PDA

View Full Version : Jennings just took over

Darthkiller
11-14-2009, 10:16 PM
scored 20 points in a row with perfect shooting. 30 points in 20 min. also with some sweet dishing to bogut.

Lp26
11-14-2009, 10:18 PM
He is just disgusting

The Bucks now have their franchise player

edited to add;

37 pts in 27 minutes and it's been 3 quarters

portpower_11
11-14-2009, 10:18 PM
He is amazing

29 pts and 2 assissts in 11 minutes

Indazone
11-14-2009, 10:21 PM
So there actually was some validity to all that bellyaching he did in Italy?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Now 42 points, dam.

Indazone
11-14-2009, 10:23 PM
I guess Brandon Jennings is the real deal

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Lol just 39 Yahoo fucked that up.

redzero
11-14-2009, 10:36 PM
The Lakers should try to trade Kobe for Jennings and some scraps.

iggypop123
11-14-2009, 10:46 PM
damn wonder what happens to them when they get redd back

jmanu20
11-14-2009, 10:50 PM
48 points, 2:17 left.

td4mvp21
11-14-2009, 10:50 PM
50 points!! What's the record for a rookie?

Allanon
11-14-2009, 10:51 PM
WTF 50 points for Jennings?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
50!!

Pistons < Spurs
crazy.

redzero
11-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Goddamn! Paul for Jennings and some scrubs. Please!

Pistons < Spurs
11-14-2009, 10:53 PM

Allanon
11-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Absolutely amazing performance.

iggypop123
11-14-2009, 10:55 PM
it must be a dream come true to play against golden state

iggypop123
11-14-2009, 10:58 PM
is a choke coming?

Pistons < Spurs
11-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Jennings going to the line

Pistons < Spurs
11-14-2009, 10:59 PM

Incredible.

And just as incredible, the Bucks are now 5-2

Chieflion
11-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Make that 55. Jennings surpassed Kareem for the Bucks rookie record.

iggypop123
11-14-2009, 11:02 PM
5's all around

Medvedenko
11-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Very impressive. How's his defense though :) Not to take anything away from him. Is this an AI rookie year like performance...need to see the highlights.

iggypop123
11-14-2009, 11:07 PM
wow and he was scoreless the first quarter too

mVp
11-14-2009, 11:19 PM
Damn!

ImmortalD24
11-14-2009, 11:20 PM
He's legit.

Ice009
11-14-2009, 11:23 PM
When you have got a player like Jennings and he has to play against zone defenses over in Europe then it's highly possible he starts shredding the man to man coverage when he comes over to the NBA. Wow. I will have to watch this game on International League Pass Broadband.

What a beast.

Austin_Toros
11-14-2009, 11:58 PM
last time i remember a rookie scoring big was villanueva when he scored something like 48 points. i think iverson had a massive game as a rookie... anybody know if jennings topped him?

Darthkiller
11-15-2009, 12:05 AM
last time i remember a rookie scoring big was villanueva when he scored something like 48 points. i think iverson had a massive game as a rookie... anybody know if jennings topped him?

highest rookie scoring was Wilt with 58, jennings had 55 and yes he topped Jordan and AI. (could had surpassed it if the bucks passed to jennings instead of ridnour and bell when the warriors are using fouls).

Ice009
11-15-2009, 12:09 AM
highest rookie scoring was Wilt with 58, jennings had 55 and yes he topped Jordan and AI. (could had surpassed it if the bucks passed to jennings instead of ridnour and bell when the warriors are using fouls).

I thought that Wilt might have been the only one that topped that. Also, did any of those guys do it in under 10 games?

Danny.Zhu
11-15-2009, 12:11 AM
That was so sick. I was told he just broke Lebron's record for the youngest to reach 50 point.

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-15-2009, 12:12 AM
holy crap i wished i have seen the game instead of the....ah... fcuk

ffadicted
11-15-2009, 01:00 AM
2 points away from franchise record. Dayum, hope having Redd back doesn't take too much away from the kid's development.

mattb_25
11-15-2009, 01:04 AM
I wouldn't doubt if they tried to trade redd if he stops the devolpment of Jennings... HE's a beast worth trading an injury prone guy for if it means he gets more experience, after all he is going to be their franchise player after this game...

sook
11-15-2009, 01:11 AM
I'm not in awe yet...

I'm still at the point of...wtf are you seriously shitting me????

Brandon Jennings, who i was so sure would be a bust?

duncan228
11-15-2009, 01:22 AM
When It Comes To Brandon Jennings, The Hype Meter Just Got Cranked Up To 11 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-whenitcomestobrandon&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

So it’s not a fluke. This Brandon Jennings fella can play. Let’s get ready to go overboard here. You couldn’t possibly have been in the Bradley Center here on Saturday and not felt that you were seeing something utterly different.

Jennings is not just working on becoming a very good player, a solid rookie in a very solid rookie class. He is rising above all that. He’s becoming a star. Rookie of the Year? Pshaw. We may soon be thinking of him as a possible All-Star.

If his numbers through the first six games of the season weren’t evidence enough—he averaged 20.7 points, 5.2 assists and 4.3 rebounds—what he did to the Warriors on Saturday night should pretty much solidify the kid’s status. He shook off a 4-for-13 first half (10 points) to light up Golden State for 29 points in the third quarter, the most points a player has ever scored against the Warriors in a quarter.

He finished with 55 points, using that 12-for-13 third quarter to vault the Bucks to a come-from-behind win. The 55 are a rookie franchise record, beating the old mark of 51 held by Lew Alcindor. They also are the most points scored by an NBA rookie since Earl Monroe in 1968.

"I was standing there in perfect offensive rebounding position every time," center Andrew Bogut said. "But they kept going through the net."

Jennings, of course, sent a minor shockwave through basketball by skipping out on a commitment to Arizona and instead playing pro ball in Italy last year, then joining the draft in 2009. He put up pedestrian numbers in Italy, struggling to earn playing time among the Euro pros, and in doing so managed to slip to No. 10 in the draft. He wasn’t even sure he was going to go that high—remember, he declined to go to the green room at Madison Square Garden on draft night because he wasn’t sure where he’d land and he did not want to wind up on camera as teams passed over him.

There will be much made of Jennings’ path to the NBA, and whether other players can thrive the way he has by going overseas. But that’s not really the point. Fact is, Jennings is unique, his game is uniquely styled to thrive in the NBA. "I learned a lot by playing overseas," Jennings said. "But here, there is a little more one-on-one, I can do the things I do better."

And it’s clear that the Bucks will reap the rewards of the things Jennings can do, for a long time. He has proven to be a much better shooter than scouts thought, and his ability to run a team is comparable to that of a 10-year veteran. The Bucks are 5-2 now, currently holding the No. 4 slot in the East. Jennings still considers himself a point guard before a scorer, and coach Scott Skiles was quick to point out that, even in Jennings’ unconscious third quarter, Jennings was still just doing his job. "He wasn’t forcing anything, even considering he is a rookie," Skiles said. "It’s hard to say this when he has 29 points in a quarter, but it’s not him being greedy. He was just playing basketball out there."

Jennings is still a rookie, and it’s pretty clear that he has seized the lead—with emphasis—in the Rookie of the Year race. Sure, it is early, and Jennings seems more aware of that than the giddy media and teammates who have been covering him. When I brought up to him after the game that he had passed Lew Alcindor, that his 55 points put him in the rookie company of the likes of Wilt Chamberlain and Michael Jordan, he quickly shook his head and said, "I am not trying to get any individual accomplishments here. I am just trying to help the Bucks win games."

Still, Jennings said something else after the game that has to make you think this guy is going to be different. When he was talking about the roll he has been on, not just in Saturday’s game but in the first three weeks of the season in general, Jennings brought up high school. "Sometimes it feels like Oak Hill (Academy) out there," he said.

For Jennings, the NBA is already akin to high school. Rookie dominance seems assured. Stardom is the next stop.

usdane
11-15-2009, 02:03 AM
That's it he is on my All-Star ballot :wow

Got him Mitch.

Allanon
11-15-2009, 02:07 AM
Brandon Jennings, who i was so sure would be a bust?

With Jennings, it was always Bust or Star. He had the highest natural scoring talent ceiling of all the rookies but he had a shooting guard's skill in a PG body.

Looks to me like Iverson 2.0 with a much better attitude.

duhoh
11-15-2009, 02:17 AM
in following AI's tradition, do we call this kid blowjob now?

angelbelow
11-15-2009, 02:46 AM
Impressive. And they got the win too.

Ice009
11-15-2009, 03:15 AM
I just watched the game on ILP Broadband and I gotta say Skiles is right. He was just playing out there. He wasn't looking to score all the time, he was just playing basketball. Great game from Jennings.

eisfeld
11-15-2009, 05:34 AM
Holy cow!
Impressive performance!

AussieFanKurt
11-15-2009, 05:49 AM
what a fucking freak
but warriors with typical non defensive strats

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-15-2009, 06:10 AM
Holy shit! I just watched it, and he is lightning quick with a sweet stroke. Amazing performance. When he was swaggering around pretending he owned the world during summer league I thought he might be over-rating himself, but he's proving me and every other doubter totally wrong. Also, he's not the trash-talking little wanker I thought he'd be - when he's on the court it's all about playing basketball. Here's to you, Brandon Jennings! :toast

PS Our man Bogut, who I've seen play about 4 times this year, has become a legit NBA centre. That lefty hook of his is money, he's getting on the boards and his defense has improved vastly. Go Drew!

Ice009
11-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Holy shit! I just watched it, and he is lightning quick with a sweet stroke. Amazing performance. When he was swaggering around pretending he owned the world during summer league I thought he might be over-rating himself, but he's proving me and every other doubter totally wrong. Also, he's not the trash-talking little wanker I thought he'd be - when he's on the court it's all about playing basketball. Here's to you, Brandon Jennings! :toast

PS Our man Bogut, who I've seen play about 4 times this year, has become a legit NBA centre. That lefty hook of his is money, he's getting on the boards and his defense has improved vastly. Go Drew!

LOL I know you get on Tim all the time for not using his left hand and then when I watched this game Bogut was hitting some amazing hooks with the left.

Yeah I expected Jennings to be trash talking, but he didn't even look too pleased with his own performance out there. He didn't trash talk at all. He didn't even get that excited with his own game until the end when his teammates tried to pump him up a little bit.

They said he can't shoot, but to me it looked like he had a pretty good shot.

Chieflion
11-15-2009, 08:23 AM
LOL I know you get on Tim all the time for not using his left hand and then when I watched this game Bogut was hitting some amazing hooks with the left.

Yeah I expected Jennings to be trash talking, but he didn't even look too pleased with his own performance out there. He didn't trash talk at all. He didn't even get that excited with his own game until the end when his teammates tried to pump him up a little bit.

They said he can't shoot, but he looked like he had a pretty good shot to me.
Jennings cannot shoot when he is on the move, he has stated he needed to get a good stop and solidify himself on the ground or something before he shoots. The Golden State Warriors allowed him to shoot 7/8 from three point range. Jennings has proven to be a stud. Only 3 rookies in league history have surpassed 55 points. Wilt did it twice.

58 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia vs. Detroit, at Bethlehem, Pa., January 25, 1960
58 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia at New York, February 21, 1960
57 - Rick Barry, San Francisco at New York, December 14, 1965
56 - Earl Monroe, Baltimore at Los Angeles, February 13, 1968 (OT)
If the Bucks got the ball to Jennings instead of Charlie Bell or Luke Ridnour, Jennings might have had a shot to break Wilt's record.
He is in rare company. For your information, Chris Paul's career high is 43 and Deron Williams' carrer high is 41, to compare point guards. Jennings is the complete package. Hell, he might even be the best point guard in the East already.

Kamnik
11-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Amazing! :O

boston.balla
11-15-2009, 11:36 AM
the bucks are looking strong .. defensive team with scorers.. i'm really intereseted in how this season will play out for them

IronMexican
11-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Crazy. I had this guy labeled as a bust before even seeing him play for all the talking he was doing. Making me look stupid.

Milwaukee for a steal.

RedsLakers24
11-15-2009, 12:34 PM
i always liked Jennings over Rubio but i didnt think Jennings would be this good

Ghazi
11-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Jennings may already be a top 5 PG;

1. Deron
2. Parker
3. Nash
4. Jennings
5. Rondo

Don't think I forgot anyone.

boutons_deux
11-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Reversing the logic, BJ couldn't make it Italy, but is an All-Star in NBA. NBA must suck. :)

Xylus
11-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Damn, this dude came out of nowhere. 55 points is fucking sick, I don't care what team you're playing against.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Damn, this dude came out of nowhere. 55 points is fucking sick, I don't care what team you're playing against.

Woulda been great to see him at UA for a year :depressed

ginobili's bald spot
11-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Why did you guys think he would be a bust? The first time I saw him play I was like :wow He had one of the most spectacular highlight reels of passes and dunks I've ever seen from a high school player.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Why did you guys think he would be a bust? The first time I saw him play I was like :wow He had one of the most spectacular highlight reels of passes and dunks I've ever seen from a high school player.

I said from the get go he and Maynor were the only PG's in this class worth the hype. I was wrong there since Lawson is pretty legit, but Jennings was the top player out of his HS class and would have been a top 5 pick if not for a Euroleague team that intentionally didn't play him.

ginobili's bald spot
11-15-2009, 02:14 PM
I said from the get go he and Maynor were the only PG's in this class worth the hype. I was wrong there since Lawson is pretty legit, but Jennings was the top player out of his HS class and would have been a top 5 pick if not for a Euroleague team that intentionally didn't play him.

I'm just glad that KBP got banned. He'd be making threads saying this is proof that euroleague>NBA.

lil_penny
11-15-2009, 02:15 PM
damn im so eating my words about this kid.....

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-15-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm just glad that KBP got banned. He'd be making threads saying this is proof that euroleague>NBA.

:lmao yeah that would piss me off. Jennings obviously had a racist coach who didn't want to see an American black player dominate in Europe even though Jennings could have.

mogrovejo
11-15-2009, 03:14 PM
:lmao yeah that would piss me off. Jennings obviously had a racist coach who didn't want to see an American black player dominate in Europe even though Jennings could have.

You're KBP on reverse. Just as dumb, racist and uninformed as him.

Here's the guy who was playing at Jenning's spot last season:

http://www.euroleague.net/rs/18133/9c86606e-bfa2-4314-864c-aafa82ca5866/d8a/rglang/en-US/filename/ibrahim-jaaber-lottomatica-roma

Black and American.

Here's their most used player last season:
http://www.euroleague.net/rs/17411/9c86606e-bfa2-4314-864c-aafa82ca5866/bbc/rglang/en-US/filename/andre-hutson-lottomatica-roma

Black and American.

And saying that he didn't get playing time is a persistent myth: in the Euroleague, he player 19:35 mpg. That's what most top rotation players in Europe play. Heck, we're talking about KBP: Spanoulis made the All-Euroleague team averaging 22:10 mpg. As KBP, and it saddens my heart to say he got at least right, most NBA fans are just ignorant of basketball outside their yard.

Jennings was a rookie last season, with much too learn - that's why he wasn't productive, even though his coaches played him a lot. But he's a workaholic, and it's showing: he spent last season practicing his jump-shot and the pick'n'roll (European teams use a lot of practising time - and there's a lot of practice in Europe - in those two things) and he's incredibly improved in those areas. It was already showing last season, the differential in his FG% in the season splits was enormous. He grew up a lot as a player in Europe, very wise decision for him. Unlike college kids, he's not really a true-rookie in the NBA.

Ghazi
11-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Mooooo grooooo with the dagggerrrr

mavs>spurs2
11-15-2009, 03:21 PM
DoK..sorry you're a good guy and all but...

RAPESAUCE :wow

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah I just got owned. Well done.

JMarkJohns
11-15-2009, 03:59 PM

One West Coast scout who started his career in the early 80s, said Jennings was the best PG prospect he'd ever seen - AS A SOPHOMORE. Such prospects he'd seen in that time: Kevin Johnson, Gary Payton and Jason Kidd.

Woulda been great to see him at UA for a year :depressed

Damn shame the kid couldn't qualify. Damn shame Lute couldn't be his coach. Would love to have seen the team Arizona could have had play last season.

PG: Jennings, Wise
SG: Bayless, Fogg
SF: Budinger
PF: Hill, Horne
C: Withey
COACH: Lute

That team makes some serious noise, and absolutely owns the Pac-10.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Damn shame the kid couldn't qualify. Damn shame Lute couldn't be his coach. Would love to have seen the team Arizona could have had play last season.

PG: Jennings, Wise
SG: Bayless, Fogg
SF: Budinger
PF: Hill, Horne
C: Withey
COACH: Lute

That team makes some serious noise, and absolutely owns the Pac-10.

I remember how amped I was for that season. Then Bayless entered the draft, and the dominoes began to fall.

JMarkJohns
11-15-2009, 04:04 PM
I remember how amped I was for that season. Then Bayless entered the draft, and the dominoes began to fall.

There were rumors as early as the first weeks in May that Jennings likely would fail his SAT and not qualify. I wouldn't doubt it if Jennings filled Bayless in on his probable trek to Europe, making Bayless' mind up for him.

Once Bayless jumped ship, Emmanuel Negedu, Jennings and Jeff Withey all followed suit, the latter doing so once Lute retired.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-15-2009, 04:16 PM
There were rumors as early as the first weeks in May that Jennings likely would fail his SAT and not qualify. I wouldn't doubt it if Jennings filled Bayless in on his probable trek to Europe, making Bayless' mind up for him.

Once Bayless jumped ship, Emmanuel Negedu, Jennings and Jeff Withey all followed suit, the latter doing so once Lute retired.

There were also rumors Bayless jumped ship cause he despised Olson and didn't want to play for him. It sucks cause the Jennings Bayless Wise back court would have been as electric as when Illinois had Dee Brown Luther Head and Deron Williams.

mogrovejo
11-15-2009, 05:17 PM
European coaches love American players, black or white, for a very simple reason - they are generally their best players (KBP wouldn't tell you that) and those guys need to win ball games to make a living. This isn't so true for the top teams, that have money to fill their rosters with the good European players, so Americans end up being co-stars or role-players unless they're real exceptional (e.g. Anthony Parker in his prime, when he was an athletic freak and not only an intelligent player and great shooter), but 98% of the teams live and die accordingly to the performance of their American players.

Sure there are racist European coaches - google Pini Gershon - just as there are racist American coaches, whites and blacks alike, but they won't stop playing their best players because of their colour. Heck, European coaches and clubs like American players so much that most European countries have quotas limiting the number of foreign players teams can play, in order to force clubs to develop some of the national talent.

It's a shame that in the middle of all this hype for Jennings, Bogut, the main responsible for the Bucks record, doesn't get the props he deserves. It didn't happen this season: he started turning it around in the last half of 07/08 when clueless ballhog Mo Williams went down and was having a tremendous season last year till he fell down to injury himself. This season he's just carrying over.

Bogut is, above everything, a terrific defender and rebounder - I never see this coming till 2 seasons ago. He doesn't make flashy plays defensively, but, IMO, only an in-form Garnett and Howard are better/more impact-full defensive players in the league right now. He's very smart closing driving lanes, moving his feet to contest shots, a great communicator, very quick moving his feet around... just a clever defender who anticipates what the offence is going to do very well and reacts smartly and quickly. Solid scored that forces a double every time, great passer, especially from the high post - his biggest flaws are FT and the lack of range.

Yeah, I find it odd that people in this forum are always talking about Bynum and Oden as the next big things when Bogut isn't much older than them and a way better player - Oden is a marginally better rebounder and shot-blocker, Bynum has a more refined touch, but Bogut is way ahead on everything else and not far behind on those things. Easily one of the top centers in the league for years to come and yet I can see the guy missing the ASG and the All-Defense teams. Btw, kudos to Jennings, he's always stressing in interviews that Bogut's presence is what's allowing him to excel.

duncan228
11-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Jennings’ epic night was short time coming (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-jenningsbucks111509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

Near midnight, they were walking out of the Bradley Center together, Brandon Jennings and Kris Stone, the fabulous Milwaukee Bucks rookie and the young sneaker executive. In the background, you could still hear people congratulating Jennings, delirious over the kind of performance they hadn’t seen out of a rookie in almost 40 years there, hadn’t seen since the savior was named Lew Alcindor.

Jennings had gone for 55 points on the Golden State Warriors Saturday night, one of the greatest rookie performances in history. He obliterated Alcindor’s 51 points in 1970, and nearly passed Wilt Chamberlain’s rookie record 58 for Philadelphia in ’60. Jennings was chasing ghosts in that old gym. Most of all, he’s dared to transform the beleaguered basketball town of Milwaukee, with so much NBA history, so much pride, into a Bucks town again.

“We’re going to find a place to eat,” Stone said by phone. “It’s slim pickings this late here.”

Stone and Jennings have had a lot of dinners together, a lot of talks, here in the States and across Italy and Europe. Everyone will tell you they believed in Jennings, that they knew, but no one invested like Stone.

Everyone knows Jennings’ story now. They know about his resolve surviving the benchings and loneliness as a teenager in Italy. They know the time for NBA executives to scout him was at the practices with Lottomatica, the late nights and early mornings shooting in the gym. Everyone knows that Jennings challenged the system, defied the false gods of college basketball and pursued a trailblazing path.

When Under Armour hired Stone to get into the basketball endorsement game, all he did was bank his career, his credibility, on a skinny lefty kid who everyone feared would be broken overseas and an afterthought in the 2009 draft. Only, Stone always believed he had a deeper understanding of Jennings.

To Stone, there’s one story that tells it all. There’s a reference to which he always returns. Three years ago, Jennings had come to New York as a high school junior to play in the Elite 24 all-star game that Stone had started, and he won the MVP over players like Michael Beasley and Kevin Love. The next morning, it was Stone’s job to drive over to the Westin Hotel in Times Square and make sure the kids were awake by 8 a.m. on the way to LaGuardia for flights home. So, Stone walked into the hotel lobby at 6, the elevator doors opened and there was a vision that brought him back to his days growing up in the Bay Area.

“And here comes Brandon walking out with a basketball under his arm, a T-shirt and shorts,” Stone said. “He had just achieved his greatest accomplishment as a high school player, and he’s running out the door to go work out with Ben Gordon. That always stuck with me.”

Stone was raised in Oakland, and something about Jennings’ staying power always brought him back to his best friend from the Bay Area: Jason Kidd. “I just saw the same mental strength with Brandon that Jason has always had, and I just knew it would carry Brandon,” Stone said. “I knew I could believe in him.”

Now, Stone had passed his cell phone to Jennings, the 20 year old, and you could still hear the kid’s voice crackling late Saturday night. Fifty-five points had come without him scoring until the second quarter. He had 29 in the third quarter, when Jennings had made 12 straight shots, when the 10th pick in the draft looked like the runaway Rookie of the Year.

“The shots kept going in, and after a while the rim kept getting bigger and bigger and I just felt like I couldn’t miss,” Jennings said. “I guess I was in that zone, you know? But that doesn’t happen without [Andrew] Bogut down low, scoring in the post and opening things up for me. I’m not doing this alone here.”

Almost though, almost. Jennings talked about the New York Knicks passing on him at No. 8 on draft day, about losing out on the chance to resurrect one of the league’s glamour franchises, to make Madison Square Garden his own.

“I feel like I understand why teams like the Knicks passed on me, because I didn’t put up big numbers in Italy last year,” he said. “But you needed to see me in the practices, and the workouts, to see how I was coming along there. Hey, I’m a gym rat. You had to know that about me.”

Hours earlier, Jennings had arrived to the Bradley Center at 3 p.m. for a game at 8 to shoot with Bucks assistant Kelvin Sampson. They do it every day. Sometimes, he gets up 500 shots before they leave the gym. Eventually, Michael Redd will return to the floor and the Bucks won’t need Jennings to score so many points. He’s on his way to becoming an improbable Rookie of the Year, but insists, “Really, I’m not thinking about that at all. What I want is to keep this team winning, and get the Bucks to the playoffs. That’s what everyone wants here.”

Milwaukee has been down a long time, and here comes this skinny 20-year-old kid on a cold Saturday night in November chasing one of Alcindor’s records right out of the Bradley Center. It was past midnight now, and they were on the way out of the arena to grab dinner downtown. Jennings had a restaurant in mind, a quiet spot where they could talk about a forever night, maybe Jennings’ biggest since he had come to New York as a young teenager and won the MVP and announced himself as the best guard in America.

All along, Stone believed Jennings was the one, and he probably risked his job on it. Before Stone hung up, he laughed and made one promise about the kid. “All I know,” Kris Stone said, “is that Brandon is treating tonight.”

duncan228
11-15-2009, 05:21 PM
mFBg1LLYC_k

RedsLakers24
11-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I find it odd that people in this forum are always talking about Bynum and Oden as the next big things when Bogut isn't much older than them and a way better player - Oden is a marginally better rebounder and shot-blocker, Bynum has a more refined touch, but Bogut is way ahead on everything else and not far behind on those things. Easily one of the top centers in the league for years to come and yet I can see the guy missing the ASG and the All-Defense teams. Btw, kudos to Jennings, he's always stressing in interviews that Bogut's presence is what's allowing him to excel.

Bynum has dominated Bogut, Bogut cannot guard Bynum

mogrovejo
11-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Bynum has dominated Bogut, Bogut cannot guard Bynum

So? By that reasoning, Bogut was better than Duncan 2 seasons ago and Pecherov was better than Garnett and some random scrubs were better than Bynum. And when? If it was when the Bucks had the worst defensive team in the league, he couldn't even guard Adonal Foyle, their perimeter defence was so bad that he was always out of position.

Bogut is a flat out better player than Bynum - better creating his shot, way better passer, better defender, better rebounder

RedsLakers24
11-15-2009, 05:37 PM
So? By that reasoning, Bogut was better than Duncan 2 seasons ago and Pecherov was better than Garnett and some random scrubs were better than Bynum. And when? If it was when the Bucks had the worst defensive team in the league, he couldn't even guard Adonal Foyle, their perimeter defence was so bad that he was always out of position.

Bogut is a flat out better player than Bynum - better creating his shot, way better passer, better defender, better rebounder

Just mad cuz Bynum is Avergaing 20 and 10, Bynum has been impresive, look at his foot work and Bogut is AVG 15 and 9

mogrovejo
11-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Whatever, pick Bynum for your fantasy team.

Why are people here so emotional and reactionary, especially about the players on their teams? That's what makes impossible to have a decent basketball conversation here. Bogut vs. Bynum vs. Oden is an interesting subject, but people will just fill rants with primitive stats and ad hominem remarks.

mogrovejo
11-15-2009, 06:20 PM
i always liked Jennings over Rubio but i didnt think Jennings would be this good

The scary thing is that Rubio won't be worse than Jennings. I was down on Rubio last season, because I wasn't seeing enough improvement on his game, but he's been proving me wrong this season. He's playing like a freak and as the best PG in Europe by far right now and doing it with a game that will translate very well to the NBA.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-15-2009, 06:28 PM
i hope this guy gets ROY instead of Powder Griffin.

Would be hilarious and prove once again that OU products of every sport suck taint.

DPG21920
11-15-2009, 06:33 PM
i hope this guy gets ROY instead of Powder Griffin.

Would be hilarious and prove once again that OU products of every sport suck taint.

Very good timing. Wait for VY to win.....then BAM.

Shastafarian
11-15-2009, 06:34 PM
I can't wait for this to turn into an OU/UT pissing contest. Both your schools suck. There, now we can move on.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-15-2009, 06:43 PM
let the pissing begin

ford lamarcus and durant beg to differ

DPG21920
11-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Peterson is better in his sport then all of them. Just saying. I am a neutral as well.

Shastafarian
11-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Ford, Aldridge, Durant All-Star Selections - 0

This thread is about Jennings not your shitty school.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Uh yeah and I was saying good thing he's kicking ass so he can get ROY instead of powder

breh

Shastafarian
11-15-2009, 06:54 PM
The 55 point game was great but the game before against a decent team in Denver he had 32 pts (on 11-18 shooting), 9 assists, and 4 boards. Obviously not as impressive as the 55 points but pretty damn good as well. He's really only had one mediocre game so far at Minny.

Chieflion
11-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Jennings also has great killer instinct. He knows when to take over.I remember the game against Detroit when the game was tied at 55. He took over and scored 7 straight or something and blew the game wide open to win. Jennings is slowly making the Bucks my second favorite team.

duncan228
11-15-2009, 08:36 PM
A night after 55, Bucks’ Jennings moves on (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-bucks-dynamicjennings&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Colin Fly

So much for a day off.

The Milwaukee Bucks didn’t practice Sunday, but rookie point guard Brandon Jennings was back in the suburban training facility working on his shot a night after scoring 55 points in his seventh career game, the most by a rookie in the NBA in 41 years.

Jennings’ phenomenal performance in a 129-125 victory over Golden State elevated him into lofty company.

He broke Milwaukee’s franchise rookie scoring mark held by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, joined LeBron James as the only two players to score at least 55 points in a game before turning 21 and fell three points shy of Wilt Chamberlain’s NBA rookie record set in 1960.

“Last night, that’s the past,” Jennings told The Associated Press by phone after his Sunday session.

The 20-year-old from Los Angeles was back at work, just as he did last season as a pro overseas.

“I try to get 600, 700 shots up just to keep my rhythm going, to stay fresh like in Europe,” he said. “I never had a day off, so that’s something I’m kind of used to right now, is always playing and playing and playing.”

The prep star decided to skip college when he had trouble qualifying and moved to Europe, where he mostly sat the bench but said he learned a lot with twice daily practices. He also had little outside life beyond the gym, but his lack of playing time and questions about his jump shot had him dropping on the draft board until Milwaukee selected him 10th.

Against the Warriors, he missed his first three shots and went 4 of 13 from the field in the first half.

“I came back in the locker room and just said, ‘Start making shots,”’ Jennings said. “I just had it in my head the whole time. Once I got out there (in the third quarter), the first couple of shots went in, then the third one went in, then the fourth one, then the fifth one went in.

“After a while, the rim kept looking like it got bigger and bigger and I couldn’t miss.”

Indeed.

Jennings hit his first 12 shots in a 29-point spree and only missed his final shot of the quarter, a 3-pointer with 5.9 seconds left. The performance effectively put any questions of his shaky jump shot to rest.

“My confidence is way sky high right now,” said Jennings, who has scored in double figures in six of his first seven games (he had nine points in the other).

It also has helped his teammates and coach Scott Skiles believe in him. Skiles said he had a similar feeling remembering Michael Jordan score at will one night.

“I was in a game when Michael had over 60 once. I don’t know exactly what to say,” Skiles said immediately after the victory. “(Jennings) felt we needed to be picked up and we went to our pick-and-roll game and spread the floor and he got hot again.”

Center Andrew Bogut wasn’t so sure.

“I don’t think we were working the roll game, I think we were just working the pick game,” Bogut said. “He was doing a hell of a job shooting the ball.”

Jennings, averaging 25.6 points, said Skiles’ belief in him is helping him not to worry about being pulled for an early mistake.

“For him to give me the opportunity to go out there and showcase my talent, I think that’s real big of him, especially because I’m just a rookie,” Jennings said. “A lot of coaches don’t give rookies a lot of chances.”

Jennings deferred the magnitude of his performance, only saying that being in the same sentence as James is “awesome.” He’s more interested in matching up with the Dallas Mavericks and Jason Kidd on Monday night, and he didn’t hesitate to say what his favorite moment of the season is so far.

“My first game of the season, playing down in Philly,” he said.

Why?

“I was real nervous. I think I play better when I’m nervous and I almost had a triple-double,” said Jennings, who finished with 17 points, nine assists and nine rebounds that night. “That was pretty impressive.”

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-15-2009, 08:39 PM
European coaches love American players, black or white, for a very simple reason - they are generally their best players (KBP wouldn't tell you that) and those guys need to win ball games to make a living. This isn't so true for the top teams, that have money to fill their rosters with the good European players, so Americans end up being co-stars or role-players unless they're real exceptional (e.g. Anthony Parker in his prime, when he was an athletic freak and not only an intelligent player and great shooter), but 98% of the teams live and die accordingly to the performance of their American players.

Sure there are racist European coaches - google Pini Gershon - just as there are racist American coaches, whites and blacks alike, but they won't stop playing their best players because of their colour. Heck, European coaches and clubs like American players so much that most European countries have quotas limiting the number of foreign players teams can play, in order to force clubs to develop some of the national talent.

It's a shame that in the middle of all this hype for Jennings, Bogut, the main responsible for the Bucks record, doesn't get the props he deserves. It didn't happen this season: he started turning it around in the last half of 07/08 when clueless ballhog Mo Williams went down and was having a tremendous season last year till he fell down to injury himself. This season he's just carrying over.

Bogut is, above everything, a terrific defender and rebounder - I never see this coming till 2 seasons ago. He doesn't make flashy plays defensively, but, IMO, only an in-form Garnett and Howard are better/more impact-full defensive players in the league right now. He's very smart closing driving lanes, moving his feet to contest shots, a great communicator, very quick moving his feet around... just a clever defender who anticipates what the offence is going to do very well and reacts smartly and quickly. Solid scored that forces a double every time, great passer, especially from the high post - his biggest flaws are FT and the lack of range.

No need to rub it in I admitted you won.

mogrovejo
11-15-2009, 08:58 PM
No need to rub it in I admitted you won.

LOL, I didn't mean it that way, I thought it was an interesting issue to expand a little further. Sorry if it sounded that way.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-15-2009, 09:00 PM
LOL, I didn't mean it that way, I thought it was an interesting issue to expand a little further. Sorry if it sounded that way.

I was kidding :lol

mogrovejo
11-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Fuck you then.

adidas11
11-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Damn...very impressive. I had a feeling that he would be solid in the NBA after his European experience, but didn't expect him to score like bangbusters so quickly.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-15-2009, 10:18 PM
:lmao@Xylus's new sig and avatar! You're a good sport, mate. :)

Well said. Yeah, he is a very smart player, and his skills are improving every year. You know why no-one talks about him? Because, like most Aussies, he's a straight shooter, and he honestly answered a question about the habits of NBA players: "The public's got it right, a lot of NBA stars are arrogant and like to spend lots of money and have lots of girlfriends and all that." Ever since he called it like it is no-one talks about him.

Why are people here so emotional and reactionary, especially about the players on their teams? That's what makes impossible to have a decent basketball conversation here. Bogut vs. Bynum vs. Oden is an interesting subject, but people will just fill rants with primitive stats and ad hominem remarks.

Totally. :tu

duhoh
11-16-2009, 12:44 AM
Reversing the logic, BJ couldn't make it Italy, but is an All-Star in NBA. NBA must suck. :)

won't a statement like that bring back KBP? :lmao