PDA

View Full Version : Fans of Defense: A Breath of Fresh Air

Parker2112
11-12-2009, 03:03 PM
I feel like a noose of piss-poor defense is slowly releasing from my neck. Like other Spurs fans who love seeing us lock opposing teams in a prison cell of hopelessness, disgust, and despair, I feel like I may be able to breath again.

Part One: A Breath of Fresh Air.
Last night was the first time in a LONG time Spurs fans saw quality defense from their team. Our guys not only played damn good D, but if you ask me we bullied the Mavs last night. We were physical with everybody on the floor. At one point Keith Bogans head butted Dirk in the chest while maintaining position, and I thought he was going to try and gnaw out his itty-bitty heart. The thing is, with many more performances like this Dirk won't have any heart left.

Like the rest of you I've been excited all summer, and I've seen potential, but I never knew we would ever have a shot at playing championship defense again. I had to see it to believe it.

Well, after last night, I have a new kind of excitement. Greater than just signing a potent offensive player like RJ, or a solid post-player like Dice to our team.

Just how excited, you ask? The kind of excited you get when you realize that the sketchy chick you slept with and never called back but who called you to tell you might be a daddy when she missed her period last month finally calls you to tell you she is on the rag.

I CAN LIVE! I CAN BREATHE! You know...that kind of excitement.

Part Two: Thank You.
Thank you George. Thank you Keith. Thank you Dice. Thank you RJ. Thank you Pop.

Your combined effort brought an egg fumbling out of Dirk's uterus like so many loose balls rolling across the hardwood, and I can breathe again.

Part Three: Tony...Timmy...Don't mess this up.
Tony, I know in the past you haven't had to play lock-down D. You've had a world-class defender behind you who could pick up the slack. You've had the benefit of Pop's strategies, and you didn't have to do any more than direct the traffic into Tim. Well Tony, Timmy is not the man he once was. Our defensive effort last night took five guys. Tony, son, your going to have to grow some teeth on D.

And Timmy, I know your knee/ankle/foot hurts from carrying this city on your back for a decade, but you're gonna have to dig in and show these youngsters how a future hall of famer does things on the defensive end.

The excuses just followed Fin Dog and RJ to the other end of the bench guys. Let's get back to business.

Part Four: Hang on for Your Life Matty.
Matty, I saw you out there last night, digging in with everything you had. Well, what you did was just enough. But just remember, you need to keep that Grand Prix moving forward, or you may find yourself rolling on mass transit again... the light rail back to Toronto.

Aww, who am I kidding. But do it for the fans, even if Pop doesn't insist on anything more than "Hands up Matty" defense.

:lobt2:

DBMethos
11-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Just how excited, you ask? The kind of excited you get when you realize that the sketchy chick you slept with and never called back but who called you to tell you might be a daddy when she missed her period last month finally calls you to tell you she is on the rag.

LMAO...you're right. It does kinda feel like that.

Spursmania
11-12-2009, 03:16 PM
:toast

SamoanTD
11-12-2009, 03:24 PM
very true my man :flag:

thispego
11-12-2009, 05:45 PM
better than macdonald

stéphane
11-12-2009, 06:14 PM
better than macdonald

You think? :lol

As much as I dislike McDonald for his type of articles at least he doesn't say some bs like the op can.

It's a common thing on this board but people act like every game is the universal truth, ready for suicide and firing pop trading our star player after a loss or in the current situation thinking the return of a future HoF and a veteran all star could hurt the team... :ihit

Parker2112
11-12-2009, 06:31 PM
You think? :lol

As much as I dislike McDonald for his type of articles at least he doesn't say some bs like the op can.

It's a common thing on this board but people act like every game is the universal truth, ready for suicide and firing pop trading our star player after a loss or in the current situation thinking the return of a future HoF and a veteran all star could hurt the team... :ihit

Actually, I don't think the return of either will hurt our team. I just hope that the effort of our guys last night will renew TP and TD's devotion to D.

Honestly, this season I've seen Timmy struggle with interior D, and I've seen Tony go through the motions out there. Sometimes the guys with something to prove (Hill, Bogans) can ratchet things up for the veterans, who tend to get caught up in the slow decline over long periods (due to finley, RJ, etc).

I just hope TP and TD are as inspired as I am by the possibilities here, and bring their best effort to the table.:married:

borders
11-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Defense is kinda pointless and boring. As long as you score more than the opponent, you usually win.

Parker2112
11-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Defense is kinda pointless and boring. As long as you score more than the opponent, you usually win.

OMG.:wow

watch what you say! you may have to trade your spurs card for a phoenix fan club membership:lol

How long have you been a spurs fan anyway?

Obstructed_View
11-12-2009, 08:02 PM
OMG.:wow

watch what you say! you may have to trade your spurs card for a phoenix fan club membership:lol

How long have you been a spurs fan anyway?

I'd say he's been a Spurs fan for about 21 posts.

jag
11-12-2009, 08:32 PM
As long as you score more than the opponent, you usually win.

Just usually?

douche

#2!
11-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Just usually?

douche

:lmaoserved

quentin_compson
11-13-2009, 05:43 AM

You borrowed that from How I Met Your Mother, didn't you? :eyebrows

Parker2112
11-13-2009, 12:48 PM
You borrowed that from How I Met Your Mother, didn't you? :eyebrows

I've never seen it.

It actually happened to me back in '93...:lol

duhoh
11-13-2009, 12:56 PM

someone's never noticed Don Nelson or Mike D'antoni.

:bang:bang:bang

JWest596
11-13-2009, 03:05 PM
It's coming slow but sure. Dallas was a superb demonstration of things to come.

senorglory
11-13-2009, 04:45 PM
This offseason, I heard Parker refer to himself as one of the top defensive guards in the league.

Parker2112
11-14-2009, 01:13 AM
This offseason, I heard Parker refer to himself as one of the top defensive guards in the league.

I saw too many games last year where we traded buckets with opposing teams, and where we gave up too many points from behind the three-point line to buy this.

But I would love too see him prove this on the court over the season though...

draft87
11-14-2009, 01:26 AM

Fuck yeah. Keep the good word coming :lobt:

BadOne
11-14-2009, 01:42 AM
I feel like a noose of piss-poor defense is slowly releasing from my neck. Like other Spurs fans who love seeing us lock opposing teams in a prison cell of hopelessness, disgust, and despair, I feel like I may be able to breath again.

Last night was the first time in a LONG time Spurs fans saw quality defense from their team. Our guys not only played damn good D, but if you ask me we bullied the Mavs last night. We were physical with everybody on the floor. At one point Keith Bogans head butted Dirk in the chest while maintaining position, and I thought he was going to try and gnaw out his itty-bitty heart. The thing is, with many more performances like this Dirk won't have any heart left.

Like the rest of you I've been excited all summer, and I've seen potential, but I never knew we would ever have a shot at playing championship defense again. I had to see it to believe it.

Well, after last night, I have a new kind of excitement. Greater than just signing a potent offensive player like RJ, or a solid post-player like Dice to our team.

Your combined effort brought an egg fumbling out of Dirk's uterus like so many loose balls rolling across the hardwood, and I can breathe again.

Tony, I know in the past you haven't had to play lock-down D. You've had a world-class defender behind you who could pick up the slack. You've had the benefit of Pop's strategies, and you didn't have to do any more than direct the traffic into Tim. Well Tony, Timmy is not the man he once was. Our defensive effort last night took five guys. Tony, son, your going to have to grow some teeth on D.

And Timmy, I know your knee/ankle/foot hurts from carrying this city on your back for a decade, but you're gonna have to dig in and show these youngsters how a future hall of famer does things on the defensive end.

The excuses just followed Fin Dog and RJ to the other end of the bench guys. Let's get back to business.

Matty, I saw you out there last night, digging in with everything you had. Well, what you did was just enough. But just remember, you need to keep that Grand Prix moving forward, or you may find yourself rolling on mass transit again... the light rail back to Toronto.

Aww, who am I kidding. But do it for the fans, even if Pop doesn't insist on anything more than "Hands up Matty" defense.

:toast I don't think anyone here could've said it better my friend. :flag:

benefactor
11-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Good post. :tu

wut
11-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Parker's a capable defender, but a good defender....no.

Parker2112
11-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Good post. :tu

Parker2112
11-14-2009, 07:51 PM
:toast I don't think anyone here could've said it better my friend. :flag:

Parker2112
11-14-2009, 07:52 PM
better than macdonald

SenorSpur
11-14-2009, 10:45 PM

Wonderfully done!

Parker2112
11-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Wonderfully done!

Thanks, Senor! I tend to agree with your posts about 99% of the time...glad to see you agree with my take here:toast