PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Weiss, Undressed

symple19
11-10-2009, 08:43 PM
From ESPN

Charlie, Undressed

Notre Dame (16) will do whatever it pleases with Charlie Weis (17) -- fire him, retain him, give him another $30-plus million for almost beating USC. Whatever. He should have been dismissed a year ago, after the humiliation in the Los Angeles Coliseum, so any corrective action taken now comes a year too late.

The Irish are only 35-24 under Charlie Weis' watch.
But while we're waiting for the Fighting Irish brass to decide what to do with their football coach, The Dash has to admire how the man has built a five-year, get-rich-quick scheme out of virtually nothing. Look at Weis' record, and there is no substance to it.

His overall record is 35-24. If the Irish lose Saturday at Pittsburgh, his winning percentage will be .583 -- which means he'll still be succeeding at the identical rate that got Tyrone Willingham (18) canned after three seasons. His ability to create a double standard out of recruiting hype got him two more years of fat paychecks.

But there's nothing more to Weis than that.

Whom has he beaten? An endless succession of nobodies. Of his 35 victories, exactly two have come against teams that finished the season in Jeff Sagarin's ELO_Chess Top 30 (the rankings the BCS uses). One of those was against Michigan in Weis' second game as coach, in 2005 -- the Wolverines finished that year No. 24. The other was against Penn State in the second game of Weis' second year -- the Nittany Lions finished that year No. 14.

Since that victory over Penn State in September 2006, Weis' past 24 victories have been against teams ranked 35th or lower by Sagarin -- most of them much lower.

In fact, the average Sagarin ELO_Chess rank of all 35 Weis victims is a 73. Which basically means the Irish would have been hell on wheels in Conference USA over the past five seasons.

And isn't that what Notre Dame football is supposed to be all about?

I can't believe the guy is still there. Can't imagine he stays after this year

Duff McCartney
11-10-2009, 08:52 PM
I hope Notre Dame stays in the toilet. I'm a fan of a big name program in Oklahoma, but I despise when people say big name programs deserve to be at the top. Nobody deserves to be at the top, and it's not bad for any sport when the big names are in the toilet.

symple19
11-10-2009, 08:57 PM
I hope Notre Dame stays in the toilet. I'm a fan of a big name program in Oklahoma, but I despise when people say big name programs deserve to be at the top. Nobody deserves to be at the top, and it's not bad for any sport when the big names are in the toilet.

:tu

TFloss32
11-10-2009, 09:10 PM
It's funny how Tyrone Willingham was canned so quickly, but his recruits made Weis look good for the first two years of his career at Notre Dame.

I wonder if the folks at ND have already made their mind up about this guy. They're most likely losing to Pitt this weekend and maybe Stanford later on. These guys had a potential BCS bid before laying an egg against Navy.

MajorMike
11-10-2009, 09:25 PM
"Which basically means the Irish would have been hell on wheels in Conference USA over the past five seasons."

LOL; dayum that's funny.

LOL texans
11-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Its a different era of college football now. Not like the yesteryear of ND being a top program. Kids nowadays don't want to go to where the weather is terrible, the academics are stringent, and the girls are...well just okay.

They want to go to schools where they can major in Football, the weather is great, the girls are HOT, and they can party and live it up for 4 years of their lives.

ND, has lost its luster and will never get it back. Its the era of the big time state Universities like Florida, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, etc.

Greg Oden
11-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Its a different era of college football now. Not like the yesteryear of ND being a top program. Kids nowadays don't want to go to where the weather is terrible, the academics are stringent, and the girls are...well just okay.

They want to go to schools where they can major in Football, the weather is great, the girls are HOT, and they can party and live it up for 4 years of their lives.

ND, has lost its luster and will never get it back. Its the era of the big time state Universities like Florida, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, etc.

Hey what's up Colin Cowherd?

DMX7
11-11-2009, 01:23 AM

USC isn't a state university. But yes, state universities have dominated since after Coker and Miami won a national championship.

Blake
11-11-2009, 01:41 PM

Rivals recruiting rankings for Notre Dame:

2006: #8
2007: #8
2008: #2
2009: #21
2010: #11

you fail again stretch.

don't lose sleep tonite over it though.

Blake
11-11-2009, 01:42 PM
USC isn't a state university. But yes, state universities have dominated since after Coker and Miami won a national championship.

that's just funny. :lol

is utsa going to dominate now?

Blake
11-11-2009, 01:47 PM
I can't believe the guy is still there. Can't imagine he stays after this year

he signed a big fat contract extension through 2015 which pays roughly $3.5 million per year.

That's a helluva lot to pay a fired coach for the next 5 years on top of paying the new coach another 3-4 million to come in.

Unless some rich booster wants to pony up the dough to pay him off, I think he stays at least 2-3 more years.

lebomb
11-11-2009, 01:51 PM
that's just funny. :lol

is utsa going to dominate now?

No WAY!!! ......... you cant be bringing up Utsa in a thread that has nothing to do with the school....... or the subject.

Predictable penis envy. :rolleyes

Blake
11-11-2009, 02:53 PM
No WAY!!! ......... you cant be bringing up Utsa in a thread that has nothing to do with the school....... or the subject.

Predictable penis envy. :rolleyes

a utsa fan slid in larry coker.

you shouldn't be bringing up your predictable penis envy in a thread that has nothing to do with lol utsa.

samikeyp
11-11-2009, 02:59 PM
If Charlie the Hutt loses this weekend...he will have the same record as Willingham and same win pct. that Davie had when they were both fired. Unless he wins out including whatever bowl game he's gone and even that may not be enough to save him.

lebomb
11-11-2009, 03:05 PM
If Charlie the Hutt loses this weekend...he will have the same record as Willingham and same win pct. that Davie had when they were both fired. Unless he wins out including whatever bowl game he's gone and even that may not be enough to save him.

My good friend who went to ND and is a huge ND fan, cant wait for Weiss to be gone. ND looked decent against Washington State, but it was just Washington State. They looked horrible against Navy.

johngateswhiteley
11-21-2009, 06:51 PM
looks like i was right about notre dame. where did all this bcs crap come from? they aren't even close to a top 25 team.

Stanford is going to wreck notre dame...!

Spursfan092120
11-21-2009, 07:17 PM
http://product.images.dreamsretail.com/33-49/33-49320-P.jpg

Whisky Dog
11-21-2009, 10:02 PM
I like notre dame I want them to be good but I was wanting uconn to win so weiss gets canned. I just can't root for that smug asshole. All that bullshit he laid out when he got hired and won with willingham's recruits was despicable. Hope he never gets another head gig.

johngateswhiteley
11-21-2009, 10:15 PM
I just can't root for that smug asshole. All that bullshit he laid out when he got hired and won with willingham's recruits was despicable. Hope he never gets another head gig.

thats a bit much. i'm sure he'll learn from this and get another chance at some point.

i like charlie weiss...he extended notre dame's mediocrity.

symple19
11-22-2009, 05:39 AM
i like charlie weiss...he extended notre dame's mediocrity.

:lol

chode_regulator
11-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Ehhh....not sure if I'm just reading this wrong but Miami is not a state school.

If Charlie the Hutt loses this weekend...
hahahaha how do you gain weight after having the lap band surgery?
http://www.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Pizza-the-Hut.jpg

looks like i was right about notre dame. where did all this bcs crap come from? they aren't even close to a top 25 team.

Stanford is going to wreck notre dame...!

Def are not even worthy of beingmentioned in teh same breath as top 25 teams. Funny how everyone was slobbing their knobs at teh beginning of the season (not here, talking about the usual jokers on sports shows)

johngateswhiteley
11-25-2009, 12:54 PM
unless nd gets gruden i don't see the point in firing weiss

that will mean a guaransheed shitty team for 3-5 more years

thats a good point. unless its a guaranteed great hire, i don't see the point of firing Weiss.

symple19
11-26-2009, 12:40 AM
unless nd gets gruden i don't see the point in firing weiss

that will mean a guaransheed shitty team for 3-5 more years

thats a good point. unless its a guaranteed great hire, i don't see the point of firing Weiss.

I think roughly half of Americas football coaching population could do a better job than Weis, IMO.

He has probably recruited better than either of his predecessors and managed to do an even worse job. Plenty of talent at ND, it's just not getting coached up. Here are some of my suggestions, in no particular order.

Peterson (Boise St)
Grobe (Wake Forest)
Will Muschamp (texas DC) how bout some defense under the dome?
Charlie Strong (UF DC)
Patterson (TCU)

And I'm sure there are many more who could do a better job than chuck, IMO.

If I were a domer, I'd want a defensive minded guy.

samikeyp
11-26-2009, 01:04 AM
Ok...never use "Charlie Weis" and "Undressed" in the same sentence again!
:lol