PDA

View Full Version : Javtokas is the MVP of the ULEB CUP!!!!!!!

whottt
04-19-2005, 04:00 PM
ULEB (http://www.ulebcup.com/)

Lietuvos Rytas won its first European title and wrote a new page in basketball history by beating Alfa Makedonikos 78-74 in the ULEB Cup Final in front of a sellout crowd of 6,500 at the Spiroudome in Charleroi, Belgium on Tuesday. L. Rytas also earned the right to take part in the 2005-06 Euroleague, as well as becoming the third ULEB Cup titlest after Pamesa Valencia and Hapoel Migdal Jerusalem. More than 1,000 fans from Lithuania celebrated the victory that made L. Rytas just the second team ever to lift a continental trophy. Tyrone Nesby and Simas Jasaitis led the winners with 16 points apiece while Robertas Javtokas had 14 for Rytas and became the MVP of the game by adding 5 rebounds and 2 blocks. Tomas Delininkaitis and Gintaras Einikis also played a key role, each with 9 points. Pete Mickeal led Makedonikos with 24 points and 9 rebounds. Slaven Rimac added 14 and Manolis Papamakarios 12 for their team. L. Rytas came with a scoring reputation, but ruled on defense, holding Makedonikos to 26 points in the game's first 24 minutes. The Makedonikos shooters hit only 1 of their first 13 three-pointers. L. Rytas led by as many as 27 points, 57-30, late in the third quarter. But when Makedonikos started making shots midway through the fourth quarter, things got really exciting. Rimac hit the last to make it 77-74 with 12 seconds left, but L. Rytas held on with a final free throw by Javtokas for the victory.

It took Rytas 11 seconds to open the score with free throws by Javtokas, who added a block in the other end, allowing Nesby to nail a six-meter shot with gave his team a 4-0 lead. Makedonikos did not score untl Lukovski made a free throw, but a red hot Javtokas fired in an uncontested four-meter jumper to extend Rytas' lead to 6-1. Makedonikos struggled to score against Rytas' zone defense and even Mickael missed consecutive shots around the basket, while Nesby made a running jumper which forced coach Argyris Pedoulakis to call timeout with Rytas up 8-1. Mickael came off it back-to-back driving baskets, while Rytas entered the foul bonus just after 3 minutes. The scoring pace got slower, as free throws by Simas Jasaitis and Mujezinovic gave Lietuvos a 10-5 lead midway through the first. Stelmahers made a stop-and-pop three from the top of the key and Jasaitis drove for a short jumper which boosted Rytas' margin to double digits, 15-5. Papamakarios tried to change things with Makedonikos' first three-pointer, but Lietuvos powered the offensive board and had a better approach to the game using strong zone defense to dominate the game. Stelmahers fed Javtokas for a basket-plus-foul, as Rytas switched to man-to-man defense. Mickael scored in the paint, but Jasaitis immediately answered from downtown to give the Lithuanians their bigger margin so far, 21-10. Grygorij Khyzhnjak made free throws and Lukovski added a fast break layup, but Javtokas provided a highlight with an alleyoop dunk which gave Rytas a 23-14 lead after 10 minutes. Makedonikos was outrebounded by 13-5 in the opening quarter.

Simas Jasaitis
L. Rytas carried on using alternative defenses early in the second. Khyzhnjak scored near the basket and had already started to intimidate everyone around the Makedonikos basket, but Mujezinovic answered with a four-meter jumper, as the game turned into a physical battle. Tomas Delininkaitis stepped up with a catch-and-shoot jumper, but Khyzhnjak carried on finding ways to score in the paint, as he made free throws for a 27-18 Makedonikos deficit. He didn't find much help around for a while, while Gintaras Einikis came off a pick-and-roll to drill an uncontested three while Delininkaitis fed Jasaitis for a fast break layup, giving Rytas a 14-point lead, 32-18. Makedonikos tried to change things with a timeout, but Einikis stepped up with a left-handed layup while Andrius Slezas added a tip-in for a new biggest margin, 36-18. Makedonikos could not find the way to the basket, with poor shot selection and many turnovers, as Rytas kept full control of the game. Einikis made his trademark hook shot which capped a game-breaking 11-0 run, as Makedonikos went scoreless for almost 4 minutes until Nenad stepped up with a running layup. After a couple of unproductive offense, Slezas rescued Rytas with a triple from the top of the key, boosting his team's margin to 41-20. Khyzhnjak returned to the floor and found a put-back basket which Mickael followed with a driving basket to bring Makedonikos within 41-24. Javtokas found another mid-range jumper and Mujezinovic added a free throw to make Rytas reach the locker room with a 20-point margin, 44-24. Rytas' defense limited Makedonikos to 9-for-32 shooting in the opening half.

Pete Mickeal
Makedonikos came back to the court with a different attitude, as Mickeal went coast-to-coast for a power layup, but its aggressiveness in defense didn't pay off as expected. Meanwhile, Javtokas had a huge block on Mickeal while Stelmahers scored free throws off a technical called on Papamakarios, who returned to the bench with 4 fouls. Delininkaitis took over with a big three-pointer, as Rytas shined again in defense with alternative defenses. Coach Pedoulakis tried to find answers by calling a timeout and bringing Hutson and Rimac back on court. Hutson was fouled twice made 3 of 4 free throws, his first points in the game, but his team trailed 51-29 midway through the third. Both teams had already entered the foul bonus and Rytas got the most out of it, as Nesby made 4 of 4 from the line to make it a 25-point game, 55-30. He added an outstanding left-handed dunk for a new biggest margin for his team, 57-30, as Makedonikos carried on having troubles in both ends. Rimac made free throws and Mickeal stepped up with a basket-plus-foul, but Rytas did not allow any kind of comeback. Jasaitis nailed a six-meter jumper and added a layup for a 61-35 lead. Rimac made a driving basket to bring Makedonikos within 62-41 after 30 minutes.

Rytas struggled to score even from the free throw line, but its defense did the rest, as Makedonikos ran out of time. Rimac nailed a three already in the final minute for a 73-67 deficit. Delininkaitis made a free throw with 48.1 seconds to go and Hutson scored in the paint before a carousel of free throws started. Konstantinos Charalampidis and Jasaitis made 2 apiece for a 77-71 Rytas lead with 21.7 seconds to go. Rimac got Makedonikos within 77-74 with a another three, but Javtokas sealed the win with a free throw with 6.4 seconds to go, allowing his team to celebrate the ULEB Cup title!

ducks
04-19-2005, 04:02 PM
cheap replacement for ....horry,massenburg or marks?

RobinsontoDuncan
04-19-2005, 04:02 PM
well.... go sign him then

whottt
04-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Props to the Spurs for picking another winner!

Amazing that this guy was in a life threatening accident and it was questionable if he would ever even walk correcly again, much less play basketball again..

Yet here he sits as the MVP of a pretty high paying league and has lifted his team to Euroleague status...

On scale this would be like an NCAA player having crippling injuries and coming back to help his team win the NCAA title..and winning the finals MVP.

This is a very impressive accomplishment for Robertas and I have to think the prospects of him coming to the NBA have increased signifigantly!

At the Olympics RC said he was just a shade under being NBA material and that if not for the accident he would probably already be in the NBA.

exstatic
04-19-2005, 04:11 PM
:lmao Well, we finally found out what happened to Ty Nesby. Ghost would be upset that his boy is exiled to Europe.

whottt
04-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Post Game Interview with Javtokas(his English is very good) (mms://a921.v64449.c6444.e.vm.akamaistream.net/7/921/6444/3cb5a5b2/artmedia.download.akamai.com/6444/04_05/Javtokas_MVP.wmv)

timvp
04-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Post Game Interview with Javtokas(his English is very good) (mms://a921.v64449.c6444.e.vm.akamaistream.net/7/921/6444/3cb5a5b2/artmedia.download.akamai.com/6444/04_05/Javtokas_MVP.wmv)

Nice find. Looks like it was a big deal.

His English should be good seeing as though he went to parts of high school and college in the US.

ducks
04-19-2005, 05:43 PM
is his enlgish as good as ducks though?

exstatic
04-19-2005, 05:57 PM
ducks at work or ducks at home? :lol

whottt
04-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Nice find. Looks like it was a big deal.

His English should be good seeing as though he went to parts of high school and college in the US.

That would explain it...yeah I forgot he and LeBron are friends or something like that.

Some words it sounded like he didn't even have an accent really.

TMSKILZ
04-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Fine, so let's sign him before the yr ends eh?

Can we? Salary cap room to fit him & Scola & DBrown for next season?

ducks
04-19-2005, 06:05 PM
That would explain it...yeah I forgot he and LeBron are friends or something like that.

Some words it sounded like he didn't even have an accent really.
he likes lebron
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

whottt
04-19-2005, 06:08 PM
That's a good question...I dunno how the Spurs could pull that off.

He's valued lower than Brown or Scola so he'd probably be the odd man out.....I personally like his game though and think he could make it in the NBA...at worst he's a tradeable commodity...but I'd really like to keep a guy that has made it back as far as he has...he's not a normal guy.

The fact that the play by play guys were commenting on his jumping ability is very telling...that was the main reason the Spurs drafted him, it was something everyone thought he had lost after the accident...and it's sounds like has gotten his leaping ability back now.

Dunno what they are going to do with him...but there aren't very many great defensive C's in the NBA and so if you have one you don't want to let him go for nothing.

He was drafted before Scola so I am not sure how much longer the Spurs will retain his rights.

T Park
04-19-2005, 06:15 PM
wow.

Would this make the Spurs rethink bringing over Scola???

Javtokas next to Duncan, would be like Mohammed but with better jumping ability.

Plus he is lithuanian, so that means he can shoot right?

RC and POP do it again.....

T Park
04-19-2005, 06:17 PM
If he is a good defensive center, and he plays good D here.

Then, IMO, he makes Nesterovic and that 7 million expendable.

grjr
04-19-2005, 06:40 PM
Plus he is lithuanian, so that means he can shoot right?

I wouldn't count on that one Tpark from what I've seen of him.

T Park
04-19-2005, 06:42 PM
Damn, figures.

The Spurs get one lithanian and he shoots like a slovenian. JUST KIDDING!!!

TMSKILZ
04-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Well I look @ it like this, the kid is better (except for Tim, DRob & undersized Rose) than any other BIG man we've had here since the 1999 title run.

Perdue probably better jump shot, but Javtokas is probably hands down the most athletically gifted BIG man since the GREAT DROB!

You add him to back up & come off the bench behind Tim, Nazr & Rasho, that's excellent depth! He'll bring Def, never have enough shot blockers & guys who if they don't block shots, can @ least alter them & have opoosing players (especially the ballas who love to drive the lane) keep in mind that their shot can be blocked.

His Offense @ this point would be icing on the cake. I could see him getting easy points off of TP penetrations inside dishing off for easy Dunks & with his athletic talent, he'll no doubt make our open court running style more potent, plus he's not a stiff like Rasho, guy can move around.

I see him getting most his points like a young Omare (Suns) on dunks, since his Omare's jump shot sucks!

If it meant sending Rasho off in a trade so be it. I'll take a TD, Scola, Javtokas, Nazr anyday! A team like the Cavs would take & could use Rasho, since reports here in in NYC state that the Cavs All Star Center "Z" would like to sign with the Knicks as a free agent after this season. Papers stated he's been Apt hunting in the NY area & feels comfortable & like NYC a lot.

whottt
04-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Javtokas shot 50% from 3 point range this season! Who says he has no shot?

whottt
04-19-2005, 06:50 PM
I was thinking about Rasho's days being numbered...and then I realized I was on the same side of an argument as Chump, that lead me to fear I was about to be wrong about something so I reexamined by position and it suddenly dawned on me...

The Spurs can't do anything with Rasho even if Nazr turns out to be great, because no one knows what Nazr will do when his contract comes up...he might not even want to stay in San Antonio....and he might get overpaid....Rasho remains a good deal.

Trade Rasho and then if Nazr bails on you ur C situation becomes a liablity.

And I believe we have Nazr's bird rights so doing a S&T with him is always an option...and we could get something nice for him...

The Spurs will take the cheaper guy over the guy looking to get $$$...Rasho will stay IMO.

TMSKILZ
04-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Maybe you're right, but unless Rasho improves, he'll become our version of Olawonkandi, getting paid big bucks,but not giving you much.

Man I would take the center from the Bobcats over Rasho!

whottt
04-19-2005, 07:04 PM
The C from the Bobcats is awesome! He's already like a top 5 C in the entire league!

I think Rasho is a good C....he's a good defender and he once was a good offensive player...he plays team ball and doesn't have ego issues. Rasho has talent on all sides of the ball...he just doesn't use it at the same time for some reason.

Rasho is a bargain for his contract...Nazr won't be IMO.

ducks
04-19-2005, 07:20 PM
to bad okfur has a bad back

ChumpDumper
04-19-2005, 07:29 PM
I was thinking about Rasho's days being numbered...and then I realized I was on the same side of an argument as ChumpIt would help if you actually read the "argument." You'd find that I said no such thing.

Congrats to Robertas. I'd love to see him in summer league.

Solid D
04-19-2005, 08:23 PM
:lmao Well, we finally found out what happened to Ty Nesby. Ghost would be upset that his boy is exiled to Europe.

Yeah, they went and signed Nesby a while back - around the time Fred House, their primary scorer, went down with an injury.

Javtokas seems to be a fairly steady player for Rytas. Nothing flashy but he is a solid contributor inside for them.

JUUOT
04-19-2005, 09:49 PM
duncan with scola as back up
rasho with nazr for center pair

i think mass and maybee even horry will just have to let their place for this robertas
we will see

SLOVENIAN 8
04-20-2005, 01:44 AM
Yea!! And the coach is Slovenian Tomo Mahoric !!

http://www.siol.net/Doc/Img/10041010504192032350-3-15-3-1.jpg
http://www.siol.net/Doc/Img/10041010504192032350-4-15-3-1.jpg

that was good team defens and team work. Javtokas has 14 pts, 5 reb. lol For me nothing so special.

AFE7FATMAN
04-20-2005, 05:36 AM
I remember when it came out that Javtokas could pick a dime off the top of a back board. I also remember when he dunked on a basket set a 11'3".

Bye-Bye Marks/Mass

TMSKILZ
04-20-2005, 09:41 AM
I hope we can fit him & Scola into our cap & roster for next season. Even if Javtokas doesn't get much playing time, which would be the case since Rasho, Tim & Nazr, barring injury will log more mins, but the kid has talent & to me he's better than having Mass & Marks off the bench!

Whott I agree that Rasho has talent, my frustration, as is the case with the majority of us Spurs fans is the fact he doesn't utilize it much & is inconsistent & looks like he has gotten worst offensively from last yr & his days with the T'Puppies!

Def wise Rasho helps us a great deal, but on the offensive side of the ball, it's like we're playing 4 against 5 b/c he's not involved much @ all & has such an ugly jump shot.

I say bring Scola & Javtokas over & try to sign/draft a legit young, long, talented SF whom we can groom until Bowen calls it quits.

Devin Brown has me excited b/c he has grown a great deal the past 2 seasons, if only he can stay healthy & get that herniated back fixed, we'd be super dangerous.