PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Notebook: Duncan, Parker doubtful vs. Mavs

duncan228
11-11-2009, 01:44 AM
Duncan, Parker doubtful vs. Mavs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Duncan_Parker_doubtful_vs_Mavs.html)
Mike Monroe

It appears likely the Spurs will face the Dallas Mavericks at the AT&T Center tonight without All-Stars Tim Duncan and Tony Parker.

Neither player participated in the Spurs' light Tuesday afternoon practice session and were officially listed as doubtful for tonight's game.

Both are nursing left ankle injuries suffered in last Thursday's game against the Utah Jazz in Salt Lake City.

Parker sprained his left ankle during the second quarter and left the court immediately. X-rays showed no structural damage and the Spurs officially termed the injury a mild sprain, but he has not played since.

Duncan jammed his left ankle at some point in the same game but played 35 minutes and 27 seconds the next night in Portland. He developed discomfort during a Sunday practice session and was a pregame scratch before Monday's home game against the Toronto Raptors.

Five on ballot: Five Spurs are on the official ballot for fan voting for the 2010 All-Star Game that was unveiled in ceremonies in Dallas, the host city.

Duncan, voted to the starting lineup every year but his rookie season, is on the Western Conference ballot at forward, along with new teammate Richard Jefferson.

Parker, an All-Star in three of his seasons, and Manu Ginobili, a 2006 All-Star, are among the 24 guards on the ballot.

Antonio McDyess, an All-Star in 2001 with the Denver Nuggets, is one of 12 Western Conference centers on the ballot.

Posterizing Bargnani: Matt Bonner was still being asked about his drive from the foul line for an almost-double-clutch power dunk in the face of Raptors center Andrea Bargnani in the first half of Monday's victory over the Raptors.

“I'm really happy that was caught on film,” said Bonner, whose game is predicated on his perimeter shooting rather than athleticism. “I have something to show my grandkids someday.”

Unfortunately, the look of astonishment on the face of Duncan, inactive and seated behind the Spurs' bench, was not caught on tape.

portnoy1
11-11-2009, 06:45 AM
Did anyone notice the motion offense out there. It seemed so natural. This was suppose to be happening from day 1. Funny how you take TP out of the equation and the ball movement gets better. Dont try to deny it, this game was way to obvious. Back cuts, guys coming off screens, multiple pick nrolls for DIFFERENT players. We only scored 5 fast break points. Which means we scored 126pts from the halfcourt including 3's and free throws. No one really took questionable 3's. Manu took a few but he hit them. And besides he is a big gun he can do that. Finley/Bonner/RJ/Bogans took smart 3's. They only shot after the ball moved around. When the spurs take 28 3's i dont like it, wether they hit or not since some of the them are one pass one 3pt shot. But ALL 5 guys on the court touched the ball and it moved around. Manu 8 ast/RJ 7 ast / Hill 5 ast. So this Parker gets cheated out of assist thin is nonsense. Their was much to be had offensively and everyone shared the ball and got due credit for it. If we play like this again, not a win or big numbers but as a team I want TP traded for a big guy and a solid/decent PG if he comes back and there is no ball movement. This game will be a big test for the spurs. I dont know if they can win, but i would love to see team ball again. Like back in the 04-05 season.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-11-2009, 07:06 AM
But ALL 5 guys on the court touched the ball and it moved around. Manu 8 ast/RJ 7 ast / Hill 5 ast. So this Parker gets cheated out of assist thin is nonsense.

:lol Way to miss the point. You're giving some posters a run for their money!

portnoy1
11-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Hey, you know me.:blah

Mel_13
11-11-2009, 07:13 AM

:lol

It's as if he doesn't realize that he provides evidence that disproves his own theory. Sometimes I think he is just going for a laugh.

portnoy1
11-11-2009, 07:18 AM

It's as if he doesn't realize that he provides evidence that disproves his own theory. Sometimes I think he is just going for a laugh.
Sweet, didnt know you were here. I guess ill stick around for a little while. I been waiting to hear your opinion about the spurs motion offense.

Mel_13
11-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Sweet, didnt know you were here. I guess ill stick around for a little while. I been waiting to hear your opinion about the spurs motion offense.

I think using the distribution of assists in one game, against the worst defensive team in the NBA, to prove the offense flows better without Tony is ridiculous. Check out the boxscore from the Hornets game. Eight players with at least 2 assists with Tony leading the team is scoring and assists.

At any rate, one thing is very certain. If you "want" Tony traded you are bound to be very disappointed.

SpurNation
11-11-2009, 07:33 AM
If we play like this again, not a win or big numbers but as a team I want TP traded for a big guy and a solid/decent PG if he comes back and there is no ball movement. This game will be a big test for the spurs. I dont know if they can win, but i would love to see team ball again. Like back in the 04-05 season.

Not saying you have some valid points but I would suspect that Pop might think different since he is the one that gives Parker the green light.

What's good to know is they can implement a motion offense if need be AND use Parker for his strengths instead of focussing on what may be a weakness in his game.

Also...I think it would be hard pressed to secure an in season trade for a big that would make the Spurs that much better in the post since those types of players are few and far between and probably needed more on the team(s) they already play for now over getting Tony Parker in a trade.

portnoy1
11-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Oh and im gonna assume the point im supposedly missing is is that Hill the PG only got 5ast. Manu is the main creator and racked up points and assist by moving the ball. He didnt force anything and got some good looks without going 1 on 5 everyplay. Parker will be the main creator when he is on the floor. Looking at Manu, he can get points and assist by not forcing anything. Run a pick n roll and if nothings there then give it up. Thats what the spurs did all night. Run a pick n roll and then cut somewhere to an open area. When Parker is in , the spurs stand around. Bonner/Bogans/RJ wait and watch behind the 3pt line. That was the difference the Spurs and Jazz last week. Parker went 1 on 5, while D-Will let things develop and got EASY open looks.

Mel_13
11-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Oh and im gonna assume the point im supposedly missing is is that Hill the PG only got 5ast. Manu is the main creator and racked up points and assist by moving the ball. He didnt force anything and got some good looks without going 1 on 5 everyplay. Parker will be the main creator when he is on the floor. Looking at Manu, he can get points and assist by not forcing anything. Run a pick n roll and if nothings there then give it up. Thats what the spurs did all night. Run a pick n roll and then cut somewhere to an open area. When Parker is in , the spurs stand around. Bonner/Bogans/RJ wait and watch behind the 3pt line. That was the difference the Spurs and Jazz last week. Parker went 1 on 5, while D-Will let things develop and got EASY open looks.

So you actually aren't interested in any other POV. You made your mind up about Tony long ago. Enjoy.

Btw, didn't you just love Calderon's Matador defense?

portnoy1
11-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Not saying you have some valid points but I would suspect that Pop might think different since he is the one that gives Parker the green light.

What's good to know is they can implement a motion offense if need be AND use Parker for his strengths instead of focussing on what may be a weakness in his game.

Also...I think it would be hard pressed to secure an in season trade for a big that would make the Spurs that much better in the post since those types of players are few and far between and probably needed more on the team(s) they already play for now over getting Tony Parker in a trade.
I gotta take off. But all im saying is that when the spurs run motion the get better looks. I think that goes for anyteam. However Parker doesnt seem to do well in that system. When he has the ball and everyone out of his way (behind 3pt line) then he is at his best. Its great for him and not to say the team cant win with him doing that. But it makes alot harder to get good looks night in night out. it also doesnt promote ball movement which is important if unless your name is MJ or KOBE. If Parker Runs motion then he can get easier layups easier assist and the spurs will shoot a better percentage. I want Parker gone cause i dont think he can change. If he does then him being here makes us the most dangerous team in the NBA minus our defense.

Mel_13
11-11-2009, 07:47 AM
I want Parker gone

Yes, we know.

Agloco
11-11-2009, 11:21 AM
If we play like this again, not a win or big numbers but as a team I want TP traded for a big guy and a solid/decent PG if he comes back and there is no ball movement. This game will be a big test for the spurs. I dont know if they can win, but i would love to see team ball again. Like back in the 04-05 season.

:rolleyes

Like back in 04-05.......... you mean like when some schmuck named Parker was running the point? Oh wait, you wanna trade that guy though. :wtf

portnoy1
11-11-2009, 04:18 PM
:rolleyes

Like back in 04-05.......... you mean like when some schmuck named Parker was running the point? Oh wait, you wanna trade that guy though. :wtf Parker is the focal point of the offense. Thats understandable considering the state we were in last season. In 04-05 Parker would give up the ball a little more then instead of now. He dominates the ball. I'm not sure if its because he is still in 08-09 mode when no one was around or what. In 04-05 you had Manu/Brent/TP together and the ball would move like crazy. Now it seems that The motion we were suppose to see and RJ posting up never really happens unless HIll is in the game. If TP is in its high pick n roll with 3 guys standing around the 3pt line watching him. Normally Pop can be blamed for whats going on offensively, However he said Parker is going to run the show and he is gonna call less plays. I Blame Parker for not looking for people in their spots, But Pop also has to take the blame for that because he is still the coach. Does anyone remember back in 03-04 when Tim got hurt and Pop put a motion offense in play and we started putting up numbers. When Tim came back we slowly but surely went to a high pick n roll with everyone watching. I'm still trying to figure out why Pop when away from that. Why is it that Pop/Parker run a motion offense sparingly ( out of desperation ) and have parker do his 1 on 5 bit?

Brazil
11-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Did anyone notice the motion offense out there. It seemed so natural. This was suppose to be happening from day 1. Funny how you take TP out of the equation and the ball movement gets better. Dont try to deny it, this game was way to obvious. Back cuts, guys coming off screens, multiple pick nrolls for DIFFERENT players. We only scored 5 fast break points. Which means we scored 126pts from the halfcourt including 3's and free throws. No one really took questionable 3's. Manu took a few but he hit them. And besides he is a big gun he can do that. Finley/Bonner/RJ/Bogans took smart 3's. They only shot after the ball moved around. When the spurs take 28 3's i dont like it, wether they hit or not since some of the them are one pass one 3pt shot. But ALL 5 guys on the court touched the ball and it moved around. Manu 8 ast/RJ 7 ast / Hill 5 ast. So this Parker gets cheated out of assist thin is nonsense. Their was much to be had offensively and everyone shared the ball and got due credit for it. If we play like this again, not a win or big numbers but as a team I want TP traded for a big guy and a solid/decent PG if he comes back and there is no ball movement. This game will be a big test for the spurs. I dont know if they can win, but i would love to see team ball again. Like back in the 04-05 season.

this guy is priceless

portnoy1
11-11-2009, 04:38 PM
this guy is priceless
I'd like to think so. Its good to have a guy with seemingly wild View Points every now and then. Or in my case often.:lol