PDA

View Full Version : Zone Defense: Spurs Weakness?

ceperez
11-12-2009, 06:43 AM
It seems like the zone is tripping up the Spurs. It's not just the last game against the Mavs (13 points in the final quarter) when the Spurs went on a scoring drought, but its been for maybe the past 2 previous seasons.

Spurs players like Manu and Parker have a real knack for exploiting defenders based on how they react. The thing about the zone defense is that defenders don't commit to any other than defending a space. So you don't know that when you move to a space whether the defense collapses on you or one man takes on you. Which makes it difficult for the Spurs drivers to anticipate what do do. The Spurs tend to exploit temporary break downs in defense to know when to fire of a high percentage shot. In the situation where all attempts have an equal percentage, then Spurs players seem to become confused as whether a shot is the right one and second guess themselves, as a result they miss a lot more.

Then there's that option where you kick out to a 3 point shooter (another Spurs staple). The problem is the perimeter defenders haven't again committed to collapse into the paint, that leaves the shooter uncomfortably close to his defender. In essence, our spot up shooters aren't open enough.

Bonner against the Mavs bailed us out here in that he's going to take that 3 point shot every time he's open. He's not going to think about it and he's got enough length that the usual zone defense is a bit to far to contest his shot.

The other smaller 3 point shooters were not quite as open. With one exception, Roger Mason who only needs a little space... he however was wide open and was second guessing himself into atrocious 1-7 shooting.

Rummpd
11-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Valid points but when you are missing two 20 point potential scorers on your team in same night due to injuries you got to get by. Parker is the one Spur other than Ginobili who can drive the opponents nuts driving to the hoop zone or no zone.

coyotes_geek
11-12-2009, 08:21 AM
The zone did give the Spurs some trouble last night. But putting Parker out there would have made a big difference.

all_heart
11-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Don't worry, it's the first time (that I know of) the Spurs have seen a zone D this year, they'll figure it out. Kinda nice that the Spurs were so effective offensively that the Mavs had to give zone D a try. Either way dribble drive penetration usually breaks the zone. This is where TP does his tear drop in the paint.. look for it.

YoMamaIsCallin
11-12-2009, 09:34 AM
No biggie. They got tons of good looks, just had trouble knocking them down for about a 5 minute stretch until Bonner hit his game-changing unconscious 3.

The Mavs essentially gambled that the Spurs would not make jump shots. They had to because they couldn't stop the Spurs in man-to-man. So they tried to change it up. It worked for a while.

the crimson blur
11-12-2009, 09:58 AM
They probably haven't even practiced against zone yet :lol

senorglory
11-12-2009, 10:36 AM
George Karl, Nuggets: “My zone offense is to put three guys on the court who can make 3s and have them make a couple.”

According to the NYTimes, NBA teams haven't embraced zone, spend little time practicing zone, and so are often surprised by zone when they encounter it during a game.
Subtly, Zone Defense Helps Open Game (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/28/sports/basketball/28zone.html) NYTIMES 2/27/09

nkdlunch
11-12-2009, 10:43 AM
you live and die by the zone

anonoftheinternets
11-12-2009, 12:01 PM
well im glad they went to zone, coz the as easy way to break the zone it to kill them from long range after drive penetration to suck 2 defenenders and swing the ball. Plus this is why the players learn to step up like bonner. I was pleasantly suprisied that he was up to the task of nailing htat three. Hope he does it in the PO this year though.

ElNono
11-12-2009, 12:03 PM
I thought we did ok. In the first half they tried it, and Bogans went baseline for a layup. Then they stopped. I think on the second half it had to do more with us playing with house money (the lead) trying to nail a three pointer than really attacking the zone.

DPG21920
11-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Dude, you cannot come up with these crazy threads after every single game. Look at the big picture. You are setting yourself up for failure. NBA teams, even good ones, go through ups and downs.

If you are looking at every single game in isolation, you will say they have a problem one night, then the next night look like a fool.

Bogans no longer sucks, Haislip is not any good, the Spurs defense looks better, Malik is getting the same amount of playing time as any 12th man, and the zone defense was only a problem last night.

SenorSpur
11-12-2009, 12:40 PM
The best way to break down a zone defense is to shoot the other team out of it. You've got to make the other team pay by forcing them to come out and run shooters off the arc. In turn, creating penetration lanes to the basket. Can't have shooters going 1-7 or 2-10.

NFGIII
11-12-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm in agreement with many who believe that with TP on the floor the zone will not work very well. Add in TD and I think it will be short lived against the Spurs.

Another situation would be to put RJ, Manu and TP on the floor at the same time then we have three players that can create. With their ability to create and drive to the the rim the Spurs need proper spacing and move the ball to create the open Js. Dice had several in the 4th Q which he missed (he was 4 for 10). The Spurs must be able to hit the open J if they are going to bust the zone. I think the Spurs will handle the zone much easier with a full roster and time to mesh as a team.

Though they struggled against the zone versus the Mavs it was an early season situation. Not worried at this time. Now if this continues into say Jan/Feb then I would be concerned.

I noticed against the Mavs that they were struggling against the zone late in the 4th Q and then in came Hill. We then were able to get some buckets and rebounds. I think it was him that drove and kicked to Bonner for the 3 which stretched the lead out to 7 after Terry had hit the 3 to cut it to 4 at 83-79.

Way to early now. Pop is experimenting with the lineups so we will see some different ones. Some will work while others will make you wonder.

Mel_13
11-12-2009, 02:03 PM
I noticed against the Mavs that they were struggling against the zone late in the 4th Q and then in came Hill. We then were able to get some buckets and rebounds. I think it was him that drove and kicked to Bonner for the 3 which stretched the lead out to 7 after Terry had hit the 3 to cut it to 4 at 83-79.

Hill was in the game for entire period of the 4th quarter drought. Bonner was substituted in for Bogans after the Terry 3. RJ assisted on the Bonner 3.

ChumpDumper
11-12-2009, 02:06 PM
I had to check again to see if the Spurs actually won last night.

bigdog
11-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Actually, I thought the Spurs did a decent job against the zone. They found some holes in the zone with Dyess hitting a couple of shots, some shots were missed by other guys too. I agree that the zone did cause some stupid passes across the court, but I don't think it gave them too much trouble.

Dice
11-12-2009, 03:17 PM
I agree with what a lot of the guys have already said about Tony being able to break down these zones.

That being said, I feel like the team only struggled against it for a short period of time and just needed to adjust. They got a little too much into attack mode and got a little out of sync. They adjusted and got the W.

TJastal
11-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Manu got way out of control for a few minutes trying to do way too many nifty passes and shots.

Wish he'd just stick to the basics sometimes.

LongtimeSpursFan
11-12-2009, 04:42 PM
They need to hire a CYO coach. The zone defense is used by most teams. After while it is easy to break down defense.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
11-12-2009, 05:56 PM
When you're facing a zone and you can't hit 3 pointers to open it, ball movement and player rotation without the ball is the key. Some time ago, before Pop went in love with small ball and Finley playing PF, the Spurs used to use their bigs as passers in flex offense for some streches, whether it was out of a pick or from the post. I think that Duncan, McDyess, and maybe even Bonner can pass the ball effectively. It will take some time, tho',

EricB
11-12-2009, 06:01 PM
When you're facing a zone and you can't hit 3 pointers to open it, ball movement and player rotation without the ball is the key. Some time ago, before Pop went in love with small ball and Finley playing PF, the Spurs used to use their bigs as passers in flex offense for some streches, whether it was out of a pick or from the post. I think that Duncan, McDyess, and maybe even Bonner can pass the ball effectively. It will take some time, tho',

You mean 2 of the 3 bigs they had out there?

The Spurs played the zone fine.

Ginobili would break down the D, or Hill and kick it out for wide open 3s. The Spurs just didn't knock em down.

Bonner however BROKE the zone with that big 3 and Jefferson and what not cutting to the basket for Hill's jumper killed it too.

The Spurs no longer will be troubled with the zone now thats for sure.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
11-12-2009, 06:16 PM
You mean 2 of the 3 bigs they had out there?

The Spurs played the zone fine.

Ginobili would break down the D, or Hill and kick it out for wide open 3s. The Spurs just didn't knock em down.

Bonner however BROKE the zone with that big 3 and Jefferson and what not cutting to the basket for Hill's jumper killed it too.

The Spurs no longer will be troubled with the zone now thats for sure.

There was a stretch where the shots, even if they were wide open, weren't going in. That's when the Mavs cut the difference. In those times, moving the ball a little more in motion offense, looking for a basket cut or back picks, can lead to an easy uncontested layup. Specially when the opposing team is losing, they may gamble for a steal and leave a hole in the zone.

exstatic
11-12-2009, 08:56 PM
The downside of the zone is that you surrender the offensive boards, because you don't have a "man" to put a body on. We matched Dallas 47/47 on the boards, and they usually kick our asses there by 8-10 boards. The stake in the heart play of the game was that Jefferson O rebound putback on the Manu flubbed end of break play, where he left the push shot short. That was possible because we forced them into a zone.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-13-2009, 12:37 AM

Exactly! Cut at the seams, drive at the seams, move constantly and swing the ball. Space will open up.