PDA

View Full Version : Lack of health care killed 2,266 US veterans last year: study

Fabbs
11-11-2009, 11:46 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/healthusinsurancemilitary
WASHINGTON (AFP) – The number of US veterans who died in 2008 because they lacked health insurance was 14 times higher than the US military death toll in Afghanistan that year, according to a new study.

The analysis produced by two Harvard medical researchers estimates that 2,266 US military veterans under the age of 65 died in 2008 because they lacked health coverage and had reduced access to medical care.

Fabbs
11-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Wasn't he in office thruout 2008?
http://www.bushorchimp.com/images/pic36.jpg

DarrinS
11-12-2009, 08:48 AM

George Gervin's Afro
11-12-2009, 09:05 AM
You won't get many dead enders responding to this thread. They are in agreement that the only people who are uninsured in this country are the 20 somethings who don't want it.

johnsmith
11-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Wasn't he in office thruout 2008?
http://www.bushorchimp.com/images/pic36.jpg

The connection seems so obvious.........Bush killed those men and women........got it.

admiralsnackbar
11-12-2009, 09:26 AM
The connection seems so obvious.........Bush killed those men and women........got it.

With his monkey face...

Winehole23
11-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Since access to insurance does not assure access to care, presumably this problem will remain, even if health care reform passes.

balli
11-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Fuck em. They should've worked harder. I'm not paying my taxes so a bunch of lazy, good-for-nothings can milk the system.

johnsmith
11-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Fuck em. They should've worked harder. I'm not paying my taxes so a bunch of lazy, good-for-nothings can milk the system.

Don't you need income to pay taxes?

EmptyMan
11-12-2009, 09:49 AM
It's a shame the government wastes so much money and spends money they don't have on things the country does not need.

Think about this my beloved Spurstalkers, if the government does not even care about their sacred soldiers, do you really think they care about you?

Every man for himself.

balli
11-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Don't you need income to pay taxes?
Chances are I make more than you do. Not that it matters...

johnsmith
11-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Chances are I make more than you do. Not that it matters...

:lmao:lmao:lmao

Everyone's a millionaire on the internet.

balli
11-12-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm not a millionaire. I have an income. Any reason you talked about it? Most people would think that's pretty rude.

This thread isn't about what I make. It's about whether my tax dollars should be used to keep a bunch of lazy, good-for-nothing sosalists alive.

johnsmith
11-12-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm not a millionaire. I have an income. Any reason you talked about it? Most people would think that's pretty rude.

This thread isn't about what I make. It's about whether my tax dollars should be used to keep a bunch of lazy, good-for-nothing sosalists alive.

And yet you were so quick to compare incomes.

coyotes_geek
11-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Chances are I make more than you do.

This thread isn't about what I make.

:wakeup

johnsmith
11-12-2009, 10:19 AM
:lmao

balli
11-12-2009, 10:24 AM
You asked. I answered. My mistake. I'm sorry for being offended by the fact you'd even care. It's none of your fucking business, or the thread topic- as you well know.

I guess I'm sorry for indulging your loser ass. In the future I'll avoid this by ignoring your moronic detours.

Now, do you have anything to say about veterans? Do you hope the GOP continues to kill them through neglect?

101A
11-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Since access to insurance does not assure access to care, presumably this problem will remain, even if health care reform passes.

Indeed.

johnsmith
11-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Now, do you have anything to say about veterans? Do you hope the GOP continues to kill them through neglect?

No, not really, you looking like an idiot was enough for me in this thread.

balli
11-12-2009, 10:33 AM
No, not really, you looking like an idiot was enough for me in this thread.

And you looking like an asshole was enough for me. Next time you bring up my income, don't be such a bitchmade loser when I deign to respond to your pussy little comments.
Again,

I'm sorry for indulging your loser ass. In the future I'll avoid this by ignoring your moronic detours.

johnsmith
11-12-2009, 10:35 AM
And you looking like an asshole was enough for me. Next time you bring up my income, don't be such a bitchmade loser when I deign to respond to your pussy little comments.
Again,

:lmao

You are without a doubt the toughest guy in the political forum.

doobs
11-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Man, you're tough!

angrydude
11-12-2009, 10:40 AM
this is a great example of how great government rationed care is.

""The priority eight group, the lowest priority, are veterans above the very poor group who have no other reason to be eligible and that group is essentially shut out of the VA," according to Himmelstein."

DarrinS
11-12-2009, 10:53 AM

I'm all for increasing the defense budget to cover veterans for LIFE. They deserve it for the sacrifice they make for thier country. As for those other people you mentioned, not so much.

Fabbs
11-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Started, continued the war that sent them there.
Had no heath care plan for these soldiers.

Your hero. :rollin

coyotes_geek
11-12-2009, 12:41 PM
I blame Pop and Finley for this.

spursncowboys
11-12-2009, 01:05 PM
The co-author "favors a national health care program similar to those in Britain and Canada." The guy is also the creator of Physicians for a National Health Program
So if you want a system like GB or Canada, then you will believe this study. I do not. This is an estimate. This is like the NRA coming up with a study about gun violence. It would clearly be biased.

spursncowboys
11-12-2009, 01:08 PM
"The uninsured have about a 40 percent higher risk of dying each year than otherwise comparable insured individuals," Himmelstein told AFP.
"Putting that all together you get an estimate of almost 2,300 -- 2,266 veterans who die each year from lack of health insurance."

This is a joke. Who posted it? - Deduct 10 points from integrity and try again.

johnsmith
11-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Started, continued the war that sent them there.
Had no heath care plan for these soldiers.

Your hero. :rollin

Eh, not my hero, but your logic is retarded........much like your posts.

The numbers are for those under the age of 65. That means many of these people could have been say 55 years old.

Are you blaming Bush for Vietnam now too?

Fabbs
11-13-2009, 12:51 AM
Bringing attention to vets dying due to lack of medical care is "retarded"?
Another selfish 'Pugnatin view.

The numbers are for those under the age of 65. That means many of these people could have been say 55 years old.
And therefore worthy of death. Oh wait, they still might vote.

Do you have some information that he puppeteered that war also?
Are vets who served in that war deserving of death also or should they be given medical care?

sabar
11-13-2009, 04:29 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/healthusinsurancemilitary
WASHINGTON (AFP) – The number of US veterans who died in 2008 because they lacked health insurance was 14 times higher than the US military death toll in Afghanistan that year, according to a new study.

The analysis produced by two Harvard medical researchers estimates that 2,266 US military veterans under the age of 65 died in 2008 because they lacked health coverage and had reduced access to medical care.

Fire Pop.

2,300 out of 1.5 million is a drop in the pond. 1 in 652. Yet this is somehow an epidemic.

The government should fix its other problems first, like its crappy education system. Whats the point in making poor people live longer when they grow up to flip burgers and sell drugs?

johnsmith
11-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Bringing attention to vets dying due to lack of medical care is "retarded"?
Another selfish 'Pugnatin view.

And therefore worthy of death. Oh wait, they still might vote.

Do you have some information that he puppeteered that war also?
Are vets who served in that war deserving of death also or should they be given medical care?

See, here's the problem, you posted an article, then blamed Bush. I pointed out that Bush wasn't responsible for Vietnam, and then you decided to make the thread about healthcare again.

You can't have it both ways, just admit that you tried for a backhanded jab that was borderline retarded, got called out on it, and the only thing you can think of doing is change the subject...................you should run for public office.

Fabbs
11-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Fire Pop.

2,300 out of 1.5 million is a drop in the pond. 1 in 652. Yet this is somehow an epidemic.
Except all 1.5 million servicemen were not in need of healthcare in 2008.
Nice try Sparky. Run the numbers again legitimately.

Fabbs
11-13-2009, 12:10 PM
I pointed out that Bush wasn't responsible for Vietnam,.....
and the only thing you can think of doing is change the subject.
10/10 on the lameness hypo scale.

SpurNation
11-13-2009, 12:40 PM
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/healthmatters/2009/09/18/lack-of-insurance-can-kill-you-but-having-it-will-cost-you/

EmptyMan
11-13-2009, 01:01 PM
The government should fix its other problems first, like its crappy education system. Whats the point in making poor people live longer when they grow up to flip burgers and sell drugs?

Votes.

There is a reason a smaller and smaller minority are paying everybody's taxes.

One man gets one vote. One man pays for 50 men. 50 men have 50 votes. One man has one vote.

Wild Cobra
11-13-2009, 04:15 PM
"The uninsured have about a 40 percent higher risk of dying each year than otherwise comparable insured individuals," Himmelstein told AFP.
"Putting that all together you get an estimate of almost 2,300 -- 2,266 veterans who die each year from lack of health insurance."

This is a joke. Who posted it? - Deduct 10 points from integrity and try again.
No kidding.

That equates to about 0.15% of the veterans under 65 without health insurance. I wonder what the balance of them is considering how many of the Viet Nam vets are just under 65, and maybe lacking in health already.

Now I wonder how that compares to the same number when cross checked by age of the American public at large, under 65. I'll bet the numbers are very similar.

Without a control population, these numbers are meaningless, and probably nothing more than misdirection and propaganda.

Wild Cobra
11-13-2009, 04:18 PM

Yes, libtards blame Bush for Viet Nam because he didn't get any medals like Kerry did.

spursncowboys
11-13-2009, 06:39 PM
votes.

There is a reason a smaller and smaller minority are paying everybody's taxes.

One man gets one vote. One man pays for 50 men. 50 men have 50 votes. One man has one vote.
+1

johnsmith
11-14-2009, 10:46 AM
10/10 on the lameness hypo scale.

Really? That's the best you can do? You aren't very good at this are you?

boutons_deux
11-14-2009, 11:02 AM
"smaller and smaller minority are"

... getting everybody's money, and they are paying less %age taxes than a larger and larger majority.

Warren Buffet admitted there is a class war (rich vs not rich) and his class is winning.

It's amazing how you not-richers are so supportive of the rich ripping off the bottom 98%.