fact that the Spurs start slow(spurs have always been notorious for starting slow), but more in the factors that are contributing to their slow start. Yes, I agree as the season wears on rotations will be better and in consequence so will the team defense, but I think that will only get you so far. What worries me is the ceiling on our defense. More then likely it will only improve so much. Will that be enough to win a 5th Championship? Inevitably the age of our vets and the defensive makeup of our new guys could be too much to get our defense to championship form. If this is the case then the Spurs will have to reinvent themselves in some shape or form to make up for those inadequacies(deadly offense). Will it be enough.. I dunno...

timaios
11-10-2009, 04:49 PM
First 20 games of each season since Tim Duncan is a Spurs :

2008-09 12-8
2007-08 17-3
2006-07 15-5 --- NBA Champions
2005-06 16-4
2004-05 16-4 --- NBA Champions
2003-04 10-10
2002-03 12-8 --- NBA Champions
2001-02 16-4
2000-01 13-7
1999-00 14-6
1998-99 12-8 --- NBA Champions
1997-98 10-10

mountainballer
11-11-2009, 06:09 AM
should have waited for another week till they do this round up.
some of the potential underachiever teams teams have quite tough schedules ahead.

my thoughts:

Hornets could easily lose the next 3 (@Pho, POR, @ATL), then they would be 3-8.

Jazz are on a mini road trip and will lose at least 2 of the next 3 (@BOS, @PHI, @CLE), they will be 4-6 or 3-7 after this week.

Cavs have two super tough road games on b2b ahead (@ORL, @MIA) and could be 5-5 this weekend. but they should recover soon, they will have an easy schedule after this weekend till end of November, so no need to panic.

Spurs might struggle if Tim and Tony miss the next 2 games, but I don't expect them to lose against Thunder. they will be either 5-3 or 4-4, which I think is ok considering the circumstances. much like the Cavs the Spurs will have an easy schedule till end of November with 5 home games and only one on the road.

Wizards were not mentioned. they were called a sleeper by many experts after the trade for Foye and Miller and with Arenas back. now they are 2-6 and at end of November they might be 4-11. not good for a loaded team that pays tons of lux tax.

I think Hornets will panic first, also because Paul will demand some changes. their guard rotation outside Paul looks atrocious.
and a trade between Hornets and Wizards also would have some potential. the Wizards can't play all their guards anyhow. but the Hornets don't have much what the Wizards could use. they likely would need a 3rd team.

Mel_13
11-11-2009, 08:20 AM
I think Hornets will panic first, also because Paul will demand some changes. their guard rotation outside Paul looks atrocious.

Desperate teams exchange problems?

Peja for Jackson and Speedy.

SpurNation
11-11-2009, 08:39 AM

That's one trade I wouldn't like to see.

wildbill2u
11-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Both Tim and POP have said we need to start fast this season. I think this recognizes the upgrading of the West and the fact that you don't want to be down in the bottom seeds of the playoff teams.

For years, Pop has said he doesn't care where they are as long as they make the playoffs with good momentum. I think he's now admitting that home court and seeding in the playoffs can be important.

Agloco
11-11-2009, 10:01 AM

I've said it before, that's one of the last things the Spurs need.......

mountainballer
11-11-2009, 10:08 AM

yeah. this was mentioned some weeks ago, makes even more sense right now. the deal breaker might be, if the Warriors become set on expiring contracts, because they hope to join the 2010 free agency. (getting rid of Sjax contract isn't enough, but if they can somehow also dump Maggette and/or Turiaf, they are in the game)

Mel_13
11-11-2009, 10:11 AM
yeah. this was mentioned some weeks ago, makes even more sense right now.

Did I steal someone's idea? If so, sorry.

BatManu
11-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Both Tim and POP have said we need to start fast this season. I think this recognizes the upgrading of the West and the fact that you don't want to be down in the bottom seeds of the playoff teams.

For years, Pop has said he doesn't care where they are as long as they make the playoffs with good momentum. I think he's now admitting that home court and seeding in the playoffs can be important.

Plus the second half of the season has them playing a ton of road games this year - only 12 home games from february on

sananspursfan21
11-11-2009, 01:01 PM
6 games out of 82, nobody should be worried yet. these guys just need something new to talk about and nba fans eat it up.

spurs will be fine. d will cinch up in no time

CGD
11-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Spurs also have a fairly tough opening schedule compared to other teams.

Agloco
11-11-2009, 02:59 PM
The team with Shaq should be most concerned. He almost singlehandedly turned Phoenix into a lottery team.

Agloco
11-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Did I steal someone's idea? If so, sorry.

I doubt it. Coming up with that scenario isn't exactly proprietary knowledge.......

mountainballer
11-13-2009, 08:52 AM
and the winner is: .............the Hornets!

they didn't pull a trade, but they just fired Byron Scott!
(GM Bower makes himself head coach and names Tim Floyd assistant.....oh well)

it's reported, that he had troubles with some players. but not Chris Paul. just the opposite. Paul supported Scott and he now is somehow pissed that he wasn't involved or at least informed before.
I wonder: if the coach and the undisputed cornerstone of the franchise have a good relationship (reportedly very good), how can it happen, that the coach is fired, because he has troubles with other players?
I would assume the troubles are between Scott and GM Bower, who btw. is totally overrated as a GM. (yes, he picked Paul, but it didn't need a genius to use the#4 pick for him, when the stupid Hawks had passed on him). most of Bowers other picks are busts (Hilton Armstrong at 12, Cedric Simmons at 15, Julian Wright at 13, traded away the 2008 pick for cash. deals for Peja and Posey turn into total cap killer)

wonder what's next. if this team falls apart, how long will Paul stay quiet.

SpursBabe99
11-13-2009, 11:38 AM
I'd say Cavs. Shaq just isn't the perfect puzzle piece they needed. Just another big name added clogging up space in the paint. Seriously! We always start slow! I hate it, but have gotten quite used to it. Come Rodeo Road Trip, we always have that great bond, gel to the max, and come out blazing w/ momentum for playoffs!

Supergirl
11-13-2009, 02:16 PM
How come no one picked the Hornets, who are having the worst start of all and should have been one of the top teams in the west coming off of last season?

SpurNation
11-13-2009, 02:48 PM
How come no one picked the Hornets, who are having the worst start of all and should have been one of the top teams in the west coming off of last season?

I think mountainballer did. Check post #16.

Supergirl
11-13-2009, 05:15 PM
I think mountainballer did. Check post #16.

No, I mean of the original sportswriters? Why didn't occur to one of THEM?

SpurNation
11-13-2009, 06:21 PM
No, I mean of the original sportswriters? Why didn't occur to one of THEM?

Ahhhh. Well maybe mountainballer should have wrote it. :toast