PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Hamstring strain means no Ginobili in fourth

duncan228
11-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Hamstring strain means no Ginobili in fourth (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Hamstring_strain_means_no_Ginobili_in_fourth.html)
Mike Monroe

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he chose to be conservative with the long-term health of star guard Manu Ginobili in the second half of Saturday's game against the Oklahoma City Thunder at the AT&T Center.

Fearful that a left hamstring strain that kept Ginobili out of practice sessions on Thursday and Friday had re-tightened, Popovich held Ginobili out of the fourth quarter of a tight game.

Ginobili also banged knees with Thunder rookie James Harden in the first half, staying on the floor for several seconds after a collision.

“I didn't keep him out because of his knee,” Popovich said. “I kept him out because of a hamstring that's been tight. I just thought it would be best to be conservative than to have that hamstring be worse and lose him for a long period.”

The ultra-competitive Ginobili disagreed with his coach.

“Of course, I always want to play in the fourth quarter, but Pop made a decision and stuck with it,” he said. “(The hamstring) is not worse than the game before. It's actually better.”

Popovich knew Ginobili was unhappy with the decision but stuck by it.

“It's a close call,” he said, “but I would do the same thing again and sit him with that tight hamstring, for sure.”

Ankle updates: Tim Duncan said his sprained left ankle is not yet 100 percent but was happy to come out of Saturday's game, his first all week, without re-injuring it.

“I had a pretty good night,” he said. “I didn't re-injure it and came out pretty unscathed. I've still got some healing to do, and it's not 100 percent, but it feels pretty good.”

Tony Parker, who missed two games after spraining his left ankle on Nov. 6 in Portland, said his ankle felt close to 100 percent.

“I didn't feel totally free,” he said. “I was hurting a little bit, especially in the second half, but overall I felt pretty good.”

Jazzy Ginobilis? Ginobili announced this week that his wife, Many, is pregnant with twins, expected next spring.

Would Popovich, in his 13th season on the bench, consider sticking around long enough to coach the Ginobili twins?

“I hope I'm smart enough not to even try to do something like that,” he said. “I think they might play for Jerry Sloan, though.”

Sloan, 67, is in his 22nd season as head coach of the Utah Jazz.

DAF86
11-15-2009, 12:56 AM
Fuck.

duncan228
11-15-2009, 01:03 AM
http://media.mysanantonio.com/images/thun010A.jpg

alchemist
11-15-2009, 01:05 AM
Ginobili taking a bunch of jump shots saying he was feeling better. :lol good one Manu

Cant_Be_Faded
11-15-2009, 01:07 AM
I'm having a tough time enjoying games this season. Every time Ginobili, Parker, or Duncan take the slightest hit I find myself holding my breath and praying to dear god they are okay.

Too damn injury prone.

Ice009
11-15-2009, 01:09 AM
I said this in the game thread.

No one even replied. I told Timvp that Manu said after the Dallas game that his hamstring got tight. He didn't drive much in the second half of the Dallas game as a precaution, not because he didn't want to.

Anyway another reason that SJax would be useful.

mesothorny
11-15-2009, 01:13 AM
Fuck.

Since they don't actually play again until wednesday, I say HELL YEAH!

I couldn't give a rat's ass about this loss. It sucks, but at this early stage in the season, Manu absolutely has to sit if there's even a whiff of uncertainty about his health. Pop's neurosis (as well as a helluvalot of good luck) will keep this crew in good enough shape for a real push when it counts.

Sean Cagney
11-15-2009, 01:15 AM
I said this in the game thread.

No one even replied. I told Timvp that Manu said after the Dallas game that his hamstring got tight. He didn't drive much in the second half of the Dallas game as a precaution, not because he didn't want to.

Anyway another reason that SJax would be useful.

Ice true, but Jax is not coming here so forget about that right about now. RJ can be useful of they use him right man, he is here for just that and will help IMO.

Ice009
11-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Ice true, but Jax is not coming here so forget about that right about now. RJ can be useful of they use him right man, he is here for just that and will help IMO.

I'm going to cool the SJax talk for a while and start talking about tweaks with the current roster.

I will just say one more time. If the Spurs can't get a big man and Goldenstate actually offer SJax to us for Mason Jr., Finley and Mahinmi then the Spurs should go ahead and do it. It can work. SJax would get all the shots he wants as Parker's game would fit better with SJax than RJ in the starting 5. Then if you move RJ to the bench with Manu you could have the most dangerous bench in the NBA.

Anyway I'll start looking at the current roster now and see what would work better. RJ and TP so far is sucking. RJ has played his best ball when Parker has not been on the court.

antimvp
11-15-2009, 01:38 AM
damn rabies shots

duhoh
11-15-2009, 02:39 AM
damn rabies shots

:lol:lol:lol:lol

MannyIsGod
11-15-2009, 02:40 AM
I'm having a tough time enjoying games this season. Every time Ginobili, Parker, or Duncan take the slightest hit I find myself holding my breath and praying to dear god they are okay.

Too damn Old.

Fixed it for you.

And before you tell me Parker's age, keep in mind he's been playing professional basketball since before most kids here graduate. He's got a LOT of mileage.

HarlemHeat37
11-15-2009, 03:55 AM
It's tough to believe that we're actually going to be healthy when the playoffs roll around..injury problems already, and we're only in November..

there are 3 IL guys..1 of them has already shown his talent..use them, save our main guys, don't take any risks when injuries come up..if Manu's having any problems, don't fucking play him..Parker didn't look healthy enough to play tonight IMO..I still don't know why Duncan played in the Portland game, why risk it so early?..

SpurmzKilla
11-15-2009, 04:17 AM
Like I said, NOBODY can stop Kobe. Jump the cliff now and save yourself the disappointment in Pop-a-zit and his old-azz Spurmz come playoff time.
Laker Nation

Spurs Brazil
11-15-2009, 06:56 AM
The bad thing is hamstring take a while to be 100%

Capt Bringdown
11-15-2009, 07:43 AM
There's no denying the pattern: at this stage in his career, Manu simply cannot stay healthy. I don't see how one can realistically expect him to make it through the playoffs uninjured.