PDA

View Full Version : Russell: Jordan's afraid of me cuz "I'd whup his ass"

Allanon
11-13-2009, 07:05 PM
This should be fun :lol

Russell: Jordan 'afraid' to play him (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/arash_markazi/11/13/jordan.russell/index.html)

Bryon Russell wasn't joking when he challenged Michael Jordan to a game of one-on-one after being called out in Jordan's Hall of Fame induction speech. But Russell is beginning to think that Jordan was kidding when he agreed to play.

In an interview with SI.com on Friday, Russell said he spoke to Jordan a few days after the speech in September and outlined a scenario in which the two would face off for charity. Russell said Jordan agreed pending review of an official proposal. According to Russell, he had the plan drawn up a month later but Jordan hasn't returned his calls.

"I got everything together that he wanted and now I'm just waiting on his response," said Russell, Jordan's teammate with the Wizards during the 2002-03 season. "I don't know if he's scared or what."

The proposed pay-per-view matchup would take place in Las Vegas in late June or July. While the game would benefit charity, Russell, 38, indicated that he's lined up sponsors and investors who could give Jordan, 46, a multimillion-dollar payday.

"If he looked at this, I guarantee you he wouldn't turn this down," said Russell, who retired in 2006. "Let's just say it's what he asked for and more. It's going to be like a fight night but bigger. Can you imagine Vegas if this happened? Michael Jordan coming out of retirement to play one more time against Bryon Russell in a one-one-one, winner-take-all game -- it would be huge."

During his Hall of Fame speech, Jordan recalled how Russell teased him when the two saw each other in 1994. Russell was a rookie with the Jazz and Jordan had retired to play minor league baseball.

"At this time, I had no thoughts of coming back and playing the game of basketball," Jordan said. "Bryon Russell came over to me and said, 'Why did you quit? You know I could guard you.' When I did come back in 1995 and we played Utah in '96, I'm at the center circle and Bryon Russell is standing next to me. I said, 'You remember the [comments] you made in 1994 about, 'I think I can guard you, I can shut you down, I would love to play against you? Well, you're about to get your chance.' "

In the 1998 NBA Finals, Jordan hit the defining shot of his career over Russell, a championship-clinching jumper that gave him six titles with the Bulls.
"From this day forward," Jordan said in his speech, "if I ever see him in shorts, I'm coming at him."

Russell, however, has his doubts.

"I think he's afraid to play me," Russell said. "I know he has an image, but I don't think this game would hurt it. Who can hurt Mike's image? I don't think I can. I was happy when I called him out of retirement and he came back, and I want to see him do it again. I hope he takes me seriously because I'm taking him seriously. I know I'm not going to lose. I would whup his ass."

vdPQ3QxDZ1s

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Everytime I click on this thinking you're talking about Bill Russell.

AussieFanKurt
11-13-2009, 07:29 PM
yeah byrons the irrelevant player with the last name of russell

JoeTait75
11-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I think Nipsy Russell or Kurt Russell would have a better chance of beating MJ one-on-one than Bryan Russell.

pawe
11-13-2009, 10:28 PM
I dont think so, MJ has gained a lot of weight. I will pay to see that one on one game though.

dallaskd
11-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Jordan pushed off on that shot. Any other player and that's an offensive foul.

Chieflion
11-13-2009, 10:33 PM
The only reason why Byron Russell is even relevant or known in the NBA world is because Jordan consistently scored over him in the NBA finals on a game winning shot.

picc84
11-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Oh, Byron. Byron, Byron, Byron. The wounds run deep, don't they. I wish they'd actually do this, someone would get embarrased either way, MJ or Byron.

Killakobe81
11-13-2009, 11:50 PM
I thinnk thi si funny only becuz I would love to see Mj bust his ass to get in shape for this ...

pawe
11-14-2009, 12:15 AM
Jordan pushed off on that shot. Any other player and that's an offensive foul.

Wrong. Reggie Miller's game winning 3 pointer on MJ.

Darrin
11-14-2009, 12:20 AM
Everytime I click on this thinking you're talking about Bill Russell.

That's who I thought it was about. Byron Russell has a big head.

Hemotivo
11-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Oh, Byron. Byron, Byron, Byron. The wounds run deep, don't they. I wish they'd actually do this, someone would get embarrased either way, MJ or Byron.

Bryon

SenorSpur
11-14-2009, 01:02 AM
Memo to Bryon:
Don't tug on Superman's cape - even in retirement.

eyeh8u
11-14-2009, 01:07 AM
Memo to Bryon:
Don't tug on Superman's cape - even in retirement.
superman isn't plack
you mean black lighting's cape, if he had one

http://www.dcuc.info/images/wave_5/black_lightning_1.jpg

lefty
11-14-2009, 02:37 AM
Dear Bryon Russell,

Michael Jordan already whupped your ass.

Twice.

duhoh
11-14-2009, 03:12 AM
so russell's opinion obviously matters, right?

LA24
11-14-2009, 06:43 AM
MJ should just ignore this gnat. Russell's in a win win situation. If Russell beats Jordan, it's "oh shit !! LMAO @ #23," if he loses, it's "ain't no shame in losing to GOAT."

On the other hand, what does Michael gain from beating a nobody ? But should he lose to one...

Warlord23
11-14-2009, 06:56 AM
As anybody who watched the 2 Chicago-Utah finals will tell you, Jordan is probably tired of owning Bryon Russell and the state of Utah time and again.

1997 finals game 1: Jordan swishes the game winner over Russell at the buzzer as the Bulls win 84-82

1997 finals game 5: Jordan plays with the flu, hangs 38/7/5/3 on Russell and the Jazz, including a 3-pointer with under a minute left to give the Bulls the lead for good

1998 finals game 3: Chicago wiped the floor with Utah and beat them by 42! The trio of Russell/Hornacek/Stockton combined for 13 points

1998 finals game 6: The buzzer-beater and alleged push off over Russell

pauls931
11-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Bryon got screwed on that play, but now he sounds like a school kid issuing a challenge. STFU Russelll.... Hell most of the people on this board would at worst get a tie in a game of one on one with Wilt if the game is held today.