PDA

View Full Version : 48MoH: San Antonio’s Silent Slump

Blackjack
11-11-2009, 02:44 PM
San Antonio’s Silent Slump
by Timothy Varner

An under-reported Spurs story through six games is their three point shooting slump. Have a look:

- Link - (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/11/11/san-antonios-silent-slump/)

kace
11-11-2009, 02:52 PM
an important part of spurs good 3pts FG % is coming from Parker's penetrations or threat of penetrations when the opponents have to clog the lane. Till now, tony has seemed more concerned by involving his teamates and has not been very aggressive.

Another part of this good 3 pts FG % was Tim domination inside always REALLY and clearly asking two defendors to come at him. i don't know if we'll see this Tim again.

Interrohater
11-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Out-of-sync... no kidding.

It is exciting tho, to watch the games early because we never know who's going to be playing and how they're going to be played. Eventually, we'll all see the final rotation and have a "Eureeka!" moment.

BatManu
11-11-2009, 02:58 PM
an important part of spurs good 3pts FG % is coming from Parker's penetrations or threat of penetrations when the opponents have to clog the lane. Till now, tony has seemed more concerned by involving his teamates and has not been very aggressive.

Another part of this good 3 pts FG % was Tim domination inside always REALLY and clearly asking two defendors to come at him. i don't know if we'll see this Tim again.

Seems like they more or less broke out of the slump last game... I guess we'll see tonight

Chomag
11-11-2009, 03:02 PM
This is why they call it "living, or dieing by the 3" Instead of having a balanced attack Spurs usually opt for the 3ball most times which is the lowest % shot in the game. When your hot everything is all good but when your not, well...there is allways next game?

Interrohater
11-11-2009, 03:04 PM
This is why they call it "living, or dieing by the 3" Instead of having a balanced attack Spurs usually opt for the 3ball most times which is the lowest % shot in the game. When your hot everything is all good but when your not, well...there is allways next game?

I'm not sure if that's true. I swear I remember reading somewhere that the long 2 is the lowest percentage shot.

ulosturedge
11-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Well I already noticed that. At least a couple of games that we lost would have been close if we hit our shots. We missed an excessive amount of shots that we normally make. What was really exciting to see was our last game against the Raptors. There was alot more team chemistry on offense. I mean we were already a good offensive team without the chemistry, but with it I think we are on route to be one of the most potent offenses in the NBA. That still doesn't change our defensive shortcomings atm, but at least it's something positive to look forward to.

ElNono
11-11-2009, 04:47 PM
I hope it stays that way. The long ball is fool's gold.
We need more penetration with guys like RJ and Manu, and less 'live by the trey, die by the trey'.
What's actually nice is that even if the percentages are relatively low, we're still managing to score a lot of points. :tu

xtremesteven33
11-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Pop needs to draw up better halfcourt offensive plays.

Also, I think Parker deserves alot of fault for the early offensive struggles. He really needs to be a elite playmaker for this team to strive on offense. Teams already know the Spurs playbook...

-4down
-3 point shooting
-Pick n Roll

I know the Spurs will get a whole lot better with the weeks to come but alot of the blame needs to go on Parker as well. Give CP3 this current squad and he would flourish....

HarlemHeat37
11-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Shooting 3s isn't a concern to me, as long as their is some mix..shooting open 3s in the flow of the offense is fine with me..the Celtics are a good example for us, same with last year's Cavs team..we scored around the same points in the paint as Boston last year, and we scored significantly more than Cleveland did in the paint..the difference in success was defense and rebounding..

So far this year, we're playing a very similar style to Boston..the age difference also isn't much different, especially at the top..

if the defense can get to a decent level, our offense is fine..there's nothing wrong with the style of play IMO, at least according to the stats..

A random observation..our bench is 2nd in the NBA in free throw attempts right now, and 1st in the points in the paint..

AussieFanKurt
11-11-2009, 06:05 PM
that is a bit scary seeing as we pride ourself on 3 point makes kind of. we were up there last year

quentin_compson
11-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Pop needs to draw up better halfcourt offensive plays.

Also, I think Parker deserves alot of fault for the early offensive struggles. He really needs to be a elite playmaker for this team to strive on offense. Teams already know the Spurs playbook...

-4down
-3 point shooting
-Pick n Roll

I don't think this is a big problem. Plays like the Pick n Roll have been used successfully for a lot of years by a lot of teams. You also have to consider that there is only so much you can do on defense - usually, great offense beats great defense.

As far as our three-point shooting is concerned, I think we will be fine. Manu will get his rhythm back, and Mason Jr. will too, when he has found and accepted his new role on a modified team.

HarlemHeat37
11-11-2009, 06:27 PM
The plays being predictable is irrelevant..every team watches tape..

EricB
11-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Thinking the offense is just "that" is foolish. The Spurs have one of the thickest playbooks in the NBA.

Ask McDyess how damn thick it was and its the "thinned down" version too.