PDA

View Full Version : Why does Roger Mason suck now?

dallasmaverickslose
11-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Last year, as you all know, Roger Mason was an absolute beast. He was probably one of the best FA pick-ips we've had in ages.

However, since this dramatic offseason, it seems something has happened. Not only has he barely been used, but when he has played, his production has seemed to be really low.

What the heck has happened to Roger Mason?

SequSpur
11-14-2009, 11:58 PM
dude, he barely played tonight...nothing is wrong with him...Pop is tanking games to get in the lottery.

Quiet Strength
11-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Pop played him backup pg and he hasn't recovered

Austin_Toros
11-15-2009, 12:00 AM
Mason has gone from hero last season to warming the bench.

dallasmaverickslose
11-15-2009, 12:01 AM
What angers me is that he was excelling as a starter, then we just bench him and barely give him any playing time.

SenorSpur
11-15-2009, 12:04 AM
At the start of the season, Pop decided to start Finley as a reward for a good camp. GMAFB! Pop's undying loyalty to old-heads is amazing. We all saw how Mason excelled in a starting role. Pop needs to put the productive players on the floor, in situations where they can best excel.

MaNu4Tres
11-15-2009, 12:05 AM

:jack

sabar
11-15-2009, 12:08 AM

If he's that emotionally fragile after half a year, he's useless.

SequSpur
11-15-2009, 12:08 AM
This is a stupid topic... RMJ hasn't even hit the rotation yet...gmafb

MaNu4Tres
11-15-2009, 12:11 AM
I hear Pop putting Mason at back up pg last year hurt his on the ball defense.

Not to mention help defense.

Only if Pop kept him at SG maybe he could be in the running for all -defensive team.

It's Pop's fault Mason's overall game blows.

kobyz
11-15-2009, 12:16 AM
he is a bad player, he only know to shoot wild open threes without doing nothing else on offense and he is the worst defender on the team, does not have basketball IQ.
last year all the wild open threes he made most of them against non existence regular season defenses, make you fall to the hype and make you blind about him, old Finley is still better player than him.

MaNu4Tres
It's ALL Pop's fault the only thing Mason can do above average for an NBA player is shoot. Isn't it guys?

Quiet Strength
I hear Pop putting Mason at back up pg last year hurt his on the ball defense.

Not to mention help defense.

Only if Pop kept him at SG maybe he could be in the running for all -defensive team.

It's Pop's fault Mason's overall game blows.

After pop put him at backup pg mason lost his shot which is all he really had. Pops decision did mess up masons game last season for whatever reason

Malik Hairston
Mason's a bum, I outplayed him all preseason

thispego
bc he's not getting any pt

MaNu4Tres
11-15-2009, 12:17 AM
I wonder if dallasmaverickslose is Roger Mason.

MaNu4Tres
11-15-2009, 12:18 AM
After pop put him at backup pg mason lost his shot which is all he really had. Pops decision did mess up masons game last season for whatever reason

Just stop.

Dunc n Dave
11-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Yes, he hasn't seen a lot of playing time, but he also is missing WIDE OPEN 3's. How is he supposed to get more time on the court if he shoots 22% from 3?

Yeah, that's not a typo. He's shooting 22%.... and 28% overall...

Quiet Strength
11-15-2009, 12:21 AM
Just stop.

Why? Because you say? Oh please. Did you not watch every spurs game last season... After pop put him at backup pg mason couldnt buy a damn shot. Mason could not play pg because he is not one. I'm not going to put all the blame on pop because its masons fault that he sucks ass right now but mason did lose his shot after pop made him backup

Dunc n Dave
11-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Why? Because you say? Oh please. Did you not watch every spurs game last season... After pop put him at backup pg mason couldnt buy a damn shot. Mason could not play pg because he is not one. I'm not going to put all the blame on pop because its masons fault that he sucks ass right now but mason did lose his shot after pop made him backup

Mason got fewer open looks after Pop played him at PG, that much is true. But this season Mason isn't taking advantage of the open looks he's getting. Like I said he's shooting 22% from 3pt in 7 games, and I've seen him miss COUNTLESS open shots.

Quiet Strength
11-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Mason got fewer open looks after Pop played him at PG, that much is true. But this season Mason isn't taking advantage of the open looks he's getting. Like I said he's shooting 22% from 3pt in 7 games, and I've seen him miss COUNTLESS open shots.

He has to stay on the bench in my opinion. The spurs dont need him right now.

Spursfan 87
11-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Overrated

celldweller
11-15-2009, 02:01 AM
Simple! Mason doesn't play defense!

BillMc
11-15-2009, 02:14 AM
simple! Mason doesn't play defense!

+1

duhoh
11-15-2009, 02:37 AM
this thread sucks more than RMJ

SpurmzKilla
11-15-2009, 04:14 AM
Last year, as you all know, Roger Mason was an absolute beast. He was probably one of the best FA pick-ips we've had in ages.

However, since this dramatic offseason, it seems something has happened. Not only has he barely been used, but when he has played, his production has seemed to be really low.

What the heck has happened to Roger Mason?

Quit trying to act like you EVER had a chance against the champs. go cry your way to the lottery and then act like you didn't throw the season to get the #1 pick AGAIN. Wimps can't even win the right way and then moan like bitches when your exposed for the dirty ass river rat old senior sitisen losers that you really are. Laker Nation

MaNu4Tres
11-15-2009, 04:28 AM
Anyone here have pokerstars? JW

JustinJDW
11-15-2009, 04:52 AM
Roger Mason isn't that great a Defender. All he is really good at is shooting 3's. He can't handle the ball, he can't penetrate, he can't create for other teammates, hell he can't really create for himself.

The only thing he can do is shoot. Last year, he fit alright in the Starting Lineup because Tony and Tim sucked in Defenses and got him open looks, and you know what, he knocked them down. Which is why Pop played him.

This year, he still sucks on Defense, he still can't penetrate and he still can't create for other teammates. NOW, he has lost his shooting touch and is missing 3's like crazy.

So tell me, what the hell is he good for now? Why should Pop put him in the Starting Lineup over guys like Keith Bogans, who can knock down his shots and better yet, play awesome Defense?

If Roger Mason gets his shot back like the one he had last Season, I would love for him to be in the Starting Lineup again. We don't need him to do anything else because we have guys like Tim, Tony, Manu and now RJ. We need him to knock down shots from everywhere. If he can start doing that again, I would love to see him back in the Starting Lineup and hitting 3's like nobody's business.

Until then, he is pretty much useless. It's the truth people.

Spurs Brazil
11-15-2009, 06:33 AM
That RMJ was good last year is BS

He played OK until the All Star Break, after that he was terrible. His playoff performance was worst than Finley.

I don't see him getting minutes playing so bad on D, Finley is as bad as him, but Pop loves him

raspsa
11-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Only way to break out of a slump is to keep shooting.. hard to do sitting on the bench.

TIMMYD!
11-15-2009, 02:54 PM
only way to break out of a slump is to keep shooting.. Hard to do sitting on the bench.

+1

Whisky Dog
11-15-2009, 04:10 PM
I agree Mase should start and should have started from day 1 because his catch and shoot game works better with Parker and Duncan's game. I don't think he should get big min but should be on the court with Parker and Duncan at times. I'm sure Pop will figure this jigsaw out eventually.

Fwiw I would completely bench finley and use mason in that role.

spursnatic
11-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Pop needs to start Mason, so he can show what he can do?...If anyone paid attention last year as soon as he got benched he started playing like shit...And then all out fell off the planet....IMO, he needs to be starting....DUNCAN-MCDYESS-JEFFERSON-MASON-PARKER....

duncan228
11-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Gregg Popovich doesn't want to admit it, but Roger Mason Jr. is in a bona fide shooting slump. A year after shooting a career-best 42.1 percent from 3-point range, and earning an invite to the NBA's 3-point shootout during All-Star weekend, Mason is hitting at just a 22.2-percent clip so far this season. He's 6 of 27.

Some of it, of course, is a lack of opportunity. Mason is averaging less than 18 minutes a game. Popovich tends to blame Mason's low percentage on a small sample size.

"We've only played a couple of games," Popovich said. "He hasn't shot very much. I didn't even know he was in a slump."

It is worth noting that Mason did not make an appearance against the Thunder until the start of the fourth quarter, and only then after Popovich opted to rest Manu Ginobili and his tight hamstring.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139546

Cant_Be_Faded
11-15-2009, 04:58 PM
First and foremost is playing time.

Second, is that most of the looks he is getting are from the Bowen Spot. He missed like three of these at least against the Mavs. They are corner threes, and while he has been wide open as hell, he clanks these.

I have seen him get little or no attempts from his sweet spot, which is the top/slightly to the side spot beyond the 3 point line. What we have seen when Pop stupidly asked him to handle the ball alot in game 1-3 is him trying to dribble to these spots and fire away. It often results in him taking a 3 pointer like 4 feet beyond the three point line.

He shouldn't be handling the ball, he sucks nutsack at that. And we should not be leaving him as a spot-up Bowen Spot shooter. George Hill is way better than him at that anyways. If Parker could remember how to dribble and pass properly, and we set him up beyond the arc where he always succeeds, he will get back into a rhythm.

I'm not giving up on him, but beyond that, even if he does find a stroke and becomes old RMJ, that guy just does not have a spot on this team. Too many other players we have to play. Primarily, Hill.

HarlemHeat37
11-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Mason shot 45% from 3s on the left "Bowen spot", and 41% from 3s on the right "Bowen spot" last year..113 attempts, so it wasn't a small sample size..that has nothing to do with why he's struggling..

He's just struggling, and he doesn't do anything significant when his shot is off..

Hairston should be given a shot to take Finley/Mason minutes, he gives us a better fit than either of them IMO..

lennyalderette
11-15-2009, 05:52 PM
well the main reason is hes not playing.pretty simple more playing time more points eventually

leather_jerk
11-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Mason is a grade A scrub. LMAO at all the silly spurs fans that thought/think he's worth anything because he made some clutch shots in the extended preseason.

It's really mind-boggling, you'd figure a fan base that follows a team with the success rate of the spurs would know better than to give two shits about a one dimensional stiff like mason, like he could be your savior.

lennyalderette
11-15-2009, 05:59 PM
leather jerk were not saying the mans an allstar but we would like some production off the bench and what he showed us last year, he is more than capable of coming off the bench and being an offensive threat. you know like the "silly" laker fans that think bynum knees are going to last long for them 23 with major knee problems, you guys are a joke! promise he wont last all season. promise

DPG21920
11-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Why do some Spurs fans act like players 1-15 on the roster should all be all stars? You need "one-dimensional scrubs" like Mason on teams in order to win. It is called role players and balance.

z0sa
11-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Why do some Spurs fans act like players 1-15 on the roster should all be all stars? You need "one-dimensional scrubs" like Mason on teams in order to win. It is called role players and balance.

Because some spursfans, aka many, don't know shit about basketball.

callo1
11-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Mason has always been the kind of player that will hit a 3 then give one back with this horrid defense.

Suns player through and through.

mogrovejo
11-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Roger Mason isn't that great a Defender. All he is really good at is shooting 3's. He can't handle the ball, he can't penetrate, he can't create for other teammates, hell he can't really create for himself.

The only thing he can do is shoot. .

This.

Mason weaknesses are way bigger than his strengths. He's a one-dimentional player on the wing - he can shoot, but he can't do anything else - defend, rebound, create.

Now, he can defend the PG position and be used as a backup PG paired with a ball-handling wing like Manu. But the Spurs already have George Hill - who's a superior player - for that.

The Spurs should dump Mason and Finley - two one-dimentional players that don't fit any of their needs - and get a long forward able to rebound and to matchup with small line-ups.

Drewlius
11-15-2009, 10:27 PM
mason's a bum, i outplayed him all preseason

troof!

Drewlius
11-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Anyone here have pokerstars? JW

Yes, why?

Sigz
11-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Mason sucks.

Why Pop even TRIES to make him run the point is just as moronic as starting Matt Bonner.

SpurmzKilla
11-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Mason sucks.

Why Pop even TRIES to make him run the point is just as moronic as starting Matt Bonner.

SPURMZ have the stupidest fans.

Laker Nation

Sigz
11-15-2009, 11:24 PM
SPURMZ have the stupidest fans.

Laker Nation

LA faggot.

xellos88330
11-15-2009, 11:27 PM
I think that the slump Mason is in might be because of the weight loss. He said he lost around 15 lbs to get faster. I don't recall him having lost that much weight before in his career. The lost weight is probably adding elevation to his jumper throwing his shot release off by an inch or two. I am not worried about it, he just needs to get the new timing down. Shooting in practice is a ton different than shooting in an actual game.

SpurmzKilla
11-15-2009, 11:31 PM
LA faggot.

yah right...
Who is the raining NBA champion?

and

Who is the bitch wineing that your players suck? Spurmz Fans are so pathetic:
after a win- "We are the best team in the world BUT I hate every player on my team that didn't score 25 points"

after a loss- "We suck I hate every player that didn't score 25 points. OH MY GOD WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO WE SUCK SO BAD I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M A SPURMZ FAN WE'RE NOT GONNA MAKE THE PLAYOFFS WE'RE GONNA HALF TO CHEAT OUR WAY TO THE LOTTERY AGAIN WE ARE DOOMED LET'S TRADE ROGER MASON FOR DWIGHT HOWARD AND THEN ALL OUR PROBLEMS WILL BE SOLVED EXCEPT POPAZIT WILL STILL START MATT BONNER AT POINT GUARD CAUSE TONY LONGORIA SHOULD PLAY 2 GUARD. BY THE WAY I'M GAY."

I guess I would suck too if I rooted for a team that I couldn't support 82 games a year.

KB24-the ultimate SPURMICIDE

Laker Nation, bow down to the NEW DYNASTY

Now who's the faggot? faggot.

Sigz
11-15-2009, 11:32 PM
yah right...
Who is the raining NBA champion?

and

Who is the bitch wineing that your players suck? Spurmz Fans are so pathetic:
after a win- "We are the best team in the world BUT I hate every player on my team that didn't score 25 points"

after a loss- "We suck I hate every player that didn't score 25 points. OH MY GOD WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO WE SUCK SO BAD I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M A SPURMZ FAN WE'RE NOT GONNA MAKE THE PLAYOFFS WE'RE GONNA HALF TO CHEAT OUR WAY TO THE LOTTERY AGAIN WE ARE DOOMED LET'S TRADE ROGER MASON FOR DWIGHT HOWARD AND THEN ALL OUR PROBLEMS WILL BE SOLVED EXCEPT POPAZIT WILL STILL START MATT BONNER AT POINT GUARD CAUSE TONY LONGORIA SHOULD PLAY 2 GUARD. BY THE WAY I'M GAY."

I guess I would suck too if I rooted for a team that I couldn't support 82 games a year.

KB24-the ultimate SPURMICIDE

Laker Nation, bow down to the NEW DYNASTY

Now who's the faggot? faggot.

LA Faggot.

SpurmzKilla
11-15-2009, 11:40 PM
LA Faggot.

Nice one, Mr. Pink. I have something to tell you, If you say "LA Faggot" one more time, you will be a failure three times. Spurm sucking bitch. Go watch the WNBA and still lose. Face it, the New Dynasty has begun and the old-azz Spurm suck so bad even their fans don't like them.

Laker Nation

Sigz
11-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Nice one, Mr. Pink. I have something to tell you, If you say "LA Faggot" one more time, you will be a failure three times. Spurm sucking bitch. Go watch the WNBA and still lose. Face it, the New Dynasty has begun and the old-azz Spurm suck so bad even their fans don't like them.

Laker Nation

LA Faggot.

SA210
11-15-2009, 11:48 PM

duhoh
11-16-2009, 12:41 AM

Laker Nation

you really are making an embarrassment of yourself here.

the other Lakeshow guys know what they're talking about.

you're just a LA faggot. :wakeup

AFBlue
11-16-2009, 01:06 AM
My god, I've never been a thread-count whore...but the difference in quality of posts from those over 1K and those under is remarkable. Solid points all around from a number of the veteran posters.

RMJ lacks the opportunity and he's really NOT a scrub. The guy is a stone cold shooter that can fire away from ANYWHERE on the court. He's not the greatest passer or finisher...but unless he's acting as the PG, he's serviceable at both.

Mason just needs to prove he won't be a defensive liability. If he can show consistent defensive effort during his time on the court he'll start to see an uptick in minutes.

It's still very early in the season...hopefully RMJ gets his stroke back, because the Spurs could really use a great shooter down the stretch.

timtonymanu
11-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Haha a year ago people were sucking on his nuts like he's Kobe. But now this year after 8 games, everyone is giving him the Finley treatment. I expected this to happen after all the new acquisitions. I still have hope that Mason will pick it up.

silverblackfan
11-16-2009, 04:06 PM
I am hoping that RMJ finds his shot in the next couple of games. Statistics seem to indicate this will happen (unless they try out a new NBA ball). I think Roger is a cold-blooded assassin and this will start showing again soon.
For for the Defensive side: I am also still waiting to see all the defense he said he was focusing on when he lost the weight. Hopefully, as it is his second year, it is just the new guys messing up the rotation and not his errors. I honestly haven't seen him get enough playing time to be sure.

FilSpursFan
11-16-2009, 07:24 PM
He started his shooting slump last playoff season, he hasn't recovered since. If he don't start improving in the next couple of weeks, i say we trade him...

TDMVPDPOY
11-16-2009, 11:48 PM
fkn mason + finley + mahinmi + 2nd round pick couldve given us jax....

senorglory
11-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Only way to break out of a slump is to keep shooting.. hard to do sitting on the bench.

Practice? Shooting drills? Work with Chip Engelland? Modify shooting style?

Spurs Brazil
11-18-2009, 10:46 PM
Roger Mason Jr is by far the worst Spurs player this season. It's not even close. Finley looks like Jordan when you compare him with Mason

Is a crime sit Malik on the bench to see this crap Mason play

coyotes_geek
11-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Unfortunately, with Parker and now Manu out the Spurs have no choice but to play Mason. Not only play him, but at the point. Ugh.

SenorSpur
11-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Personally, I've seen enough of the Roger Mason experiment. This guy stinks. He absolutely stinks.

I can't believe this is the same guy who was such a clutch shooter last season. At this point I'm longing for Marcus Williams. At least he could handle the rock, run the offense with some intelligence, and not throw dumb-ass, passes at the feet of the bigs.

kbrury
11-18-2009, 11:16 PM
trade mason straight up if we can't get a bigger deal for a promising prospect and or picks. Id rather have M. Williams at this point to see what he can do. Oh an free up Hairston GODDAMN!

ulosturedge
11-18-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm getting pissed. Fuck Mason give his minutes to Malik.

DesignatedT
11-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Wow mason is fucking terrible

Spurs Brazil
11-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Mason sucks so much that we can't trade him for a bag of shit

FUCK YOU MASON

Budkin
He'll recover... I still have faith.

kbrury
bring back vaughn!!!!

TDMVPDPOY
mason does he know its a contract year, why are you playin like shit

loveforthegame
11-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Mason sucks. I can't believe anyone wants to keep him over Finley at this point.

Spurs Brazil
11-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Mason playing PG tonight cost us the W

coyotes_geek
11-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Mason playing PG tonight cost us the W

Couldn't be avoided. No Parker, no Manu, Hill with foul trouble.

ffadicted
11-19-2009, 12:50 AM
I do'nt know what you guys are talking about, Mason played great tonight...