PDA

View Full Version : Water on the moon

MaNuMaNiAc
11-13-2009, 01:09 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/11/13/water.moon.nasa/index.html

(CNN) -- NASA said Friday it had discovered water on the moon, opening "a new chapter" that could allow for the development of a lunar space station.

The discovery is based on preliminary data collected when the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite, or LCROSS, intentionally crashed October 9 into the permanently shadowed region of Cabeus crater near the moon's south pole.

After the satellite made impact, a rocket flew through the debris cloud, measuring the amount of water present.

"The discovery opens a new chapter in our understanding of the moon," the space agency said in a written statement shortly after a news conference began at its Ames Research Center at Moffett Field near San Francisco.

Anthony Colaprete announced the discovery at a noon news conference -- "Indeed, yes, we found water."

The Moon
11-13-2009, 01:10 PM
First cheese....now water.

Bigzax
11-13-2009, 01:23 PM
it's bong water on the dark side.

Phenomanul
11-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Neat!

BlackSwordsMan
11-13-2009, 02:20 PM
1 billion dollars of tax payers money for scientists to tell us there is water on the moon
awesome

Cyrano
11-13-2009, 09:56 PM
That wasn't water from the moon. The probe peed itself just before impact.

The Reckoning
11-13-2009, 10:05 PM
if you drank it, would it give you super powers?

11-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Mike is not amused.

TDMVPDPOY
11-13-2009, 11:39 PM
they shouldve found this long time ago when armstrong landed on the moon, or he didnt...fkn nasa

lefty
11-13-2009, 11:54 PM
It's not water (well, it's part water)

It's just what Neil Armstrong left in order to mark his territory

Jimmy Bobby
11-14-2009, 10:26 PM
I thought this thread was "Walter on the Moon."

I always wondered what became of Pasacrita.

sabar
11-15-2009, 12:16 AM
1 billion dollars of tax payers money for scientists to tell us there is water on the moon
awesome

Its that or put the money into university grants so people can tell us there is water on earth.

thispego
11-15-2009, 12:26 AM
It's not water (well, it's part water)

It's just what Neil Armstrong left in order to mark his territory

a dozen 2 gallon buckets of piss? neil and buzz musta been geetin badusted on the lunar lander

phyzik
11-15-2009, 02:33 AM
It's bullshit, just listen to mouse, we never went to the moon. NASA is just bullshiting so they and the government can screw us over for our tax dollars.

It's all an elaborate hoax over the past 40+ years to make sure the USSR never comes back to haunt us and to keep stealing our tax dollars for bullshit like paving the way for LCD technology.

Face it, our elected government is out to get us. The only proof you need is from some guy that mows lawns and pretends to be a computer tech, who doesnt even know what a fucking FTP server is or how to access one, and its all a conspiracy because no one will hire his lazy ass.

He definately knows what he's talking about. :rolleyes

phyzik
11-15-2009, 02:51 AM
just for the record, a few months ago, when I thought mouse was cool (forgive me) I was willing to give him access to my personal FTP server which has alot of stuff on it, thinking he was also a computer tech and might want access to what I have.

Go ahead Mouse, rat me out. You dont know what I have on it and you never will. I know you never accessed it. I changed the access ports, removed your account, and the only people that have access now are co-workers so whatever.

mouse
11-15-2009, 04:11 AM
It's bullshit, just listen to mouse, we never went to the moon. NASA is just bullshiting so they and the government can screw us over for our tax dollars.

It's all an elaborate hoax over the past 40+ years to make sure the USSR never comes back to haunt us and to keep stealing our tax dollars for bullshit like paving the way for LCD technology.

Face it, our elected government is out to get us. The only proof you need is from some guy that mows lawns and pretends to be a computer tech, who doesnt even know what a fucking FTP server is or how to access one, and its all a conspiracy because no one will hire his lazy ass.

He definately knows what he's talking about. :rolleyes

You seem to be really taking this NASA shit serious. Why not add to the topic instead of dragging me into it and hyjacking it as you use this topic to insult me?

So really if anyone here at the Club has a different opinion than yours they don't have the right to express it?

If I knew you was going to get all butt hurt about me disagreeing with you on the moon landings I would have never engaged in a debate with you in the first place. I actually thought you was an adult.

And what does NASA have to do with me mowing lawns? Do you look down upon people who work in the landscaping business? Did you know at one time Biill Gates and Steve Jobs mowed lawns?
I hope anyone here who does this for a living doesn't get offended by your racist comments. As for pretending to be a computer tech?
If you need references of people I did work for or companies I did contact work for I can pm them to you, but what this has to do with water on the moon I have no idea.

And because I didn't talk like an expert about a FTP servers I am lazy? Do you even know how you sound?

or are you waiting for the beer to wear off?

mouse
11-15-2009, 04:35 AM
just for the record, a few months ago, when I thought mouse was cool (forgive me) I was willing to give him access to my personal FTP server which has alot of stuff on it, thinking he was also a computer tech and might want access to what I have.

Go ahead Mouse, rat me out. You dont know what I have on it and you never will. I know you never accessed it. I changed the access ports, removed your account, and the only people that have access now are co-workers so whatever.

Now who is sounding like a conspiracy nut? I told you in the PMs (thank you) But I would not want to have access to anyones data and that I have to flush my PC twice a month I never have time to accumulate enough data to fully use your offer.

And now I can see I made the right decision, are you one of those persons that when they get upset they bring up everything they ever did for that person starting in grade school?

And why would you feel the need to tell others? You think because I used to mow lawns and don't know shit about computers it's going to prove NASA landed on the Moon?

So if I did use your server not only would you tell everyone you would lock me out and from what I have read even take me to small claims court?

What I like about your behavior it shows everyone that you must of felt I was a lazy worthless piece of shit prior to the NASA debate since it's only three days old. You must of known I mowed lawns before you offered me your precious FTP server which means your a fraud you use people you act like you like them and you lie to them making them think they are ok when you want something from them why else would you turn your back on them so quickly and without any compassion?

ok you win! NASA landed on the moon! can we now be friends? or do I need to graduate from MIT or an ivy league computer school to be worthy of your friendship and your FTP server?

Please don't shut me out of your life I will mow your lawns for free, I will suppport NASA please give me one more chance! please I beg of you!

Bigzax
11-15-2009, 07:44 AM
why the fuck do we care if there is water on the moon?

The Reckoning
11-15-2009, 11:16 AM
if we build a lunar base, we could use it

Wild Cobra
11-15-2009, 11:44 AM
why the fuck do we care if there is water on the moon?if we build a lunar base, we could use it
No kidding.

Water is probably the hardest thing to come by that we need in bulk on the moon.

We can start by bringing in a small shelter. We can set up a large array of solar cells by the time we make several trips. We can use electrolosis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis) to make aluminum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum_processing) for more building materials and the major byproduct of that process is oxygen. After a few years, like the growing International Space Station, we an have a viable moon base with an aluminum plant, foundry, making building etc. from a machine shop too. We can build hydroponic greenhouses, and soon become self sustaining making larger and larger livable habitations in geodesic domes, like they use on Antarctica.

It's even feasible to make aluminum in bulk on the moon, and use a linear accelerator to put it in a low earth orbit, or even equip it for a controlled entry to us.

There are so many other endless things we could do. My favorite is using the material built on the moon, placed in earth orbit, for a rotating space city like Babylon 5.

http://johnnymilton.com/image/GeodesicDome.JPG

tlongII
11-15-2009, 01:29 PM
It will be interesting to see just "how much" water is there.