PDA

View Full Version : Polls: majority of Americans want govt-run heath care

DarrinS
11-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Or not

http://www.gallup.com/poll/124253/Say-Health-Coverage-Not-Gov-Responsibility.aspx

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/qs4wyl__0uev0lby5jsnjq.gif

clambake
11-13-2009, 05:01 PM
what will your boss do about it? for or against?

EmptyMan
11-13-2009, 05:05 PM
It is inevitable.

MannyIsGod
11-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Then its a good thing that government run health care isn't on the table.

DarrinS
11-13-2009, 06:18 PM

Then it's the private sector that's going to require people (by law) to purchase health insurance. Really?

nUkzV8h3Wp0

Winehole23
11-13-2009, 06:42 PM
(http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3834624#post3834624)

its a good thing that government run health care isn't on the table.Then it's the private sector that's going to require people (by law) to purchase health insurance. Really?What is a heath insurance mandate? Is that government run health care?

MannyIsGod
11-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Then it's the private sector that's going to require people (by law) to purchase health insurance. Really?

nUkzV8h3Wp0

Thats not government run healthcare.

EmptyMan
11-13-2009, 06:55 PM

Manny, are you playing the political game or do you truly believe this.

Obama and the rest of the top "leaders" have all said whatever comes is obviously another stepping stone to the end game.

DarrinS
11-13-2009, 06:57 PM
This is not a duck.

http://wildbirds-ai.cirad.fr/images/birds/fulvous-whistling-duck.jpg

Winehole23
11-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Does the bill turn the government into a health care provider, or an insurance provider?

If the latter, how does that lead to *government run* healthcare. If it's so obvious, you should be able to explain it easily, EM.

EmptyMan
11-13-2009, 06:59 PM
lol @ "triggers"

EmptyMan
11-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Funny how the dems went straight for public option before exercising the other obvious options first.

lololololol

Winehole23
11-13-2009, 07:07 PM
You mean triggers for a publicly funded insurance exchange? How is that government run health care? Sounds more like government run insurance to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for it. But at least be honest about what it is.

DarrinS
11-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Does the bill turn the government into a health care provider, or an insurance provider?

How about controller of both?

Winehole23
11-13-2009, 07:13 PM
How about controller of both?You're gonna have to explain what you mean by that. It's not obvious. Inasmuch as Congress writes laws affecting health care and insurance, it *controls* them, but that is hardly a novelty.

If Congress passing laws related to insurance and health care is sufficient cause to call health care "government run", then we've had "government run" health care for a very long time already.

MannyIsGod
11-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Darrin obviously doesn't know what government run health care is.

Wild Cobra
11-13-2009, 07:19 PM

nUkzV8h3Wp0
How can it even be constitutional?

ChumpDumper
11-13-2009, 07:30 PM
How can it even be constitutional?There are too many pages for it to be constitutional!

boutons_deux
11-13-2009, 08:20 PM
The VA and military hospitals are govt run health care.

Medicare/Medicaid are NOT govt run health care.

The bills in Congress are NOT govt run health care.

DarrinS
11-13-2009, 10:18 PM
The VA and military hospitals are govt run health care.

Medicare/Medicaid are NOT govt run health care.

The bills in Congress are NOT govt run health care.

Yep, the govt is going to make all health care workers govt employees. That's EXACTLY what we mean by govt-run health care.

:rolleyes

exstatic
11-13-2009, 10:31 PM
There are too many pages for it to be constitutional!

:lol

I'll need proof and witness that saw it being un-constitutional. The word of law enforcement won't do.

exstatic
11-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Yep, the govt is going to make all health care workers govt employees. That's EXACTLY what we mean by govt-run health care.

Medicare/Medicaid and Tricare doctors are NOT government employees. Try to maybe change your TV station off of Fox for an hour or two a week.

boutons_deux
11-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Darrin doesn't know what the fuck HE means by govt taking over health care. Just a stock Repug phrase robotically parroted by dumbfucks.

florige
11-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Medicare/Medicaid and Tricare doctors are NOT government employees. Try to maybe change your TV station off of Fox for an hour or two a week.

MannyIsGod
11-13-2009, 11:01 PM

:lmao

Its not our fault you don't know what the words you use mean.

Winehole23
11-14-2009, 01:22 AM
DarrinS in precis (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=62258&dict=CALD):

Misleading banner, well nigh immediate resort to strawman, tacky attempt to distract with a platitudinous cliche; a tedious and slightly obtuse semantic tack; all capped by a piece of sarcastic irony meant to put some daylight between him and his glaring mistake.

wut
11-14-2009, 01:50 PM
I think the better way is to have tort reform, increased legislation to keep the health industry from making health insurance unaffordable (making caps...gov't subsides for lower income, remove inane policies like 'pre-existing conditions', etc)...however having said that just looking at the Banking industry (credit card companies, banks, etc) ...it's pretty clear they'll just find a loop hole to screw you so they can keep high profit margins.

If you don't have a public option to keep the private industry honest, it's clear where we are in our history (on the extreme side of capitalism), they'll just increase rates somewhere else to make up for the loss in profits.

And not to go completely off-topic...but why isn't obesity/cardiovascular disease being talked about at all in this debate of health care? It's pretty clear the reason people can't afford health care is because of America's unhealthy habits....which is to say making health insurance more affordable isn't just going to solve the problem alone (ie. gov't run health care would make health more of an integral part of American society).

Summary:

In a perfect world, reform of the current private health care industry is preferred.

However, our world is not perfect, so at the very least a public option needs to exist.

My belief is that a public option will lead to a one-payer system eventually...and is probably for the best long-term for America...because let's face it, we're not going to stop eating bacon burgers and buying the biggest big screen tvs we can afford.

boutons_deux
11-14-2009, 02:13 PM
"reform of the current private health care industry is ..."

... is impossible, because, like the financial sector, Congress is owned by the corps.

Note that the corrupt for-profit insurance companies are protected in the health bills from having their customers in company group plans switch to the exchanges and public option.

ie, employees in group plans are "captured" by the for-profit insurance companies, denying citizens free choice of their health insurance.

The insurance cartel has protected is cartel and exorbitant profits, that they increase by raising prices for the sole reaon on increasing profits detached from costs, simply because they can, like the banks and cc issuers raise their fees simply to generate more revenue without increase in costs or products delivered.

wut
11-14-2009, 02:16 PM
agreed, which is why I think anything less than a public option will fix nothing.

jman3000
11-15-2009, 02:40 PM
ruh roh

FromWayDowntown
11-15-2009, 02:55 PM
How can it even be constitutional?

Art. I, Section 8.

DarrinS
11-15-2009, 10:08 PM
You're wrong. I won't give you any facts or reasons for my rebuttal, but here's a nice smiiley.

Wild Cobra
11-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Art. I, Section 8.
Please explain to me how that that can be used to force people to buy insurance, without violation constitutional rights?

FromWayDowntown
11-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Please explain to me how that that can be used to force people to buy insurance, without violation constitutional rights?

Congress is explicitly vested with power to provide for the general welfare and is further vested with the power to make such laws as are necessary and proper to carry into execution its power to provide for the general welfare.

I'm curious what clauses of the constitution provide that people cannot be made to buy insurance (or anything else for that matter) -- really, where is the capitalism or the free market clause of the Constitution? I've studied the text and I don't see it. And since you're such a strict textualist, I'm sure you won't hit me back with any sort of "it's implicit in the text" or "it was clear that that was the intention of the Framers." Frankly, I don't think you get to be a textualist when it suits you.

And, interestingly, States seem to be perfectly within their rights to demand that drivers purchase insurance as a precondition to driving. While I realize that driving is a privilege and that one could simply choose not to drive and avoid the obligation to purchase insurance, the ultimate consequence of such laws seems quite clearly to contradict your constitutional argument.

exstatic
11-15-2009, 11:32 PM
People are forced to buy auto insurance. Someone call the Supreme Court!!

boutons_deux
11-16-2009, 03:54 AM
Typical right-wing lying, the subject says

"majority of Americans want govt-run heath care"

but the poll question is

"the federal government's responsibility to make sure all Americans have healthcare coverage"

=========

Can't say it's causality, but

the weaker the Dems make the "public option",

the more the reform looks like a mandated revenue for the for-profit insurers gougers,

the less the reform limits exorbitant health service price gouging

health reform not nullifying the law forbidding the govt from negotiating drug prices

a employee-insured Americans will be denied access to public option exchanges

unemployed/self-employed Americans won't get the tax-free benefit when they buy insurance like employees do,

denying abortion funding (1M abortions/year and millions more women who support right-to-choose)

... the less Americans poll as supporting the reform.

The Americans who have overwhelmingly supported a govt-run health insurance and govt controls on prices are not seeing the two objectives achieved.

Wild Cobra
11-16-2009, 11:37 AM
People are forced to buy auto insurance. Someone call the Supreme Court!!
Please don't tell me you believe that is the same.

Buying car insurance is a requirement to drive. Not everybody drives.

Is it then your position we euthinise people who don't buy health insurance? That they have no privilege to live if they don't pay?

boutons_deux
11-16-2009, 11:49 AM
"Buying car insurance is a requirement to drive"

US is trying to advance American civilization (trying to catch up with other advanced societies) by making access to health care a right, not a privilege.

Expanding rights is as American as American military imperialism and bullshit wars.

Wild Cobra
11-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Congress is explicitly vested with power to provide for the general welfare and is further vested with the power to make such laws as are necessary and proper to carry into execution its power to provide for the general welfare.

Making someone buy a product they don't want is unethical, and not in the interest for the general welfare.

What's next? Make people vote democrat?

I'm curious what clauses of the constitution provide that people cannot be made to buy insurance (or anything else for that matter) -- really, where is the capitalism or the free market clause of the Constitution? I've studied the text and I don't see it. And since you're such a strict textualist, I'm sure you won't hit me back with any sort of "it's implicit in the text" or "it was clear that that was the intention of the Framers." Frankly, I don't think you get to be a textualist when it suits you.

How about the 9th and 10th amendments for starters:

Ninth Amendment – Protection of rights not specifically enumerated in the Bill of Rights.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Tenth Amendment – Powers of States and people.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Congress gets away with so many things not spelled out in their congressional powers using the commerce clause. Health is not commerce.

And, interestingly, States seem to be perfectly within their rights to demand that drivers purchase insurance as a precondition to driving. While I realize that driving is a privilege and that one could simply choose not to drive and avoid the obligation to purchase insurance, the ultimate consequence of such laws seems quite clearly to contradict your constitutional argument.Bullshit.

We can be forced to buy auto insurance only because it is a privilege to drive.

Are you saying it's a privilege to live? I guess people don't have the privilege to live if they don't buy health insurance. Why do you believe that?

FromWayDowntown
11-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Making someone buy a product they don't want is unethical, and not in the interest for the general welfare.

Then vote this group of Congresspeople out. That you disagree with what the elected Congress believes to be in the interest of the general welfare is not the test. That the elected Congress believes this bill to be in the interest of the general welfare is.

You think it's unethical; plenty of people think it's promoting the general welfare and perfectly ethical.

And if it turns out to be something that the general public thinks is not protecting its general welfare, these Congresspeople will be ousted and a different majority will take over and might repeal the law. That's the way the system works.

How about the 9th and 10th amendments for starters:

The 9th and 10th Amendments are inapplicable here because Congress is acting through an expressly enumerated power and the power is, accordingly, expressly delegated to the United States. In other words, the General Welfare clause and the Necessary & Proper Clauses trump the 9th and 10th Amendments -- and they do so expressly.

What I'm struck by, however, is the notion that the 9th and 10th Amendments somehow provide that people cannot be made to buy insurance or ensure that capitalism and free markets must exist in the United States. I realize that retreat to the broad terms of those amendments has become the sole refuge for those who contest this sort of legislation -- really, because there's nothing else in the Constitution that would support any kind of constitutional challenge to it -- but that strikes me as exactly the support of non-textualism that admitted textualists like you decry.

Congress gets away with so many things not spelled out in their congressional powers using the commerce clause. Health is not commerce.

This is not a matter implicating the commerce clause -- at least I don't think it necessarily has to be. The expansive power of the Necessary and Proper Clause allows Congress to regulate things that aren't necessarily commerce, particularly if Congress concludes that the matter to be regulated will promote the general welfare.

You have an uncanny willingness to simply disregard constitutional authority that directly defeats your arguments.

Wild Cobra
11-16-2009, 10:31 PM
You're a real shithead. Twisting our freedoms to nothingness.

FromWayDowntown
11-16-2009, 10:43 PM
You're a real shithead. Twisting our freedoms to nothingness.

I'm not "twisting" anything. You suggested that what Congress was doing was unconstitutional. I've merely refuted that suggestion on your part, by pointing to Constitutional text that permits Congress to do exactly what it's doing, and by demonstrating that your contentions to the contrary are baseless.

But I can tell you this: I don't twist the Constitution to fit my desires. It says what it says. Sometimes the way that works out leaves me disappointed; sometimes the way that works out is an outcome I desire. That's what happens in a Constitutional system of government.

I haven't, to my knowledge, weighed in on the substance of health care reform -- mostly because I'm still not sure what is the right thing to do.

Wild Cobra
11-16-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm not "twisting" anything. You suggested that what Congress was doing was unconstitutional. I've merely refuted that suggestion on your part, by pointing to Constitutional text that permits Congress to do exactly what it's doing, and by demonstrating that your contentions to the contrary are baseless.

But I can tell you this: I don't twist the Constitution to fit my desires. It says what it says. Sometimes the way that works out leaves me disappointed; sometimes the way that works out is an outcome I desire. That's what happens in a Constitutional system of government.

I haven't, to my knowledge, weighed in on the substance of health care reform -- mostly because I'm still not sure what is the right thing to do.
You haven't refuted shit, but you are construing the words.

FromWayDowntown
11-16-2009, 10:54 PM
You haven't refuted shit, but you are construing the words.

Okay, then tell me how the 9th or 10th Amendments trump Article I. Or tell me why legislation like this doesn't fit within the express grants of power in Article I, section 8 -- something other than the fact that you personally disagree with the legislation and the means it seeks to achieve.

Come on, I'm sure this will be easy . . . .

MannyIsGod
11-16-2009, 10:56 PM
:lmao