PDA

View Full Version : On tackling debt: Some say 'Just do it'

coyotes_geek
11-11-2009, 11:57 AM
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Left to their own devices, lawmakers won't successfully deal with the country's spiraling debt situation. That's the opinion of some key members agitating for a special commission to force the hand of Congress.

"Congress is not willing to take short-term pain for long-term pain," Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio, told a Senate Budget Committee hearing Tuesday.

"Pain" in this context is defined as Congress enacting spending cuts and tax increases across the board to rein in the nation's massive debt load.

And the country's long-term debt load is massive: The interest on it alone could total $4.8 trillion between 2010 and 2019.

The proposed solution: "Institutional insurrection," as Sen. Evan Bayh, D-Ind., put it. "Business as usual in Washington is not going to solve the problem."

Specifically, Bayh and others are proposing the creation of a bipartisan commission that would come up with ways to cut the deficit and then propose legislation on which lawmakers would vote "yes" or "no." Period.

To further protect the legislation from becoming a political grab bag - or punching bag - some lawmakers, like Sen. Judd Gregg, R-N.H., the top Republican on the budget committee, would like to bar lawmakers from adding amendments to any such deficit-reduction bill.

"We need this decision-forcing mechanism to do what's right for the country," said Rep. Jim Cooper, D-Tenn.

One reason for the push to form a commission by early 2010 is that the economic and financial collapse pummeled revenues, worsening the deficit and accelerating concerns about what had been longer-term shortfalls.

"What used to be a three-decade problem is now something that looks to be a one-decade problem," said Douglas Holtz-Eakin, a former director of the Congressional Budget Office.

Demonstrating seriousness in addressing the problem could do a lot to secure the U.S. reputation as a safe bet with foreign creditors, who despite soaring deficits have nevertheless continued buying U.S. debt throughout the crisis at very low interest rates.

On the face of it, it seems baffling. But "they are implicitly counting on Americans to solve the problem," Holtz-Eakin said.

So the country now has one decade to do two things, he added: not disappoint creditors and genuinely start the wheels in motion to address the problem.

What a commission would do
Reining in the debt will take some time since a host of measures are required and they would phase in over time. But the decisions would need to be made in advance and adhered to by Congress.

The commission would, in essence, make a lot of the hard choices lawmakers have thus far avoided: how to rein in spending on Medicare and Social Security; how high to raise taxes on everyone, not just those making $250,000 or more; and which government funded programs to cut in part or altogether.

"I don't want reductions in social programs. But I recognize there's no alternative. I don't want to raise revenue. But there is no alternative," said Sen. Kent Conrad, D-N.D., chairman of the budget committee.

Of course, Congress wouldn't be removed from the picture. In fact, many who support the idea of a commission say the majority, if not all of its members, should be a select group of Democrats and Republicans from the House and Senate. They in turn would have to sell the commission's ideas to their colleagues in both chambers and present a united front.

"If this commission does its job, it will be very unpopular," said Sen. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn.

Hardly music to a politician's ears. But then again, neither are soaring interest rates, a collapsing dollar or, as Cooper put it, a recession that will make the current one "look like a sideshow." Those are the kinds of things that could happen if creditors who buy U.S. debt lose faith that the country will adequately deal with its debt problems.

There's not unanimous support in Congress by any means for a deficit-reduction commission. But some of the lawmakers pushing for one have also suggested that they won't vote for an increase to the debt ceiling - currently set at $12.1 trillion - unless there is legislation in the works to create a commission.

The latest reading from Treasury is that the country's debt load will pierce the ceiling sometime in the second half of December.

It's hard to say if there would be a sufficient number of votes to defeat an increase to the ceiling. As a practical matter, it's unlikely Congress would withhold the increase because of the dire consequences of piercing the ceiling.

But there may be enough votes to force Senate leaders to take the commission proposal seriously.

"There are just enough of us who are not going to vote to increase the national debt ... unless there is some fundamental reform and a credible reason to believe -- not just lip service or empty promises -- that things will get better on the fiscal front," Bayh told Congress Daily.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/11/news/economy/federal_deficit_commission/index.htm?postversion=2009111111

coyotes_geek
11-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Nice to see there's at least a couple of members of congress who realize the current debt loads are unsustainable. I hope this idea gets some traction.

Winehole23
11-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Me too. Honoring the debt ceiling would be a good first step.

MannyIsGod
11-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Trying to control the debt when unemployment is rising is not smart. There is most definitely a time for this and something that must be done, but it isn't today.

SpurNation
11-11-2009, 12:24 PM
A reality of what has been needed to do that has been long overdue.

Winehole23
11-11-2009, 12:25 PM
It's not too soon to start talking about it.

SpurNation
11-11-2009, 12:31 PM
There's not unanimous support in Congress by any means for a deficit-reduction commission. But some of the lawmakers pushing for one have also suggested that they won't vote for an increase to the debt ceiling - currently set at $12.1 trillion - unless there is legislation in the works to create a commission.

The latest reading from Treasury is that the country's debt load will pierce the ceiling sometime in the second half of December.

In one month. I'd say it's time to talk about it now. And even just starting now won't guarantee the ceiling won't be raised again as per bolded above.

MannyIsGod
11-11-2009, 12:46 PM
It's not too soon to start talking about it.

No - its not.

coyotes_geek
11-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Trying to control the debt when unemployment is rising is not smart. There is most definitely a time for this and something that must be done, but it isn't today.

Putting it off until tomorrow is exactly how we got here.

Not to say that I entirely disagree with your statement. It's just that looking for the "right time" to cut off the free money gravy train will probably result in it never getting done.

admiralsnackbar
11-11-2009, 12:56 PM

Not to say that I entirely disagree with your statement. It's just that looking for the "right time" to cut off the free money gravy train will probably result in it never getting done.

Agreed.

MannyIsGod
11-11-2009, 01:00 PM

And doing at the wrong time will never get it done. How much debt will the nation erase if we go right back to a shrinking economy? The money you spend is not the only factor in how large the debt is.

The money you bring in is just as important.

Next time you have huge economic booms, get your congress and president to balance the budget. There was a guy with a congress who did it in the 90s. Then there was another guy with a lot of the same Congress who just ignored it in the the past 10 years.

EmptyMan
11-11-2009, 01:06 PM
LOL @ Politicians caring about the Long-Term.

By volunteering to run for office, they should be concerned solely with the health of America, most are not, they should be punished for betraying the country.

We should let Tibetan Monks run U.S.A.

EmptyMan
11-11-2009, 01:08 PM
And doing at the wrong time will never get it done. How much debt will the nation erase if we go right back to a shrinking economy? The money you spend is not the only factor in how large the debt is.

Next time you have huge economic booms, get your congress and president to balance the budget. There was a guy with a congress who did it in the 90s. Then there was another guy with a lot of the same Congress who just ignored it in the the past 10 years.

More like, there was a Congress with a guy in the 90s. :p:

MannyIsGod
11-11-2009, 01:11 PM
More like, there was a Congress with a guy in the 90s. :p:

Most of that same congress was around in the last decade. Different guy though.

coyotes_geek
11-11-2009, 01:12 PM

It's going to be harder for the economy to expand when so much money has to be taken out of the economy to service debt. This will hold especially true when interest rates start to go up which is why it's critical to get moving on this asap. IMO at least........

Still, even if congress got moving on this tomorrow the process of bridging the multi-trillion dollar gap is not something that's going to get resolved quickly. So we can start today and still have plenty of time for things to get better before any of the committee actions kicked in.

It should be noted that the guy in the 90s did have a lot of help via the tech boom, and the guy in the last 10 years did have to deal with the fallout of that same tech boom going bust, as well as the whole 9/11 mess. That being said, kudos to Clinton for making the best of his good opportunity and shame on Bush for making the worst of his bad one.

admiralsnackbar
11-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Most of that same congress was around in the last decade. Different guy though.

In all fairness, it was a different economy, too. Clinton's much-vaunted economic savvy had more to do with an ascendant dotcom market he had no part creating than anything else. He balanced the budget because it would have been hard not to. He also signed NAFTA, which destroyed manufacturing in this country, and epically exacerbated the immigration problem.

I'm by no means saying Bush was good for the economy (I knew we were in trouble when he sent us all money for voting for him), but rather that Clinton wasn't all that.

boutons_deux
11-11-2009, 04:16 PM
The biggest tax cut that nobody voted for or against is the huge cut in tax revenues from The Bankster Depression.

One tax that needs to imposed immediately is city + state + federal SALES tax on Wall St (financial sector) sales.

EVAY
11-11-2009, 06:26 PM
I think this is a great idea. It won't happen, but I would be willing to support it...literally. I mean, does anyone know how schmucks like us could let congress people know that we think it is a good idea? Please don't tell me that we have to get Fox news to throw a party for it.

hope4dopes
11-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Nice to see there's at least a couple of members of congress who realize the current debt loads are unsustainable. I hope this idea gets some traction. Yes it is refreshing.... I hope people will listen.

spursncowboys
11-11-2009, 08:42 PM
LOL @ Politicians caring about the Long-Term.

By volunteering to run for office, they should be concerned solely with the health of America, most are not, they should be punished for betraying the country.

We should let Tibetan Monks run U.S.A.

Exactly. That is why it was a little better having the senate nominated by state political hacks. Now the Senate and House are pretty much the same populist career politicians.

SnakeBoy
11-11-2009, 11:46 PM
How much debt will the nation erase if we go right back to a shrinking economy?

I guess you believe we are really back to a growth period. What will you say if the economy shrinks over the next year despite all the debt spending. Spend more?

DarkReign
11-12-2009, 10:48 AM
While I realize the difference between the two in the analogy I am about to make, I think it holds.

My father used to say "When is a good time to file for divorce? Around New Years? Around her birthday? Valentine's Day? Summer time? Holidays, anniversary, family/friend's death, etc? There is no such thing as a good time to do anything that needs doing."

His point was, when something needs doing, do it.