PDA

View Full Version : Marty Burns: Spurs Team to Beat

MadDog73
04-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Figures. 2 of our last 4, and suddenly we jump from 6th to 1st on his Power Ranking list.

Just like I suspected, last weeks standings were a Ruse, but it makes him look like a complete fool.

Wait, why am I bitching about someone respecting the Spurs? Am I this determined to make the Spurs underdogs?

Never mind! :elephant

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/marty_burns/04/18/final/index.html

1 6
San Antonio Spurs (59-21)
They yield the fewest points in the league (88.3) and own the best home record by far (38-3). If Tim Duncan's ankle holds up, they look good for a third NBA Finals berth in seven years.

2 2
Miami Heat (57-23)
Shaquille O'Neal did what he promised to do, leading them to the top of the East. With Dwyane Wade at his side, he just might have the right sidekick this year to get past the Pistons.

3 1
Phoenix Suns (61-19)
The NBA's best (and biggest surprise) of the regular season. But can Steve Nash & Co. continue to control the tempo and play their style of ball in the rough-and-tumble playoffs?

4 5
Detroit Pistons (53-27)
The defending champs are healthy and enter the postseason as the hottest team in the NBA. With Larry Brown and their cast of proven vets, they could bring Motown a second straight crown.

5 4
Dallas Mavericks (56-24)
The trendy "dark horse" of this year's playoffs. With Dirk Nowitzki and a real defense for a change, new coach Avery Johnson has the weapons to take advantage if the Spurs and Suns stumble.

6 12
Seattle SuperSonics (52-28)
Their surprising season fizzled at the end due to injuries. But with Rashard Lewis back in the lineup, and Vladimir Radmanovic getting close, they have the firepower to beat anybody.

7 10
Indiana Pacers (43-37)
They survived the Malice in the Palace, and all sorts of injuries, to finish sixth in the East. Now Jermaine O'Neal (shoulder) is healthy again and looking to send Reggie Miller out a winner.

8 8
Sacramento Kings (49-31)
Like the Pacers, they endured a slew of injuries to notch a fifth straight 50-win season. If Brad Miller and Bobby Jackson come back, they too have the talent and experience to make a run.

9 7
Houston Rockets (49-31)
After a slow start, coach Jeff Van Gundy finally got Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming working as a tandem. But the loss of Juwan Howard to a season-ending injury will be tough to overcome.

10 3
Denver Nuggets (48-32)
No team was better over the second half of the season, and they have a proven coach in George Karl. But their playoff road looks brutal, especially if they draw the Spurs in the first round.
=====================

Posted Monday, so I forgive the "if." Pretty dumb not to wait til today, though.