PDA

View Full Version : Okafor?

MaNu4Tres
11-14-2009, 06:04 PM
I know it's early in the season but I had to ask this question ...

Looks like Hornets maybe ready to unload Okafor for expirings...

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/2009/11/kings-consideri.html

Bonner Mason Mahimni Finley for Okafor? Would you consider it?

lennyalderette
11-14-2009, 06:07 PM
thats a tough one!! im saying no because thats alot of our depth just for one guy

kbrury
11-14-2009, 06:08 PM
as a fan yes

if I was an owner/Gm no

tp2021
11-14-2009, 06:08 PM
NOH would NEVER trade with us, especially when we get the talent and they just save money.

MaNu4Tres
11-14-2009, 06:10 PM
NOH would NEVER trade with us, especially when we get the talent and they just save money.

If we threw in a 1st rounder along with our expirings New Orleans' owner would say yes. Maybe the GM wouldn't want to deal to us, but the owner down there in the NO has the ultimate say.

tp2021
11-14-2009, 06:11 PM
As far as both sides getting what they want out of a trade, this would definitely be one to explore.

Blackjack
11-14-2009, 06:12 PM
They're definitely a team I've had my eye on; ever since that Chandler debacle last year, their intentions have been pretty clear.

kbrury
11-14-2009, 06:12 PM
If we threw in a 1st rounder along with our expirings New Orleans' owner would say yes. Maybe the GM wouldn't want to deal to us, but the owner down there in the NO has the ultimate say.

also NO has 15 on the roster, I don't think they would want to cut 3 contracts.

DPG21920
11-14-2009, 06:14 PM
If NO was willing to do this, of course you do it. I know he has a long contract, but it is not the same situation as Jax. Okafor will still be very solid at the end of his contract. He would fill a huge need.

I don't know if the Spurs would take that on however. They still have to re-sign Ginobili and I cannot see the Hornets dealing anyone to the Spurs.

DPG21920
11-14-2009, 06:15 PM

Spurs 1st rounders are about as valuable as a second rounder. Spurs would probably have to throw in Splitter just to have a any kind of shot.

Blackjack
11-14-2009, 06:17 PM
What's West have left on his contract?

kbrury
11-14-2009, 06:19 PM
What's West have left on his contract?

he signed a 5 year 45 million extension which came in effect during the 07-08 season so I think 3 years 27 million. Interesting though

Muser
11-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Sure, doubt it'd happen though.

exstatic
11-14-2009, 06:22 PM
It depends if Holt's REALLY committed to fortifying the team for the remaining 3 years of Duncan's time, or if it's just for this year, and he was going to let these players all roll off.

If they really want to be in the elite talent group, they'll see if NO will bite on the endings plus a pick or two. Okafor is a real good rebounder and real good shotblocker who can even spell Tim in the offensive post for 10-15 minutes.

MaNu4Tres
11-14-2009, 06:24 PM
also NO has 15 on the roster, I don't think they would want to cut 3 contracts.

I just threw the idea out there but if you want to get technical, we can do that.

Spurs sends:

Bonner, Mason, Finley To New Orleans

New Orleans sends:

Okafor, Marks, Diogu To San Antonio

New Orleans' waive's Finley and Finley more than likely comes back to the Spurs after 30 days.

Spurs roster would look like:

Parker
Bogans
Jefferson
Duncan
Okafor

Hill
Manu
Hairston
McDyess
Blair
Ratliff
Finley ( After 30 days)

Inactive list: Marks, Haislip ,Diogu ( if he isn't waived)

New Orleans Roster:

Paul
Mason
Stojakovic
West
Armstrong

Bobby Brown
Posey
Wright
Bonner
Songailia
Peterson
Devin Brown

Inactive List: Collison, Thornton

MaNu4Tres
11-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Spurs 1st rounders are about as valuable as a second rounder. Spurs would probably have to throw in Splitter just to have a any kind of shot.

If the Kings are the one's mulling over this offer of Kenny Thomas for Okafor that says a lot on the New Orleans side. Obviously our expirings and a 1st round pick is better than Kenny Thomas. Just saying....

kbrury
11-14-2009, 06:26 PM
I just threw the idea out there but if you want to get technical, we can do that.

Spurs sends:

Bonner, Mason, Finley To New Orleans

New Orleans sends:

Okafor, Marks, Diogu To San Antonio

New Orleans' waive's Finley and Finley more than likely comes back to the Spurs after 30 days.

Spurs roster would look like:

Parker
Bogans
Jefferson
Duncan
Okafor

Hill
Manu
Hairston
McDyess
Blair
Ratliff
Finley ( After 30 days)

Inactive list: Marks, Haislip ,Diogu ( if he isn't waived)

New Orleans Roster:

Paul
Mason
Stojakovic
West
Armstrong

Bobby Brown
Posey
Wright
Bonner
Songailia
Peterson
Devin Brown

Inactive List: Collison, Thornton

I didn't try to get technical there I was just throwing my opinion on the trade out there.

MaNu4Tres
11-14-2009, 06:28 PM
If Holt is all about winning these next two years. You do this deal. IMO. Okafor's salary will be spent next summer anyway even after Manu's new contract.

The only question is... What will it take for Hornets to deal with us?

We can surely do better than Kenny Thomas

Muser
11-14-2009, 06:31 PM
If it lands us Okafor then i'd send Splitter in a heartbeat.

kbrury
11-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Holt is all about winning IMO though I don't think he will sign off on another major trade financially. He's dug in pretty deep this year I don't know how much further he'd be willing to go.

Chieflion
11-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Well, we give up all of our wing depth for Okafor while solving absolutely nothing for New Orleans when it comes to the Hornets' wing players. I don't see how any team benefits except for New Orleans saving money. Although Finley is coming back, we only have 5 players on the SG/SF spot and we also do not solve the back-up SF problem. The Spurs need some size for the SF spot and cannot rely on Finley to backup RJ if Pop is going for small ball 10 minutes a night. Someone like Martell Webster and Travis Outlaw would be perfect.

MaNu4Tres
11-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Well, we give up all of our wing depth for Okafor while solving absolutely nothing for New Orleans when it comes to the Hornets' wing players. I don't see how any team benefits except for New Orleans saving money. Although Finley is coming back, we only have 5 players on the SG/SF spot and we also do not solve the back-up SF problem. The Spurs need some size for the SF spot and cannot rely on Finley to backup RJ if Pop is going for small ball 10 minutes a night. Someone like Martell Webster and Travis Outlaw would be perfect.

We give up Mason....Not exactly all of our wing depth...

Manu Jefferson Bogans Finley Hairston Hill is by all means enough depth. IMO

DPG21920
11-14-2009, 06:39 PM
If the Kings are the one's mulling over this offer of Kenny Thomas for Okafor that says a lot on the New Orleans side. Obviously our expirings and a 1st round pick is better than Kenny Thomas. Just saying....

You don't know all of the details. There very well could be more to it.

kbrury
11-14-2009, 06:42 PM
I think the West contract is more interesting as Blackjack brought up though its very unlikely I guess.

Chieflion
11-14-2009, 06:43 PM
We give up Mason....Not exactly all of our wing depth...

Manu Jefferson Bogans Finley Hairston Hill is by all means enough depth. IMO
If only you are convinced Finley is still capable of playing in the NBA and that Hairston is capable of NBA minutes. I would usually be down for this but the Spurs would eat up 5 years of Okafor's big contract and I am not sure whether the Spurs front office would do this.

MaNu4Tres
11-14-2009, 06:43 PM
You don't know all of the details. There very well could be more to it.

True but obviously Kenny Thomas' expiring is the key piece.

Just for people who aren't aware of Okafor or what he brings to the table.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Emeka-Okafor-3810/

NBA Scouting Reports, Southeastern Division (Part 1)
May 6, 2008
Overview: A big, physical, athletic young post player who is starting to play a defined role. Not only strong enough to defend the post, but has the athleticism to step out and defend the midrange as well. Can take care of business on both ends. Something he showed at UCONN by winning the Big East Conference Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year Awards as a junior. Won the NCAA Championship with UCONN in 2004. Former second-overall selection has faced some injuries early in his career, but has overcome those setbacks to begin to fulfill his potential. Turned down a 55 million dollar extension offer in 2007, something he’s been criticized for considering his uneven production.

Offense: Gets almost half of his offense from post ups, with the rest coming from pick and rolls, cuts off the ball, and offensive rebounds. Loves to turn over his left shoulder, and does a good job of shielding the ball and finishing with contact. Shows a decent right handed hook, but needs to diversify his offensive game with fakes and shots with his left hand. Has nice form on his jumper, and has consistent range out to about thirteen feet. Will miss open looks from time to time, but has improved his touch considerably. Not turnover prone in the least. Extremely stingy with his dribble, and doesn’t put the ball on the floor unless he is going to get into position to score. Major offensive weakness is his free throw shooting. Has made some improvements on the offensive end, but is still fairly mechanical at times. His ability to maintain position and grab offensive rebounds makes him a valuable addition regardless of how many touches he gets in close. Not the most talented offensive player around, but is effective regardless.

Defense: Few players in the League play better post defense than he does. Uses his hands extremely well for a post player, and is the type of player than can change shots and create turnovers. Rebounding ability is exceptional. Gets loose balls outside of his area on a regular basis. A legitimate weak-side shot blocker. The leverage he uses on the defensive end, and the way he moves with his man’s fakes is special.

DPG21920
11-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Here is the salary info:

Player 2009/2010 2010/2011 2011/2012 2012/2013 2013/2014
Emeka Okafor $10,797,500 $11,795,000 $12,792,500 $13,790,000 15M

Also, Okafor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>West for the Spurs.

pjjrfan
11-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Right now they badly need a backup pt. guard with Paul out for 2 weeks. So they might look to pick up someone and drop one of their bench guys. Bobby Brown is a huge drop off from Paul.

kbrury
11-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Here is the salary info:

I know no doubt, just interesting.

TD 21
11-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Definitely not. Okafor is not the lengthy, athletic center the Spurs need. He's a good rebounder and a better shot blocker than McDyess, but his contract is bloated and he's not enough of an upgrade to deplete the wing depth and give away the three best 3-point shooters on a team that greatly values spacing the floor.

Chieflion
11-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Here is the salary info:

We are talking about a grand total of $28,790,000 for a post Tim Duncan era when Okafor will be 31 years old. Unless, you think Duncan will stay until 2014, no reason why the Spurs front office would set themselves up for total failure. If Okafor really does join the silver and black, the Spurs better hope that is a sign that Duncan will sign for two more years.

DPG21920
11-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Where are you coming up with 28M?

This year he is making 10.8M.

He has 11.8M + 12.8M + 13.8M + 14.8M = 53M left.

kbrury
11-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Kinda off topic but if these rumors are true and the Kings want to get rid of a large expiring contract for a long expensive one I wonder what the situation for Nocioni will be.

He's only playing 26 min a game and the spurs seem to be going small ball a lot, just an option I like but I don't think we need to strongly consider anything til the deadline.

MaNu4Tres
11-14-2009, 06:58 PM
We are talking about a grand total of $28,790,000 for a post Tim Duncan era when Okafor will be 31 years old. Unless, you think Duncan will stay until 2014, no reason why the Spurs front office would set themselves up for total failure. If Okafor really does join the silver and black, the Spurs better hope that is a sign that Duncan will sign for two more years.

Some fans don't realize San Antonio will never ever have another Tim Duncan. We are one of the few teams in the past decade to be fortunate enough to fill in our franchise post player salary with a player of Tim Duncan. The other being Shaquille O Neal. That salary will be filled one way or another after Duncan retires. Okafor at 31 could very will be the best the Spurs could do at that time.

Chieflion
11-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Where are you coming up with 28M?

This year he is making 10.8M.

He has 11.8M + 12.8M + 13.8M + 14.8M = 53M left.
2013 + 2014 gives you 28 million. That is post Tim Duncan era with the new CBA, another thing to be concerned about.

ffadicted
11-14-2009, 07:03 PM
NO Gets: Rights to Splitter, Mason, Finley, Bonner, Draft Pick.
Spurs Get: Okafor, spares

I don't see how SA would turn away from that, it would make our front court scary. Our wing depth would take a hit, but if we could get Finley back and get Hairston to produce, we'd lose almost nothing.

As many in this thread said though, there's no way NO deals with us.

DPG21920
11-14-2009, 07:05 PM
2013 + 2014 gives you 28 million. That is post Tim Duncan era with the new CBA, another thing to be concerned about.

I see. Just speaking only about post Duncan.

Chieflion
11-14-2009, 07:07 PM
I see. Just speaking only about post Duncan.
I agree the 1st 2 years look good, if only his contract ends 2011, then we might have something to talk about.

DPG21920
11-14-2009, 07:10 PM
I don't mind his contract. He is over paid, but he is very solid.

JustinJDW
11-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Way too early to consider trades yet. We don't know how bad or good we are yet.

Chieflion
11-14-2009, 07:17 PM
See Iverson for Billups 4 games into last season.

MaNu4Tres
11-14-2009, 07:18 PM
I don't mind his contract. He is over paid, but he is very solid.

Ditto

Worse case scenario if for some reason his salary becomes too much in 2012 or so the option to trade him is always there.

The option was there for Rasho.

MaNu4Tres
11-14-2009, 07:21 PM

But we do know we have been missing a starting caliber defensive post player other than Duncan to defend the rim for the past 3-4 years.

We will need more length to beat the Lakers. IMO

kbrury
11-14-2009, 07:22 PM
See Iverson for Billups 4 games into last season.

Still way too early, its not like we have a cancer on the team.

kbrury
11-14-2009, 07:24 PM

Not counting the cancer popovich had removed lol :downspin:

Chieflion
11-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Iverson was not a cancer in Denver. He was a player dedicated to winning and did not fit the team's plan. Then, he got dumped so that the Pistons could rebuild. Michael Curry, coach of the Pistons, fucked up by placing him on the bench over Rodney Stuckey. Tells you how much Iverson felt wasted over there.

kbrury
11-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Iverson was not a cancer in Denver. He was a player dedicated to winning and did not fit the team's plan. Then, he got dumped so that the Pistons could rebuild. Michael Curry, coach of the Pistons, fucked up by placing him on the bench over Rodney Stuckey. Tells you how much Iverson felt wasted over there.

okay he was just a benign tumor.

DPG21920
11-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Paul could miss three weeks or a month
By Adrian Wojnarowski

After further evaluation on Saturday, New Orleans Hornets point guard Chris Paul is expected to be on crutches for two weeks and could miss three weeks to a month with a severely sprained left ankle, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

There was no structural damage found in an MRI administered on Saturday, but the severity of the sprain pushed back the original belief on Friday night that Paul could return within one to two weeks.

“It’s just really sore right now,” a source said.

Nevertheless, Paul is hopeful that aggressive treatment and sheer determination can speed up the timetable and get him back to the Hornets as quickly as possible. The Hornets are 3-7, and must now turn to rookie point guard Darren Collison and third-string Bobby Brown. The Hornets traveled to Atlanta for a game on Saturday night.

“Even with the bad situation, his attitude is not “Why bother?” one source said. “It’s his team and he knows that. He doesn’t want to let anyone down. He’s determined to get back as fast as he can.”

Paul injured the ankle when he appeared to land on Blazers center Joel Przybilla in the third quarter. After clutching his ankle in pain, Paul was eventually helped off the court and to the locker room by his teammates.

Paul’s injury was the latest setback for the Hornets, who fired Byron Scott as coach on Thursday and replaced him with general manager Jeff Bower. Paul had grown close to Scott and was upset by his dismissal.

As I wrote in another thread, if CP3 is actually out for a month, they have no shot at the playoffs. They will not pay tax if they have no shot at winning and will look to move someone more than likely.

draft87
11-14-2009, 07:32 PM
as a fan yes

if I was an owner/Gm no

I think it's really cool and respectable that you differentiated your responses fanatically and 'realistically'

I wish more people would accept the difference and be honest with themselves(and the rest of ST)

HarlemHeat37
11-14-2009, 07:36 PM
I've mentioned both Okafor and Chandler in trades I would love the past few weeks, but I don't believe Holt would take on either of those contract..if ownership is willing to take the contracts, it's obviously a no-brainer..

I agree with Manu4Tres that we're going to need another legit big man to beat the Lakers in a 7-game series, so this is going to be an issue until the deadline..Okafor will be traded well before the deadline IMO, so it's interesting to talk about it right now..

Okafor is a very strong post defender and a very good shot blocker..finishes well at the rim..he would fit in perfectly here, and he would complete our team..the depth isn't an issue at all, even if Finley doesn't return..Hairston is definitely capable enough to be a backup wing IMO, and this would complete our re-tooling from a defensive standpoint..

I doubt it happens, but I'm hoping..

exstatic
11-14-2009, 07:39 PM

Iverson is only dedicated to Iverson. He did well in Denver because he was never asked to sacrifice for the team. He could do what he wanted. Any time he CAN'T do what he wants in terms of touches or shots, he throws a fucking shit fit and leaves the team.

kbrury
11-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Come on Valero buy the Spurs! Totally agree with HH's take.

Chieflion
11-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Iverson is only dedicated to Iverson. He did well in Denver because he was never asked to sacrifice for the team. He could do what he wanted. Any time he CAN'T do what he wants in terms of touches or shots, he throws a fucking shit fit and leaves the team.
He only did that in Detroit and Memphis. No one knows what came over him, but he did not quit on the team in Detroit. The team quit on him and showed complete disinterest with winning and were preparing for a complete rebuild. Rasheed Wallace was chucking threes, Rip felt pissed Billups left and all hell broke loose.

Blackjack
11-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Here is the salary info:

I'm all for Okafor if you can get him in a Jefferson-esque salary dump, but you're crazy if you don't think a Duncan/West tandem wouldn't be killer for the Spurs; that's from a purely basketball-standpoint.

West is along the lines of 'Dyess defensively in the post and he might be the best post-player in the league off the dribble. He stretches the defense so that you can keep the middle open but he's solid in the post; he gets to the line and he makes his free-throws; he's a solid rebounder and he would take significant pressure off of Tim offensively -- not to mention he'd be a hell of a compliment to Tony and RJ.

There's a knucklehead factor that you'd have to consider (which is maybe why you think Okafor >>>>>>>>>>>> West) and the contract is definitely a concern, but if you paired Duncan and West against the Lakers? :wow

DPG21920
11-14-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm all for Okafor if you can get him in a Jefferson-esque salary dump, but you're crazy if you don't think a Duncan/West tandem wouldn't be killer for the Spurs; that's from a purely basketball-standpoint.

West is along the lines of 'Dyess defensively in the post and he might be the best post-player in the league off the dribble. He stretches the defense so that you can keep the middle open but he's solid in the post; he gets to the line and he makes his free-throws; he's a solid rebounder and he would take significant pressure off of Tim offensively -- not to mention he'd be a hell of a compliment to Tony and RJ.

There's a knucklehead factor that you'd have to consider (which is maybe why you think Okafor >>>>>>>>>>>> West) and the contract is definitely a concern, but if you paired Duncan and West against the Lakers? :wow

He is not a great rebounder, but solid. Having him and Dice would be redundant offensively. Dice spaces the floor just as well with his jumper. He does not get to the line like West, but he is a better rebounder. I completely disagree that West is any where close to Dice defensively in the post or anywhere for that matter. David West is a poor defender for the most part (whether that is an effort thing or ability thing).

I think Okafor is better in the post than West (something the Spurs need), he is certainly a better post defender and would add something completely different to the team. This is the main reason I think Okafor is better for the Spurs. If McDyess could not spread the floor, then maybe West would be better, but Dice's mid-range game has been automatic, even if he can't create for himself as good as West.

ss1986v2
11-14-2009, 08:40 PM
i really cant see the hornets selling okafor off for simple expirings. just seems like such an odd move. im guessing more fabrication than rumor.

but if its true, from a basketball standpoint, you would be stupid to not put together a package for him. hes still a relatively young big who has some talents on both ends of the court.

that said, every other contender would also be putting together a package for him. so please, before we get anymore fan proposals, ask yourself if someone like cleveland or dallas or someone else could put together a better package than you are suggesting. if so, go back to the drawing board and try again.

HarlemHeat37
11-14-2009, 08:43 PM

tp2021
11-14-2009, 08:44 PM
If only you are convinced Finley is still capable of playing in the NBA and that Hairston is capable of NBA minutes. I would usually be down for this but the Spurs would eat up 5 years of Okafor's big contract and I am not sure whether the Spurs front office would do this.

If nothing else, the Spurs could trade him after Tim retires. That would give him 2 years left on the contract, which isn't too long for a team in need of a difference-making bigman in the post-Duncan era of the NBA.

45 bank shot
11-14-2009, 09:01 PM
there we go get some easy looks

tp2021
11-14-2009, 09:02 PM
there we go get some easy looks

Sweet

Blackjack
11-14-2009, 10:03 PM
He is not a great rebounder, but solid. Having him and Dice would be redundant offensively. Dice spaces the floor just as well with his jumper. He does not get to the line like West, but he is a better rebounder. I completely disagree that West is any where close to Dice defensively in the post or anywhere for that matter. David West is a poor defender for the most part (whether that is an effort thing or ability thing).

I Okafor is better in the post than West (something the Spurs need), he is certainly a better post defender and would add something completely different to the team.

I don't think West brings the consistency defensively in the post during the course of the season like 'Dyess but I've seen enough of him when his competitive juices are flowin' in the postseason to know he's more than capable; 'Dyess' post defense is probably over-rated on this board and West isn't given enough credit.

And I don't think you look at West and 'Dyess as an either/or. 'Dyess is 35 and would be better suited coming off the bench like he did in Detroit. You can limit his minutes and make sure he's fresh when it really counts.

As for a comparison between Okafor and West in the post offensively, I'd like West's game more alongside Duncan than Okafor's. West is a more skilled and fluid offensive player as opposed to the more methodical Okafor; similar to Tim and dubbed I-Robot because of it. I think the offense would run a lot more efficiently with West. Tim and Oak would lead to the ball sticking more and probably a higher turnover-rate, while Tim and West gives you the ability to post both players and keep the lane open for the slashers.

Defensively, at least in the half court, there's no comparison between the two. Okafor's one of the most under-rated front-court defenders in the league. Their rebounding would be dominant on both ends and the rim-protection would be unreal; as long as Tim and Oak were capable of negating any speed disadvantage they'd have against quicker lineups.

Like I said before, if Oak's the one available and you can acquire him for what's been mentioned, it'd be a no-brainer. I just disagree that a West-Duncan tandem wouldn't be a hell of a fit on the court.

Sorry it took so long. The game got in the way of my reply.:lol

redzero
11-14-2009, 10:20 PM
You Spurs fans are hilarious!

SenorSpur
11-14-2009, 10:37 PM
If the Hornets are seriously considering a trade, if they're smart, they would unload David West to Sac-Town for Kenny Thomas.

Why would they dump Okafor so very early into his new stint with the team? Unless, of course, it has become obvious that he doesn't work for that team. If the Hornets do deal Okafor, they will be admitting something that most of us already know - getting rid of Tyson Chandler, who was CP3's best alley-oop running mate, made absolutely no sense in the first place.

redzero
11-14-2009, 10:41 PM
If the Hornets are seriously considering a trade, if they're smart, they would unload David West to Sac-Town for Kenny Thomas.

Why would they dump Okafor so very early into his new stint with the team? Unless, of course, it has become obvious that he doesn't work for that team. If the Hornets do deal Okafor, they will be admitting something that most of us already know - getting rid of Tyson Chandler, who was CP3's best alley-oop running mate, made absolutely no sense in the first place.

I agree with the West part. However, getting rid of Chandler is not generally considered a bad move.

SenorSpur
11-14-2009, 10:50 PM
I agree with the West part. However, getting rid of Chandler is not generally considered a bad move.

Well, considering how the Hornets aren't getting any point production out of the 2/3 spot and how they're still having to work so very hard for any semblance of offense, they could've continued milking their bread-n-butter: the pick-n-roll. Having Chandler would've greatly helped that. Okafor is more of a pick-n-pop, kind of player. Just sayin'

BRHornet45
11-15-2009, 10:56 AM
unload West, keep Okafor

DPG21920
11-15-2009, 12:09 PM
I don't think West brings the consistency defensively in the post during the course of the season like 'Dyess but I've seen enough of him when his competitive juices are flowin' in the postseason to know he's more than capable; 'Dyess' post defense is probably over-rated on this board and West isn't given enough credit.

And I don't think you look at West and 'Dyess as an either/or. 'Dyess is 35 and would be better suited coming off the bench like he did in Detroit. You can limit his minutes and make sure he's fresh when it really counts.

As for a comparison between Okafor and West in the post offensively, I'd like West's game more alongside Duncan than Okafor's. West is a more skilled and fluid offensive player as opposed to the more methodical Okafor; similar to Tim and dubbed I-Robot because of it. I think the offense would run a lot more efficiently with West. Tim and Oak would lead to the ball sticking more and probably a higher turnover-rate, while Tim and West gives you the ability to post both players and keep the lane open for the slashers.

Defensively, at least in the half court, there's no comparison between the two. Okafor's one of the most under-rated front-court defenders in the league. Their rebounding would be dominant on both ends and the rim-protection would be unreal; as long as Tim and Oak were capable of negating any speed disadvantage they'd have against quicker lineups.

Like I said before, if Oak's the one available and you can acquire him for what's been mentioned, it'd be a no-brainer. I just disagree that a West-Duncan tandem wouldn't be a hell of a fit on the court.

Sorry it took so long. The game got in the way of my reply.:lol

I agree to a certain extent and I was not trying to say Okafor >>>>>>>>>>>>West for the Spurs because Okafor is that much better. It was based of what I perceive to be the Spurs biggest need: interior defense.

West would fit nice, but I just disagree about his defense, even when motivated. That seems to be the disconnect. At this point, the reason I said Okafor>>>>>West for the Spurs, is strictly for the defensive side of the equation.

kobyz
11-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Bonner, Mason, Finley for Okafor, Devin Brown
*Finley come back after 30 days
Roster:
Parker/Hill/Devin Brown
Bogans/Manu/Hairston
Jefferson/Finley/Haislip
Duncan/Blair/Mahinmi
Okafor/McDyess/Ratliff

Darkwaters
11-15-2009, 02:34 PM

I love David West, but some of these comments are just not true.

West has struggled as a rebounder for years. Hes definitely not "solid" but more likely simply "acceptable" as a rebounder. Hardly anything to write home about.

West plays matador defense these days. He has a definite mean streak and degree of physicality to his game...when he wants it. But I haven't seen him that motivated in a while.

His offense is quite simply sensational though. He can really do some good things on that end of the floor. But we have a lot of guys that can take and make shots now. I'd like to get a guy like Richard Jefferson more involved in the offense and bring in a defensive anchor like Okafor first.

Blackjack
11-15-2009, 02:44 PM
I agree to a certain extent and I was not trying to say Okafor >>>>>>>>>>>>West for the Spurs because Okafor is that much better. It was based of what I perceive to be the Spurs biggest need: interior defense.

West would fit nice, but I just disagree about his defense, even when motivated. That seems to be the disconnect. At this point, the reason I said Okafor>>>>>West for the Spurs, is strictly for the defensive side of the equation.

I understand where you're coming from and I wasn't trying to imply West was some kind of potential All-Defensive Team member; just that he's a strong guy, who moves his feet well, and has a good competitive-fire that makes him more than capable.

The thing I worry about with Oak though is, I wonder if at this day and time you could get by consistently playing him alongside Tim. Tim's mobility isn't what it used to be and neither of them are guys you want straying from the basket. With the way the league is now, and if you're going to play with two shot-blockers, their skills have to either really mesh offensively to exploit the opponent or defensively to shutdown the opponent. Plus, the twin-tower look the Spurs modeled their first championship formula after didn't have to deal with the ridiculous rules changes defensively and were able to play a low-point ground-it-out affair because of it; those days are long and gone with the athleticism you now see in front court's across the league and the hand-checking rules on the perimeter.

And that's to say nothing of the personnel the Spurs have on this team. Maybe you solve the rim-protecting problem but you could be giving yourself a whole new set of problems offensively with the congestion in the paint; hard to have a score-first point guard, without a 3-point shot, that lives in the paint and a slashing 3-man in RJ thrive that way.. and that's to say nothing of Manu who's at heart a slasher himself.

The dual shot-blocker threat would be great; it's just got to be the right fit for the personnel and times we're currently in.

portnoy1
11-15-2009, 05:47 PM
he signed a 5 year 45 million extension which came in effect during the 07-08 season so I think 3 years 27 million. Interesting though
I want nothing to do with DWest being a spur. He is good cause of Cp3 just like RJ was good with JKidd. He is also a cheapshot and a hothead.

Darkwaters
11-15-2009, 06:03 PM
As far as the Okafor trade idea...I'm all in. I think it would be a fabulous idea. I don't like the potential inclusion of Splitter as an idea...but if Okafor is on this team I don't know how interested he'd be anyways with virtually no chance of starting. Still, a frontcourt of Duncan/Okafor/McDyess/Blair would be amazing.

portnoy1
11-15-2009, 06:08 PM
I really dont care who we get. As long as the constant layup drill by opponents stop. Even when Oberto was here as the 2nd bigman with Tim, teams didnt get layups allday. He couldnt block shots but he was in position to take a charge or to alter driving lanes by just being present. Now guys are breaking us down 1 on 1 and getting to the cup. Even Tim is getting taken to school more often. We need another big guy, but after that its up to the team defense concept to make us the defensive force we were a few seasons ago.

angelbelow
11-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Interesting.. if all it took were expiring contracts then hell yea.

murpjf88
11-15-2009, 06:25 PM
This isn't happening WAKE UP!

DPG21920
11-15-2009, 06:25 PM
I understand where you're coming from and I wasn't trying to imply West was some kind of potential All-Defensive Team member; just that he's a strong guy, who moves his feet well, and has a good competitive-fire that makes him more than capable.

The thing I worry about with Oak though is, I wonder if at this day and time you could get by consistently playing him alongside Tim. Tim's mobility isn't what it used to be and neither of them are guys you want straying from the basket. With the way the league is now, and if you're going to play with two shot-blockers, their skills have to either really mesh offensively to exploit the opponent or defensively to shutdown the opponent. Plus, the twin-tower look the Spurs modeled their first championship formula after didn't have to deal with the ridiculous rules changes defensively and were able to play a low-point ground-it-out affair because of it; those days are long and gone with the athleticism you now see in front court's across the league and the hand-checking rules on the perimeter.

And that's to say nothing of the personnel the Spurs have on this team. Maybe you solve the rim-protecting problem but you could be giving yourself a whole new set of problems offensively with the congestion in the paint; hard to have a score-first point guard, without a 3-point shot, that lives in the paint and a slashing 3-man in RJ thrive that way.. and that's to say nothing of Manu who's at heart a slasher himself.

The dual shot-blocker threat would be great; it's just got to be the right fit for the personnel and times we're currently in.

So you are saying that the Spurs need someone who can turn the interior defense around while at the same time make room for TP and RJ and Gino to slash? Where is that dude at :lol?

Just give and take, but I see your point.

Blackjack
11-15-2009, 09:04 PM
So you are saying that the Spurs need someone who can turn the interior defense around while at the same time make room for TP and RJ and Gino to slash? Where is that dude at :lol?

Just give and take, but I see your point.

There's obviously no perfect, obtainable solution that gives you the rim-protection, offensive spacing, and mobility on the perimeter defensively you'd love to have, so you've got to assess and prioritize what you can address.

I really don't have much of a problem with Oak's contract considering how solid and dependable he's been, which is a little surprising given the back issues, but I could see there being some problems being able to play he and Duncan together given the league's landscape and the Spurs' personnel; which might make the acquiring of a lesser, cheaper player to fill a similar role a better option. Someone along the lines of Tyrus Thomas who's more of a weakside shot-blocker and has the mobility on the perimeter would be a much better fit next to Tim at this stage of his career. I don't see how the Spurs could get their hands on Tyrus but I'm just throwing it out there as an example.

Although I was happy with the 'Dyess signing, I was a big proponent of 'Sheed because of his ability to kill two birds with one stone. He's not the shot-blocker he could be, but he's still one of the best post-defenders in the league and brings the ideal length and offensive skill set for the personnel the Spurs offer. The Spurs don't necessarily need a shot-blocker per se, just solid length that can help prevent players from getting to and finishing at the rim; you actually don't even need the length as much as strength, intelligence, and good feet to get the job done. (i.e. Hayes of today and Thomas a while back) It's just even harder to find those type of players than it is to find a decent 6-10+ guy. They can't just have the ability and know-how, they've got to have the respect of the official as well.

Someone like West doesn't bring you the rim-protection you'd hope or a dominate rebounder but he does make you a hell of a lot more potent offensively and puts the opposing frontline on their heals; a Bynum or Gasol would be forced to leave the paint to get to that 17-footer, similar to what Krstic posed to Tim last night, and they wouldn't be allowed to just focus on the offensive end; foul-trouble actually enters the equation. He's got the tools and body to make people shoot over the top, I don't believe he'd be the perceived sieve with the Spurs' coaching and system, which leads me to believe he'd be a net positive all things considered; West isn't the only option for the offensive scenario, he's just the topic of conversation at the moment.

Given the age of this team and the questionable health, I'm really looking at this in a more short-term view than I would otherwise; Oak makes a hell of a lot of sense long-term with Tim on his way out. I just don't see the same kind of capatability in Duncan-Okafor that I do in Gasol-Bynum and I question whether the Spurs' perimeter can thrive the way it needs to with them on the court together.

I don't pretend to know for sure, which is why I'd OK this trade in a heartbeat if the Spurs thought it represented the only chance of bringing home another title, I'm just not sold on this being the route to go..

DPG21920
11-15-2009, 09:20 PM
I agree with all of that. I would much rather a low cost option comes along. Okafor, for the reasons you mentioned would not be a perfect fit, and for that money, you would hope he was.

I don't know who will become available but I would rather grab a defensive guy and worry about the offensive benefit later.

FeZZy
11-15-2009, 11:36 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14353

Okafor on the Move Again?

Trade rumors should always be taken with a grain a salt, but the one Sam Amick of the Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/2009/11/kings-consideri.html?mi_rss=Kings%20Blog%20and%20Q&A) suggests the Hornets are considering certainly raises a few questions. The deal, according to his source, would send Okafor to the Kings in exchange for the expiring contract of Kenny Thomas. Obviously, New Orleans would make the move to free up cap space in what already looks like a season lost. But what's in it for Sacramento? And what would this move say about the state of the Hornets?

For Sacramento's part, they're supposed to be nursing along Jason Thompson and Spencer Hayes as their frontcourt of the future, not bringing in a reasonably established veteran who will command big minutes and take away from one or both of those two players' floor time. Okafor is, without question, an upgrade over Hawes at the center position, but such a move wouldn't come anywhere near enough to push the Kings back to credibility. Perhaps Sacramento management would feel it was a promising start—a step in the right direction. To get Okafor out of Thomas is a value, even if the money owed the Hornets' starting center would be considerable for the next few years.

As far as New Orleans in concerned, just a small way into the season and the Okafor gamble doesn't seem to be paying off just yet. It was widely assumed all summer that the Hornets would want to shed salary, not take more on, but the trade that sent away Tyson Chandler and returned Okafor obligated them to several more million dollars worth of payroll in the long-term. It was a statement that they're willing to spend money to win, despite what the common perception might be.

But now, if such a trade were to be consummated, the statement is just the opposite. It would be admitting that spending money to win was a mistake, and with Chris Paul already unhappy one has to wonder if that's the best strategy towards keeping the star point guard with the team that drafted him. He has a player option in 2012 that, if things aren't much different in a couple of years, he could exercise. Ever so suddenly, the future of the Hornets doesn't look quite as bright as it did two seasons ago, and a trade like this would be a concession suggesting the organization feels the same way.