PDA

View Full Version : A No Hitter and a Perfect Game

vincerodriguez23
04-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Whats the difference between a No Hitter and a Perfect Game?

jalbre6
04-19-2005, 08:28 PM
In a perfect game, nobody gets on base, whether by error, walk, or passed ball or anything else.

A no-hitter just means that the pitcher doesn't allow a base hit. I remember a Red Sox pitcher in the early 90's lost the game despite not giving up any hits.

vincerodriguez23
04-19-2005, 08:34 PM
In a perfect game, nobody gets on base, whether by error, walk, or passed ball or anything else.

A no-hitter just means that the pitcher doesn't allow a base hit. I remember a Red Sox pitcher in the early 90's lost the game despite not giving up any hits.

Thanks

FromWayDowntown
04-19-2005, 11:01 PM

That was Matt Young, April 12, 1992 in a game against Cleveland. Young gave up no hits, but he walked Kenny Lofton in the first, allowed him to steal second and third, and then allowed Lofton to score on an error by the shortstop. In the third, he walked the first two batters, allowed the first to reach third on a fielder's choice, and then allowed him to score on another fielder's choice. The Red Sox rolled up 9 hits and left 11 runners on base, but could only push across one run, so Young lost 2-1 despite the fact that he did not give up any hits.

2pac
04-19-2005, 11:55 PM
Andy Hawkins pitched for the Yankees and lost 4-0 in his no-hit game. That is the biggest loss by a player who threw a no-hitter.

vincerodriguez23
04-20-2005, 02:12 AM
That was Matt Young, April 12, 1992 in a game against Cleveland. Young gave up no hits, but he walked Kenny Lofton in the first, allowed him to steal second and third, and then allowed Lofton to score on an error by the shortstop. In the third, he walked the first two batters, allowed the first to reach third on a fielder's choice, and then allowed him to score on another fielder's choice. The Red Sox rolled up 9 hits and left 11 runners on base, but could only push across one run, so Young lost 2-1 despite the fact that he did not give up any hits.

Wow, what a loss, i can believe you remember that! You a big Red Sox fan?

Brodels
04-20-2005, 06:05 PM

I remember it well. Even though he pitched well in that game, he was the worst free agent signing the Sox have made in the last twenty years.

Except, of course, for Jack Clark.