PDA

View Full Version : Poker nights at bars in SA?

Please_dont_ban_me
11-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Do you guys know any?

I've put together a list of a few, but it's hard to find on Google. Especially the smaller mom and pop type places.

======
Update
======

1) Around the Bend
8380 Eckhert Rd., San Antonio TX 78240; Tel. 210.699.3418

2) Hooligan's Bar & Grill
13920 I-35 North, Live Oak TX 78233; Tel. 210.654.4444

3) Twenty Grand
5943 Bandera
(210) 523-5544

4) Firehouse

5) Hotshot Billiards

blizz
11-12-2009, 07:59 PM
well lets have em...whats on your list? whats the buy in and whats the pay out?

phyzik
11-12-2009, 08:14 PM
2 of my friends are managers for both of the Hotshot billiards locations (which are owned by another mutual friend). One is literally next door to the Alamo Drafthouse off of 410 just before Marbach. The other is off of Blanco and Basse in one of those mini-mall buildings.

I know for a fact they have Texas hold'em every Wednesday at the one on Blanco and basse. It starts around 7:00 I think , and I think the payout is $75 for the winner.

The one on 410 next to the Alamo draft house I THINK is the same but I havnt been there in a while.

They have perks, like giving you an extra $1000 in chips if you are drinking a beer or bring along a new-comer or if you are a new-comer yourself.

no buy in for either location... its illegal to gamble in Texas without a legal license to do so. Legit bars will not have a buy in and will have a small payout. If you find a place that requires a buy in, chances are they will get raided and shut down after not too long by TABC.

And no, even if I gave you my friends names (Tom at the one on Blanco and basse, Mario at the one next to the Drafthouse) they wont be able to hook you up with anything if you brought up my name. They dont even do that shit for me. :lol (well, sometimes I can run an open tab and pay a few days later, but thats just me since I know the owner and they KNOW I will pay).

Besides, they dont run the poker themselves, its run by another guy that they bring in. Plus, they dont recognize me as Phyzik, so too bad for you if you go. :toast

Tom MIGHT recognize Phyzik as its part of my e-mail address but Mario wont. Either way, I've informed them about this post so they wont hook anyone up, they might treat you friendlier than most but that depends if your an asshole or not. Just an FYI, dont test the patience of either of them (meaning dont be a complete drunken asshole in the bar). Mario was a former bounty hunter and security guard, Tom is pretty scrappy himself, neither will hesitate to throw you out.... literally speaking.... Especially Mario. All in all though, they are really straight up guys.

phyzik
11-12-2009, 08:57 PM
On a side note, I've been trying to get a GTG to one of the locations for the past 2 or 3 years with Kori, the one on 410 and Marbach is the larger of the 2, the problem in the past is that I would need to know for sure people would go so I can reserve the tables in front of the big screens. (they have 3, all right next to eachother, and plenty of tables and seats)

They have finger foods but I definately can work it out to where we could order pizza's or something to bring into the bar and if we get enough people I might be able to work out a special on drink prices just for our group with the owner. The Problem is I need to have commitment in advance from Spurstalk members to assure him its worth reserving the tables, and if it fell through he would be pretty pissed....

But if it was hugely successfull, any future GTG's would see even better drink specials and other perks.

Please_dont_ban_me
11-13-2009, 03:16 AM
well lets have em...whats on your list? whats the buy in and whats the pay out?

Around the Bend
8380 Eckhert Rd., San Antonio TX 78240; Tel. 210.699.3418

Hooligan's Bar & Grill
13920 I-35 North, Live Oak TX 78233; Tel. 210.654.4444

Twenty Grand
5943 Bandera
(210) 523-5544

Firehouse

Please_dont_ban_me
11-13-2009, 03:18 AM
2 of my friends are managers for both of the Hotshot billiards locations (which are owned by another mutual friend). One is literally next door to the Alamo Drafthouse off of 410 just before Marbach. The other is off of Blanco and Basse in one of those mini-mall buildings.

I know for a fact they have Texas hold'em every Wednesday at the one on Blanco and basse. It starts around 7:00 I think , and I think the payout is $75 for the winner.

The one on 410 next to the Alamo draft house I THINK is the same but I havnt been there in a while.

They have perks, like giving you an extra $1000 in chips if you are drinking a beer or bring along a new-comer or if you are a new-comer yourself.

no buy in for either location... its illegal to gamble in Texas without a legal license to do so. Legit bars will not have a buy in and will have a small payout. If you find a place that requires a buy in, chances are they will get raided and shut down after not too long by TABC.

And no, even if I gave you my friends names (Tom at the one on Blanco and basse, Mario at the one next to the Drafthouse) they wont be able to hook you up with anything if you brought up my name. They dont even do that shit for me. :lol (well, sometimes I can run an open tab and pay a few days later, but thats just me since I know the owner and they KNOW I will pay).

Besides, they dont run the poker themselves, its run by another guy that they bring in. Plus, they dont recognize me as Phyzik, so too bad for you if you go. :toast

Tom MIGHT recognize Phyzik as its part of my e-mail address but Mario wont. Either way, I've informed them about this post so they wont hook anyone up, they might treat you friendlier than most but that depends if your an asshole or not. Just an FYI, dont test the patience of either of them (meaning dont be a complete drunken asshole in the bar). Mario was a former bounty hunter and security guard, Tom is pretty scrappy himself, neither will hesitate to throw you out.... literally speaking.... Especially Mario. All in all though, they are really straight up guys.

Thanks.

I'll add those to the list. Trying to get to a point I can hit up a few of these spots a week.

Spurstro
11-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Wise Guys on Sunday night.
281/Bitters Area

I think they let you back in the game if you buy a round for the table.

phyzik
11-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks.

I'll add those to the list. Trying to get to a point I can hit up a few of these spots a week.

Just an FYI, I checked with Tom, the one on Blanco and Basse is the only one that's doing poker nights now, some idiots ruined the poker game in the one next to the drafthouse so they have stopped it there (I think a fight broke out and a table was broken). Also, its $50 for the winner now.

MannyIsGod
11-13-2009, 10:29 AM
I'd rather punch my own nuts than go to those things. I went a bit when they first started running those years back but its not poker. Its an all in fest where you spend a few hours with people who are bad at the game and you I generally didn't like.

EmptyMan
11-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Those are some small payouts to spend a few hours with drunkards who are dicking around when you are trying to take the game seriously lol. I've been wondering about this myself.

Granted they are the 90% majority whom the event is meant for.

gambit1990
06-11-2015, 02:31 PM
saw an ad in the current for twenty grand. i'll probably check out that place sometime since idk of other places.

cantthinkofanything
06-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Poker in the front, liquor in the rear. Wait...what?

InRareForm
06-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Taco cabana on bandera