PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Bogans a master of the art of irritation

Spurs Brazil
11-13-2009, 07:20 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Bogans_a_master_of_the_art_of_irritation.htm l

By Jeff McDonald - Express-News It is a general truism that every NBA player possesses at least one NBA skill. It didn't take long for Keith Bogans to discover his.

He's built a career on his uncanny ability to be the most annoying guy in the room.

“I want to annoy guys,” said Bogans, the Spurs' latest starter at shooting guard. “I want guys to know when I'm guarding them, it's going to be a tough night. I don't want anybody to think it's going to be a walk in the park. See me, and put a smile on your face? No, that's not me.”

An afterthought for much of the preseason, Bogans has emerged as perhaps the biggest early-season surprise for the Spurs. His defensive prowess earned him a spot in the starting lineup three games ago, and he has done little to relinquish it.

In the Spurs' shorthanded 92-83 victory over Dallas on Wednesday, the 6-foot-5 Bogans was instrumental in helping to hold the Mavericks' four best perimeter scorers — Jason Terry, Josh Howard, Jason Kidd and J.J. Barea — to a combined 12 of 39 shooting. The 13 points Bogans scored himself were mere icing.

“That's what Keith Bogans does,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “He knows his role. He takes pride in it.”

It was a breakout game for a player who was still looking for a job just two months ago.

After finishing last season in Milwaukee, Bogans, 29, entered free agency against the backdrop of an uncertain economy. With revenue down, teams were holding their purse strings tight. More than half planned to keep less than a full roster to defray costs.

It left players like Bogans — an established, six-year NBA veteran — scrambling to find work. It was Sept. 21, barely a week before the start of training camp, before Bogans signed with the Spurs.

“We stayed persistent, and they stayed persistent,” said Bogans, who will make the veteran's minimum of $1.03 million this season. “It only takes one team to like you. I like the team that liked me.”

The Spurs first emerged on Bogans' radar on June 23, when they struck a deal with his old team, the Bucks, for Richard Jefferson. Included in the Spurs' package for Jefferson was Bruce Bowen, an annual fixture on the NBA's all-defensive team.

Bowen's departure left a void Bogans longed to fill.

“Once I saw Bruce leave, I thought it was a perfect opportunity for me,” said Bogans, who has also played for Orlando, Charlotte and Houston. “I do basically the same thing he did. I'm not as good of a defender yet, but I'm trying.”

Rescued from the NBA's unemployment line, Bogans was somewhat of a forgotten man in camp. He logged a total of 25 minutes in the first five games of the regular season, sitting out a loss at Chicago entirely.

On Nov. 6 in Portland, Bogans' role changed. Hoping to beef up the Spurs' defense, Popovich inserted him into the starting lineup. He's been in it ever since.

Spurs forward Antonio McDyess, a former Detroit Piston, was familiar with Bogans' work in the Eastern Conference. When he began to see Bogans on an everyday basis, McDyess began to appreciate Bogans' art of irritation.

“That dude is a monster,” McDyess said. “I knew he was a good defensive player, but I didn't know he was that good.”

McDyess likens Bogans to former Detroit teammate Lindsey Hunter, another player who built his reputation as a tenacious defender. Well-versed in Hunter's body of work, Bogans considers the comparison the ultimate compliment.

“Lindsey was a bulldog, one of those guys who would get into guys and annoy them,” Bogans said. “That's my job, too. I take pride in playing defense. When a guy scores on me, I get mad.”

More often than not, the guy Bogans is guarding is the one feeling frustrated these days. That is life as the most annoying man in the room.

Brazil
11-13-2009, 07:25 AM
^nice article. Bogans is really a pleasant surprise for me.

Ice009
11-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Good article.

I want more defense, which means I want to see more Bogans on the court. I also love Hill's comment the other day and Bogans and himself trying to bring a defensive intensity to the team.

slick'81
11-13-2009, 08:05 AM
hes not as long or as quick as BB but the fact hes willing to try and live up to the legend of bowen is a good enough start for me

TIMMYD!
11-13-2009, 08:09 AM
hes not as long or as quick as bb but the fact hes willing to try and live up to the legend of bowen is a good enough start for me

+1

spurspokesman
11-13-2009, 08:12 AM
He plays good defense. That's more than you can say for half A team who prides itself on defense. Hope he keeps it up.

Danny.Zhu
11-13-2009, 08:23 AM
“Once I saw Bruce leave, I thought it was a perfect opportunity for me,” said Bogans, who has also played for Orlando, Charlotte and Houston. “I do basically the same thing he did. I'm not as good of a defender yet, but I'm trying.”

I like that quote.

Spursmania
11-13-2009, 08:32 AM
“I want to annoy guys,” said Bogans, the Spurs' latest starter at shooting guard. “I want guys to know when I'm guarding them, it's going to be a tough night. I don't want anybody to think it's going to be a walk in the park. See me, and put a smile on your face? No, that's not me.”

“Lindsey (Hunter) was a bulldog, one of those guys who would get into guys and annoy them,” Bogans said. “That's my job, too. I take pride in playing defense. When a guy scores on me, I get mad.”

:tu

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Anyone saw his nice block on marion??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Tk5MKJbXg
u1Tk5MKJbXg
skip to 2:30

will_spurs
11-13-2009, 08:45 AM

Nice block, and he found exactly the right words to please Spurs fan.

Another part I liked in this video, around 02:00-02:15, Jefferson makes a thunderous dunk and doesn't even celebrate because he is already rushing back to defend - that's the spirit!

SpurNation
11-13-2009, 08:52 AM
I could watch that game over and over again.

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-13-2009, 08:57 AM
It was a fun game to watch..great hustle + improved defense by our guys

qiuyizeng
11-13-2009, 09:05 AM
haha,Parker should know lindsey hunter!

MaNu4Tres
11-13-2009, 09:20 AM
hes not as long or as quick as BB but the fact hes willing to try and live up to the legend of bowen is a good enough start for me

Bogans actually has very quick feet. Pretty damn close to Bruce's foot speed.

That is a key factor in a great defender.

He was giving Kidd, Terry, Howard, Barea all problems. Him being able to crowd them and keep them infront of him at the same time and then contest effectively speaks volumes about his defense.

He's been a pleasant surprise. Kind of reminds me of a more athletic Mario Elie.

Danny.Zhu
11-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Bogans actually has very quick feet. Pretty damn close to Bruce's foot speed.

That is a key factor in a great defender.

He was giving Kidd, Terry, Howard, Barea all problems. Him being able to crowd them and keep them infront of him at the same time and then contest effectively speaks volumes about his defense.

He's been a pleasant surprise. Kind of reminds me of a more athletic Mario Elie.

I would like to hold my judgement until he defenses Kobe.

MaNu4Tres
11-13-2009, 09:32 AM

:lol

Of course let's wait to see how he guards the best perimeter player of the past decade. I guess if he can't hold Kobe to 5 for 30 shooting then he is terrible.

SenorSpur
11-13-2009, 10:07 AM

“Lindsey was a bulldog, one of those guys who would get into guys and annoy them,” Bogans said. “That's my job, too. I take pride in playing defense. When a guy scores on me, I get mad."

You gotta love these comments

An afterthought for much of the preseason, Bogans has emerged as perhaps the biggest early-season surprise for the Spurs. His defensive prowess earned him a spot in the starting lineup three games ago, and he has done little to relinquish it.

The Spurs first emerged on Bogans' radar on June 23, when they struck a deal with his old team, the Bucks, for Richard Jefferson. Included in the Spurs' package for Jefferson was Bruce Bowen, an annual fixture on the NBA's all-defensive team. Bowen's departure left a void Bogans longed to fill.

For the past few years, many of us, have been clamoring for the Spurs to identify an heir apparent to Bowen. Then suddenly, in the offseason that Bowen leaves, one falls into the Spurs lap. This is not to say Bogans is in the elite status of Bowen, as a defensive stopper, but it's clear that by him having the right mindset, attitude and a similar reputation as a pesky defender, he's halfway there.

“Once I saw Bruce leave, I thought it was a perfect opportunity for me,” said Bogans, who has also played for Orlando, Charlotte and Houston. “I do basically the same thing he did. I'm not as good of a defender yet, but I'm trying."
At some point, perhaps Bruce will share some tips and instruction with Bogans. Of course, when he's not doing his thing as the newest, big-time TV analyst. :lol

urunobili
11-13-2009, 10:14 AM
I love how humble his is... when he says he is trying to be a good as Bruce... I don't think he realizes how much that means for us Spurs fans...

DBMethos
11-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Meh...needs more dropkicks before we start the Bruce comparisons. :p:

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-13-2009, 10:20 AM
:rollin

mexpurs21
11-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Bruce Bowen>>>Keith Bogans>>>>>>>>>>>>Ime Udoka

Mark in Austin
11-13-2009, 11:03 AM
I need to qualify this observation with the fact that I've only seen a couple games so far this year, so maybe there are some defensive schemes that have been changed, but:

Is anybody really surprised that a defense that was built around Bowen on the perimeter and Duncan in the post becomes more effective when a player with some of Bowen's defensive characteristics and attitude (specifically being a constant pest; never letting the player he is guarding get into a groove) like Bogans is inserted in the lineup?

Leetonidas
11-13-2009, 11:08 AM
It sucks that Bogans couldn't be 2 inches taller like Bruce, because he is going to get destroyed by LeBron or any of the bigger, stronger SFs. But, on most SGs, smaller SFs, and combo guards, the man can defend like a beast.

SpurNation
11-13-2009, 11:17 AM
It sucks that Bogans couldn't be 2 inches taller like Bruce, because he is going to get destroyed by LeBron or any of the bigger, stronger SFs. But, on most SGs, smaller SFs, and combo guards, the man can defend like a beast.

Insert Richard Jefferson into that equation?

z0sa
11-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Very pleasantly surprised with Bogans. If he keeps this up ..

SenorSpur
11-13-2009, 11:45 AM

No need to hold any judgements there. Bogans hasn't had any more success guarding Kobe than any other player in the NBA. Bruce may have had some moments, but let's face it, Kobe is simply another beast alltogether. Nobody can guard him.

peacemaker885
11-13-2009, 11:46 AM
no need to hold any judgements there. Bogans hasn't had any more success guarding kobe than any other player in the nba. Bruce may have had some moments, but let's face it, kobe is simply another beast alltogether. Nobody can guard him.

+1000

lefty
11-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Boogy man !!!!!!

dbestpro
11-13-2009, 12:02 PM
B-b-b-b-ut, we need to cut him so Hairston can play............

elbamba
11-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Bogans is a much better defender than Finley. His insertion into the starting lineup has transformed the Spurs. If he can continue to hit the open threes then we got a steal just like we did with Bruce.

SenorSpur
11-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Bogans is a much better defender than Finley. His insertion into the starting lineup has transformed the Spurs. If he can continue to hit the open threes then we got a steal just like we did with Bruce.

:tu

wildbill2u
11-13-2009, 12:24 PM
:king
u1Tk5MKJbXg
You da king of uploads :king

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-13-2009, 12:28 PM
:king
You da king of uploads :king

:toast

tp2021
11-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Boogy man !!!!!!

I kinda like that. He's a nightmare for opposing scorers.

benefactor
11-13-2009, 01:31 PM
I need to qualify this observation with the fact that I've only seen a couple games so far this year, so maybe there are some defensive schemes that have been changed, but:

Is anybody really surprised that a defense that was built around Bowen on the perimeter and Duncan in the post becomes more effective when a player with some of Bowen's defensive characteristics and attitude (specifically being a constant pest; never letting the player he is guarding get into a groove) like Bogans is inserted in the lineup?
It's not surprising at all. Spurs defense over the years has been predicated on three things...Bowen slowing the opposing teams perimeter threat, Duncan slowing the opposing teams post threat and good overall team defense from the rest of the starting five. This is why many of us have been clamoring for Hairston to get some burn, because the championship formula cannot be complete without a wing that can, at the very least, make the perimeter scorer across from him work.

It's good to hear Bogans say the things he is saying. He has always been an above average perimeter defender...but now that he is in an environment where it will be stressed and expected from him in Bowenesque fashion every minute he is on the floor he should become even better.

JWest596
11-13-2009, 03:03 PM
No need to hold any judgements there. Bogans hasn't had any more success guarding Kobe than any other player in the NBA. Bruce may have had some moments, but let's face it, Kobe is simply another beast alltogether. Nobody can guard him.

That's true but Bowen 'challenged' Kobe hard and made him work like hell for his shots in the day. Kobe even has admitted this. If Bogans make Kobe (or anybody) work and increases his shot attempts abnormally, then he's doing his job. The percentages take care of themselves.

PDXSpursFan
11-13-2009, 03:36 PM
LOL at those complaining when Marcus Williams was waived instead of Bogans.

Chomag
11-13-2009, 03:46 PM

I agree that all in all no one can completely stop Kobe. He is a very skilled scorer so he his going to score on whatever defense you throw out at him. However some defenders can make him work for his points more then others.

ace3g
11-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Bogans seems much taller then the 6'5 he is listed at, Jefferson is aroun 6'7-6'8

unless the photo is at a bad perspective

http://media.mysanantonio.com/images/BKN_spurs_bogans_1113.ART_GHH6UGTP.1_1109_SPURS_MA VS_KMH_11.15153316.jpg

DesignatedT
11-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Aslong as Bogans remains a threat on offense then this guy should start all year. Im not talking about him scoring 20 every night but able to hit that open 3 and drive when needed.

ElNono
11-13-2009, 04:39 PM
It's a booger thread, yay!

SenorSpur
11-13-2009, 05:02 PM
I agree that all in all no one can completely stop Kobe. He is a very skilled scorer so he his going to score on whatever defense you throw out at him. However some defenders can make him work for his points more then others.

Amen. Bowen did that. With time and work, perhaps Bogans can do the same.

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-13-2009, 05:25 PM

Tru Dat!!!

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-13-2009, 05:32 PM
We have two guys that are all-defensive-team caliber defenders on the perimeter (Hill and Bogans). Great to see! Duncan may no longer be one of the top 3 or 4 defenders in the game, as he once was, but if he's fresh come playoff time, he's still a very, very good interior defender.

With the Lakers size, Tim will be the key to getting out of the West. He's going to have to be 100%, and he's going to have to be sharp on both ends of the floor.

On the perimeter, if Ginobili is healthy and sharp, and I think the Spurs have the edge overall in the backcourt over LA.

weebo
11-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Too bad he's too small to guard guys the likes of Kobe and Lebron.

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Bogans seems much taller then the 6'5 he is listed at, Jefferson is aroun 6'7-6'8

unless the photo is at a bad perspective

http://media.mysanantonio.com/images/BKN_spurs_bogans_1113.ART_GHH6UGTP.1_1109_SPURS_MA VS_KMH_11.15153316.jpg

That may be. But I saw him next to Dirk the other night, and dude just dwarfed Bogans. I'm sure Bogans has the ability to defend most any small forward and any guard in the league.

Anyway, whatever the gap is between what Bogans brings defensively, and what Bowen used to give us... he may just make up for it on the other end of the floor. Bogans seems to have more offensive skill than Bowen.

If Bogans can knock down the open 3 with consistency, not just in the corners as with Bruce, and can make his free throws... I think he could wind up being as valuable as Bruce was a few years ago.

Leetonidas
11-13-2009, 05:39 PM

Kobe is 6'6" and Bogans is 6'5".

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-13-2009, 05:40 PM

I agree that he's probably too small to guard Lebron (6'8, 250lbs)... but he CAN guard Kobe (6'6, 205).

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Bogans has shot about 35% from long range for his career, but if he's filling the Bruce Bowen role, he'll got a LOT of wide open spot up 3's... so it wouldn't be surprising to see him shoot 40% for the season here.

weebo
11-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Kobe is 6'6" and Bogans is 6'5".

Kobe might be 6'6" but he plays bigger than that. Hell, BB had trouble with him. Don't kid yourself. In order to contain Kobe or Lebron ( he can't gaurd Lebron) the Spurs are going to need someone other than Bogans.

Mel_13
11-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Kobe might be 6'6" but he plays bigger than that. Hell, BB had trouble with him. Don't kid yourself. In order to contain Kobe or Lebron ( he can't gaurd Lebron) the Spurs are going to need someone other than Bogans.

Name the players in the NBA that can contain Kobe and/or LeBron.

Now which among those are available in a trade?

Right now Bogans looks like the best player on the roster to guard Kobe and RJ looks like the best player on the roster to guard Lebron. It's not a matter of kidding oneself, very few players in the NBA can contain either of players.

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-13-2009, 05:59 PM

OF COURSE Bowen had trouble with Kobe. He's probably one of the 5 most gifted offensive players in the history of the NBA. There is no containing him. All you can do is make him work a little harder, make him expend more energy, and force him take a few more shots to get his points. That's what Bruce did to Kobe with regularity. I'm anxious to see how how Bogans does.

We're going to need more than Bogans?

Who do you suggest? Who are the Spurs going to bring into the fold that is going to do a better job on Kobe than Bogans?

xtremesteven33
11-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Bogans would be irrelevant in guarding Kobe. Kobe doesnt play perimiter anymore, he likes to stay down low now and I would assume that he could get his shot off of a shorter defender pretty easy, such like a Bogans.

This is when I really miss Bowen. Bowen knew Kobe like no other defender. It sucks to think that Kobe is less mobile now than past years when Bruce would chase him like a fly around the court.

If Bowen were still playing I think he could still give Kobe problems given his length,familiarity, and less energy chasing him around like before.

weebo
11-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Well, if you all are banking on Bogans to be the second coming of BB, then we're fucked. RJ on Lebron!? LOL Give me a break...Lebron has torched RJ with severe regularity. I can't suggest anyone now. What's the point? The roster isn't changing anytime soon.

benefactor
11-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Well, if you all are banking on Bogans to be the second coming of BB, then we're fucked. RJ on Lebron!? LOL Give me a break...Lebron has torched RJ with severe regularity. I can't suggest anyone now. What's the point? The roster isn't changing anytime soon.
Go ahead and jump off the cliff then. As a matter of fact, just stand near the edge and I will push you.

MaNu4Tres
11-13-2009, 06:13 PM

So I guess the game has changed to a one on one tournament opposed to 5 on 5?

weebo
11-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Bogans would be irrelevant in guarding Kobe. Kobe doesnt play perimiter anymore, he likes to stay down low now and I would assume that he could get his shot off of a shorter defender pretty easy, such like a Bogans.

This is when I really miss Bowen. Bowen knew Kobe like no other defender. It sucks to think that Kobe is less mobile now than past years when Bruce would chase him like a fly around the court.

If Bowen were still playing I think he could still give Kobe problems given his length,familiarity, and less energy chasing him around like before.

+1

I'm one of those that think that BB was given a raw deal last year and let go too soon. Sure, he may have lost a step, but was still savvy enough to compete against guys like Kobe. Anyway, I guess the FO knows than I do by burying scrubs like Marcus Haislip and Malik Hairston for the rest of the season.

weebo
11-13-2009, 06:17 PM
So I guess the game has changed to a one on one tournament opposed to 5 on 5?

Once the perimeter defense breaks down the interior is sure to follow.

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-13-2009, 06:17 PM

Bruce Bowen should have won the Defensive Player of the Year award a couple of different times. I think he was penalized for his "dirty player" reputation.

Anyway, it would be nice to have the league's premier defender in the fold, as we did when Bruce was here... but Bogans is good enough to earn his way on an all-defensive team. Having one of the better perimeter defenders in the game, who will be permitted to expend 90% of his energy on the DEFENSIVE end of the floor... will have to be good enough.

And as I said before... whatever the defensive gap is between Bowen and Bogans, he might make up for on the other end of the floor. He appears to have more offensive skill than Bruce ever did.

weebo
11-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Bruce Bowen should have won the Defensive Player of the Year award a couple of different times. I think he was penalized for his "dirty player" reputation.

Anyway, it would be nice to have the league's premier defender in the fold, as we did when Bruce was here... but Bogans is good enough to earn his way on an all-defensive team. Having one of the better perimeter defenders in the game, who will be permitted to expend 90% of his energy on the DEFENSIVE end of the floor... will have to be good enough.

And as I said before... whatever the defensive gap is between Bowen and Bogans, he might make up for on the other end of the floor. He appears to have more offensive skill than Bruce ever did.

Sure. However, offense is the least of the Spurs worries. This team has enough scores on the team.

xtremesteven33
11-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Spurs fans are gonna notice the absence of Bruce more and more each game when players like Melo,Terry, and Nash go off for 20 plus points each time we play them this year.

Those players Bowen has been notorious for shutting down by himself.

Damn im gonna miss Bowen :depressed

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Spurs fans are gonna notice the absence of Bruce more and more each game when players like Melo,Terry, and Nash go off for 20 plus points each time we play them this year.

Those players Bowen has been notorious for shutting down by himself.

Damn im gonna miss Bowen :depressed

Bruce was the best perimeter defender in the game until the last year or two when age really set in. That said... absence makes the heart grow fonder, and some here might be elevating the legend of Bruce just a bit.

He didn't completely shut down very good offensive players every time out. He made life difficult for them. Bogans does the same thing. By Bogan's own admission, he's not quite at Bruce's level yet, but let's give him a chance.

If he gives us 80+ percent of what Bruce used to give us, it will make us far better team.

HarlemHeat37
11-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Bogans actually has a decent history of defending Kobe..also, you don't defend players 1 on 1, basketball doesn't work like that, especially not..your team has to defend them..

Lebron wasn't shut down primarily by Bowen, it was clearly a team effort..any talented NBA player can get by a defender when he can't handcheck..it all depends on how you play the angles and how your help responds..

Kobe's posting up a lot right now, but he also doesn't have Gasol in the lineup..it's gonna be a lot more difficult to post up when you have both Gasol and Bynum on the floor together..it's not like the Lakers are just going to sit Gasol down so Kobe can post up more, obviously Gasol helps their team tremendously..

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Bogans actually has a decent history of defending Kobe..also, you don't defend players 1 on 1, basketball doesn't work like that, especially not..your team has to defend them..

Lebron wasn't shut down primarily by Bowen, it was clearly a team effort..any talented NBA player can get by a defender when he can't handcheck..it all depends on how you play the angles and how your help responds..

Kobe's posting up a lot right now, but he also doesn't have Gasol in the lineup..it's gonna be a lot more difficult to post up when you have both Gasol and Bynum on the floor together..it's not like the Lakers are just going to sit Gasol down so Kobe can post up more, obviously Gasol helps their team tremendously..

Yeah, when the Lakers have Gasol and Bynum out there, it is going to clog the paint a little more. That's why the Spurs like Matt Bonner. He spreads the floor and gives Tim more space in the post, and clears the paint a bit for Tony, Many, and Richard to penetrate.

duhoh
11-13-2009, 07:51 PM

hahaha
:lol:lol:lol:lol

ezau
11-13-2009, 09:03 PM

Tayshaun Prince? See 2004 NBA Finals

Interrohater
11-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Once the perimeter defense breaks down the interior is sure to follow.

I don't agree with that at all. You can call it "breaking down", but the Spurs defensive system is built around the fact that the offensive player will get around the defender. Of course, our perimeter guys will do their best to make it harder, or squeeze them out just a few more inches, but inevitably, their goal is to funnel the offensive player towards the help defense.

And seriously guy, picking up a player exclusively to guard Lebron James is pretty ridiculous. Lebron James himself is a freak of nature. To stop him, you'd need someone who is even more of a freak of nature. Not happening.

And the Kobe thing? Again, it's all about team defense. Make it hard on Kobe to score, and try and shut down the rest of the team. Bogans can keep up with him, but won't shut him down. That's not his job and it's not in the realm of possibility.

MaNu4Tres
11-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Tayshaun Prince? See 2004 NBA Finals

That Detroit team was the best defensive team that year. It wasn't because of Prince himself. The Wallace's helped a little.

FilSpursFan
11-14-2009, 12:06 AM
The second coming of BB... Rayray watch out!

spurster
11-14-2009, 12:14 AM
It's not official until GhostWriter says he sucks.

Blackjack
11-14-2009, 12:33 AM
That Detroit team was the best defensive team that year. It wasn't because of Prince himself. The Wallace's helped a little.

IIRC, the Spurs were actually the best defensive team that year by the numbers; not that it meant all that much with a worn down Duncan by the time the playoffs rolled around.

Besides, Kobe deserves plenty of the credit for what transpired during that Finals. By the time they met Detroit, the Lakers were a shell of the team they were earlier in the playoffs. The Malone injury combined with the dysfunction that was Kobe Bryant, was just as much a factor as anything the Pistons did..

SouthTexasRancher
11-14-2009, 01:38 AM
Bogans has been a nice addition. We're starting to look like a team with depth...

Cant_Be_Faded
11-14-2009, 03:27 AM
Wow. It's almost as if most posters in the Spurs Forum had no idea Keith Bogans was known for his defense. Wow.

Ehhh.

TJastal
11-14-2009, 04:31 AM
Wow. It's almost as if most posters in the Spurs Forum had no idea Keith Bogans was known for his defense. Wow.

Ehhh.

It's befuddling. How did all these posters not know about Keith Bogans defense? It's an epic question that demands answering.

Keith Bogans is a name that's been bandied about regularily throughout a career that stretched between the magic 3x, hornets 2x, rockets, bucks, and finally spurs. His defense has inspired books, magazine articles, and interviews with former legends of the game. How all these teams that Bogan's played for previously and posters at spurs forum were unaware of Bogan's amazing defensive prowess is a statistical anomaly that will probably never happen again.

It's obviously one of the biggest coups in nba history that the spurs were able to land Bogans for the vet minimum this year, given the overwhelming exposure Bogan's has attained.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-14-2009, 05:37 AM
Bogans + Dice (-starting Bonley) + Spurs' defensive system = win

MaNu4Tres
11-14-2009, 06:17 AM
IIRC, the Spurs were actually the best defensive team that year by the numbers; not that it meant all that much with a worn down Duncan by the time the playoffs rolled around.

Besides, Kobe deserves plenty of the credit for what transpired during that Finals. By the time they met Detroit, the Lakers were a shell of the team they were earlier in the playoffs. The Malone injury combined with the dysfunction that was Kobe Bryant, was just as much a factor as anything the Pistons did..

By a hair if that...

Way to nitpick at a post.

Pistons held teams to 41 percent shooting actually .413 if you don't round up during the regular season that year and held teams to 84.4 points per game. Spurs held teams to 41 percent shooting, actually .409 percent if you don't round up and 84.3 points per game.

Big freaking Whooop. My point was Tayshawn wasn't the sole reason Kobe was contained.

In the playoffs Detroit was the best team defensively.

Now go argue in the NBA forum that Tony Parker is better than Chris Paul because he averaged .01 points more than him.

poop
11-14-2009, 10:48 AM
It's befuddling. How did all these posters not know about Keith Bogans defense? It's an epic question that demands answering.

Keith Bogans is a name that's been bandied about regularily throughout a career that stretched between the magic 3x, hornets 2x, rockets, bucks, and finally spurs. His defense has inspired books, magazine articles, and interviews with former legends of the game. How all these teams that Bogan's played for previously and posters at spurs forum were unaware of Bogan's amazing defensive prowess is a statistical anomaly that will probably never happen again.

It's obviously one of the biggest coups in nba history that the spurs were able to land Bogans for the vet minimum this year, given the overwhelming exposure Bogan's has attained.

hahaha. good job

SequSpur
11-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Bogans > Bowen.... sorry....

Bogans can play both sides and he can block shots... Bowen could never do that...

Tbiggums47
11-14-2009, 11:50 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Bogans_a_master_of_the_art_of_irritation.htm l

By Jeff McDonald - Express-News It is a general truism that every NBA player possesses at least one NBA skill. It didn't take long for Keith Bogans to discover his.

He's built a career on his uncanny ability to be the most annoying guy in the room.

In the Spurs' shorthanded 92-83 victory over Dallas on Wednesday, the 6-foot-5 Bogans was instrumental in helping to hold the Mavericks' four best perimeter scorers — Jason Terry, Josh Howard, Jason Kidd and J.J. Barea — to a combined 12 of 39 shooting. The 13 points Bogans scored himself were mere icing.

“That's what Keith Bogans does,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “He knows his role. He takes pride in it.”

It was a breakout game for a player who was still looking for a job just two months ago.

After finishing last season in Milwaukee, Bogans, 29, entered free agency against the backdrop of an uncertain economy. With revenue down, teams were holding their purse strings tight. More than half planned to keep less than a full roster to defray costs.

It left players like Bogans — an established, six-year NBA veteran — scrambling to find work. It was Sept. 21, barely a week before the start of training camp, before Bogans signed with the Spurs.

“We stayed persistent, and they stayed persistent,” said Bogans, who will make the veteran's minimum of $1.03 million this season. “It only takes one team to like you. I like the team that liked me.”

The Spurs first emerged on Bogans' radar on June 23, when they struck a deal with his old team, the Bucks, for Richard Jefferson. Included in the Spurs' package for Jefferson was Bruce Bowen, an annual fixture on the NBA's all-defensive team.

Rescued from the NBA's unemployment line, Bogans was somewhat of a forgotten man in camp. He logged a total of 25 minutes in the first five games of the regular season, sitting out a loss at Chicago entirely.

On Nov. 6 in Portland, Bogans' role changed. Hoping to beef up the Spurs' defense, Popovich inserted him into the starting lineup. He's been in it ever since.

Spurs forward Antonio McDyess, a former Detroit Piston, was familiar with Bogans' work in the Eastern Conference. When he began to see Bogans on an everyday basis, McDyess began to appreciate Bogans' art of irritation.

“That dude is a monster,” McDyess said. “I knew he was a good defensive player, but I didn't know he was that good.”

McDyess likens Bogans to former Detroit teammate Lindsey Hunter, another player who built his reputation as a tenacious defender. Well-versed in Hunter's body of work, Bogans considers the comparison the ultimate compliment.

“Lindsey was a bulldog, one of those guys who would get into guys and annoy them,” Bogans said. “That's my job, too. I take pride in playing defense. When a guy scores on me, I get mad.”

More often than not, the guy Bogans is guarding is the one feeling frustrated these days. That is life as the most annoying man in the room.
I'm not surprised...I just was not sure if he still had the fire! He still has it!:lobt2:

benefactor
11-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Last one....

Mel_13
11-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Last one....

Doing the dirty work.

Bogans and benefactor

Blackjack
11-14-2009, 01:54 PM
By a hair if that...

Way to nitpick at a post.

Pistons held teams to 41 percent shooting actually .413 if you don't round up during the regular season that year and held teams to 84.4 points per game. Spurs held teams to 41 percent shooting, actually .409 percent if you don't round up and 84.3 points per game.

Big freaking Whooop. My point was Tayshawn wasn't the sole reason Kobe was contained.

In the playoffs Detroit was the best team defensively.

Now go argue in the NBA forum that Tony Parker is better than Chris Paul because he averaged .01 points more than him.

:wow

Is it possible for me to make a comment on anything you have to say without you getting defensive?

There was no intention to punk you or make you look like an idiot. I read your post and thought I remembered the Spurs being the best defensive team that year; there was nothing more to it. I even made sure to say that it didn't even really matter in the end.

The Spurs' defensive anchor was worn down and not up to par and the Pistons, with the mid-season addition of 'Sheed, probably were the best overall defensive team outside the numbers.

I just happen to believe they, like the Heat in '06, due to key injuries, avoided the two best teams in the Western Conference; they at least got the one team of the top 3 they could beat..

MaNu4Tres
11-14-2009, 02:04 PM
It doesn't matter.

Nobody can stop Kobe.
Not Bowen, Not Tayshaun, Not Bogans.

It's team defense and making Kobe work for his points.

Having a great perimeter defender only helps so much. You have to have four other disciplined players who are aware of their assignments and aware of each situation being played out each possesion.

SenorSpur
11-14-2009, 02:11 PM
I, for one, personally thought that, based upon Bowen's fine showing in the Dallas series, he could have easily played another year. Bowen was easily the best wing player the Spurs had on the floor, at both ends, in most of those playoff games. I'm sure he felt that way too.

That said, I would've felt more comfortable having Bowen backing in Bogans, as opposed to Finley. There certainly wouldn't be the excessive defensive dropoff that we see now when Finley enters the game. The 3-pt shooting is about even.

MaNu4Tres
11-14-2009, 02:21 PM
I, for one, personally thought that, based upon Bowen's fine showing in the Dallas series, he could have easily played another year. Bowen was easily the best wing player the Spurs had on the floor, at both ends, in most of those playoff games. I'm sure he felt that way too.

That said, I would've felt more comfortable having Bowen backing in Bogans, as opposed to Finley. There certainly wouldn't be the excessive defensive dropoff that we see now when Finley enters the game. The 3-pt shooting is about even.

If Bowen was going to come back it would have been for a major role on the team like before. He was not going to go through what he went through last year( He hated it) .

Spurs FO were interested in bringing him back but for a limited role because of the addition of RJ.

Bowen did not want to come back if that was the case and fade away into retirement the way Horry did. Bowen wanted more. That being said Bowen decided retirement was the best thing for him and his family.

Blackjack
11-14-2009, 02:44 PM
It doesn't matter.

Nobody can stop Kobe.
Not Bowen, Not Tayshaun, Not Bogans.

It's team defense and making Kobe work for his points.

Having a great perimeter defender only helps so much. You have to have four other disciplined players who are aware of their assignments and aware of each situation being played out each possesion.

I agree; my response to your post wasn't even really on the topic of a 'stopper', but more a random comment on the perception of the way the Detroit-Lakers series played out.

I agree with you about him still having the ability to contribute considerably. He may have lost a step, but he was still, when given minutes, one of the best defensive-wings in the league; I also tend to agree with MaNu4Tres.

The nature of a stopper is one of needing minutes. Coming in cold, especially at an advanced age, and when the player's already gained a rhythm, just isn't all that conducive to a stopper; there's exceptions to the rule for a stretch here or there, but it's not something that bears fruit long-term.

I'm sure Bruce knew he could still help the team out. But I also know he's a proud man that wanted to go out on his terms while he still felt he had something left; I'm not sure if he could take the DNP-CD's or mop-up minutes given the competitor he is.

If Bowen was going to come back it would have been for a major role on the team like before. He was not going to go through what he went through last year( He hated it) .

Spurs FO were interested in bringing him back but for a limited role because of the addition of RJ.

Bowen did not want to come back if that was the case and fade away into retirement the way Horry did. Bowen wanted more. That being said Bowen decided retirement was the best thing for him and his family.

That's the impression I've gathered, but is this something you've heard or been told?

MaNu4Tres
11-14-2009, 02:55 PM
but is this something you've been told?

Si.

Mel_13
11-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Si.

I remember listening to a radio interview Bruce gave with one of the ESPN national guys during the conference finals. After they got his take on the ongoing series, they asked him about his future.

The interviewer asked how much longer he planned to play basketball.

Bruce answered, "As long as they'll have me".

I didn't take that to mean "as long as they'll cut checks". It fits with everything we know about Bruce that he turned down a limited role with the Spurs and, perhaps, with the Celts and Cavs.

Blackjack
11-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Si.

Grassy-ass. :hat

SenorSpur
11-14-2009, 03:35 PM
I remember listening to a radio interview Bruce gave with one of the ESPN national guys during the conference finals. After they got his take on the ongoing series, they asked him about his future.

The interviewer asked how much longer he planned to play basketball.

Bruce answered, "As long as they'll have me".

I didn't take that to mean "as long as they'll cut checks". It fits with everything we know about Bruce that he turned down a limited role with the Spurs and, perhaps, with the Celts and Cavs.

Outside of his defensive brilliance and 3-pt shooting, the other things I miss about Bruce is his professionalism and humor that sort of permeated the entire team.

That said, I'm thrilled that Bogans is on board to help pick up the slack.

I can't believe there were some that wanted to see this guy waived after preseason.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-14-2009, 03:35 PM
thispego is right
most of ya'll dont know shit bout bball

"Bogans can play D! Omg omg omg omg"

Blackjack
11-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Outside of his defensive brilliance and 3-pt shooting, the other things I miss about Bruce is his professionalism and humor that sort of permeated the team.

Not to get too cornball, though, I'm about to, but there's something to be said for those role-playing, glue-guys that make up the championship-soul of a team. It's hard to find those Horry's and Bowen's of the world and even harder to replace them.

A talent upgrade is great and all but being able to look into someones eyes in a tough situation and know they're not going to back down is something you can't overlook. Having guy's who understand the process of a long season and know how to roll with the punches and keep a good locker room are the type of guy's you miss.

Losing Horry, Beno, (I keed) Barry, and now Bowen is a hard thing to do when you're trying to maintain a championship-program. I actually think that's part of the reason Pop has such a high regard for Fin and feels the need to make sure he maintains a good role on the team; he doesn't want to lose him and the character/professionalism that he brings to the court and the locker room. He values his leadership and doesn't want to risk having him fade into the background as a non-contributor.

Flux451
11-14-2009, 03:55 PM

Yeah, but stop living in past. Bogans has the strength to play in the post. We will see if he can stay out of foul trouble though. We already know Kobe will get his. Bogans is deceptively athletic also..a la the block last game. Who did he block by the way? I forgot

Mel_13
11-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Yeah, but stop living in past. Bogans has the strength to play in the post. We will see if he can stay out of foul trouble though. We already know Kobe will get his. Bogans is deceptively athletic also..a la the block last game. Who did he block by the way? I forgot

Marion. See the video in post #9 in this thread.

Flux451
11-14-2009, 04:08 PM
u1Tk5MKJbXg

Awesome highlights...screw nba.com

Flux451
11-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Marion. See the video in post #9 in this thread.

sweet. tanks, mister

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-14-2009, 04:58 PM

SenorSpur
11-14-2009, 04:59 PM

...and we thought that TD and Ratliff were the Spurs only rim-protectors. :lol

Mr.Robinson
11-14-2009, 07:15 PM

LOL Good Stuff.