PDA

View Full Version : Translation of Manu's Nov.13 column for LaNacion

janieannie
11-13-2009, 01:07 AM
I think this is a reasonably correct translation of Manu's latest column for the Buenos Aires newspaper, La Nacion:

I'll be the father of twins! Many and I are very happy!

First, I want to confirm the great news: I'll be the father of twins! Many and I, of course, are very happy. We are thrilled because we had been looking forward to this for a long time. It is a very important moment of life, and I wanted to comment before talking about basketball. They say these things will change everything. I hope it will go very well. Last Tuesday we did the ultrasound, and we had the confirmation that they are twins. Many is two and a half months pregnant and we estimate that births may not be in Argentina because it would be in early June, a time when I'll be here playing the playoffs or, if we don’t go far, just not going to travel to Argentina with a pregnancy of 8 months. We do not have names yet. In addition, you must play with four variants, ha, ha. We just started thinking. Of course our families already know and are as happy as we.

A different month, right? Including all the implications of the bat, the improvement of this team and the reality show that is being prepared. I want to clarify that the bat was absolutely unthinking. I never imagined doing what I did and that it would be seen by almost 3,000,000 people on the Internet. It was an instinctive reaction. He had bothered us once, twice, and the third time he appeared, I tried to down it and see if I could. I did not expect it would generate much excitement. I did not know many details that bats can spread rabies. There is no study that can detect if you have the virus and, therefore, I had to have the injections. Even if I had a one in a million chance to catch it, I had to. In fact, bats are very important in the ecosystem and only 1% are carriers of the rabies virus.

I have already had six injections, and only the first was a bit painful. On Monday, I receive the 7th and will be finished in a week. The truth is that I never had disgust or fear of bats. Once, when I lived in Bologna, I was eating at the house of Hugo Sconochini and one entered the kitchen. Also in Bahiense del Norte there are usually a lot of them. At night when we went to eat asados (bar be ques), they would fly around. Also in Andino, La Rioja, I found bats. Not that I lived with them, but I'm not impressed. The funny thing is that now the Coyote, the mascot for the Spurs, has begun to dress up as a bat and leaps about, pretends to be scared (of me) and runs away. It's amazing all that this subject hasgenerated! Not to mention the things I saw on Twitter and Facebook. Photos of all types, related to Batman. Without doubt, kids do not imitate me. If a bat touches a wound or bites you, it can be very dangerous, you should know.

Well, let's talk basketball right? Actually we played horrible in Portland and Utah, and we started with a losing record 2-3. Now, despite the absence of Tim (Duncan) and Tony (Parker), we got better. Against Toronto won because we played very well offensively and last night, with Dallas, because the defensive intensity appeared. It makes sense that we had to enhance and multiply the effort because of the lack of Tim and Tony. Luckily Richard Jefferson scored at a great level and was instrumental in the final game. We needed a small forward with his strength and ability to penetrate. I think Tony and Tim could come back tomorrow and we have to get used to playing together again. In particular, I feel good, healthy, and happy to bring things to the team. I'm still a little unsure physically and mentally, but I have to have patience and move forward.

Regarding the reality show, my role is relative. While I am the image of the program and lend my name, I do not organize it and can only be with the boys when they come to San Antonio. I'll talk, we will have some meetings and they are going to see one or two of our games, but I'm not the one who runs things like I do with the Foundation, the marathon In Bahia Blanca, or the visits with the children. I'm like a guest star ...

Fabbs
11-13-2009, 01:11 AM
Props janieannie.

I always enjoy reading direct quotes from the source.

Blackjack
11-13-2009, 01:54 AM
Luckily Richard Jefferson scored at a great level and was instrumental in the final game. We needed a power forward with his strength and ability to penetrate.

I know what he most likely meant and that it was probably lost a bit in translation, but it's hard not to laugh and think that Pop had brainwashed his players into thinking his smallball 4's were really power-forwards. :lol

Thanks, jannieannie. :tu

Riverwalkman
11-13-2009, 02:05 AM
Congrats Manu!

Manu is 32 now, when he become a father he will be 33.

LBJ became a father when he was 19.

Karl Malone became a father when 15.

tp2021
11-13-2009, 02:07 AM
In fact, bats are very important in the ecosystem

They sure educated Manu well for the press!

Riverwalkman
11-13-2009, 02:09 AM
They sure educated Manu well for the press!

:lol Yes, he's very diplomatic.

jalberto
11-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Blade thanks for your contribution to the confusion. What have you done?
I read just a few words and ....... Many is Manu´s wife . it is not: MUCHOS
The original article is here: http://www.canchallena.com/1199007-voy-a-ser-papa-de-mellizos-con-many-estamos-muy-felices

Thanks Janieannie. I read it first in spanish and then your translation and it is Ok.

Pd. Blade, Es diversión a hacer de malo is wrong. It should be: Es divertido hacer de malo

Spurs Brazil
11-13-2009, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the translation

It looks like TP and TD will play tomorrow

Congrats to Manu and Manny.

urunobili
11-13-2009, 08:54 AM
about to finish my own version...

urunobili
11-13-2009, 09:03 AM
http://www.canchallena.com/1199007-voy-a-ser-papa-de-mellizos-con-many-estamos-muy-felices

I will be father of twins! Many and I are really happy

By Manu
Translation - urunobili

First of all, I would like to confirm with you all great news; I will be father of twins! Of course Many and I are very happy. We are thrilled because it has been a while since we have been looking for this. It is a very important moment in our lives and I wanted to share it with you before talking about basketball. They say that this kind of stuff changes it all. I hope everything goes well. Last Tuesday we did the ultra sound and we got the confirmation that they are twins. Many has been pregnant for two months and a half, and we are calculating that they will not be able to be born in Argentina because the date would be early June, time that I will be playing on the playoffs here. Even if we not make it to play that far in the year, we will not be able to travel to Argentina with 8 months of pregnancy. We still haven’t chosen the names. More so, we will have to evaluate with 4 different possibilities, lol. Anyway, we already started thinking about them. Of course our families know about this and they are as happy as we are.

A different type of month isn’t it? After all the bat repercussions, the betterment of the team and now this thing about the reality show that is being prepared. I want to clarify that the bat thing was absolutely unexpected. I never imagined doing what I did and that almost 3 million people over the internet would look at it. It was an instinctive reaction. It had already interrupted the game once, then again and on the third time it showed up I tried to bring him down and I did it. I wasn’t expecting that to generate a big deal. I also didn’t know many details about the contagious rabies they carry. There is no study that can detect if you have the virus so you have to apply all the vaccines just in case. Even with the one in a million possibilities I could have gotten it, I had to do it. Reality is, though they are scary, they are a very important part of our ecosystem and only 1% of them carry the rabies virus.

I am on the 6th vaccine and only the first one was a little painful. On Monday they will be applying the 7th and last and in a week it’ll be all over. Truth is that I have never been grossed out or afraid of bats. When I lived in Bologna, I was eating at Hugo Sconochini’s house and one got in the kitchen. There are a lot in Bahiense del Norte as well. In the evenings, when we got together for our BBQ’s get together, they were flying around. I also found bats in Andino, in La Rioja Province. Is not that I used to live with them, but they never scared me. Now it’s funny to see the Coyote, Spurs mascot, dressing up in a bat suit and when he gets closer to me he jumps, pretends he gets scared and runs away. It’s incredible to see all the hype surrounding this topic. Without even mentioning the Twittering and Facebook comments that I saw after this. Batman related photos from all kinds. Just in case, kids do not try to do this at home. If a bat touches an open wound or to get bitten by one could be very dangerous, you have to know that.

Ok let’s talk about basketball, shall we? We really played horrible versus Portland and Utah and we started with a 2-3 losing record. Now and even with Tim (Duncan) and Tony (Parker) out, we started to get better. Against Toronto we won because we played great offense and last night against Dallas because our defensive intensity came to light. It’s logic that we had to turn up a notch our level and multiply our efforts because we were playing without Tim and Tony. Luckily Richard Jefferson played at a great level and he was decisive on our last game. We needed a Small Forward with his strength and ability to penetrate. I think both Tony and Tim will be ready to go tomorrow and we will have to get used to playing together again. I am feeling particularly well, healthy and happy to be able to contribute to the team. I am still a little shaky on the physical and mental aspect of the game, but I have to be patient and keep on getting better.

About the reality show, my role is relative. Even though I am the image of the show and I lend my name, I do not organize it and I will only be able to be with the kids when they come here to San Antonio. We will talk here, will have some meetings and they will be able to come to one or two of our matches, but I am not the one that sets everything up like the stuff I do with the Manu Ginobili foundation, like the Bahia marathon or the basketball camps with kids. I am something like the guest star…

angel_luv
11-13-2009, 11:42 AM
What reality show????

PDXSpursFan
11-13-2009, 12:14 PM
I know what he most likely meant and that it was probably lost a bit in translation, but it's hard not to laugh and think that Pop had brainwashed his players into thinking his smallball 4's were really power-forwards. :lol

Thanks, jannieannie. :tu

"Necesitábamos un alero con su fuerza y habilidad para penetrar"

Correct Translation: " We needed a foward with the strength and ability to penetrate"

No Power Foward

phyzik
11-13-2009, 12:15 PM
what reality show????

+1

urunobili
11-13-2009, 12:18 PM
+1

I don't know anything about that but will check and post here soon... it sounds like it's gonna be an argentine show...

ElNono
11-13-2009, 01:22 PM
New reality show to include Ginobili and 24 young players

November 12, 2009 - Cancha Llena

It will include kids from Argentina and United States, ages between 15 and 18 years old; It can be seen on Fox.

All the young people born between 1991 and 1994 that know how to play basketball can sign up to participate in the audition where the participants of the new Manu Ginobili reality show will be selected.

The official launch of this new venture from the great San Antonio Spurs star and the kids will be next friday in the Panamericano Hotel in Buenos Aires. This is a program organized by 16:14 Entertainment that already did a first experience of this kind with Kobe Bryant, in China, a few months ago.

The reality show, that can be seen on Fox in March, is also set to include young players from the United States. There will be 4 from New York, 4 from Chicago and 4 from Los Angeles. In Argentina, the auditions are to be conducted in Buenos Aires on the 11th of next month, where 40 kids will be pre-selected and then only 6 will make it to the show and also in Cordoba, on the 16th, with the same selection system.

The 12 Argentina and United States nominees will participate in a campus hosted by club Maccabi San Miguel, where they will live between the 2nd and 7th of January 2010. It should be noted that they will not be locked up inside a house, but they will share activities all 24 hours. Then there will be a new elimination round and only 8 of each country will remain. Those 16 will travel immediately to San Antonio, where Manu will join them in many activities. On Jan 11 they'll meet Kobe Bryant, on the 12 they'll watch the San Antonio-Lakers game on the AT&T Center and on Jan 15 they will return to Mar Del Plata, Argentina. The 16 and 17 they will train in Punta Sur, the 18 on the Polideportivo and the 19 it will be a great ending with a game among the 16 participants. Manu will start recording ads and promos tomorrow in San Antonio. Because he's an ambassador to Unicef, he will also teach education and health related topics. He also has another great news prepared for the next few hours. A great surprise.

LINK in Spanish (http://www.canchallena.com/1198559-lanzaran-un-reality-show-con-ginobili-y-24-jovenes)

urunobili
11-13-2009, 01:41 PM
New reality show to include Ginobili and 24 young players

November 12, 2009 - Cancha Llena

It will include kids from Argentina and United States, ages between 15 and 18 years old; It can be seen on Fox.

All the young people born between 1991 and 1994 that know how to play basketball can sign up to participate in the audition where the participants of the new Manu Ginobili reality show will be selected.

The official launch of this new venture from the great San Antonio Spurs star and the kids will be next friday in the Panamericano Hotel in Buenos Aires. This is a program organized by 16:14 Entertainment that already did a first experience of this kind with Kobe Bryant, in China, a few months ago.

The reality show, that can be seen on Fox in March, is also set to include young players from the United States. There will be 4 from New York, 4 from Chicago and 4 from Los Angeles. In Argentina, the auditions are to be conducted in Buenos Aires on the 11th of next month, where 40 kids will be pre-selected and then only 6 will make it to the show and also in Cordoba, on the 16th, with the same selection system.

The 12 Argentina and United States nominees will participate in a campus hosted by club Maccabi San Miguel, where they will live between the 2nd and 7th of January 2010. It should be noted that they will not be locked up inside a house, but they will share activities all 24 hours. Then there will be a new elimination round and only 8 of each country will remain. Those 16 will travel immediately to San Antonio, where Manu will join them in many activities. On Jan 11 they'll meet Kobe Bryant, on the 12 they'll watch the San Antonio-Lakers game on the AT&T Center and on Jan 15 they will return to Mar Del Plata, Argentina. The 16 and 17 they will train in Punta Sur, the 18 on the Polideportivo and the 19 it will be a great ending with a game among the 16 participants. Manu will start recording ads and promos tomorrow in San Antonio. Because he's an ambassador to Unicef, he will also teach education and health related topics. He also has another great news prepared for the next few hours. A great surprise.

LINK in Spanish (http://www.canchallena.com/1198559-lanzaran-un-reality-show-con-ginobili-y-24-jovenes)

ElNono... I think this deserves it's own thread!!!!! :flag:

ElNono
11-13-2009, 01:42 PM
ElNono... I think this deserves it's own thread!!!!! :flag:

Yeah.. I'll do that... this is good stuff.