PDA

View Full Version : Finley = Fewest minutes of SA career vs. Mavs. End of an era?

objective
11-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Sure it's probably too early to make any proclamations.

But against Dallas an apparently healthy Michael Finley played 06:49 minutes. The least in any game of his 4+ seasons with the Spurs. On a team with some smallballing due to no Duncan. And for the previous two games he played just under 15 minutes per.

Though there have been a handful of games where he played less than 10 minutes, could this finally be the turning of the tide?

in 08-09 the fewest he played was 13:59 in a blowout win.

in 07-08 he had one game where he played 8:54 in the WCF, and two more games where he played less than 15 minutes in the regular season.

in 06-07 he did have one game where he played a little over eight minutes. In the 05-06 season he never played less than 16 minutes.

When Parker comes back and Pop decides to go with smallball with Hill at the SG for short stints . . . what will happen?

Will we actually see this year something I thought would never happen during normal rotations . . . a DNP-CD ???

EricB
11-12-2009, 07:32 PM
IMO he's getting the 02-03 Steve Smith treatment.

Start out the season as a starter, get replaced by abetter defensive player who can also score a bit.

Looking like thats whats happening IMO, I could be wrong.

TIMMYD!
11-12-2009, 07:33 PM
I'd say he won't get one this year but he will have many more games where that type of playing time happens.

ezau
11-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Fuck Finley, he needs to fucking retire. It's over for him IMHO

ceperez
11-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Finley's percentage from the 3 point line for this year and last year has been the best in his career. .411 last year and a remarkable .538 this year. Stats don't lie.

He has never been much of a penetrator ever since he's joined the Spurs. He's definitely lost a lot of quickness too and that aggressiveness is missing in defense.

But considering his ridiculous 3 point percentage... he's a lock with staying in the team this season.

peskypesky
11-12-2009, 09:31 PM
hopefully he'll stay glued to the bench most of the time. he may still be shooting a high percentage, but that's not enough to earn a lot of playing time.

SpursFan0728
11-12-2009, 09:32 PM
the less min he plays the greater chance of spurs winning.

Parker2112
11-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Finley's percentage from the 3 point line for this year and last year has been the best in his career. .411 last year and a remarkable .538 this year. Stats don't lie.

He has never been much of a penetrator ever since he's joined the Spurs. He's definitely lost a lot of quickness too and that aggressiveness is missing in defense.

But considering his ridiculous 3 point percentage... he's a lock with staying in the team this season.

3 point % aint everything.

If you know Pop, blowing assignments will get you sent to the bench even if you just scored two in a row.

Pop is making a turn here towards defense, and I like it. Finley's minutes may not though.

SenorSpur
11-12-2009, 09:45 PM
This team already shoots enough 3-pt shots. We all know those shots are harder on the road, as the rim seems to get smaller for some players.

Personally, I've had enough of Finley. He's already stayed one year too long. The less I see of him on the court, the better off the Spurs will be.

Seventyniner
11-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Finley's great to have around for end-of-game (or end-of-quarter) situations where you want to space the floor. He was hitting huge threes as recently as the end of last regular season. That last division title banner? It should have Finley's autograph on it.

But I agree that he will and should get fewer minutes, due to both newer players needing on-the-job training to learn the system, and that his defense is too far below average for him to make a big impact.

Big P
11-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Finley = Fewest minutes of SA career vs. Mavs. End of an era?

Lets hope so!

barbacoataco
11-12-2009, 11:47 PM
If Jefferson, Ginobili, Mason and Bogans are all playing at the SF/SG position that leaves Finley as the 5th option. I think he still has value to play limited minutes. The big problem is his defense which is more of a problem with Bowen gone.

KenziE
11-13-2009, 12:03 AM
he shud just look at the mirror and tell himself that its over .... give it up fin

Fabbs
11-13-2009, 01:07 AM
Whatever you do San Antonio media, (or rather don't do), do not ask Pop about this minute reduction for his beloved Finley.

angelbelow
11-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Hes a great locker room guy too. I think Finley should be limited to catch and shoot situations.. he should never be asked to drive and make plays or be aggressive. Just catch and shoot when hes open.

draft87
11-13-2009, 01:28 AM
Sure it's probably too early to make any proclamations.

But against Dallas an apparently healthy Michael Finley played 06:49 minutes. The least in any game of his 4+ seasons with the Spurs. On a team with some smallballing due to no Duncan. And for the previous two games he played just under 15 minutes per.

Though there have been a handful of games where he played less than 10 minutes, could this finally be the turning of the tide?

in 08-09 the fewest he played was 13:59 in a blowout win.

in 07-08 he had one game where he played 8:54 in the WCF, and two more games where he played less than 15 minutes in the regular season.

in 06-07 he did have one game where he played a little over eight minutes. In the 05-06 season he never played less than 16 minutes.

When Parker comes back and Pop decides to go with smallball with Hill at the SG for short stints . . . what will happen?

Will we actually see this year something I thought would never happen during normal rotations . . . a DNP-CD ???

Maybe we should talk more about it after we see this happen a handful of times....? At least more than once.

You know, all this Bonner/Finley/Bogans/hot-cold talk has me staying more in touch with my sister. weird connection right? Well, I've been thinking about her more because spurstalk has triggered memories of high school when I'd hear her say,

"Oh my God, Gina got a new haircut. She thinks she's soooo cool. She thinks she can try to look like Gwyneth Paltrow and we're like nooooot gonna notice. Oh my god is she gonna be like moooooore popular now? Is Tommy gonna take her to the prom? She's totally not good enough for him."

-4 days later-
"Oh my God, Susie got a new haircut. She totally looks like Gwyneth Paltrow so I'm pretty sure nobody is gonna want to take Gina to the prom. Like, now eeeeeverybody knows that she isn't actually special. God, is sooooo obvious that Susie is the most popular girl in school."

-1 day later-
"What the hell is going on? Gina thinks that a haircut and now a new purse is gonna make guys like her? Today at lunch I tooootally caught Mark staring at her ass and I'm like, duuuuhhhh you're only looking at her ass cause her new purse is at the same lev-el. Gina is so trashy and she has thin lips that tooooootally makes her unattractive, why do people fall her tricks? I. DON'T."

-last week-
"Hey Sally, how are you? yeah? How'r the kids? Why am I calling you? Well, you remember back in high school when you used to freak out the third week of the month and whenever you thought that another girl was gonna get more dates than you? Like if someone got a makeover, new hair, new clothes, braces taken off....?
But then at the end of the year you still had a good date to the prom and mom and dad were always annoyed that your phone was always ringing? And how it all is funny, stupid, and inconsequential cause we're all grown up, married and have families? Yeah, well I'm still going through that. WHAT? no no no, I'm not date younger girls, no I'm not having affairs. YES I spend all my time with Nico and Julia. LOOK I'm just telling you a story....anyway, I still like basketball, you remember the days, right? Yeah, anyway I joined a chatroom about the Spurs and the fans, they remind me of you....NO I'M NOT TELLING YOU THAT YOU'RE GETTING OLD!!! nevermind, I'll see you at Thanksgiving. Say Hi to Tommy and the girls for me. Yeah. Love You. Bye.

KenziE
11-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Maybe we should talk more about it after we see this happen a handful of times....? At least more than once.

You know, all this Bonner/Finley/Bogans/hot-cold talk has me staying more in touch with my sister. weird connection right? Well, I've been thinking about her more because spurstalk has triggered memories of high school when I'd hear her say,

"Oh my God, Gina got a new haircut. She thinks she's soooo cool. She thinks she can try to look like Gwyneth Paltrow and we're like nooooot gonna notice. Oh my god is she gonna be like moooooore popular now? Is Tommy gonna take her to the prom? She's totally not good enough for him."

-4 days later-
"Oh my God, Susie got a new haircut. She totally looks like Gwyneth Paltrow so I'm pretty sure nobody is gonna want to take Gina to the prom. Like, now eeeeeverybody knows that she isn't actually special. God, is sooooo obvious that Susie is the most popular girl in school."

-1 day later-
"What the hell is going on? Gina thinks that a haircut and now a new purse is gonna make guys like her? Today at lunch I tooootally caught Mark staring at her ass and I'm like, duuuuhhhh you're only looking at her ass cause her new purse is at the same lev-el. Gina is so trashy and she has thin lips that tooooootally makes her unattractive, why do people fall her tricks? I. DON'T."

-last week-
"Hey Sally, how are you? yeah? How'r the kids? Why am I calling you? Well, you remember back in high school when you used to freak out the third week of the month and whenever you thought that another girl was gonna get more dates than you? Like if someone got a makeover, new hair, new clothes, braces taken off....?
But then at the end of the year you still had a good date to the prom and mom and dad were always annoyed that your phone was always ringing? And how it all is funny, stupid, and inconsequential cause we're all grown up, married and have families? Yeah, well I'm still going through that. WHAT? no no no, I'm not date younger girls, no I'm not having affairs. YES I spend all my time with Nico and Julia. LOOK I'm just telling you a story....anyway, I still like basketball, you remember the days, right? Yeah, anyway I joined a chatroom about the Spurs and the fans, they remind me of you....NO I'M NOT TELLING YOU THAT YOU'RE GETTING OLD!!! nevermind, I'll see you at Thanksgiving. Say Hi to Tommy and the girls for me. Yeah. Love You. Bye.

wow what the hell was this post about? i didnt get it

anonoftheinternets
11-13-2009, 03:13 AM

-4 days later-

-1 day later-

-last week-

wow what is this crap?

Mavs<Spurs
11-13-2009, 04:49 AM
Whatever you do San Antonio media, (or rather don't do), do not ask Pop about this minute reduction for his beloved Finley.

+ 1

Don't want Pop to have any motivation to play Finely more.

Mavs<Spurs
11-13-2009, 04:50 AM

-4 days later-

-1 day later-

-last week-

???

:downspin:

antimvp
11-13-2009, 05:05 AM
bring in sjax

My Fault
11-13-2009, 07:17 AM
Reading to much into it....