PDA

View Full Version : UFC 106: Ortiz vs. Griffin 2

dbreiden83080
11-14-2009, 12:50 PM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/309237/ufc106-2.jpg

Super Quick Turn-around for this event after this weekend but's it's a decent card.. Tito and Forrest 2 should be interesting..

Main Card

Light Heavyweight bout: Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin
Welterweight bout: Josh Koscheck vs. Anthony Johnson
Welterweight bout: Amir Sadollah vs. Phil Baroni
Light Heavyweight bout: Luiz Cane vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Welterweight bout: Karo Parisyan vs. Dustin Hazelett

Preliminary Card (Spike TV)

Middleweight bout: Kendall Grove vs. Jake Rosholt
Welterweight bout: Ben Saunders vs. Marcus Davis

Preliminary Card (Non-televised)

Welterweight bout: Paulo Thiago vs. Jacob Volkmann
Welterweight bout: Brock Larson vs. Brian Foster
Lightweight bout: Caol Uno vs. Fabricio Camoes
Lightweight bout: George Sotiropoulos vs. Jason Dent

dbreiden83080
11-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Sb2r86D3zFg&feature=channel

TheTruth
11-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Very nice card. Looking forward to it.

The 2 spike fights should be pretty damn good too.

dallaskd
11-15-2009, 01:08 AM

dbreiden83080
11-15-2009, 01:19 AM

going with Tito too, just can't bring myself to pick against him..

dbreiden83080
11-15-2009, 01:21 AM

2 tough fights to pick..

polandprzem
11-15-2009, 02:08 AM
Main Card

Preliminary Card (Spike TV)

Middleweight bout: Kendall Grove vs. Jake Rosholt
Welterweight bout: Ben Saunders vs. Marcus Davis

djohn14
11-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Main Card

desflood
11-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Main Card

2 tough fights to pick..
Can't pick against my guys from Couture's. Funny, I don't have a hard time picking against Kos at all :lol

(yes, I know that's not what you meant)

BlackSwordsMan
11-15-2009, 07:57 PM
thank god I illegally stream these

dbreiden83080
11-15-2009, 10:34 PM
thank god I illegally stream these

My Dad's in town this weekend, he likes Tito too, so we're gonna order it..

dbreiden83080
11-15-2009, 10:36 PM
The Forrest/Tito fight has a lot of variables. Is Tito better now after surgery, more explosive?? Forrest had a short camp and is he over the Silva beating? How Rusty will Tito be??

BlackSwordsMan
11-15-2009, 10:49 PM
convince your dad how watching a fuzzy blurry stream is much better than watching it in hd

dbreiden83080
11-15-2009, 11:00 PM
convince your dad how watching a fuzzy blurry stream is much better than watching it in hd

Get right on that.. :lol

Stringer_Bell
11-18-2009, 11:55 PM
The preview show tonight was pretty good. Tito seems a lot less cocky and mature, maybe it's age? At this point, it's all psychological for Griffin because no one knows if Tito is really who his videos/comments say he is. I like Forrest, but I'd like to see Tito go bashing LHW's faces in if he's indeed still capable of it.

TV Champion vs Old School Champion. It's the only match I'm picking, so here it is...

dbreiden83080
11-19-2009, 01:44 AM
This is where i throw logical picks/ betting odds out the window because i am such a fan. I'll pick the rest of the card tomorrow but Tito is one of my favorite fighters ever. He is the guy that got me back into the sport of MMA.. I can't and won't bet against him now..

WAR TITO!!!!!

dbreiden83080
11-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Main Card

Gotta go with my boy Tito here, not even sure why, just can't bring myself to bet against him. Hoping the layoff won't screw his timing to the point where he is just getting picked apart from the outside and unable to get the takedown. Forrest doesn't hit hard enough to KO Tito IMO so i do think this will go to a decision.. Could be another close one..

We'll see if Johnson is truly for real in this fight. Kos has to fight smart, use his wrestling and be patient. If he tries to trade with Johnson like he has with others in the past it's likely gonna be lights out..

Must win fight for Amir. From winning TUF to a long layoff to a bad performance a few months ago, he needs to step up here big time..

Preliminary Card

desflood
11-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Pre-fight press conf. at 1500 central.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/11/19/1165393/ufc-106-ortiz-vs-griffin-2-pre#storyjump

desflood
11-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Ooohhh - from Dana White's twitter:

Pulled out of the fight the day before weigh ins again with a laundry list of excuses!!! Let the press ask karo why! Let him explain.
6 minutes ago from TwitterBerry

Karo Parisyan has fucked over the UFC, the fans and his opponent again!!! He will not be fighting saturday or ever again in the UFC!!
19 minutes ago from TwitterBerry

dallaskd
11-19-2009, 04:16 PM
I always thought Karo was a little bitch..

dbreiden83080
11-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Ooohhh - from Dana White's twitter:

Pulled out of the fight the day before weigh ins again with a laundry list of excuses!!! Let the press ask karo why! Let him explain.
6 minutes ago from TwitterBerry

Karo Parisyan has fucked over the UFC, the fans and his opponent again!!! He will not be fighting saturday or ever again in the UFC!!
19 minutes ago from TwitterBerry

WTF why is he committing career suicide??

Everyone who picked that fight, remember to change it,,

Stringer_Bell
11-19-2009, 06:11 PM
I really wanted to see Karo fight, he was one of the first fighters I remember seeing when I started watching MMA. Not my favorite, but I was hoping he'd come back with a vengeance and put on a good fight on this card.

Welterweight bout: Ben Saunders vs. Marcus Davis -- this always struck me as a really nice match for a free prelim fight. Perhaps they move this up to replace the missing fight on the main card and give one of the lesser named fights the spotlight. I hope Dana doesn't shortchange the fans and moves George Sotiropoulos vs. Jason Dent so at least the PPV buyers can see a full card.

Or maybe Saunders vs Davis is purposefully going to be used to get last minute PPV buys? That could be smart too.

EDIT: Apparently Hazelett is still getting the fight pay and win bonus. Stupid Karo. :bang

anakha
11-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Fuck.

I'm firmly in the Hazelett bandwagon and was hoping to see him add Karo's arm to his collection.

Hope Dana lines up something for him in 107.

desflood
11-19-2009, 09:08 PM
I really wanted to see Karo fight, he was one of the first fighters I remember seeing when I started watching MMA. Not my favorite, but I was hoping he'd come back with a vengeance and put on a good fight on this card.

Welterweight bout: Ben Saunders vs. Marcus Davis -- this always struck me as a really nice match for a free prelim fight. Perhaps they move this up to replace the missing fight on the main card and give one of the lesser named fights the spotlight. I hope Dana doesn't shortchange the fans and moves George Sotiropoulos vs. Jason Dent so at least the PPV buyers can see a full card.

Or maybe Saunders vs Davis is purposefully going to be used to get last minute PPV buys? That could be smart too.

EDIT: Apparently Hazelett is still getting the fight pay and win bonus. Stupid Karo. :bang
A welterweight bout between Paulo Thiago (11-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and Jacob Volkmann (10-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) originally slated for Saturday's "UFC 106: Griffin vs. Ortiz II" un-aired preliminary card today was promoted to the pay-per-view main card.

polandprzem
11-20-2009, 02:26 AM
A welterweight bout between Paulo Thiago (11-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and Jacob Volkmann (10-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) originally slated for Saturday's "UFC 106: Griffin vs. Ortiz II" un-aired preliminary card today was promoted to the pay-per-view main card.

Yea!

i wanted to write this

A guy like Paul thiago needs to be in main cards

I did not liked karo much but now he better GTFO off my face

i'm pissed cause I wanted to see Dustin fight, he is one of my favorite fighters dammnit.

oligarchy
11-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin
Josh Koscheck vs. Anthony Johnson
Luiz Cane vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Paulo Thiago vs. Jacob Volkmann
Caol Uno vs. Fabricio Camoes

desflood
11-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Weigh-ins live today on mmajunkie at 1800 central.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16927/watch-todays-ufc-106-fighter-weigh-ins-live-on-mmajunkie-com-at-7-p-m-et.mma

dbreiden83080
11-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Can see it also here..

http://espn.go.com/mma/

desflood
11-20-2009, 04:39 PM
UFC 106 Preview: A Statistical Breakdown of Tito Ortiz vs Forrest Griffin 2
by Anton Tabuena

UFC 106 is coming up, so here's a quick breakdown that might interest the stat-geek in you.

Forrest Griffin:

• No opponent has gotten past half-guard
• Holds the record for most leg kicks landed in UFC history
• Gets stronger as fight progresses

Forrest Griffin, as shown by that statement above, has very underrated jiujitsu, as he his guard has yet to be passed by anyone he has ever competed against. Stylistically though, this doesn't have much bearing as Tito Ortiz is known to be content on sitting on his opponents guards and just start raining elbows from there. The more important question is, if Tito lands a takedown, will he be able to get up?

Forrest Griffin, holds the highest total for leg kicks landed. The fighter with the second highest? -- Keith Jardine. According to UFC.com, he averages 16 leg kicks per fight. He throws hard leg kicks, and he throws them often, but will he want to get loose and throw them as much against a wrestler who would be looking to take him down?

This guy is known for his heart, and his tremendous work-ethic. He has such good cardio that while most people start slowing down as fights go longer, Forrest does the exact opposite. UFC.com says that on his fights that lasted more than 14 mins, he has averaged 53 strikes in the first round, 62 on the second, and 67 in the third.

Tito Ortiz:

• Had longest title reign in UFC history
• Tied for second most takedowns landed in UFC history
• Lands 61% ground strikes

As marketed heavily by the UFC 106 promos, Tito Ortiz has the longest reign as champion in UFC history. According to UFC.com he held the UFC light heavyweight championship for exactly 3 years, 6 months, and 13 days. During his reign, he defended the belt five consecutive times, which ties him with future hall-of-famers Matt Hughes, and Anderson Silva for the most consecutive defenses in UFC history.

'The Huntington Beach Bad Boy' has the second highest number of takedowns landed in the UFC, a distinction he shares with current welterweight champion, Georges St. Pierre. With those takedowns, Tito Ortiz has landed 61% of his power shots on the ground and is currently ranked third with the total number of ground strikes landed. The top two, as earlier referenced in the UFC 105 stats breakdown, is headed by Randy Couture, and Georges St. Pierre respectively. Tito can very well reach the top spot if he gets Forrest down and lands at least 16 ground shots.

Verdict:

Forrest is the more dynamic striker of the two, and as said above, he throws a lot of leg kicks, and even more so in recent fights. Will he throw as much against a guy who's obviously looking for the takedown though? Maybe not. On their first meeting, Forrest only landed 4 leg kicks. One of them actually hurt Ortiz's leg, but he didn't throw them as much as usual. He still managed to win the stand-up exchanges though.

Cardio is also a huge issue in this fight. Both guys are known for their cardio, but with Ortiz's back injury, he hasn't shown it in his last few fights. If you look at their first fight, a fresh Ortiz completed 2 out of 2 takedowns in the first, threw his trademark GnP, and almost finished Forrest. But then he slowly faded and missed his next 9 takedown attempts, until the final takedown in the third, which ultimately won him the controversial decision. Ortiz says it was all because of his back injury, and that he's back to being the cardio-machine he once was. How true this is, has yet to be seen.

Will we see a much more evolved Forrest pick up where they left off, and win the exchanges while stopping the takedowns? Or will a rejuvenated Tito Ortiz deliver a sustained version of his first round performance?

djohn14
11-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Anthony Johnson is going to fuck up Josh Koscheck!

dbreiden83080
11-20-2009, 09:19 PM
we'll see if Kos fights smart, If he's reckless he loses..

dallaskd
11-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Tito is gonna win this one..

dbreiden83080
11-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Tito is gonna win this one..

"Crossing Fingers" :toast

MannyIsGod
11-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Light Heavyweight bout: Tito Ortizvs. Forrest Griffin

I'm pretty new to MMA but one thing I've learned rather quickly is how much I love Forrest. Hope he's able to win it.

desflood
11-21-2009, 05:03 PM
MMA is good stuff. What got you into it?

MannyIsGod
11-21-2009, 05:36 PM
I watched the first couple of episodes of TUF this season then just started watching everything I could. I've downloaded a bunch of old fights and I've watched some WEC stuff as well as the Fedor/Rogers fight the other night. I've seen the last 2 UFC events and I've just gotten really into it.

I'm just really liking it so far. I can't wait for tonight's fights.

dallaskd
11-21-2009, 05:40 PM
I watched the first couple of episodes of TUF this season then just started watching everything I could. I've downloaded a bunch of old fights and I've watched some WEC stuff as well as the Fedor/Rogers fight the other night. I've seen the last 2 UFC events and I've just gotten really into it.

I'm just really liking it so far. I can't wait for tonight's fights.

MMA is where its at. Ive been addicted to it for quite a few years now. ST has a good little mma board too.

dbreiden83080
11-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Don't forget 2 pre-lim fights are free on Spike starting at 9 ET..

cornbread
11-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Tito
Johnson
Nogueira
Larson
Sotiropoulus

cornbread
11-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Don't forget 2 pre-lim fights are free on Spike starting at 9 ET..

I had no idea about that. Thanks for the heads up.:tu

Evan
11-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Forrest
Johnson
Nogueira
Larson
Sotiropoulus

Evan
11-21-2009, 09:25 PM
George's body looks totally different...looks like he has more evenly dispersed muscle via traditional training. Looks like he has some Eddie Bravo 10th planet jj knee pads on so obviously he has taken on American training.

Evan
11-21-2009, 09:25 PM
ohhhhhhhh............are we about to see a North South submission?!?!!?!?

Evan
11-21-2009, 09:27 PM
fookin hell that was a thing of beauty...the Aussie Dustin Hazlett!!

Evan
11-21-2009, 09:30 PM
"I went for the OM BAA!"
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

MannyIsGod
11-21-2009, 09:37 PM
That 2nd fight was really fucking nice to watch. Enjoyed it throughly. I love submissions.

Evan
11-21-2009, 09:39 PM
That 2nd fight was really fucking nice to watch. Enjoyed it throughly. I love submissions.

George is a stud....he really needs to add at a minimum, a decent stand up game and he will be a top fighter sooner than later.

MannyIsGod
11-21-2009, 09:40 PM
DAMN - knocked the fuck out.

dbreiden83080
11-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Great performance from Ben, Really impressive Davis is no joke..

dbreiden83080
11-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Larson lost and Uno got a draw, so i am 0-1 with 3 fights left

FUCK!!! :bang

Evan
11-21-2009, 09:59 PM
The best thing for MMA is for Tito to win...

MMA simply hasn't had any legit cross over stars yet. None.

Evan
11-21-2009, 09:59 PM
PPV starting...take care y'all...enjoy the fights.

dbreiden83080
11-21-2009, 10:09 PM
My Dad's here so we are splitting the cost of this one

Hopefully it's good..

MannyIsGod
11-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Internet feed ftw

dbreiden83080
11-21-2009, 10:33 PM
one judge had it 29-28 i had Amir winning that shit like 30-26..

Reeko_Htown
11-21-2009, 11:43 PM
time for a real fight.

Come on Johnson!

Reeko_Htown
11-22-2009, 12:02 AM
damnit Anthony.

dbreiden83080
Huge Huge win for Koscheck great fight..

dbreiden83080
Anthony Johnson is going to fuck up Josh Koscheck!

Give it up for Kos.. :toast

MannyIsGod
11-22-2009, 12:05 AM
LMAO!!!

"I'm going to go talk more shit on my twitter!"

Kos made me a fan tonight. Dude has balls and skills.

InRareForm
11-22-2009, 12:26 AM
tito is such a douche. he still comes out with that eminem song and the flag :lol

MannyIsGod
11-22-2009, 12:38 AM
I have a feeling I'm not going to like this decision.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2009, 12:40 AM
NIce baby! Forrest Tito III IMO!

dbreiden83080
11-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Tito and Forrest are 1-1 with 2 SD what's with these 2??

dbreiden83080
11-22-2009, 12:43 AM
Tito just didn't fight in that 3rd Rd, i mean seriously.. He threw like 2 punches in the round..

desflood
11-22-2009, 12:59 AM
A few random thoughts...

Never bet against a Nogueira. Never.

Koscheck - what an asshole. Fake an eye injury then poke your opponent in the eye twice. Classy.

Volkmann is somebody to watch in the future. That boy can take a hit.

I scored the Forrest/Tito fight a draw. Guess that's why I'm not a judge. Or maybe I could be. 30-27? Who could possibly have thought Forrest took that second round?

Amir has redeemed himself somewhat tonight. He can definitely take a punch - Baroni threw some nasty uppercuts. Now let's see Amir take on somebody a little more relevant to today's picture. Phil's prime is about 7 years past.

dbreiden83080
11-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Koscheck - what an asshole. Fake an eye injury then poke your opponent in the eye twice. Classy.

He got poked he just played it up, either way Johnson threw an illegall bullshit knee there..

dbreiden83080
11-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Does Tito even practice his stand-up? It has to be the worse in the entire sport.

He hit Forrest some, but for whatever reason he threw nothing at all in RD 3..

Stringer_Bell
11-22-2009, 01:08 AM
Koscheck = a faker, but good MMA fighter. His eye poking was much worse than his phantom knee to the eye, but his game is well rounded.
Johnson = disappointing MMA fighter with crap cardio. He could have at least drew some blood from Kos, good thing I didn't bet on him like I would have.

Tito's first round was exactly why I thought he'd win, he looked solid and had some good energy on the ground. As the fight grew on though, I started rooting for Forrest and in the 3rd round it should have been over for Tito. Gassed out and not on the offensive at all, he was just trying to survive and score points on takedowns (which failed).

Griffin DOES seem to get better as the fight goes on, and there were a few times when it didn't look good for him when Tito was on top. But he kept fighting and I really believe he could have finished Tito in the 3rd round. No matter who win by decision, I really want a 5 rounder. One of those guys needs to be knocked out by the other or this was all for nothing. :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-22-2009, 01:33 AM
I scored the Forrest/Tito fight a draw. Guess that's why I'm not a judge. Or maybe I could be. 30-27? Who could possibly have thought Forrest took that second round?

You could say the same thing about the emo judge who scored it 30-26 or whatever for Tito.

How the fuck can any human being with any resemblance of eye sight and knowledge of the sport watch the third round of that fight tonight and award it to Tito.

LMAO.

dbreiden83080
11-22-2009, 01:44 AM
You could say the same thing about the emo judge who scored it 30-26 or whatever for Tito.

How the fuck can any human being with any resemblance of eye sight and knowledge of the sport watch the third round of that fight tonight and award it to Tito.

LMAO.

One judge had it 30-27 for Forrest not Tito and the score overall

RD 1 and 2 were arguably Tito Rounds, he got 3 takedowns and landed some GNP in those rounds, he cut Forrest in Round 2. Round 3 i thought was 10-8 Forrest, so i had it a draw.. Tito just stood there, maybe he was tired or hurt but he was in position to win that fight and he let it get away..

dallaskd
11-22-2009, 02:00 AM
my quick two cents on some of the fights tonight:

Rosholt vs Grove:

Alright I really liked this fight. Rosholt showed off his stellar wrestling. I thought Grove did a nice job on the scrambles and always found a way to get back to full guard even when he had Rosholt mounted on him. It took some guts for him to temporarily give up his back. That was a sick transition to get the tap. Rosholt will be a nice fighter once he puts it together. I'd like to see Grove test his chin against a Chris Leben type fighter again. Still dont know with him if he can take shots after that KO-loss run he made.

Marcus Davis vs. Ben Saunders:

I am completely stunned how fast Saunders has progressed since coming off TUF 6. He is a huge guy at 170. Still dont know where he fits again.. Swick worked him pretty good. Who knows where Marcus Davis goes from here. He can no longer push the "im irish" act in the US or the UK. He obviously will never be contender again (if he ever was). Still I think he can give a solid knock out here and there on some UFN cards (i.e. Chris Lytle). Saunders' thai clinch was nasty. Not many smaller guys at 170 can get out of a plum that strong and his legs are just so long. Looking foward to seeing him again. Maybe against Paulo Thiago?

Amir Sadollah vs. Phil Baroni:

Baroni once again proves he is still un-badass. Looked like the same out of shape piece of shit we saw in Strikeforce. The UFC needs to drop him. Im not sure he could really push a card in New York anyways, but I think Dana has him here anyways to be lobbyist and pressure the NY athletic commision. Sadollah looked good. A lot better from his last fight. He still has a lot of room to improve, he only has 4 professional fights. I just dont know where the ladder will cut off for him.

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Luis Arthur Cane:

Somewhat surprised here. These looked like 2 different fighters from their fights with Sokoudjou. I knew Nog had some hands. He was on the Brazilian Olympic boxing team, but hot damn. I though Cane would put up a better fight. The guy is supposed to be a top 10 LHW. Lil Nog could be a force in the LHW division. I would actually like to see him fight Forrest. That would be a hell of a matchup stylistically.

Paulo Thiago vs. Jacob Volkmann:

Im still not sure what to think about Thiago. The Koscheck knock out is still a little fluky in my mind. Sure he dominated but against Jacob Volkman.. really? The dudes nickname is "christmas" :lol Thiago did a good job moving Volkman against the cage and passing but I was impressed with how volkmann used to the cage and kept getting back to his feet. That cut had to have taken a lot of out him. Volkman is a great wrestler, but still has to add a lot to his game and we dont even know how good Thiago really is yet.

Josh Koscheck vs. Anthony Johnson:

This fight was bullshit on so many levels. It was a bad illegal blow on Johnson. And Kos takes over the time limit to recover. Im not even sure what the hell hurt his left eye. And then in the next round Anothny gets fucking stabbed in the same eye Kevin Burns poked repeatedly and almost put his eye out. Talk about bad luck. Thats got to hurt a fighter mentally when you have to repeatedly think about a finger hitting your eye lid. Must have been a very emotional time in the cage for Anthony and took away a lot of his focus. I think it ultimately cost him the fight when carelessly let Kos take his back and get the choke. I agree Kos is more worthy of a title shot than Hardy. And make Hardy fight outside of the UK for once, fuck. Not sure if its a fair comparison but looked what happened to Bisping when he finally came out vs a legitmate opponent. Kos would fuck up hardy imo, unless he got careless and left himself open. Hardy is no more dangerous than Johnson. Johnson and Hardy would really be a better match-up really. Somebody would get knocked the fuck out. Hardy doesnt have the wrestling at all to even compete with GSP.

Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin:

Ahh what a classic war again. Tito looked solid in the first round. Forrest won the war on the feet (lots of body shots), but I thought the takedowns were enough to give Ortiz the round. Maybe the judges gave that one to Griffin because he was able to reverse tito on the ground? Still, great clinch work from Forrest in the first round. The kimura attempt was never really close to ending the fight. The second round was a toss up. Griffin was dominating the stand up and got that nasty kick to knock out Tito's mouth piece. Tito was still able to shrug it off and get the takedown. He did some major GnP from the full guard postition and was able to easily transition to half guard but never could get the mount. Forrest's sweep at the very end of the round probably won him the round with the judges, but I think that's bullshit. Ortiz landed the better of the shots and did more damage. The third round was just a 'what the fuck' round. Im not sure if Tito was gassed or the leg kicks and body shots over the course of the fight took the will out of him. IMO it was a 10-8 round Forrest. Tito did absolutely nothing. And gave one piss poor effort for a takedown. I had it as a draw, but I think Forrest winning was a fair call.

dallaskd
11-22-2009, 02:12 AM
Does Tito even practice his stand-up? It has to be the worse in the entire sport.

Ground and pound can still be a very effective tool to have in MMA, but it can no longer be your bread and butter. The sport has evolved to much. Just looked at Hughes, Coleman, Randelman. Same reason guys like Sherk and Ortiz will never be champs again unless they add more to their game. It's a process and is hard to do at an older age.

dbreiden83080
11-22-2009, 02:17 AM
Tito has always really had everything but great stand up. Great wrestling, great cardio, a great chin, his JJ is very under-rated, he has alway been a bitch to submit and he almost caught Machida in a triangle late in their fight. But he's never had anything in his hands, or great speed on the feet either..

And i was guilty of over-rating Forrest after the Page fight. He really has Pillow hands, if Tito was in there with a harder hitter he would have got KO'd in round 3. Forrest just can't hurt any elite fihgter on the feet, i've never seen him hurt someone who is not a B-Level can..

dallaskd
11-22-2009, 02:19 AM
Agreed. Forrest has no power in his hands. The punches in bunches bullshit will continue to get him no where fast. But he can sure work those kicks. I love Griffin to death but he will never be an elite, just a very solid gatekeeper.

dbreiden83080
11-22-2009, 02:27 AM
Forrest 2 best attributes are his Leg kicks and his cardio. He can set that pace for 15 or 25 min and not fade at all. He basically beat Page with leg kicks and cardio but like i said never came close to hurting him.

Dissapointed Tito lost, man he was close to taking that one :bang

LOL@MavsFan
11-22-2009, 02:34 AM
teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeto!

dbreiden83080
11-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Damn!!

good payday for Kos..

Sherdog

Josh Koscheck made out like a bandit.

Koscheck banked $140,000 in post-fight bonuses after he submitted Anthony Johnson with a second-round rear-naked choke in the co-main event at UFC 106 “Ortiz vs. Griffin 2” on Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The event drew 10,529 fans for a $3 million gate.

Koscheck, the polarizing 31-year-old American Kickboxing Academy standout, earned two $70,000 performance bonuses -- one for “Submission of the Night,” the other for “Fight of the Night.” Johnson, who submitted for the second time in his career, banked a $70,000 “Fight of the Night” bonus for his troubles. The talented Georgian -- who was docked a point for an illegal knee in the first round and survived a pair of eye pokes from Koscheck in the second -- held his own standing but looked overmatched when Koscheck brought him to the ground.

polandprzem
11-22-2009, 05:35 AM
Marcus Davis vs. Ben Saunders:

Saunders' thai clinch was nasty. Not many smaller guys at 170 can get out of a plum that strong and his legs are just so long. Looking foward to seeing him again. Maybe against Paulo Thiago?

It would be nice. Also vs Johnson it could be a good show

Paulo Thiago vs. Jacob Volkmann:

Im still not sure what to think about Thiago. The Koscheck knock out is still a little fluky in my mind. Sure he dominated but against Jacob Volkman.. really? The dudes nickname is "christmas" :lol Thiago did a good job moving Volkman against the cage and passing but I was impressed with how volkmann used to the cage and kept getting back to his feet. That cut had to have taken a lot of out him. Volkman is a great wrestler, but still has to add a lot to his game and we dont even know how good Thiago really is yet.

Yea, I got dissapointed by Thiago. I thought he will run through Volkmann. 1st R KO, but probably UFC wanted to test him against 'wrestler'. His fight against Fitch was great though (almost got a win)

Josh Koscheck vs. Anthony Johnson:

I agree Kos is more worthy of a title shot than Hardy. And make Hardy fight outside of the UK for once, fuck. Not sure if its a fair comparison but looked what happened to Bisping when he finally came out vs a legitmate opponent. Kos would fuck up hardy imo, unless he got careless and left himself open. Hardy is no more dangerous than Johnson. Johnson and Hardy would really be a better match-up really. Somebody would get knocked the fuck out. Hardy doesnt have the wrestling at all to even compete with GSP.

Well you wouldn't say that about Swick what you said about Hardy, but ok. Somebody must to fight GSP and Hardy is on a winning track and beat Swick (contender) fair and square. I do not know what fighting in US got to do with anything. octagon is the same in any arena.
Kos will get his chance. I would like to see him against Fitch. If Fitch gonna win his next fight they should scheudle Kos vs him for the title shot.

Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin:

I thought it was a 1st round Tito, second to Forest and third 10-8 ofcourse Forest.
That was a good show.

desflood
11-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Painkiller Addiction to Blame for Karo Pulling Out
by MicahW on Nov 20, 2009 10:59 AM EST 39 comments

Longtime friend and training partner of Karo's, Neil Melanson, has come out with Karo's permission and explained the reason for Karo pulling out of his UFC 106 fight with Dustin Hazelett.

"Karo’s had some problems with an addiction to pain medicine due to an injury he sustained a few years ago. Then when he started having these anxiety problems, it didn’t seem like the anxiety pills were helping him. The only thing that was helping him was the pain medication that he had been taking for his injuries. That’s when he just started down that slope. It’s just one of those situations where you have two guys that sit down to have a drink, and you have one guy that can go home and he’s fine, and the other guy has to go out and get wasted every single time because he’s an alcoholic. I think that maybe with the pills, that Karo is the second guy. Maybe he’s the guy that can’t take them here and there, or can’t use them effectively...

He told me that he was on pain medicine, but he wanted to get off. He had a plan and he was working his way to get off of it. About a month ago he was taking about half the amount that he usually does and he was pretty optimistic. He was really trying to push it. He was going through some withdrawals and he would try to push it as hard as he could to get off the stuff. He really had a plan to be off three weeks prior to the fight and he really wanted to clean up. He really wanted to do this right. It was really important to him and his family. I hadn’t spoken to him for just a little bit, and I guess he tried, but he couldn’t.

He contacted me and told me about the situation, and I said, ‘Look, just sleep on it and we’ll talk about it tomorrow’. I met with Greg Jackson and we had a little conversation about everything. From there I called Karo and I just told him, ‘Well you’re better off being honest now than piss testing and getting in trouble with the commission’. He did the right thing there and told them. He messed up, but people shouldn’t hate him for it. The guy has a legit problem right now. He did the right thing; he didn’t cheat, he didn’t lie, he didn’t do anything wrong. He just had a problem that he tried to overcome and he couldn’t do it. I think that everybody can sympathize with that. Karo has put on great shows in the past, and I think that he felt a lot of pressure to do that again...

dbreiden83080
11-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Why did he show up for the fight at all if he knew he would get busted in the post fight drug test?? Doesn't it take like a week for that stuff to clear out of your system? He pulled out on Thu night..

polandprzem
11-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Why did he show up for the fight at all if he knew he would get busted in the post fight drug test?? Doesn't it take like a week for that stuff to clear out of your system? He pulled out on Thu night..

He was drunk all week long and woke up Thursday

:drunk

TheTruth
11-22-2009, 12:07 PM
How was Tito/Forrest not the fight of the night. Not that I have a problem with some younger guys getting the money, but that was a GREAT fight Tito and Forrest put on.

dbreiden83080
11-22-2009, 12:12 PM
How was Tito/Forrest not the fight of the night. Not that I have a problem with some younger guys getting the money, but that was a GREAT fight Tito and Forrest put on.

I think you answered your own question there about the younger guys getting the money. Tito with his base and bonuses will likely make over a mil, Forrest has a good UFC deal as well..

dbreiden83080
11-22-2009, 12:24 PM
He was drunk all week long and woke up Thursday

:drunk

I think that is why Dana is not cutting him slack here. He should have called the UFC a few weeks out and pulled out of this thing, not shown up in no state to pass a drug test and tell them 48 HRS before the fight,

"i can't go"..

BlackSwordsMan
11-22-2009, 12:37 PM
wow didn't even know there was a ufc yesterday

dbreiden83080
11-22-2009, 12:54 PM

Seriously.. :lol

dbreiden83080
11-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Koscheck Twitter..

Looks like hardy vs GSP is a done deal! Gay if u ask me but my goal now is to fight any 1 who steps up to fight!! Maybe 12 fights n 2010?

angelbelow
11-22-2009, 09:15 PM

me neither :p:

The TroutBum
11-23-2009, 12:41 AM
That sucks for Karo, I've always liked him and his game. I hope he pulls it out and cleans up his mess, I really love watching his Judo.

Stringer_Bell
11-23-2009, 06:37 AM
Koscheck Twitter..

Looks like hardy vs GSP is a done deal! Gay if u ask me but my goal now is to fight any 1 who steps up to fight!! Maybe 12 fights n 2010?

Let's look at this year...Kos beats Johnson & Trigg, and loses by TKO to Paulo Thiago (who managed a decision on Volkmann's first fight in the UFC). Hardy beats Swick, Davis, & Markham (as well as Akhiro Gono the match before). I give him credit for taking fights on short notice, and improving his game since GSP beat him two years ago...but for real...he's being a bitch, and I hope all 12 of his 2010 fights end with an ACTUAL knee to his head.

He should just man up and say "any fight I take, no matter who it is, is a fight I'd have to take after I win the title so might as well send people down the ladder now." His shit is weak. /end rant

desflood
11-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Sherdog's UFC 106 Post-Mortem (yes, Evan, I realize that Sherdog is everything anti-UFC, but this raises some interesting points).

Monday, November 23, 2009
by Jake Rossen ([email protected])

If you believe Tito Ortiz’s post-fight confessional Saturday, it has become virtually impossible to defeat him without Ortiz starting the job himself. Cracked orbital, dislodged vertebrae, a washout training camp: one half-expected to see him wheeled out to the post-fight press conference in an iron lung.

In addition to obliterating his credibility, Ortiz’s admissions may have left some fans feeling downright defrauded: his main event with Forrest Griffin hinged on his claim that his back -- surgically repaired after years of problems -- was no longer an issue and he was in fine fighting form. (It was, it still is, and he was not.)

“I’ve been training pretty hard -- six days a week, eight hours a day -- and my body is at 100% with no more back problems,” he told AskMen.com this month, one of dozens of interviews repeating the same thing. In the fight, he looked rusty, tentative, and unable to counter Griffin’s gangling-frame attack. Some cutting elbows -- which caused Griffin to bleed impressively -- may have kept the fight from becoming a complete embarrassment for him.

There is now talk of Griffin and Ortiz coaching an eleventh season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” which sounds like something that should play in rotation in the seventh circle of hell. Aside from a strong first round by Ortiz in 2006 and some brief moments of positional control, Griffin has proved conclusively that he can out-scramble and out-strike this particular opponent. Enough already.

Next for Ortiz: A lesson explaining that post-fight bellyaching -- no matter how true -- only leaves you choking on sour grapes; maybe a fight with Rich Franklin.

Next for Griffin: Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, who looked sharp in his UFC debut against Luis Arthur Cane.

Next for Josh Koscheck: A rematch with Paulo Thiago, who worked over Jacob Volkmann Saturday.

Next for Amir Sadollah: Matt Brown or Ben Saunders; a mirror that lets him see what his barber has been doing to the back of his head.

Awards

The Mike Tyson Amateur Physician Award: Tito Ortiz, for declaring his training for Forrest Griffin was marred by a “fractured skull” and a “THX 1138 protruding vertebrae.” Or something.

The Mediator Award: Griffin, for attempting to use some of his crowd stroke by interrupting Ortiz’s oral gravedigging routine and telling fans that fighters get hurt training.

The Invitation-to-Re-Engineer Award: Mixed martial arts gloves, for allowing no less than four eye pokes during Saturday’s event. Virgin Atlantic is prepping sub-orbital civilian space flights by 2012 and we can’t find a glove that reduces the chances of corneal trauma?

The Broken-Record Award: Phil Baroni, for swearing yet again that he’d figured out his training woes and will use his opponent for target practice. You know the words by now: sing along next time.

New Questions

Can Tito Ortiz rally?

Ortiz looked flat and slow against Forrest Griffin, twelve years of ring wear and recurring spinal issues crumbling his offense into a fading carbon copy of what it once was. Naturally, he’ll try to convince fans that his next fight will be better, that he’s a new (or old) Ortiz, and that his performance will be well worth their $44.95. My advice: Inquire about refund terms before purchasing.

Does the UFC appreciate Josh Koscheck’s unsolicited opinion?

Fresh off an impressive victory over Anthony Johnson, Koscheck used his camera and microphone time to criticize Dan Hardy’s pending title shot. (And in saying Hardy “never fought anybody,” he may have bummed out training partner Mike Swick.) For a company with few options for Georges St. Pierre, Koscheck attempting to discredit Hardy may not have been preferable to some out-of-breath sponsor plugs.

How seriously should we take Ben Saunders?

He could’ve used a win against Swick last June, but Ben Saunders has exceeded expectations by showing some absolutely devastating Thai-clinch work against Brandon Wolff and a notoriously durable Marcus Davis. (Saunders understands how to use a long, rangy frame for maximum effect, a body/style marriage that not every fighter picks up on as well as he should.) He could be growing into a real problem at 170 -- assuming the Thai plum isn’t the only trick he’s worked out.

What’s motivating some of the UFC’s recent signing choices?

Despite being bounced from the promotion years ago, Frank Trigg, Phil Baroni, Caol Uno and Dennis Hallman have all been re-signed this year. Baroni and Trigg were obliterated: Uno collected a draw in his fight Saturday with Fabricio Camoes. If the idea is that each fight could conceivably see someone take a step closer to a title bid, none of these athletes are facing that direction; if the idea is to dull the shine on competing rosters by scooping up and then abusing talent, it’s working out nicely.

Etc.
A week after Manchester hosted over 16,000 fans, only 10,529 were seated in the Mandalay Bay Events Center for the event, calling into question Ortiz’s drawing power after an extended absence…Josh Koscheck and Anthony Johnson split a $140,000 Fight of the Night bonus salary; some believe that should’ve been signed over to Jacob Volkmann and Paulo Thiago. :tu Koschek/Johnson, while sloppier thanks to the repeated fouling, was more competitive and had more energy. Koscheck also collected $70,000 for Submission of the Night…Judge Lester Griffin took some post-fight criticism by UFC President Dana White following his 30-27 scorecard for Forrest Griffin. According to CompuStrike, Griffin landed twice as many strikes (100) as Ortiz in the bout. “Don’t leave it to the judges” is a nicely macho concept, but it ignores how incredibly tough and durable athletes at a high level can be. I don’t think MMA judges have done anything as heinous as boxing’s fiction writers ringside, but that day seems to be coming closer.

tlongII
11-23-2009, 10:44 AM
That sucks for Karo, I've always liked him and his game. I hope he pulls it out and cleans up his mess, I really love watching his Judo.

My brother was addicted to painkillers after a series of 3 surgeries over 2 or 3 years. It's a tough deal to beat.