PDA

View Full Version : I heart Luis Scola

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Just watching the Rockets v Sacto game, enjoying the work of my fantasy boys JT and Evans, and I realised that I love watching Luis Scola on a basketball court. Sure, he's top 5 All-NBA Ugliest Team, but his game is beautiful - fundamental, efficient, intelligent. He's got great footwork, soft touch, and fine rebounding and defensive instincts.

Pity, he's not a Spur, because he'd be incredible next to Timmy, but here's to you and old skool basketball, Luis Scola! :toast

PS The Sacto announcers are pathetically parochial and biased. :bang

boston.balla
11-14-2009, 03:21 PM
true. With him san anton would be very dangerous.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-14-2009, 03:23 PM
true. With him san anton would be very dangerous.

You have no idea what kind of pot you're stirring on this site with that comment.

Indazone
11-14-2009, 03:31 PM
LOL

SCOLA THREAD!!!

And the fun never ends! :lol

Muser
11-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Spurfan should never make a thread about scola..:depressed

spursfan1000
11-14-2009, 04:34 PM
When do you guys get married?

jag
11-14-2009, 04:37 PM
LOL

SCOLA THREAD!!!

And the fun never ends! :lol

Sure it does...

http://images.chron.com/blogs/franblinebury/mcgrady-concussion.JPG

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/2006-12/25/xin_40120325085406343785.jpg

urunobili
11-14-2009, 04:53 PM
:depressed

exstatic
11-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Scola brings scoring and rebounding. The Spurs have plenty of that in their big man corps of Duncan, Dice, and Blair. Sure, with all of their injuries last year, SA could have used him. He brings nothing to the table that SA needs, at this point, though. What the Spurs COULD use is a premium rebounder/shotblocker/defender in the paint, a Joakim Noah type. Scola is a good (not great) rebounder, non-shotblocker, average defender, so pining for him is moot as far as team needs goes.

noob cake
11-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Scola brings scoring and rebounding. The Spurs have plenty of that in their big man corps of Duncan, Dice, and Blair. Sure, with all of their injuries last year, SA could have used him. He brings nothing to the table that SA needs, at this point, though. What the Spurs COULD use is a premium rebounder/shotblocker/defender in the paint, a Joakim Noah type. Scola is a good (not great) rebounder, non-shotblocker, average defender, so pining for him is moot as far as team needs goes.

:lol:lmao:rollin:blah

9/15/4/10/13/15 rebounding games.

Please stop bashing Scola just because he is not on the Spurs; and stop claiming that Spurs don't need Scola now.

I (heart) Scola too.

Indazone
11-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Ahhh a thread like this does a Rocketfan's heart a world of good! :D

Scola
11-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Same here, shame we let him go.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-14-2009, 08:14 PM
I'll just point out that this is NOT a thread pining for Scola, it's a thread recognising that he's a really nice fundamental balla, and even though we gave him away I love watching he guy play. ;)

Indazone
11-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Scola is the bomb! Love this thread!

wireonfire
11-14-2009, 11:16 PM

Can you throw the ball to Dice or Blair on the block and ask them to create?

exstatic
11-15-2009, 12:57 AM
Can you throw the ball to Dice or Blair on the block and ask them to create?

Dice? Yes. He can play the low block, including passing out of it. Blair? No, he's a rookie, albeit a rookie carrying a 15.4 rebs/40 mins average, a bit better than Scola's. Different players, different strengths.

exstatic
11-15-2009, 12:59 AM
:lol:lmao:rollin:blah

9/15/4/10/13/15 rebounding games.

Please stop bashing Scola just because he is not on the Spurs; and stop claiming that Spurs don't need Scola now.

I (heart) Scola too.

Please find one thing in my post that is a bash. God DAMNIT you Rox fan pussies are butthurt over your Argie. He's a good player, but he doesn't bring anything we don't have this year. Got it?

boston.balla
11-15-2009, 02:28 AM
You have no idea what kind of pot you're stirring on this site with that comment.

you're right.. had no idea :wow

Allanon
11-15-2009, 02:40 AM
Ironically, if the Spurs had kept Scola, they probably could have extended Tim's career. Tim's over-exerting himself picking up the scoring, rebounding and defensive slack next to Bonner and Dice.

A few years from now, I think we might look back and see the trading of Scola as the effective end of the Spurs championship runs. Just look at the guys that Tim's played next to since Scola got dumped. Compare them to the tough 15 points 10 rebounds that Scola brings nightly.

Kamnik
11-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Just watching the Rockets v Sacto game, enjoying the work of my fantasy boys JT and Evans, and I realised that I love watching Luis Scola on a basketball court. Sure, he's top 5 All-NBA Ugliest Team, but his game is beautiful - fundamental, efficient, intelligent. He's got great footwork, soft touch, and fine rebounding and defensive instincts.

Pity, he's not a Spur, because he'd be incredible next to Timmy, but here's to you and old skool basketball, Luis Scola! :toast

PS The Sacto announcers are pathetically parochial and biased. :bang

Can't agree more. I love watching him play.

He is also a big reason why Rockets are one of my favourite teams outside the Spurs offcourse. I Like all of their players and coach except T-mac.

Riverwalkman
11-15-2009, 10:01 AM
I love his foot work, his spinning to baseline looks smooth and fast, and when he does that his long hair always glances off the defender's petrified face.

Morg1411
11-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Great thread. Original. Thought provoking. High quality stuff.

noob cake
11-15-2009, 11:17 AM
I love his foot work, his spinning to baseline looks smooth and fast, and when he does that his long hair always glances off the defender's petrified face.

homo much?

mystargtr34
11-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Ironically, if the Spurs had kept Scola, they probably could have extended Tim's career. Tim's over-exerting himself picking up the scoring, rebounding and defensive slack next to Bonner and Dice.

A few years from now, I think we might look back and see the trading of Scola as the effective end of the Spurs championship runs. Just look at the guys that Tim's played next to since Scola got dumped. Compare them to the tough 15 points 10 rebounds that Scola brings nightly.

:lol

I like Scola too. He is alot like Duncan in that he does 99% of his work based on skill - which is something you have to admire - but Scola is not the sort of player this team needs.

McDyess + Blair = 14 PPG, 12 RPG on about 55%. In about 36 MPG thats ok..

The team needs someone who can block shots. Everytime Duncan gets caught in a P&R there is no one to help and protect the paint.

mystargtr34
11-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Having said that, i would swap Scola with McDyess... because hes younger and better on the block.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Great thread. Original. Thought provoking. High quality stuff.

Compared with most of the threads in this forum it's a fucking thesis!

AussieFanKurt
11-16-2009, 06:32 AM
HaHA
yeah good point
we jump on those comments

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-16-2009, 07:57 AM
I also heart Kyle Lowry. He's one tough junkyard dog kid. Followed him since Memphis days because I had him in DL II.

That 2 O rebound play in the 4th against the Fakers was awesome. :D

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-18-2009, 06:41 AM
And David Andersen is finding his feet, offensively at least. He's pretty much a one-trick pony - shooting bigman - but his fadeaway is money.

Then there's Landry, and Hayes, undersized scorer and undersized defender who routinely kill their larger opponents, and same with Aaron Brooks, who has a great inside-outside game and uses his speed to offset his lack of size (but has to work on his shot selection). Battier is a very good hustle glue guy. Even Budinger shows flashes of NBA readiness (although he's so blonde it freaks me out). This team is blue collar all round. Most of all, these guys clearly love playing together, and that makes a HUGE difference - they believe in each other, and that lifts the whole well above the sum of the parts.

The negatives: Ariza is okay, but he makes bad decisions on offense and should realise that he's a 3rd option, not an initial creator. Once he gets that, they'll be even better.

I REALLY like this Rocket team. I'll watch a lot of them this year. :tu

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Here's video of that Lowry play - he does shit like that all the time. Love the guy.

nF8fN8Nbz-Q

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Also, can someone please call Ariza on his blatant travelling. Really bad. He gets away with changing his pivot foot regularly. They seem to call that on everyone else.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
11-18-2009, 09:06 PM
10 pts
10 rbs
3 ast
1 blk

at halftime. Ok it's the T-Wolves, but some angry and ignorant Spurs fans after his trade to the Rockets posted that he'd be back in Europe by now.

Indazone
11-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Scola 20 pts 16 boards tonight against the Wolves :tu

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Scola is the 2nd best player to come out of that legendary Argentine team, behind Manu. No doubt about it.

sook
11-19-2009, 01:04 AM
Also, can someone please call Ariza on his blatant travelling. Really bad. He gets away with changing his pivot foot regularly. They seem to call that on everyone else.

lol.

Its sad tbh, how his handles are so bad, but as long as he doesn't dribble too much we'll be fine. + he's only 5 mil/yr :)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-19-2009, 02:28 AM
I think I'll defect to the Rockets.

:lol Just kidding. ;)

mystargtr34
11-19-2009, 08:46 AM
lol.

Its sad tbh, how his handles are so bad, but as long as he doesn't dribble too much we'll be fine. + he's only 5 mil/yr :)

Rocket-fans should actually be really excited with Ariza's play so far. He isnt being efficient, but he is putting up great numbers, points and assists. His % is down because he is being forced to create and finish at the rim of his dribble in traffic - which isnt his strength.

When the Rockets get a true playmaking wing to take ball-handling pressure off of him, whether it be T-Mac or someone else through trade, you will see the real Ariza, a guy with potential to be an efficient 45-48% 15-5-3 with solid perimeter D. He is money from outside, and he is excellent at cutting to the basket and finishing.