PDA

View Full Version : Medical update

Cyrano
11-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Several of you have met my wife at various GTG's over the years, so I thought
I'd give you an update on her condition.
She's been in the hospital for almost two months now, after developing a massive infection and several pressure sores. She was unconscious for a couple of weeks, but came out of it almost two weeks ago, and is now awake
and alert. She still doesn't have much movement, but has regained some sensation and is able to lift her arms again... when she went into the hospital,
she was pretty well paralyzed from the neck down. We finally have a diagnosis
of spinal stenosis of the cervical spine, which resulted in the progressive paralysis over the last few years.
Jan has so far had four surgeries, a colostomy followed by reconstructive surgery on her pressure sores, and has stitches from mid-back to knees. The infections reached her pelvis, and she is now being treated for osteomyelitis, which will take about another month before she can have spinal surgery to relieve the pressure on her spinal cord, and hopefully restore sensation/motion to her arms and legs.
I have set up her laptop in her room with an internet connection, so feel free to send her messages of you'd like.
Her attitude has been very positive lately, and I'm sure she'd like to hear from you.
Anybody have any suggestions on how to celebrate our 35th anniversary next week in an Isolation room at the hospital?

boutons_deux
11-15-2009, 01:43 PM
"finally have a diagnosis of spinal stenosis of the cervical spine"

Stenosis of the spine is, amazing to me, quite common.

Why apparently so long for a diagnosis? Why not years ago when the nerve tingling and pain in the limbs start?

I have a friend whose laminectomy for cervical stenosis was successful, but it's taken a couple years for the pain and tingling to subside.

PM5K
11-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Who is your wife?

jaffies
11-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Sorry to hear that, Cyrano.

Spurstalk sends our best wishes.

Cyrano
11-15-2009, 09:03 PM
The tingling/numbness was misdiagnosed as diabetic neuropathy for quite some time.

callo1
11-15-2009, 09:14 PM
I wish you both the best. Hang in the bud.

iilluzioN
11-15-2009, 10:34 PM
do you have pics of her?

CubanMustGo
11-15-2009, 11:12 PM
do you have pics of her?

Go take some more emo photos with your metrosexual 'friends.'

2Blonde
11-16-2009, 01:29 AM
do you have pics of her?

Why??? She's been married for35 years. You know that makes her old enough to be your .......mother. :lmao :lmao

Cyrano, You and Jan are in my prayers.

iilluzioN
11-16-2009, 01:49 AM
Why??? She's been married for35 years. You know that makes her old enough to be your .......mother. :lmao :lmao

Cyrano, You and Jan are in my prayers.

lol it was a joke.... :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
11-16-2009, 02:13 AM
wish her all the best in recovery god bless

easjer
11-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Hope the progress continues apace. Best wishes.

Taco
11-16-2009, 11:58 AM
We will say a prayer for you, God Bless you guys.

angel_luv
11-16-2009, 03:04 PM
I said a prayer for you as well. Happy anniversary!

SpursBabe99
11-16-2009, 03:53 PM
I hope you two have a wonderful anniversary! She sounds like a such brave, strong woman! Keep it up! You're in my prayers as well.

Cyrano
12-10-2009, 01:12 AM
Today Jan was able to get out of bed and sit up for a couple of hours, and ate her dinner without assistance for the first time in ages. As a treat for her, I bought a DLP projector on Amazon and hung a bedsheet on her wall, and we watched the new Harry Potter movie
in her room, while she sat up and munched popcorn. Not bad for a woman who was in a coma just a few weeks ago!

remingtonbo2001
12-10-2009, 01:25 AM
i said a prayer for you as well. Happy anniversary!

+1

ploto
12-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Today Jan was able to get out of bed and sit up for a couple of hours, and ate her dinner without assistance for the first time in ages. As a treat for her, I bought a DLP projector on Amazon and hung a bedsheet on her wall, and we watched the new Harry Potter movie
in her room, while she sat up and munched popcorn. Not bad for a woman who was in a coma just a few weeks ago!

Happy to hear- keep up the faith!

mrsmaalox
12-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Great progress. My best to both of you :)

BruceBowenFan
12-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Badass to hear man.