PDA

View Full Version : Texas State coach feeling unappreciated

CubanMustGo
11-11-2009, 09:40 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Texas_State_coach_feeling_unappreciated.html

By Jerry Briggs - Express-News

Third-year Texas State football coach Brad Wright expressed frustration Tuesday night with an unsettled contract situation and said that he believes this season could be his last with the Bobcats.

Wright said his contract is expiring and that he has declined the university's offer of a one-year extension without a pay raise.

“It kind of tells me that they don't want me here,'' said Wright, whose 25th-ranked Bobcats play at home Saturday against No. 10 McNeese State.

Texas State athletic director Larry Teis could not be reached for comment.

Wright received a three-year contract when he was hired in January 2007.

After his team won the Southland Conference title and reached the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision playoffs in 2008, he said he approached the university with a request for an extension.

The university responded last December by offering a one-year extension without a raise, Wright said, adding that he “politely” declined.

With two games remaining this season, Wright's team is in a four-way tie for first in the SLC, with a chance of winning back-to-back titles.

Asked if the one-year offer is still on the table, Wright said, “It doesn't matter if it is or not. I'm not going to ... all they do is ask for commitments, and they won't give one.”

Wright said he talked with Teis about the situation on Monday but said that he has not heard back.

Texas State improved to 6-3 last week with a victory at Central Arkansas, clinching a second consecutive winning season at the school for the first time since Dennis Franchione did it in 1990-91.

Now, Wright is trying to prepare his team for another title run, all while admitting that he believes the school doesn't want him back.

“Basically, that's the feeling I get,'' said Wright, who finished 8-5 last season. He is 18-15 overall.

Texas State officials said at Wright's introductory news conference in 2007 that he would make $150,000 per year, plus bonuses.