PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: McDyess and friends limit Nowitzki

duncan228
11-12-2009, 12:57 AM
McDyess and friends limit Nowitzki (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/McDyess_and_friends_limit_Nowitzki.html)
Mike Monroe

As Spurs forward Antonio McDyess walked on the court for the second half against the Mavericks, one bit of recent history ran around his brain: Dirk Nowitzki's 29 fourth-quarter points against the Jazz on Nov.3.

McDyess was the primary defender on Nowitzki in the first half of the Spurs' 92-83 victory Wednesday, limiting him to seven points on 3-for-13 shooting.

Determined to prevent another second-half explosion by the 2007 MVP, McDyess made sure all his teammates were ready for a Nowitzki surge.

“You can't overlook that,” McDyess said. “I think when the fourth quarter came, we all made a conscious effort to help out on him and make it hard for him.”

By game's end, Nowitzki had scored 29 points, but he needed 27 shots and 10 free throws to get them.

“We used a lot of different guys (on Nowitzki),” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “I thought Antonio did as good a job as you can do against a Hall of Fame player. Some other guys took their turns, too.”

Matt Bonner and Richard Jefferson were the defensive co-conspirators on Nowitzki, but the bulk of the chore fell to McDyess.

“I just tried to crowd him, make him work for his shots and not give him any easy looks,” McDyess said. “I know he gets a lot of shots and comes off a lot of screens. I just wanted to be up on him as close as possible without fouling and make it as tough as possible.”

Compounding McDyess' problems when Nowitzki got more aggressive going to the basket: The injury absence of Tim Duncan, which left the Spurs short-handed on the frontline.

One shall return: After playing their second game without All-Stars Duncan and Tony Parker, the Spurs are likely to get at least one of them back in the lineup for Saturday's game against Oklahoma City, Popovich said.

Popovich wouldn't say which of his All-Stars he expects to play or whether it is possible both may get back on the court.

Retiring type: Mavs coach Rick Carlisle isn't shedding tears for Bruce Bowen, the former Spurs defensive ace who retired after he was traded to the Milwaukee Bucks in a deal that brought Jefferson to the Spurs.

“At some point, a guy has got to retire,” Carlisle said. “... Is it a little weird? Probably, yeah, because he's been a big part of the culture here, on the one hand. On the other hand, the guy just had a tremendous career.”

Slideshow.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/Spurs_stomp_Mavs_92-83_111109.html

duncan228
11-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Dallas Mavericks still demanding too much from Dirk (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/111209dnspomavsQT.3ed284e.html)
by Eddie Sefco / The Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO – For better or worse, Dirk Nowitzki tried to do it all Wednesday night.

Nobody else was volunteering for the job, so he figured he'd go for it.

On the second night of back-to-back games, and with San Antonio's dig-in defense constantly hounding him, Nowitzki's magic didn't happen this time. He had moments. But in the end, it was a hard lesson that this particular Mavericks team can't revert to the days when they asked Dirk to do it all.

The 9-for-27 shooting only tells part of the story. It was a rugged night all the way for Nowitzki – and everybody else – because of the Spurs' defense. But in the end, it still looked like the Mavericks were asking for too much from their star.

"It's unfortunate it comes down to having to throw the ball to Dirk every time and have him win the game on his own," coach Rick Carlisle said. "We're not going to play on a high level and win at a high level doing that."

It's like Jason Kidd said a week earlier when Nowitzki had 29 fourth-quarter points against Utah. If the Mavericks ask him to do that regularly, he'll be used up by Christmas.

Nowitzki is willing to put it all on him. But when the Mavericks fall behind like they seem to every game, at some point, isn't all this other depth and talent supposed to kick in?

Manufan909
11-12-2009, 02:15 AM
Nowitzki is willing to put it all on him. But when the Mavericks fall behind like they seem to every game, at some point, isn't all this other depth and talent supposed to kick in?

Owned.:lol

UnWantedTheory
11-12-2009, 03:01 AM
It burns sooo Good....

Tp9gospursgo
11-12-2009, 03:41 AM
Mavs are the only team to beat the lakers so far and e beat them w/o 2 of our players...cant wait to play the lakers

Riverwalkman
11-12-2009, 04:04 AM
At this point, Dice can start with Duncan and Spurs will have a better way than playing small ball when playing against teams like Mavs.

Riverwalkman
11-12-2009, 04:08 AM
[QUOTE]One shall return: After playing their second game without All-Stars Duncan and Tony Parker, the Spurs are likely to get at least one of them back in the lineup for Saturday's game against Oklahoma City, Popovich said.

Popovich wouldn't say which of his All-Stars he expects to play or whether it is possible both may get back on the court.[QUOTE]

I guess it would be Parker. Let Duncan rest.

Xylus
11-12-2009, 04:21 AM
I think this win was all your team needed to get things going. Great teams can get off to bad starts. In '06-'07, the Suns started off 1-5, while the Mavs started off 0-4, I believe. Suns ended up battling the Spurs in the infamous suspension series, and the Mavs rattled off 67 wins by season's end.

An impressive win over a rival is all you guys needed to propel the defense. And with your current roster, offense will probably never be much of a long-term problem.