PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs need a kobe

thispego
11-15-2009, 02:07 AM
Richard Jefferson is our kobe. 2nd highest paid player on the team. Duncan is no longer the best player on the team due to age. Jefferson needs to be the new guy to carry the offensive load. parker 2nd but I think RJ was brought in to make our offense dominant and ginobili and duncan should be serving as just complimentary lethal weapons due to their propensity to injury. RJ has been the best guy on his team for the last 3 or 4 seasons so he fits the bill perfectly.

Ice009
11-15-2009, 02:09 AM
Is he a 4th quarter closer. I don't think he is. He is very good and I don't mind making him 2nd option, but he's not a closer which your best player should be.

thispego
11-15-2009, 02:10 AM
He's closed almost every game of his career

Ice009
11-15-2009, 02:11 AM
He's closed almost every game of his career

As the go to guy on offense? I must admit I have never watched RJ much as when I did Bruce usually had him locked down.

mesothorny
11-15-2009, 02:22 AM
Richard Jefferson is our kobe. 2nd highest paid player on the team. Duncan is no longer the best player on the team due to age. Jefferson needs to be the new guy to carry the offensive load. parker 2nd but I think RJ was brought in to make our offense dominant and ginobili and duncan should be serving as just complimentary lethal weapons due to their propensity to injury. RJ has been the best guy on his team for the last 3 or 4 seasons so he fits the bill perfectly.

Jefferson's lack of a step-back or spot-up jumper means that this will be a team effort.

Ginobili will always have the most complete offensive game.

thispego
11-15-2009, 02:25 AM
but he can't deliver on a nightly basis anymore. jefferson has the whole game he's just not getting the touches with the other big 3 on the court

thispego
11-15-2009, 02:27 AM
As the go to guy on offense? I must admit I have never watched RJ much as when I did Bruce usually had him locked down.

I guess im saying RJ should be the main guy during the flow of the game like kobe, but leave crunch time to the coldblooded players like ginobili and duncan

duhoh
11-15-2009, 02:36 AM
I guess im saying RJ should be the main guy during the flow of the game like kobe, but leave crunch time to the coldblooded players like ginobili and duncan

:toast

Ice009
11-15-2009, 02:44 AM

What do you do with Parker then?

thispego
11-15-2009, 03:18 AM
let him be the point guard. he can score but focus on getting others involved and in a flow early and score later when/if needed kinda like Kori said earlier. He and Jefferson should be the top two options on offense

HarlemHeat37
11-15-2009, 03:49 AM
Jefferson isn't even close to being capable of being a #1 option on a decent team..he was brought in to be a #3-4 option, and that's what he should be..

Jefferson's ability to consistently create off the dribble in the perimeter isn't there..he doesn't have that kind of ability..

Parker is fine as a #1 scorer, and Duncan is fine as #2 scorer..I haven't seen anything to make me think otherwise..Parker is clearly fatigued, and Duncan has been good other than the Portland game where he was injured..those are great options to have..

There are only 2 other guys in the NBA on Kobe's level..we aren't going to find one of those..

JustinJDW
11-15-2009, 04:40 AM
Richard Jefferson wont do well trying to be the #1 Option on a Championship Team.

Tony Parker is basically our #1 Option, then Timmy, then Manu and then RJ. We only need Richard Jefferson to score 10-16 points a night. To limit our scoring droughts. To be another Offensive Weapon if our other guys are having trouble.

Changing our entire Team to fit around RJ would be a disaster and ruin our whole Team. RJ is a damn good player, so don't worry. He will get our system and he will learn how to insert himself into our Offense. Lately, he has been driving a lot more and getting to the Free Throw Line rather than settling.

hsxvvd
11-15-2009, 04:48 AM

:td you don't know shit about basketball. j/k :rollin

Ginobili is our 4th quarter "kobe".

Duncan is the go to player.

RJ was never the go to guy in New Jersey, Vince was and only by default in Milwaukee was he called on to play such a role, and they were a losing team.

It's early days, the big three are not even close to 100% and nor should they be in November. I'd be more worried if they were.

Indazone
11-15-2009, 04:52 AM
you guys are loaded. Ginobili and Parker can close out games. You got plenty of closers...no excuses.

Dex
11-15-2009, 01:36 PM
RJ definitely needs to see more shot attempts, but he suffers from the same thing that keeps Ginobili coming off the bench. When you've got two team leaders and superstars like Tim Duncan and Tony Parker, they're going to demand shots. Not verbally, but it's a waste to have those guys on the court and not get them the ball. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave a whole lot of shot attempts left for Richard Jefferson, not to mention the rest of the squad on the floor.

Maybe the answer is to get Jefferson more time on the floor without either Tim or Tony. Maybe it's trying to get him the ball early and let him try to get a rhythm established. Whatever it is, Jefferson definitely looks like a completely different player when the offense is flowing through him, and when he's having to defer to two (and sometimes three) other players.

For some reason though, I just don't see Pop changing the Spurs formula (going through TP and TD) just to accommodate Jefferson.

ElNono
11-15-2009, 01:42 PM
This roster is fine, I believe. We just need to find the right rotations and simply drop some old habits.

edgar
11-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Thats what ive been saying all along! Jefferson is the 2nd highest paid spur! If he isint our main weapon he best be our 2nd..why pay a guy so much money to just be one dimensional and stand around and wait for the ball..shit we are already have one of those overpaid, one dimensionals in Michael Finley. Enough Said!

DPG21920
11-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Please don't compare RJ to Kobe in any way.

edgar
11-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Oh and Im still amazed at all the people here who think Timmy will be better than what he is showing right now. The guy has reached the maximum productivity that he will ever have. Give up those "he will get better" and "its early in the season" sayings. Its utterly pathetic to see so many spurs hopefuls setting themselves up in giving Tim so many high expectations. In the end you are just setting yourself up for utter dissapointment. Tim Duncans productiviy is fair right now and thats the way it will stay this year. And you know what Im okay with that because he isnt the main nor only weapon we have.

j-money24
11-15-2009, 02:49 PM
oh and im still amazed at all the people here who think timmy will be better than what he is showing right now. The guy has reached the maximum productivity that he will ever have. Give up those "he will get better" and "its early in the season" sayings. Its utterly pathetic to see so many spurs hopefuls setting themselves up in giving tim so many high expectations. In the end you are just setting yourself up for utter dissapointment. Tim duncans productiviy is fair right now and thats the way it will stay this year. And you know what im okay with that because he isnt the main nor only weapon we have.

+1

Ice009
11-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Oh and Im still amazed at all the people here who think Timmy will be better than what he is showing right now. The guy has reached the maximum productivity that he will ever have. Give up those "he will get better" and "its early in the season" sayings. Its utterly pathetic to see so many spurs hopefuls setting themselves up in giving Tim so many high expectations. In the end you are just setting yourself up for utter dissapointment. Tim Duncans productiviy is fair right now and thats the way it will stay this year. And you know what Im okay with that because he isnt the main nor only weapon we have.

LOL. Duncan usually starts off slow every year. If you were an actual Spurs fan you'd know that. I am amazed that you don't even know the players on the team you supposedly go for.

He will definitely get better. I'm not saying he will get to MVP level, but he will play better.

ducks
11-15-2009, 05:16 PM
I thought spur fans said manu was as good as kobe and compared him to him

HarlemHeat37
11-15-2009, 05:24 PM
LOL. Duncan usually starts off slow every year. If you were an actual Spurs fan you'd know that. I am amazed that you don't even know the players on the team you supposedly go for.

He will definitely get better. I'm not saying he will get to MVP level, but he will play better.

Duncan has been fine this year, I don't know where a lot of people are seeing so many flaws from him so far..he's been especially good for a guy that didn't do much until preseason..

duncan228
11-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Duncan has been fine this year, I don't know where a lot of people are seeing so many flaws from him so far..he's been especially good for a guy that didn't do much until preseason..

Agreed. This is his preseason. He looks better than I expected him to based on when he started working on the court this summer. He's a solid month behind his usual routine. Throw in the weight loss and getting used to playing in the brace and I have no worries about Duncan at this point. He'll turn it up slowly, and that's being done on purpose. Better he start slow and stay healthy than fade like he did last season after the strong start.

mVp
11-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Jefferson needs to be the new guy to carry the offensive load. parker 2nd

I don't know about RJ being our 1st option but... only 4 shots for him after a 29 point game??? WTF is that??

Parker needs to start looking for his teammates and get guys involved, that's the point guard's duty, he can do that and still get his points, but it seems to me that he's always looking for his own shot, and it pisses me off cause I know he can do a lot more better than that.

Until then, I think RJ should be coming off the bench so he can lead the second unit with Manu.

senorglory
11-16-2009, 02:11 AM
RJ is here to be Sean Elliott, not Kobe Bryant.

thispego
11-16-2009, 11:18 AM
RJ is our only young body that didnt play in the summer who can dominate a basketball game. He and tony should shoulder the offensive load. Parker would be more able if he wasnt worn down from playing nonstop for 3 straight years.

SA210
11-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Ginobili is our 4th quarter "kobe".

thispego
11-16-2009, 11:26 AM
well yeah....

doobs
11-16-2009, 11:38 AM
The Spurs basically have one superstar and three solid second options. That superstar is declining, but one of those solid second options has just entered his prime and has been emerging as a superstar in his own right. And the bench is good enough for the Spurs to always have a starter-quality team on the court, if needed.

The Spurs will be OK. Duncan is still a force on both ends, no matter what his statistics say. RJ may be new and inconsistent, but his addition will earn Manu much-needed rest as the season progresses. Tony is a nearly unstoppable scorer.

Need I mention the other bright spots, like Hill and Bogans and Dice and Blair? The Spurs do not need a Kobe.

xtremesteven33
11-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Spurs have 3 players who have proven they can close out games in the most crucial of games.

Duncan,Parker,Ginobili

Jefferson tried to close it out Saturday night and failed.

da_suns_fan
11-16-2009, 12:26 PM

Shouldnt you be banned for life if you compare Richard Jefferson to Kobe?

Thats like comparing Channing Frye to Duncan.

thispego
11-16-2009, 01:18 PM
shouldnt you be banned for life if you compare richard jefferson to kobe?

Thats like comparing channing frye to duncan.

where did i ever compare rj to kobe?

thispego
11-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Spurs have 3 players who have proven they can close out games in the most crucial of games.

Duncan,Parker,Ginobili

Jefferson tried to close it out Saturday night and failed.

broken play. even duncan admitted the rest of them fucked up and should have called a timeout. Oh and, yeah, Duncan ginobili and parker have never failed to close out a game :rolleyes

BlackBellamy
11-16-2009, 01:40 PM

This.

Findog
11-16-2009, 01:44 PM
The Spurs need a Kobe and the Mavs need a Dwight Howard. Um, good luck with that.

thispego
11-16-2009, 01:44 PM
sean elliott early 90's or sean elliott late 90's? :rolleyes

BlackBellamy
11-16-2009, 01:47 PM
sean elliott early 90's or sean elliott late 90's? :rolleyes

He gets up and can score like early/mid 90's Sean. I hope he can help us win like the late 90's (specifically '98/'99) incarnation did. :rolleyes

thispego
11-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Hopefully rj was brought here with the intention of doing alot more than 98-99 sean elliott was capable of

thispego
11-03-2010, 11:37 PM
bomp

thispego
11-03-2010, 11:37 PM
richard jefferson is pretty good this year

HarlemHeat37
11-03-2010, 11:55 PM
:lol Wait, you bumped a thread where you said Richard Jefferson should be the #1 option?..usually, you bump your own thread for a different reason:lol..

Go back to your specialty, making fun of other poster's babies..

DeadlyDynasty
11-03-2010, 11:58 PM

Cant_Be_Faded
11-03-2010, 11:59 PM
ROFL

my dickhole

RJ is more of a spurs kobe than spurs elliott any day of the choding week

thispego
11-04-2010, 12:02 AM
:lol Wait, you bumped a thread where you said Richard Jefferson should be the #1 option?..usually, you bump your own thread for a different reason:lol..

Go back to your specialty, making fun of other poster's babies..

rofl I was drunk when I made this. wanted to see what people said about it now after jeffersons big game

Cessation
11-04-2010, 02:39 AM
Fuck Bean. All you need is z Dick!! ask anyone :downspin:

11-04-2010, 02:40 AM
only if he comes with a pau gasol to bail him out in the clutch.

cutewizard
11-04-2010, 02:50 AM
I agree!

Cessation
11-04-2010, 02:53 AM
only if he comes with a pau gasol to bail him out in the clutch.

lol You have a point that can't be argued, +! :toast

ezau
11-04-2010, 02:56 AM
Neal is our Kobe, he's our designated rapist. LOL

Cessation
11-04-2010, 02:58 AM

WOW and I thought this board couldn't get any better today :lol,
nice one :toast

hater
11-04-2010, 09:31 AM
so you want RJ to shoot 4-26 in the playoffs?

wontstartdumbthreads
11-04-2010, 09:35 AM

OMG...(loud cough covering up my LOL)

romain.star
11-04-2010, 11:23 AM
why is everyone goin crazy over 4 lil gamez with RJ?

a full season of crap is forgotten with a couple of good games?

Welcome to ST my friend !

it's me
11-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Only one game great game out of.... a lot...... and dude is our Kobe ..........lol

DesignatedT
11-04-2010, 11:48 AM
even now, Duncan is still the best player on this team lmao

lil'mo
11-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Hey stoopidz! this tread was started at the beginning of last year! Try to keep up!

temujin
11-04-2010, 12:04 PM
RJ is our Kobe?
Did he go fishing in Colorado?

thispego
11-04-2010, 12:19 PM
RJ is better than kobe! look at the shooting percentages

kaji157
11-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Manu should always close our games and last game against PHX was a fine example of why.
With Parker and Duncan assigned for the final 5 possessions the Suns simply clogged the lane.
Thatīs why Manu comes so usefull on last minute posessions, he can always shoot the three or assist someone near the basket or make some of his unortodox penetrations.
No player on our team has the variety of shots Manu has.
George Hill was, by the end of last season, the player i was hoping to emerge as our second most complete player, he already has the 3pt, the midrange and somehow a penetration, he should be more consistent with his passing so his own lanes open a bit more.

thispego
11-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Im lookin at them rite now

still not better than kobe.

only look at the ones where rj shoots better %

8FOR!3
11-04-2010, 01:24 PM
I respect the idea, but I just don't think it'll work. I agree, he's here to be Elliott not Kobe. He's obviously become a different player than he's ever been over the offseason, but if he would have to start shooting 90% from the field every night and get those 28 points to become the first option haha, I just don't think it can/will happen.

Brazil
11-04-2010, 01:29 PM
As far as I'm concerned our kobe is Manu. BTW what the spurs need is a Pau

Brazil
11-04-2010, 01:34 PM
whats tim duncan?

to pair with duncan and take over the franchise after tim retires

8FOR!3
11-04-2010, 01:36 PM
How's a guy who's already 30 going to take over the team in a couple of years when Duncan retires? jw

maddnezz
11-04-2010, 01:55 PM
let him be the point guard. he can score but focus on getting others involved and in a flow early and score later when/if needed kinda like Kori said earlier. He and Jefferson should be the top two options on offenseThis:downspin:

elbamba
11-04-2010, 02:07 PM
The expectation for Jefferson should not be similar to Kobe Bryant. Jefferson is not one of the best three players on the Spurs. That was the problem last year, people expected him to be more than he is. Jefferson needs to be a 15 ppg player who occasionally goes for 25-30.

I will say that right now, after a summer of intense free agency, the only major red flag was the overpriced contract that the Spurs gave Jefferson. If Jefferson's play continues to be like it has the past week, his new deal will make the Spurs take second place in the free agent signing this year.

Credit must go to the front office for making some pretty good moves between resigning Jefferson, which no one wanted, signing Tiaggo, Neal and drafting Anderson.

UnWantedTheory
11-04-2010, 05:07 PM
whats tim duncan?

A 34 year old center at this point of his career.

Why the hell are people taking this seriouisly? It was a thread made a year ago....and it was retarded then. Funny folk.

mike20spurs
11-04-2010, 09:03 PM
honestly, the spurs cant pull off the 1st/2nd/3rd etc option. This type of offense goes well woth a team like the Lakers: Kobe-1st Gasol-2nd etc. if the Spurs want to be a true contender we need everyone to contribute as much as they can per night. Whether its Jefferson taking the 3's or neal scoring or duncing posting up or ginobili shooting lights out or parker driving in... we need a team effort. Spurs have to read a chapter from the Celtics book. Everyone contributes, everyone gets credit! that's real Spurs basketball
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:....:lobt2:

angelbelow
11-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Fair enough, lets go fish for one. Im sure the Jordans and the Kobes are a dime a dozen.

analyzed
11-04-2010, 11:00 PM
This is silly, Manu is in the top 5 in the league in scoring avg in closing games ( not sure if it's 4th quarter of last 5 min). Plus like Kobe , Manu is a creator , who creates his own shots or situations for others. RJ is none of this, RJ scores best feeding of others, he plays great along side a passer like Jason Kidd or Manu. He plays best of the ball rather than on the strong side when the offense is set. How is this anywhere remotely close to Kobe ?

Brazil
11-05-2010, 09:50 AM
How's a guy who's already 30 going to take over the team in a couple of years when Duncan retires? jw

You missed the point tbh.

The OP stated we need a kobe = a kobe like player, I say we don't need a kobe like player we need a Pau like player (to stay on the lakers stuff) meaning a big.

Since Jordan no team is winning shit without a dominant big and sorry but since 2007 tim is no more a franchise dominant big at least during the POs.

For this year to have a chance IMHO we need health obviously and we need Tiago to be way over expectation.